Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-05-17, 11:00 PM
Varsity

dumpster is on a distinguished road
Austintown Fitch - Billy Price , Dan Stryfler , Mike McGlinn, Jeff Powers..... cannot forget Jeff Wilkins , Mike Turgovac....
Old 10-06-17, 02:56 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Coldwater's is probably Ross Homan
either him or Brody Hoying. In a different offense Ross would have ran wild no doubt avout that to go along with his defense. Brody was single handedly an absolute joy to watch. Made that offense so dynamic and of course on defense he did his thing.

Keith wenning, now in the cfl, just didn't have enough snaps but man he had as great of an Arm and threw the deep ball better than anyone I saw in ha
Old 10-06-17, 08:22 AM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Mike DeNieo from Chaney.
Old 10-06-17, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Use2ball is on a distinguished road
The schools that I've followed from my kids alumni to coaching to friends on staffs. The players who have left an impression on me was greg baker RB springboro holds all their rushing records as best can recall maybe 6'1 185 give or take 5, which was a big highschool RB in the '80's always ran hard and had a deceptive stride, went to Kentucky. Then Alter went back and forth but these 2 was as good as it gets ol nick mangold from top to bottom a football player a team player osu and jets. Chris Borland RB/lb 5'11 210-220 range great fire great nose for the ball under rated athlete as fast lateral as straight ahead, Wisconsin retired after a few NFL seasons concussion concerns . Ridge Reed from carlisle Holds all their Rushing and scoring records, 6'0 I could never tell if he was 210 or 225 from game to game the most elusive bigger back I've seen in a while, great instincts. I thought he was the best between the tackles runner I had ever seen in high school. Good balance, good speed, very quick he's at Eastern Ky.

Greg Baker RB springboro
Nick Mangold Line Alter
Chris Borland RB/LB Alter
Ridge Reed RB Carlisle

Last edited by Use2ball; 10-06-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-06-17, 12:35 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
Winton Woods....no way in my mind to pin one player the best.

These are some players that I remember that stood out.

Dominique Brown...state champ QB
Brandon Miree.......best RB IMO
Daniel Cage .........best known lineman

There are soooo many more but these guys come to mind right away.
An endless parade of awesome backs

For the old guys pre merger ...

Forest Park HS:

Brian Mercer....RB everytime he got the ball I thought he could go all the way
Carlton Gray....DB won national player of the year awards I think
Nick Smith.......LB went to Notre Dame I think...him and Gray led state semi final team.

Greenhills HS

Cedric McDonald....total stud LB/Oline and led team to playoffs
Melvin Taylor, Kevin Shepherd, Keith Watkins broke all the school passing/receiving records and led team to state semifinals.
Leroy Williams....would love to see what is TD ratio was per times touching the ball....fastest player I ever saw.....state AAA 400 meter champ too
Brandon Miree did a lot for Colerain football and may not have realized it!

BJ Askew was a pure joy to watch. While primarily a running back that made some amazing runs, he was also used sparingly as a speed rush defensive end.

I was under the impression that BJ was supposed to go to Winton Woods for high school but moved/transferred knowing that Miree was in the backfield already.
Old 10-06-17, 12:57 PM
All District

ctowner is on a distinguished road
Celina High School.
Jim Otis played for Woody at tOSU, led NFC in rushing for Cardinals in 1976.
Jeff Wiley played at Holy Cross and set numerous NCAA passing records.
Mike Bath set some QB records at Miami of Ohio. Currently a running back coach at University of Wyoming

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-17, 01:48 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Brandon Miree did a lot for Colerain football and may not have realized it!

BJ Askew was a pure joy to watch. While primarily a running back that made some amazing runs, he was also used sparingly as a speed rush defensive end.

I was under the impression that BJ was supposed to go to Winton Woods for high school but moved/transferred knowing that Miree was in the backfield already.
Correct on Miree. They played together for winton woods jr high team and ran over me a few times.
Old 10-06-17, 02:10 PM
All Region

Professor.Klump is on a distinguished road
Anthony Cospy aka Tony Cospy

Trotwood-Madison

That team Anthony was on took Trotwood to its first State Title game in "82.

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY
Old 10-06-17, 03:29 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
either him or Brody Hoying. In a different offense Ross would have ran wild no doubt avout that to go along with his defense. Brody was single handedly an absolute joy to watch. Made that offense so dynamic and of course on defense he did his thing.

Keith wenning, now in the cfl, just didn't have enough snaps but man he had as great of an Arm and threw the deep ball better than anyone I saw in ha
He was a very unselfish teammate too! and yes Keith didn't get enough snaps but Cory Klenke was good as well and that's unfortunate for Keith. I would have liked to see Cory play football at Miami instead of baseball.
Old 10-07-17, 02:33 PM
All American

frankie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationFootball View Post
Football is football. If you think a player like Woodcock Whitaker wouldnt be able to run circles around today's defenses then youre off your rocker. Youre either born with a natural ability to run the pigskin or youre not, simple as that. Today's players are all concerned about their visors and their nikes and just wanna hurdle and juke. What ever happened to good downhill running between the tackles? If you ask me, the players of the 60's were better. In a battle between Norm Van Brocklin and Tom Brady, I take Norm any day.
Football is football for sure..... but the passing and receiving of today is wild.... Qb's & rec of the past stats dim by today's standards but it isn't necessary ability as much as style of play.. It is tough to play good defense in this age.... and rule changes have seriously effected the style of play... my main point being that while stats may not match up the old time players are still top dogs!!..
Old 10-07-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
He was a very unselfish teammate too! and yes Keith didn't get enough snaps but Cory Klenke was good as well and that's unfortunate for Keith. I would have liked to see Cory play football at Miami instead of baseball.
I disagree with that last statement. CK BEST sport was baseball, no doubt. I never saw a kid work so hard in my life. Threw him a ton of bp. He leveled off late in his hs career in both sports. He almost seemed like he lost his flexibility, or fluidness, almost like his body got too tight without flexibility training. I noticed it in his fielding, hitting, and throwing of the football. Hindsight if he would have been WR and Keith QB in that last season...but who knows tuKA was tough. CK one was one, if not the, most complete athletes to play for CW and was such a great, great kid.

It's touhj to explain, you just had to watch him a lot in the two sports to really pinpoint it and likely nothing could have been done to correct it if indeed that was it.

That wasn't a shot at the coaches. CK just lead the team to a title and who knew that Keith could do what he did. CK earned the spot and QB is just not a position you swap guys often especially when one was very good
Old 10-07-17, 04:06 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I disagree with that last statement. CK BEST sport was baseball, no doubt. I never saw a kid work so hard in my life. Threw him a ton of bp. He leveled off late in his hs career in both sports. He almost seemed like he lost his flexibility, or fluidness, almost like his body got too tight without flexibility training. I noticed it in his fielding, hitting, and throwing of the football. Hindsight if he would have been WR and Keith QB in that last season...but who knows tuKA was tough. CK one was one, if not the, most complete athletes to play for CW and was such a great, great kid.

It's touhj to explain, you just had to watch him a lot in the two sports to really pinpoint it and likely nothing could have been done to correct it if indeed that was it.

That wasn't a shot at the coaches. CK just lead the team to a title and who knew that Keith could do what he did. CK earned the spot and QB is just not a position you swap guys often especially when one was very good
Agreed. I watched him when he was with the Grand Lake Mariners and It seemed like he was struggling. I think Reed knew what he was doing but Its hard to bench a quarterback who just won you a state championship.
Old 10-07-17, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Waite: Curtis Johnson
Macomber: Chuck Webb

Pretty easy picks.
Old 10-08-17, 01:42 AM
All Region

Mr. Wildcat_09 is on a distinguished road
Canton South:

1A- Himes (DL/TE, 1963 WHBC Stark County player of the year, high school All-American, played at Ohio State under Woody Hayes then about a decade for the Green Bay Packers)

1B- Frank Dugan (RB/LB, 1962 WHBC Stark County player of the year, played college ball at Michigan State then Alabama under Bear Bryant)
Old 10-08-17, 11:54 AM
All Region

RDR1115 is on a distinguished road
William White - Lima Senior, who played his college ball at Ohio State and played in the NFL with the Lions, Chiefs and Falcons.
Old 10-09-17, 08:15 AM
All Region

CCHS93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Waite: Curtis Johnson
Macomber: Chuck Webb

Pretty easy picks.
Toledo Rogers: Drushaun Humphrey. What could have been.....
Old 10-09-17, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR1115 View Post
William White - Lima Senior, who played his college ball at Ohio State and played in the NFL with the Lions, Chiefs and Falcons.
Lima had a QB in the early 90's who was a stud, too. I think he started 3 or 4 years, but I can't remember his name. I think he went on to play in the MAC but I could be wrong, I know he gave the Middies fits for several years.
Old 10-09-17, 09:17 AM
Freshman

cb4ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms0655 View Post
From Mogadore I would have to go with Chuck Moore ...scored 51 tds his senior season and won a state championship on a torn ACL
Maybe....
But I think you are overlooking ALL of the Murphy, Tompkins and Pierce boys who played since the 1950s

That family has played an intergal part on all of Mogadore's State Championships (dating back to the 1st one in 1954)
Without them there would be NO Mogadore football
Old 10-09-17, 09:39 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Putting college aside, I'd put Mark Brooks ahead of Francisco.
Francisco flew in for games every week from Texas. Putting up the numbers he did while logging those kinds of airline miles in pretty impressive. I give Hiawatha the nod here.
Old 10-09-17, 09:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Wayne93 is on a distinguished road
For Wayne,

Braxton Miller on offense

Robert Landers on defense
Old 10-09-17, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Steubenville..... nearly impossible to choose, but if forced it would have to be Calvin Jones, great two way lineman for the Big Red and Iowa 2 time All American and Outland Trophy winner.
Have to disagree, even though my Dad's friend was a top choice. I have to go with the legendary George "Puck" Burgwin, who tore holes in every defense he faced. He played in a era in high school when they actually noted in the Massilon Independent of the day as the Stubbers colored back. Imagine the abuse he took when they ever caught him. His stats were amazing, playing against the best the state had.
Old 10-09-17, 11:27 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I would love to hear Fairwood King's assessment of Big Red's best player of all time.
Old 10-09-17, 11:36 AM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
Got to put my son up for Akron Springfield Dillon Matthews. Holds Sophomore, Jr, Sr rushing records, longest td from scrimmage 99.5 yrd agains Coventry and kick returns. Owns the 100 10.74, 200 and 4x100 records.
Old 10-09-17, 11:39 AM
All Region

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
Marlington: Dymonte Thomas
Old 10-09-17, 12:00 PM
Voice of Reason

Volnelk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
This is a tough one for a lot of schools.

For Anderson I struggle to choose. A lot of guys who were great in high school (all 74 Andreadis's, Kyle Slater, Joe Dunn, Chris Norwell and Steve Lainhart) but I think I would have to go with Andrew Norwell.
Differences between positions make it tough to compare, but Kyle Slater is the best high school football player I've ever seen. He was effortless.
Old 10-09-17, 12:20 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnelk View Post
Differences between positions make it tough to compare, but Kyle Slater is the best high school football player I've ever seen. He was effortless.
Agreed. Slater was very good but it is hard for me to say he is the best because of the line he ran behind. Having said that he was on my short list that I mentioned.

Last edited by skins99; 10-09-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-09-17, 12:36 PM
All District

wildcatway is on a distinguished road
For Saint Ignatius, I'm going with Eric Haddad. So many to choose from, but Haddad to me was the best Saint Ignatius RB I've ever seen. Tim McVey is a close second on that RB list. On defense, John Kerr. He played like he was possessed. Those are my top players on offense and defense, just in my opinion.
Old 10-09-17, 01:40 PM
Freshman

Forepar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
Fun factoid. I remember playing against winton woods middle school team and the back field was BJ Askew and Brandon Miree. Needless to say I actually made a couple of stops in the backfield, the other 40 I think went for touchdowns.
So YOU are getting better with each passing year!

Athens - Joe Burrow. Has little to do with status as OSU backup. He was an absolute stud in HS.

Bremen (Fairfield Union) - Ike Kelley.

Bloom-Carroll - Dave Cotner.

Pickerington - Jack Neal (old Pickerington, not the current OCC behemoth!)

Fisher Catholic - Don Eaton & Tom Eaton Honorable mention: Greg Romano.
Old 10-09-17, 02:01 PM
Freshman

InsideTheArmor is on a distinguished road
For Alter, without a doubt had to be Nick Mangold. Got an opportunity to see him play in the backyard battle a number of years ago and he was a man among boys.

For Hartley, these guys might be a little less known but John Eramo was a two sport star in football and wrestling. Maybe not the most dominant player of all time there but certainly the best I got to see before my kids graduated.

Greatest Ohio High School football player of all time? I'm not sure i could accurately answer that question but you've at least got to consider the great Roger Staubach. Would love to hear about any other greats that graduated from an Ohio high school.
Old 10-09-17, 02:54 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Baron Von Steuben is on a distinguished road
While at Steubenville Catholic: Buster Yannon (RB). Went/played (very little) for Nebraska when coached by Bob Devaney.

Overall: Danny Abramowicz (WR). Played in the NFL for the Saints and 49'ers 1967-74. Set an NFL record for most consecutive games with a catch (105). 1st team All-Pro in 1969.