Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-11-19, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrios View Post
You also have to take into consideration that the recruiting game has changed completely! Most schools will offer multiple guys for one spot! This was unheard of years ago! Iíve seen schools have almost 200 offers out for a 25 man class! Some offer not just their A, B and C plan guys but their D,E and F plan guys just to say they offered! Just a dozen years ago, most schools wouldnít even bother offering a kid they didnít think they had a legit shot at...quite different now.
Good points
Old 04-21-19, 12:42 AM
All Ohio

BACKBEND is on a distinguished road
Will Coffman get any moves -in's this year ?
Old 04-21-19, 04:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBEND View Post
Will Coffman get any moves -in's this year ?
No .
Old 04-21-19, 04:09 AM
All Yappi

Three in the last 4 years { One from UA in 2015 } , one came mid Frosh Yr. and will graduate and started one year { Last year} and one played five games last year and will be a Junior and one is a rising Sr. who came last year from Westland and missed almost half the year with an injury . The rest were at Coffman from day one .
Old 05-13-19, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

Three months from now will be in the think of scrimmage season and this is the last push for improvement and gains in size strength and speed. Agility footwork , technique and explosiveness are other areas of potential improvement from a physical standpoint.

A lot going on for a handful of Rocks in terms of college visits, camps and offers. All purpose back Senior Drennan we all know has gotten a large truck load of them including Ohio State and Alabama and most powers in between. Junior safety AJ Kirk has a rising list of power five offers and will be the second Junior in Program history to be a three year starter as a Junior, Drennan being the other.

Junior outside LB Devon Williams is adding offers this spring as he has BC , Pitt , Indiana , Minnesota , Kentucky , Michigan and Nebraska in his saddle bag. Versatile Junior Bryon Threats just added his first power five offer from Ga Tech to go along with his initial offer from Ohio. Threats is an interesting prospect as I have mentioned before, reminding me of a young Bob Sanders the safety out of Erie PA and Iowa and the Colts where he was a all pro a few times . Might be the Rocks most versatile player . He can play corner, Safety, outside Linebacker , is a excellent kick returner { One Kick-off and one punt return for Td's in only 5 games and a few attempts } and could be a playmaker on offense in a few areas. Slot, out wide and even Running back I believe.

Kid just makes plays and is a big hitter. In fact if he is playing safety with Kirk it would be probably the Rocks hardest hitting pair of corners in the programs' history . John Wurm in 2008 and 2009 was a heavy hitter and played at Eastern Illinois { With Jimmy Garropolo} and Reagan Malas 2013, 2014 was a kid who could bring it pretty good physically . Threats and Kirk would be a loud safety tandem.

Defensive tackle and offensive guard Colton Wolfe is having a great off season and is doing very well at camps competing well and being recognized . Kid is strong as snot and could be a rare two way lineman . Offensive line is the biggest rebuild and question mark on what is a very talented team . Kelly and Wolfe saw action at guard during the season with Wolfe going to defense after a while but could he paly two ways this year.

As I said a lot of talent , but the key is having the right talent to fill your roles . There seems to be surpluses in some areas{ Receivers running backs , d-lineman, edge defenders and secondary} and deficits in others{ O-Line and inside backer slots} . More answers than questions though.

Having this many good skill kids is obviously a good thing , but some kids may have to paly different roles than ones they might be most comfortable with or play on the next level . Senior RB Diallo for instance could be a very good inside Linebacker and there would be enough running backs I believe to fill his void { Drennan obviously, Threats could take some reps, Drafton ? } But the again Diallo could be the guy they need to get the tough yards and once he got back from injury and back ion game shape he showed good feet as well as power.

Receiver and former Quarterback Christian Yousey is a prospect. Didn't catch many balls last year in his first as a receiver and was hobbled a bit at times? But he has good size, has worked hard and done well at different camps and is a college level player may be D-1. Good size , hands and improving speed and route running. Legit 6-3 and at about 215 now could be a hybrid H-Back in different sets and along with Williamson and Drennan would be a match-up problem for many teams. Rocks have about 5-6 real athletes to get the ball to who can do some good and great things .

Right now it isn't about the talent , it's about filling and figuring out roles . rocks seem to have a good dynamic present within the team which is some of their best most talented players are also some of the hardest working players. When this dynamic exists and you have solid leadership that holds less hard. working players accountable ? You can have something pretty special . Good leaders work hard and set the example and brig the rest of the group along with them . If the more average talent within the group sees the more talented working their azzes off ? they are very apt to try to match it . If your. hardest workers are the average guys the more talented players may not go along surmising that the grunt work isn't for them it's for the less talented, they don't need to grind .

On the college front , QB Gunnar Hoak has transferred to Ohio State from Kentucky . Hoak saw some action in a limited capacity last season and did fairly well. Kind of a tough situation for him there, where the offensive philosophy changed after he had gotten there and been there, so the preference was the EXCELLENT athlete at QB. This wasn't a case of being beaten out by Wilson as a thrower. UK with an offensive line that was questionable and a stable of receivers that was MEH , it was going to be a situation that made Wilson's physical gifts and speed a necessity from a playmaking standpoint .

OSU like some other top programs was in a bind QB depth wise as the rising number of transfers eats at depth charts sometimes overnight. Hoak I presumed might want to go to a school where he would have a better chance if not almost a guarantee to start for two years in a system that is more drop back and throw it 30 times or so and see where he is . Well big OSU roots , they are in need , even with little chance to start getting into some games and coming home form Kentucky with a degree in hand , get grad school paid for and be a part of the Buckeyes program even if in a limited capacity was a good choice for him ? Gunnar is smart he is a good thrower and accurate. Fields is a 5 star recruit and terrific athlete , he is the usual type OSU and SEC teams usually favor. Gunnar is a good athlete not great, he has a good arm and can make most throws and will be a good addition to the QB room .

Griffin Grady moves to outside LB at Wisconsin and he should see a decent amount of time out there . He has seen some action at Inside LB and on special teams but i think this is the year he might pop playing outside. Wisconsin has great LB tradition and many recent NFL draft choices and is a tough line-up to crack . Griffin should have a decent shot this year. Tackle Alex Gellerstadt transferred from Penn State and is eligible right away at Virginia and will compete well for a starting spot as well .

CJ Saunders { WR} will see his most action of his career at OSU where he was a long shot walk on who was going to try to play baseball at OSU , he has seen some action so far and going into his Senior season should be his best . Possession guy with great route running ability really smart and has good hands . A guy you should root for .

Last edited by Harrycrane; 05-13-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 05:46 PM
All American

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Harry,
Why not make the above post the beginning of a thread on the 2019 Coffman team?
Old 05-13-19, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Harry,
Why not make the above post the beginning of a thread on the 2019 Coffman team?
The way I think of it and have the last couple years is and not starting the new thread is 2019 doesn’t start until the first day of camp when coaches say “ welcome fellas “ to the 2019 season . What we have now is the 2018 performance and the work that needs to be done to prepare for 2019.

Still more work to do . 2019 season starts early August . New thread will start after hopefully big improvements . 2018 is over but what the kids will be early August 2019 when the 2019 team had its first practice isn’t .
Old 05-13-19, 06:30 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Stiv... Question for you...

Doesn't pertain *directly* to this thread, but I've noticed that the numbers at Jerome are closing the gap on Coffman, and are larger than Darby and Bradley. Jerome, while not a powerhouse in football and boys basketball, has respectable programs in both. That said, Jerome has a very good overall athletic department, heavy on the country club sports to be sure, but still tough overall. Last two years have seen Darby and Jerome trade the Ralph Young, but I think Jerome is solidly ahead this year, with Darby in 2nd. I really see Jerome as a better fit than Bradley for the upcoming reshuffling. What's your take here?
Old 05-13-19, 07:31 PM
All Yappi

Yes Jerome is certainly closing the gap numbers wise with Coffman. I remember going to Jerome with my daughter circa 2012 when she was going into 8th grade at Sells but was taking a class at Jerome period one and we had to go to a quasi middle school kids going to high school orientation and the Principal saying that the Jerome community was growing and would possibly be the largest HS in Dublin in about 6-7 years . She was right it’s about there. Bradley has been superior in football and hoops but Jerome better in other sports ( country club?) but to be honest I am not sure if Jerome is a better fit .

It’s arguable no question . Jerome’s rising Frosh and Soph classes beat up Coffman’s groups in football the last couple years . Coffman wins this year and likely the next year (2020 ) but Jerome is coming . Coffman will have to improve and make strides. A lot of respect for Bradley . Tough to say which school is s better fit but suffice to say that league will be Uber competitive in multiple sports . Good programs will lose more than they are used to . Pickeringtons seem to have it a bit easier
Old 05-13-19, 08:19 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
I see it this way... Bradley is a better fit in football and boys basketball, but overall I’ll give the nod to Jerome.
Old 05-14-19, 03:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcons86 View Post
I see it this way... Bradley is a better fit in football and boys basketball, but overall I’ll give the nod to Jerome.

I think you are right , if you look at all the sports and the school demo's and culture Jerome fits in with the Olentangy's UA and Coffman et al better than Bradley .

Bradley will struggle in some sports no question and be competitive in the 'Big" Two , but I think they may miss their old conference from time to time .
Old 05-14-19, 07:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
It's my understanding that the Pickerington's were the big boys behind the realignment because they did not want to play each other in all sports. Their new assignments are very favorable, especially Central.
Old 05-15-19, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

Yes Central will crush in that division { Sorry Lancaster I know the history between you two BUT how many play-off games have you won? You often lose to other teams that PC handles with ease which besides making you feel great that night negates that win .

Anyway you slice it covering all sports both boys and girls, cou9ntry club sports and non CC activities , Coffman , Davidson Liberty , Orange UA , and Bradley in one of the top conferences quality top to bottom in the state. It is arguable of course, and there are a few other public school loops that show a lot of strength but in terms of Central Ohio I think this one is inarguably the strongest .

I was talking about roles and a key to team development is any organization is assigning roles and the people and personnel embracing those roles. Not always easy to have everyone buy into what is asked of them especially is it's not exactly what they want to do.

Having talent is great , but if you can't get a handle on having key roles being accounted for the consistency of success will suffer. Building balance within a team is difficult in High School football due to the fact unlike business organizations you can't recruit and draft people to your team.

At this time of year part of what I do is football futures . That means I am assessing the strength and power ratings of college and NFL football teams in terms of their projected win totals. One of the things that many over look when say assessing an NFL team that added a couple high priced talented free agents is just how they will fit with their new team.

They are not only moving to a new city and surroundings they may be asked to do different things in different ways than they did in their previous role. How do they improve the new team and how will they be used? Will they fit in with the new culture ? Will they click with the new coach ? Can they learn the new system quickly?
Coaching changes , are many players getting a bit old at the same time ? unique motivations and unfinished business what is the scheduling dynamics? College football programs can schedule advantageously in some instances Bye's before big games? Key games at home coming off games vs Over matched opponents? can be a lucky quirk ? Many factors go into trying to figure out how many games a team may win .

Even as a young kid I was interested in how national or al star teams were selected for the Olympics or other big tournaments and competitions.

Putting together Hockey teams for the Olympics and other big tournaments between nations. You don't just pick the top scorers or the defensemen that either have the most offensive upside or defensive prowess . You select the players that best give your TEAM balance and fill specific roles. You have a scoring line , a line that can score and may be has some size and is good defensively . Another line with a combination of the two? Defensively you may have a couple solid stay at home defenders and a couple puck moving quick and fast skaters with offensive skills. You build a balanced team that knows their roles and performs them at a high level.

In HS football as I mentioned you sometimes have to be creative because sometimes you have a surplus of kids with the same basic skill sets and body types and a dearth of kids to fill other specific roles. This is when you have to get creative and get kids to may be try and perform other roles than they may be used to or want to fill . It could involve changing your mind set and your body in some cases. It may mean going to defense and less glory or going to the offensive line when you really enjoy filling the role of wreaking havoc and attacking on the defensive line.

Weather getting warmer , outside workout opportunity's are getting plentiful . Catching balls running routes , footwork agility ,going to camps competing against other good players , running sprints , QB'S throwing to receivers. Pushing and pulling iron and strength training gains can be had in these last few months before camp and scrimmage season .

Complacency can be an adversary if you already have some offers, and or starting jobs pretty much locked up . Good can't be good enough is something that I was told to fight complacency . If you are good and will be almost a certain starter, the work has to be about being good enough to go up against the best competition you will face during the season and being YOUR BEST, the best version of your self and working hard enough to gain real confidence .

A few guys are primed for breakout seasons . Started as young guys but ready to take things to the next level this year. Be the leaders, show the younger guys how to work and compete . LEAD. Use the experiences as younger players to read thigs more quickly , be faster and quicker with your first reactions and steps . Be more physically prepared and developed to compete better against better stronger players. These things and improvements will happen with some of the returning starters , but can these motivated hardest working players brig others with them ?

Holding each other accountable to the process , older guys teaching others how to work and what it means to be part of the program and some kids willingly and enthusiastically embracing their roles whether familiar or not are keys to how good the team will be.

What did Gordon Gekko say ? This is your wake up call " 'GO TO WORK ".
Old 05-16-19, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

As I was talking about yesterday future assessments and prediction in terms of season win totals involves projections based on many factors . Of course there is inherent issues that can't be foreseen . Injuries being the first one that comes to mind of course but also basic bad luck during the games themselves .

Teams are made up of individuals , they aren't machines or robots . One of the things you look at is a team with returning starters of course but you also look at how those players fit and the make-up of the team. College programs may have a number of players who are looking ahead to the next years NFL draft. It may result in being a bit off in terms of the TEAM dynamic .

The edge that younger college players who haven't proven themselves yet is different than older veterans that are indeed looking forward to the next 'Thing". { NFL Draft position} This results in uneven performances and a missing camaraderie that can be the difference in games vs. like opponents .

For instance last year Michigan had a lot of guys looking ahead to the NFL draft including a handful of guys looking to go early . Now after their season opening loss to Notre Dame they did fine , had a blip having to come back and beat Northwestern 20-17 but played with purpose and well for most of the season . They got blitzkrieged by OSU as we know giving up over 60{ Nice win for me vs the spread} and then the disinterested distracted team with some guy not opting to play embarrassed themselves vs Florida in the bowl game .

Not an ideal ending and a way to go out momentum wise going to the next season?

Or is it ? I feel that offered clarity to the dynamic of guys more looking ahead to the next thing. In fact they didn't play well the last three games { Indiana 31-20 win} but overall were pretty solid.

The ending of the season to me is a positive thing going into this year with a bad taste they want to get out of their mouth . While they lose a lot some early I feel the recruiting has been solid and the hunger the newer starters will have will help negate the losses . Defensively is a rebuild situation but Don Brown may be as good a defensive coordinator as there is in college football and they still have some talent in the cupboard .
QB Shea Patterson will be more comfortable in his second year after transferring from Ole Miss and they have some very good receivers to get the ball to and a solid O-line .

Their Over Under win total was 9.5 when it came out at a high price of -165 if you played the OVER . This is a play I recommended and played even at the inflated price. Harbaugh probably hasn't gotten the program to where most thought he would have by now , but he knows how to do this obviously .

Schedule dynamics sealed the deal for me after assessing the team dynamics , motivations, talent levels and hunger .

Two Gimees to start Army Mid Tenn State at home then a BYE before their fiorst test at Wisconsin a team rebuilding a bit in some areas but this is losable . Rutgers and Iowa follow at home then a road tilt at Illinois before having to go to Penn State , a game that will be tough seeing as Michigan throttled them last year so revenge is an issue .

Two tough road games both losable in a worst case scenario but they have better personnel than both with both having new Qb's and the Wiscky game is off a BYE and the PSU game is off what should be a no heavy lifting type game at Illinois . So I am basically figuring they lose ONE of these at most .

Now after the Penn State game there is a home game that is not ideally placed. Notre Dame comes to Ann Arbor . Again I feel that Michigan with a bit of revenge and good match-ups in key areas they can win this one . Worst case ? two losses at this point . Before facing in state rival MSU they have a bye . ideal . HOME Ohio state game is preceded by a road game vs. Indiana .

Of course I ma thinking two losses at most going into this monster game and Harbaugh more than not has played OSU close and IF Michigan has two losses? You can hedge depending on what may be the situation or dynamics at that point.

You would take OSU on the Money line to hedge , at what percentage of your original position and play would be determined by how strongly you felt which way the match-up may go and who has the advantage. Of course you could let it ride if you really thought at that point Michigan was the better team .

Coffman has the same schedule as last year except for week one at Northmont who at first glance appears to be in a bit of a rebuild? They won 9 last year but two were games they easily could have lost . OT Win on a Saturday afternoon in Marysville and a comeback win vs Olenatangy after being down 16-0m at the half winning 22-16 with two Td's in the last 7 minutes .

Looking at their opponents strength and what they have coming back ? The scheduling dynamics and what the Rocks have and don't have? I would make the number 8 . I feel that 7-3 would be the absolute worst case scenario and 9-1 again the best ?

Have some thoughts and will make a case shortly.
Old 05-16-19, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

Got a text from a friend who read my Michigan take going OVER 9.5 wins . He obviously being an OSU fan pushed back a little , but the fact of the matter in certain sportsbooks you can bet what they call 'Games of the year" which means they post some point spreads for select games throughout the season. The risk is obvious seeing as you have no idea what the injury situation may be or the future form of a team in two months for instance .

But Michigan is favored in every game where they were lined in these future point spread offerings . They don't offer these lines for every game of course , just higher profile games they think they can get some action . The benefit for them obviously is they keep your money in advance making it work for them which is of course the only downside for players as well whether in these more exotic wagers or in future win totals . Favored on the road at Penn State by 6.5 by 6 on the road at Wiscky , and by 8.5 at home vs Notre Dame and by 6.5 at home vs the Buckeyes.

These lines will certainly be a little different when the games occur but you can get some good value here in some cases. Michigan being favored over OSU at this early date is surely a result of the new coach , new QB and the home field.

Now QB Fields won't be a rookie anymore in week 12 , but Patterson has a lot more experience not only at his current school { He'll have 25 starts at that point} but also played in the SEC as well and is older than Fields . Transition to Day isn't as tough seeing he has been part of the system , but it just feels at this point anyway that Michigan may be due to get that OSU monkey off of Harbaughs back .

Doing a quick scan of Coffman's schedule and my assessment that 8 wins would be a smart total win projection , looking a bit deeper 8.5 at good odds might be a tougher play . 8 is a number they could land on pretty easily . If I made it 7.5 that feels a bit low and 8.5 a bit high. But it would force you to make a tougher decision .

8 even seems right with a higher probability of 'Pushing " the play landing on the even number.

Week one at Northmont is an unknown , last two years they lost to Pick Central in the play-offs by larger margins, although last year the score was more a result of big play turnovers and not a flat out dominate performance.

Northmont is rebuilding a bit still a pretty strong program but graduated a lot . Coffman has lost tiher last two similar travels to this region, Fairfield in 2015 controlled the pretty well outplaying them by a nice margin as they opened their new facility Rocks got them back controlling the action the next year at home winning comfortably , and Springfield in week one in 2016 when the Rocks had to go back after lightening stopped the action on Friday night , and was a tough loss as they were in control a bit but wavered and didn't get enough of a margin and Danny Davis made a few great plays with S-Field wining a close one at the end . Rocks had beaten them 41-7 the year before. Rocks have more players back but this will be a test no question .

Week two Gahanna . Always has athletes but graduates most of the best from last year.
recent history has seen the Rocks winning comfortably in 2016 , losing by a few points in 2017 giving up a late TD throw from Lowery to Bruckner , and the Rocks won by a 13 point margin last year in a sloppy game on a hot night in Gahanna . Rock should prevail here . Highlight reel clip was Bryon Threats instructional video clip of how to return a punt . Look it up , pretty good stuff.

Week three Jerome ambles down brand road to visit Coffman stadium . Last year Jerome has some nice athletes who made some plays in the first half and played very hard and well on defense and had a 14-10 lead at the break. All Coffman in the second half as Drennan Diallo and Brown in particular made a lot of plays on offense and the defense played much better in pass coverage and getting pressure . Coffman kids took a bit of offense about Coach G's 'HOMEGROWN " mantra . Jerome has a few athletes and a Junior QB Miller with potential who came in late last year against Coffman { Threw a pick six, that guy B Threats again } but won the job mid season . Coffman it appears has too much here . Jerome Soph and Frosh classes have 'Handled 'Coffman's groups , but this isn't their time yet .

Olentangy on the road and is always a tough game lately with a bit of drama whether the game is close or not . 2016 in the initial recent tilt it was all Coffman winning by 30 . 2017 Tangy won twice first game outplaying the Rocks winning by a couple scores and then in what is in my personal top 5 gut punch losses since I have bene following them 28-24 in round one of the play-offs, after being up 10 at the half{ had multiple opportunity's to lengthen the lead } and by 10 late . Gave up a 30 yard pass for TD late the second time they lost a game that way that season . Frosh Middleton caught the ball . He's back and will be a Junior this season. Last year Rocks slept walked in the first half and outscored them by 22 in the second to win 22-16. Rocks have more guys back and are better on paper , BUT Solis is an excellent coach they have excellent schemes and are difficult to defend . Won't be easy but I think the Rocks have a bit too many playmakers here.

Week 5 Pickerington North - last year PN was flying high at this point and Coffman was not far behind. Coffman had the blip vs. Olentangy and PN was almost upset by Jerome . Rocks did very little offensively in the first half only scoring on a There is that guy Threats again who seems to just make big plays scoring on a kick off return . Losing 14-7 at the half in an abbreviated late start weather game didn't seem so bad considering . LB Johnson didn't return for PN and the Rocks good size up front started wearing down PN and the run game was in high gear with Diallo out for a while after hurting himself in the Jerome game , it was all Drennan with QB Brown chipping in with some big runs along with Williamson with a few jet sweeps.

Rocks got up big 31-14 before holding on late as Lowery threw a few up that were hauled in in traffic 31-28. Sawyer , Scott, Lawrence and Jordan Lowery are as good a foursome of skill as most if not all of CO has { PC will argue} . Rocks counter nicely with Drennan , Diallo , Williamson , Yousey ? Both have first year starters Juniors most likely , PN'S started at Washington Court house last year and is now back in Pickerington . Should be a marquee match-up or the game of the week possibly . Both have other newcomers who will be factors as well .

At this point I think the Rocks win at least 4 of them with PN being a very difficult test.

League play thoughts a bit later.
Old 05-16-19, 03:53 PM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Yes Central will crush in that division { Sorry Lancaster I know the history between you two BUT how many play-off games have you won? You often lose to other teams that PC handles with ease which besides making you feel great that night negates that win .
What a dumb argument and even stupider suggestion. Was last year’s Liberty team, who beat Coffman en route to a regional title, a bad team because they lost 17-3 to Orange? Give me a frickin’ break.
Old 05-16-19, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
What a dumb argument and even stupider suggestion. Was last year’s Liberty team, who beat Coffman en route to a regional title, a bad team because they lost 17-3 to Orange? Give me a frickin’ break.
A regular reader . Thanks for continuing to read . Have a great day Dock . Didn’t call any one a bad team . Thanks again .
Old 05-22-19, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

One of the common themes when people talk about programs with consistent longer term success is coaching continuity. I have mentioned this many times over the years and the evidence strongly suggests that at all levels of football it matters in a team program or organizations ability to develop consistency which leads to success.

Just a quick glance around the CO D-1 landscape shows this. The top programs? Hmm you look and notice that the coaches and many of their staff has been intact for a while.

The top programs since say 2000?

1} Davidson - Coach White, running mostly the same system the entire time{ early on it was a bit different with more throwing } long time assistants. CONTINUITY . Davidson has been the top program overall . Not just the two titles but many other longer runs as well . CONSISTENCY .

2} PC - Now the bell cow of CO , the top program recently, have overtaken Davidson over the last say 4-5 years. Sharrett has built it they have a great demographic and sports in Pickerington is IMPORTANT !!! They put a lot into it, but the main thing is CONTINUITY , they have the talent but the thing that sticks out is the commitment which is a by product of coaching and organizational continuity .

3} Coffman - Crabtree entered at a time when the Rock shad some talent but were not as consistent as they could have been . The year before he got to Dublin { 2000} I believe if my memory serves me they had five D-1 offensive lineman and they missed the play-offs . Coach changed the offense and utilized many good throwing QB'S to consistent success . Has only missed the playoffs twice in his tenure { entering his 19th year } and one was by a hair where they lost to three playoff teams by a combined 15 points { 10, 4 and 1 point} and has been above 500 in every season. Long time assistants as well has lead to a consistency. Play-off season has seen some disappointments but has had a few clubs that could play with anyone .

After this ? I think Darby has shown some nice consistency with Santagata which has been key, pretty much a good solid club most years under his tutelage . Liberty especially play-off wise lately has been pretty consistent , Steve Hale literally started the program, he is the only HC they have ever had . He has good assistants around him. They are well run business .

Pick North obviously has had some very good teams and it's Pickerington , they have talent including this year. Coaching continuity? Good coaches to be sure but less consistency . Bradley has the guy they can win with and is now fairly consistent after taking a while to build .

I think if you look closely to the other top programs there is a bit more turnover , less continuity . Westerville South had a nice run with Pentello but since he left? A couple coaches and not the same success. Westy Central ? Some nice teams to be sure [Kondras, Drake Snell et al } and some success but a little less continuity .

UA has had less consistency issues and bad luck with injury's . Third coach in the last decade. Long tenures of course a result of coaches being successful and wanting to be where they are of course, but there is no getting around it at just about every level , coaching continuity leads to consistency of product and success on the scoreboard.

Gahanna , R-Burg , GC , M-Ville , CC, among other programs Have had less continuity . Lancaster has had the continuity but may be less success than others with the same dynamic but they have played in the Ohio which has bene a bear no question .
Old 05-23-19, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

As the above post related the coaching continuity within programs is a big factor in their success over time.

What most good coaches will stress to their players is to strive to be consistent. Consistent success in any organization involves this level of continuity which is a result of a 'Culture" being established. Building cultures take time . You see at the NFL level what results when owners look short term and change their coaching staffs every few years{ Browns anyone} .

Cultures have standards , expectations . Cultures teach personal responsibility and leadership skills. You don't have to have a C on your jersey to be a leader. the best most successful culture in Pro sports the last 20 years is the New England Patriots.

Their brass believes in the concept that EVERYONE can help lead to some degree in their own way . A room full of leaders is encouraged and that culture is so strong that real chaos and distraction is minimal to non existent . This type of atmosphere and culture keeps players focused on getting better each day and week and prepare for the challengers ahead of them.

Players are given responsibility which places some expectations on them and they most often will relish in doing things consistently and showing others to do the same.

Continuity leads to consistency which leads to success. In any field whether it's Business , finance , music , science or any professional endeavor what separates the average from the true professionals and excellence is CONSISTENCY .

I believe in the Malcolm Gladwell 10,000 hour rule . It takes about that much concentrated work and study , practice and applying yourself in any activity or discipline to become truly proficient. To develop that consistency. Of course High school athletes haven't had that much time and they aren't striving to be professional I any field before they turn 18 .

BUT the lessons of that idea and the work and concentration it takes to master or at least be very proficient at things is a great lesson.

Most people no matter what it is, your career a job, an activity or even a hobby can look back at the process and can remember the point in time when they felt they were very proficient , professional , and had achieved almost expert status. Expert is a tricky term that I eschew in most cases.

For me personally becoming a professional sports handicapper took about 8-10 years where I felt OK I am achieving a certain CONSISTENCY at this point in time and I am truly a professional at this exercise. I had some early success in the 'Minor" leagues so to speak , there were times I felt I had 'Gotten it become more professional , BUT it wasn't consistent . Talent and ability can be there , short term success is possible , BUT not the level of consistency just yet.

This is true of baseball players climbing through the minors , football players in the NFL in their first few years as it takes time to get physically and mentally better until you are truly a real Pro and a consistent performer. You need time and you need effort to hone your skills , learn your craft , work on your craft .

Any business as well. Finance , marketing, and Advertising to name just few are fields that takes time to learn how to think . Teachers often say when asked by students 'Why do I need to learn this , I will never use it" They will invariably say' It teaches you how to think " . One of my favorite lines from the show 'Mad Men " was Don Draper telling his his wife after she had early success as a copywriter , 'Do you realize how long it took for me to think this way?" So true, it's a PROCESS .

Building cultures and developing a program and improving and developing as a player is a PROCESS. Enjoy the process of getting better is great advice I got a long time ago .

What's it take to make the process work ? Grind, consistent mindful effort , strong preparation which leads to a certain confidence that leads to consistency .

Strong programs and cultures simply do the little things better and more consistently , work harder and smarter and are accountable to the process their program and their teammates . You reach this point and you are a program a TEAM a consistently successful team.

In the adult world it's called being a professional .
Old 05-23-19, 11:03 AM
All District

coachrios is on a distinguished road
good stuff Harrycrane! and yes! Consistency has been a huge shift for us in the weight room! Better days ahead! If you're not willing to GRIND, you will never LOVE the PROCESS!! It's vital to attack everything RELENTLESSLY!! Only then can the CULTURE change and positive results follow! Compete at the Edge!!