Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-04-17, 11:25 PM
All American

bleedingreen6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Top 3 from Mogadore in my opinion are definitely Chuck Moore, Tommy Lee, and Dennis Robbins.

Dennis and Chuck just so happened to play on the same team.

To be honest, as good as Chuck was he was almost (and I say almost, for a guy that had 100 yards rushing, 40 yards receiving and a couple TDs) used as a decoy in the championship game. With his injury he could run in a straight line ONLY, he never cut once in the game. We had to rely (expecially once behind) on Robbins arm.

If Robbins was QB on any other team he would have obliterated all of Mogadore's passing records. The problem was that Mogadore was historically a running team and he was on the same team as Moore.

Robbins was the best QB in both arm strength/accuracy as well as reading a defense that Mogadore has ever had. He single handedly won the 1996 state championship game, threw for 440+ yards almost all of which was in the 2nd half (easily 350+).

Tommy Lee owns every Mogadore rushing record (career, season, etc) except for TDs. Tommy also had to share the backfield for 3 of his 4 years with another great Mogadore back in John Raddish.

Tommy Lee is first in career rush yards at 5329, Moore is actually 4th at 4106, and Raddish is 7th at 3042.

So Lee was "giving up" easily 1000 yards per season to another back in the backfield. When Moore was running, we had other good back, but no one NEAR 1000+ yard rushers.

I have nothing against any of these 3 players, I consider all 3 of them friends, but if I had to rank them as "best all time" I would go

1. Tommy Lee
2. Dennis Robbins
3. Chuck Moore

All 3 are really close to each other, and there is probably a large gap after these 3 before you find the 4th best player, but that is just my opinion.

I know none of these 3 ever post on here, but the other player I mentioned (Raddish) does often, he may have an opinion as he played with Lee and I played with Robbins/Moore.
I think you have to give extra value the guy that played both sides of the ball full time. So Lee, would be my pick out of those three, because I believe he had over 300 tackles in his career as well. Going with that idea I would place Robert Christy and Jake Mcgavinew in there in the top ten some where. Jake had over 3000 rushing yards and 48 sacks in his career. I think you have to look at overall production on both sides of the ball, when coming up with an all time greatest list. If you take into account college accolades then it may put Moore to the top of the list. But I believe Christy was an all-American at Dayton as well. Check out the record books Mogadorefootball.com and it will shed some light on overall production both offensively and defensively.

Last edited by bleedingreen6; 10-04-17 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 12:20 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
North Canton Hoover:

Logan and Erick Howard

Bobby Hendry had a helluva senior season
Old 10-05-17, 12:47 AM
All American

frankie is on a distinguished road
Different times, different schedules, different styles of play..... I'd prefer by decades or by eras, 20's to say 50's. 60's thru 90's. current 2000's ...
Old 10-05-17, 04:56 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
It is a shame to see Wade E Miller go. My dad took me to watch The Middies when Carter was there. It would be packed out and when Carter took one to the house the place went crazy. Great times.
Sad to see Miller Gym shut down and relocate. I always thought it was one of the toughest places to play in the GMC. Small, cramped, hot, loud and all that history hanging from the banners. I've been to a lot of games there in the last 30 something years, it's gonna be strange watching them play somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-17, 07:39 AM
Cooling Off

canofchew is on a distinguished road
Adam Porter and Chris Givens from Chilicothe were two studs!!
Old 10-05-17, 07:54 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
I think you have to give extra value the guy that played both sides of the ball full time. So Lee, would be my pick out of those three, because I believe he had over 300 tackles in his career as well. Going with that idea I would place Robert Christy and Jake Mcgavinew in there in the top ten some where. Jake had over 3000 rushing yards and 48 sacks in his career. I think you have to look at overall production on both sides of the ball, when coming up with an all time greatest list. If you take into account college accolades then it may put Moore to the top of the list. But I believe Christy was an all-American at Dayton as well. Check out the record books Mogadorefootball.com and it will shed some light on overall production both offensively and defensively.
Robert Christy was an All American and National Champ at Dayton, playing nose tackle. He never played RB again after he broke his leg in the playoffs as a senior.
Old 10-05-17, 08:00 AM
Moderated User

OperationFootball is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
Different times, different schedules, different styles of play..... I'd prefer by decades or by eras, 20's to say 50's. 60's thru 90's. current 2000's ...
Football is football. If you think a player like Woodcock Whitaker wouldnt be able to run circles around today's defenses then youre off your rocker. Youre either born with a natural ability to run the pigskin or youre not, simple as that. Today's players are all concerned about their visors and their nikes and just wanna hurdle and juke. What ever happened to good downhill running between the tackles? If you ask me, the players of the 60's were better. In a battle between Norm Van Brocklin and Tom Brady, I take Norm any day.
Old 10-05-17, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Not my school, but MLB great, Dave Parker (aka The Cobra), played football and basketball along with baseball at Courter Tech High (no longer exists) in Cincinnati back in the early 70s. At 6'5" 230 lbs, he was a head taller then any of his linemen and he was a tailback. And he was built like a Greek god. Back in those days, not too many linemen were much heavier than 200. He was a man among boys. I also saw him play basketball against future NBA player, Derrek Dicky, from Purcell. Dickey, at 6'7" and about 30 lbs lighter, outplayed Parker. But Parker was a force to be reckoned with on the basketball court, the football field and of course the baseball field.

Last edited by bdhof; 10-05-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 08:40 AM
All District

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Begins and ends with Brian Hoyer

Nordonia - Easily Jordan Mabin

I just noticed Mitch Trubisky is being coached by Bears QB coach and St. Ignatius Alum Dave Ragone from Louisville.
Is Mabin better than D. Ward (DB currently @ The OSU)?
Old 10-05-17, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post
Canton Central Catholic:

Alan Page (if we look at entire Career)

We might also get different opinions on this depending on who posts.

But my top 2 that I was able to watch:

Ben Snell
Vince Gliatta
Alan Page the NFL Hall of Famer?

WE play you guys tommorow.
Old 10-05-17, 09:05 AM
All Region

Geno1 is on a distinguished road
For Troy, what about Gordon Bell or Ryan Brewer?

Also, please see the link below for other local schools and players.

For Wayne, I think we gotta go with Braxton!

Go Wayne!

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...sQahQE2dS5elL/
Old 10-05-17, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno1 View Post
For Troy, what about Gordon Bell or Ryan Brewer?

Also, please see the link below for other local schools and players.

For Wayne, I think we gotta go with Braxton!

Go Wayne!

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...sQahQE2dS5elL/
See my above posts on this thread. I said Brewer, and said that a lot of people will have either Ferguson or Bell. But for me, it's Brewer.
Old 10-05-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
Alan Page the NFL Hall of Famer?

WE play you guys tommorow.
Yeah, that Alan Page.
Old 10-05-17, 09:45 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber94 View Post
Hands down, nobody can argue. Look at the records.

St. Xavier - RB Scott Sollman '93

The kid could return a kick, get met by the entire specials team, then run across the field and beat the entire team there and run for a TD. He was never caught from behind his 3 years on varsity.
There is this one guy named, Luke Kuechly who people might argue for. I think he plays in the NFL for Carolina/
Old 10-05-17, 10:26 AM
All American

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods....no way in my mind to pin one player the best.

These are some players that I remember that stood out.

Dominique Brown...state champ QB
Brandon Miree.......best RB IMO
Daniel Cage .........best known lineman

There are soooo many more but these guys come to mind right away.
An endless parade of awesome backs

For the old guys pre merger ...

Forest Park HS:

Brian Mercer....RB everytime he got the ball I thought he could go all the way
Carlton Gray....DB won national player of the year awards I think
Nick Smith.......LB went to Notre Dame I think...him and Gray led state semi final team.

Greenhills HS

Cedric McDonald....total stud LB/Oline and led team to playoffs
Melvin Taylor, Kevin Shepherd, Keith Watkins broke all the school passing/receiving records and led team to state semifinals.
Leroy Williams....would love to see what is TD ratio was per times touching the ball....fastest player I ever saw.....state AAA 400 meter champ too
Old 10-05-17, 10:40 AM
All American

MiddieMagic12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
Excellent choice. Having said that Todd Bell would be neck and neck with him for best athlete. Also an amazing football player and did break Jesse Owens state record for long jump.
Can't go wrong with Todd Bell or Cris Carter. I would also have to throw in Jalin Marshall's name as well. He torched every defense he played against.
Old 10-05-17, 11:29 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
I think when a school has a rich tradition it's tough to say there was just one all time great player. Heck at Middletown who's had more down years than up the three mentioned for them are quality guys, Carter, Bell and Marshall. In fact I think you even have to break it down to offense or defense. At Moeller here are some memorable players:

Defense:
Steve Niehaus - He was a beast at DT.
Bob Crable - one of the best LB to ever play the game
Barry Larkin - He was like having another LB lined up 10-15 yards off the ball when he played safety. His speed at covering both run and pass was truly magical to watch.

Offense:
Hiawatha Francisco - besides his running ability just the history of how he got to Moeller and how it pisses off so many Moeller haters puts him near the top of the list
Eric Ellington - This dude had unbelievable speed.
Moeller's line play is what always made them special Jim Brown was one the better tackles. He was great, one of the nicest guys you'd want to meet but he was big and strong on the football field. I think his career ended early at Penn State due to injuries.
Putting college aside, I'd put Mark Brooks ahead of Francisco.
Old 10-05-17, 11:52 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
Brandon Miree.......best RB IMO
Fun factoid. I remember playing against winton woods middle school team and the back field was BJ Askew and Brandon Miree. Needless to say I actually made a couple of stops in the backfield, the other 40 I think went for touchdowns.
Old 10-05-17, 11:53 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

Quote:
I think when a school has a rich tradition it's tough to say there was just one all time great player. Heck at Middletown who's had more down years than up the three mentioned for them are quality guys, Carter, Bell and Marshall. In fact I think you even have to break it down to offense or defense. At Moeller here are some memorable players:

Defense:
Barry Larkin - He was like having another LB lined up 10-15 yards off the ball when he played safety. His speed at covering both run and pass was truly magical to watch.

Offense:
Hiawatha Francisco - besides his running ability just the history of how he got to Moeller and how it pisses off so many Moeller haters puts him near the top of the list
Moeller's line play is what always made them special Jim Brown was one the better tackles. He was great, one of the nicest guys you'd want to meet but he was big and strong on the football field. I think his career ended early at Penn State due to injuries.
Agree completely. Some schools with great tradition make this damn near impossible.
Old 10-05-17, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
Vaughn the QB from the 70's actually played at a high level started for Michigan State.
Old 10-05-17, 03:31 PM
All Ohio

Wildcat66
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
It would be Brian Dowling for Ignatius.
Agreed!!
Old 10-05-17, 04:11 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:

Defense:

Offense:
Shouldn't Francisco be under Southlake Carroll or whatever Texas high school St. Gerry flew him in from? Well? Shouldn't he?
Old 10-05-17, 04:22 PM
All Region

Geno1 is on a distinguished road
See! I told you so!

Go Wayne!

(tongue in cheek by the way)
Old 10-05-17, 04:28 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat66 View Post
Agreed!!
I read Carmen Cozza's biography and raved about Dowling.
Old 10-05-17, 06:02 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
For Alter I'd say Nick Mangold...
Some other Alter candidates: Jeff Graham, Chris Borland and Joe Thuney.

Best female football player at Alter: Holley Mangold.
Old 10-05-17, 06:23 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Jeff Cothran was fun to watch. It is too bad that he broke his hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddieMagic12 View Post
Can't go wrong with Todd Bell or Cris Carter. I would also have to throw in Jalin Marshall's name as well. He torched every defense he played against.
Old 10-05-17, 06:53 PM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
Nick Cochran. Girard. Player of the year both his Jr. and Sr. Year within Girards division. Oh, and player of the year in basketball both his Jr. and Sr. Year as well.
Old 10-05-17, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
If you asked five alumni from my alma mater, Warren Harding, you'd probably get five different answers.
You ain't lying, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Places like WGH and Canton McKinley make this question tough. Not to mention best player while at the school? Body of work? Clarett, Provitt, Stringer, Herron (?), Burgess, Manningham? My God you've had some studs.
People around here get into some serious debates about this, lol. I don't think that I've ever seen anything like Lynn Bowden. Rewrote WGH's record book in just two years. There's so many greats though.

I have highlight films made of all of the guys that you mentioned (and more) on my You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Worm02/..._as=subscriber
Old 10-05-17, 08:06 PM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Fremont Ross.....Charles Woodson.
Old 10-05-17, 08:29 PM
All Ohio

bdf111rp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRLMN1999 View Post
For VV Iím torn between Aaron Focht in the 90s and more recently Brock Bolen who went on to play in the NFL. Both were unbelievable and impossible to stop
While I'm not arguing against either player became they were both great players, I think some other players deserve mention. Shane Hannah, went to Michigan State, was a second round pick for the Cowboys and won a Super Bowl ring. David Riley, went to Ball State and was MAC offensive player of the year his senior year. Last but not least, Thomas Howard, also went to Ball State as a QB, switched to safety midway through his sophomore year and had 6 picks in 5 games. Played MLB.