Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-04-17, 12:56 PM
Moderated User

OperationFootball is an unknown quantity at this point
Who's your school's best player of all time?

I'm interested to see some of these. Now keep in mind football fans, I don't mean who went on to have the best career in college or the NFL, I mean who had the best high school football career.

I'll go first. The best player in Mechanicsburg history has to be Silas "Woodcock" Whitaker from the '67 team. They called him woodcock cause he'd run so fast it'd look like he was about to take off and fly like a woodcock bird. I remember hearing that he would train by running with bricks tied to his ankles and chasing jack rabbits. I dont know if its true but i wouldnt doubt it. Last i heard he was settled down somewhere in Nebraska on a farm, darn shame scouts wouldnt look at him.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-17, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Tough but I would have to say Ryan Brewer.
Old 10-04-17, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
A Sidney boy that played for Troy lol

For Sidney itís probaly easy to say Isaiah bowser as he keeps adding to the record books every week but 2 old timers I hear a lot about John Wiggins and Flanagan
Old 10-04-17, 01:15 PM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
A Sidney boy that played for Troy lol

For Sidney itís probaly easy to say Isaiah bowser as he keeps adding to the record books every week but 2 old timers I hear a lot about John Wiggins and Flanagan
I'd toss Kris Haines in that mix too.
Old 10-04-17, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Funny you mention Brewer. I keep thinking that if Bowser does indeed go to Northwestern, he's sure as hell going to pull a Ryan Brewer on the Buckeyes at some point.
Old 10-04-17, 01:18 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
For Lancaster It would be Rex Kern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-17, 01:32 PM
All Region

Knight time is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll show my age.....and I'm not even from Troy.....but the best high school football player I EVER saw was......Bob Ferguson from Troy.....a man amongst children, went on to be a star at Ohio State and was runner up for the Heisman...never had a negative play...refused to be brought down one-on-one....you younger fans and players look him up online...impressive man!
Old 10-04-17, 01:34 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
This is a tough one for a lot of schools.

For Anderson I struggle to choose. A lot of guys who were great in high school (all 74 Andreadis's, Kyle Slater, Joe Dunn, Chris Norwell and Steve Lainhart) but I think I would have to go with Andrew Norwell.
Old 10-04-17, 01:35 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd consider breaking that up by era.
Old 10-04-17, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight time View Post
I'll show my age.....and I'm not even from Troy.....but the best high school football player I EVER saw was......Bob Ferguson from Troy.....a man amongst children, went on to be a star at Ohio State and was runner up for the Heisman...never had a negative play...refused to be brought down one-on-one....you younger fans and players look him up online...impressive man!
Thatís why I said itís a hard choice because ppl who saw Ferguson say the same thing. Canít go wrong with any choice. Some ppl also say Gordon Bell who wouldíve had enormous stats but shared the backfield with 2 other d1 players
Old 10-04-17, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye90 View Post
Funny you mention Brewer. I keep thinking that if Bowser does indeed go to Northwestern, he's sure as hell going to pull a Ryan Brewer on the Buckeyes at some point.
Man I remember watching that game. He was a man possessed that game. He Torched the Buckeyes. Legend has it in Troy that that game got Jim Cooper fired. Osu didn’t even offer him and he let them know they should have.
Old 10-04-17, 01:41 PM
All World

unclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
Impossible to say.
Old 10-04-17, 01:43 PM
All District

Toms0655 is on a distinguished road
From Mogadore I would have to go with Chuck Moore ...scored 51 tds his senior season and won a state championship on a torn ACL
Old 10-04-17, 01:49 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

Quote:
Man I remember watching that game. He was a man possessed that game. He Torched the Buckeyes. Legend has it in Troy that that game got Jim Cooper fired. Osu didnít even offer him and he let them know they should have.
That was one of the most random look at me now games I have ever seen. Had a nice little career at USC but never quite played like that before or after.
Old 10-04-17, 01:51 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
If you asked five alumni from my alma mater, Warren Harding, you'd probably get five different answers.
Old 10-04-17, 01:52 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye90 View Post
I'd toss Kris Haines in that mix too.
John Wiggins was special as well.
Old 10-04-17, 01:57 PM
Varsity

Catman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Catman
For the Massillon Tigers it is really tough but I would probably have to say Chris Spielman.
Old 10-04-17, 02:06 PM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Hands down, nobody can argue. Look at the records.

St. Xavier - RB Scott Sollman '93

The kid could return a kick, get met by the entire specials team, then run across the field and beat the entire team there and run for a TD. He was never caught from behind his 3 years on varsity.
Old 10-04-17, 02:15 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
For the Massillon Tigers it is really tough but I would probably have to say Chris Spielman.
Agreed but Gosh there are so many that could be on that list.

Denny Franklin
Mike Mauger
Bill Harmon
Travis McGuire

Hell, I don't know.
Old 10-04-17, 02:18 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
For Alter I'd say Nick Mangold...
For Centerville, can't do much better than A.J. Hawk, but there's some challengers.
Old 10-04-17, 02:37 PM
All Ohio

IRLMN1999 is on a distinguished road
For VV I’m torn between Aaron Focht in the 90s and more recently Brock Bolen who went on to play in the NFL. Both were unbelievable and impossible to stop
Old 10-04-17, 02:39 PM
All Region

Jet19 is an unknown quantity at this point
For Springfield Northeastern Jets in my lifetime. (Since 1984) I would have to say it is a tie between Brian Kadel who started QB all 4 years from 1987-1990 going 10-0 undefeated as a soph and a senior, and his predecessor Sam Ricketts who played from 1989-1992 going 10-0 in 1992. Kadel later started QB for The University of Dayton and started for a 10-0 his senior year and held the single season QB rating for that respective college football division for some time until it was broken by former Bengals and San Diego University QB Josh Johnson. Sam Ricketts went on to start for Miami of Ohio in the mid 90s and was the only team to beat Northwestern University in 1995 when they had Darnell Autry at RB and current Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald at LB. Some honorable mentions would be before my lifetime and prob most NE people would say Dale McDonald who graduated in 1985 and played DL for West Virginia University. That was before my time tho. I wasn't around football or old enough to know what was really going on until that 1990 10-0 season. Kadel went 1-9 as a freshman starter only beating 0-10 Graham HS and went 10-0 as a senior and lost to Graham hs in the playoffs 28-27 after missing a PAT on a late game TD. That Graham playoff game is the first football game I remember. Another honorable mention would be a guy from my time and a friend of mine John Adams who is the only Springfield Northeastern JET to ever play at THE Ohio State University. His last game was the 2002 championship game vs the Miami Hurricanes. I am sure some older players should be on here as well but I simply can not recall times when I wasn't alive! lol.
Old 10-04-17, 02:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationFootball View Post
I'm interested to see some of these. Now keep in mind football fans, I don't mean who went on to have the best career in college or the NFL, I mean who had the best high school football career.

I'll go first. The best player in Mechanicsburg history has to be Silas "Woodcock" Whitaker from the '67 team. They called him woodcock cause he'd run so fast it'd look like he was about to take off and fly like a woodcock bird. I remember hearing that he would train by running with bricks tied to his ankles and chasing jack rabbits. I dont know if its true but i wouldnt doubt it. Last i heard he was settled down somewhere in Nebraska on a farm, darn shame scouts wouldnt look at him.
You sure that's why they called him "woodcock"? lol
Old 10-04-17, 02:47 PM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
This is a tough one for a lot of schools.

For Anderson I struggle to choose. A lot of guys who were great in high school (all 74 Andreadis's, Kyle Slater, Joe Dunn, Chris Norwell and Steve Lainhart) but I think I would have to go with Andrew Norwell.
Don't forget Jason Durso.
Old 10-04-17, 02:50 PM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Canton Central Catholic:

Alan Page (if we look at entire Career)

We might also get different opinions on this depending on who posts.

But my top 2 that I was able to watch:

Ben Snell
Vince Gliatta

Last edited by The Veer; 10-04-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 03:02 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
Don't forget Jason Durso.
Of course I forget the one running back I was trying to think off at the time.
Old 10-04-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
If you asked five alumni from my alma mater, Warren Harding, you'd probably get five different answers.
Places like WGH and Canton McKinley make this question tough. Not to mention best player while at the school? Body of work? Clarett, Provitt, Stringer, Herron (?), Burgess, Manningham? My God you've had some studs.
Old 10-04-17, 03:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Places like WGH and Canton McKinley make this question tough. Not to mention best player while at the school? Body of work? Clarett, Provitt, Stringer, Herron (?), Burgess, Manningham? My God you've had some studs.
I think the schools with a lot of great players should try and stick to the question. High School only.
Old 10-04-17, 03:20 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms0655 View Post
From Mogadore I would have to go with Chuck Moore ...scored 51 tds his senior season and won a state championship on a torn ACL
Top 3 from Mogadore in my opinion are definitely Chuck Moore, Tommy Lee, and Dennis Robbins.

Dennis and Chuck just so happened to play on the same team.

To be honest, as good as Chuck was he was almost (and I say almost, for a guy that had 100 yards rushing, 40 yards receiving and a couple TDs) used as a decoy in the championship game. With his injury he could run in a straight line ONLY, he never cut once in the game. We had to rely (expecially once behind) on Robbins arm.

If Robbins was QB on any other team he would have obliterated all of Mogadore's passing records. The problem was that Mogadore was historically a running team and he was on the same team as Moore.

Robbins was the best QB in both arm strength/accuracy as well as reading a defense that Mogadore has ever had. He single handedly won the 1996 state championship game, threw for 440+ yards almost all of which was in the 2nd half (easily 350+).

Tommy Lee owns every Mogadore rushing record (career, season, etc) except for TDs. Tommy also had to share the backfield for 3 of his 4 years with another great Mogadore back in John Raddish.

Tommy Lee is first in career rush yards at 5329, Moore is actually 4th at 4106, and Raddish is 7th at 3042.

So Lee was "giving up" easily 1000 yards per season to another back in the backfield. When Moore was running, we had other good back, but no one NEAR 1000+ yard rushers.

I have nothing against any of these 3 players, I consider all 3 of them friends, but if I had to rank them as "best all time" I would go

1. Tommy Lee
2. Dennis Robbins
3. Chuck Moore

All 3 are really close to each other, and there is probably a large gap after these 3 before you find the 4th best player, but that is just my opinion.

I know none of these 3 ever post on here, but the other player I mentioned (Raddish) does often, he may have an opinion as he played with Lee and I played with Robbins/Moore.
Old 10-04-17, 03:56 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Me, and the older i get the better i was.