Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-19, 08:38 AM
Freshman

BrownsCavsIndians1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
I'm tired of hearing about this Markins kid. I don't think he'd even start at Alliance or Marlington. Most of his "big" plays were in garbage time once the other team brought in their freshmen. Kids a solid player but my goodness he's not even that fast he was tied for third in the 100 in our league. If he was elite he'd be the fastest. Also comparing your program to Big Red is completely asinine.
Totally agree Captain.... Markins is a nice kid, but not gonna carry a team. He is about 125 lbs... He is quick and can catch passes and will be a decent player, but not someone you build around

Also, I almost fell out of my chair when I read comparisons to Steubenville. Those schools are should never be compared

Minerva does not have the athletes across the board right now that it needs to compete. That is the main problem.

While Basketball is at least semi-competitive (they are smallest sized team every night on the court) and baseball had a decent year or two but is in bad shape too (1-11 EBC this year, lost 18-0 to Steubenville last night in sectionals) , there arent a ton of athletes right now. Plain and simple.

As with most public high schools, athletes come and go.... times will change for the Lions...
Old 05-15-19, 09:00 AM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm tired of hearing about this Markins kid. I don't think he'd even start at Alliance or Marlington. Most of his "big" plays were in garbage time once the other team brought in their freshmen. Kids a solid player but my goodness he's not even that fast he was tied for third in the 100 in our league. If he was elite he'd be the fastest. Also comparing your program to Big Red is completely asinine.

CaptainA, - I hear ya!! Markins is fast, he is small and he will probably not be the #1 or #2 or even #3 option running the ball in Minerva. He will likely be a receiver and get the ball on sweeps occasionally. Martineau and Common will probably be the 2 options in the backfield. Both have size, Martineau is around 180 and Common is around 205. Martineau was slowed with and ankle injury last year and Common did have a couple big games against the other teams' starters last year. There is a Senior, Place that also has speed and more size.

The 3rd fastest kid in the EBC would get the ball at Alliance and Marlington. He is also super quick - so he is a weapon but they would get him the ball the right way. I do agree that a lot his yards came in "garbage time" but I think Lion's point is they need to get him the ball where he can succeed.
He ran a lot in between the tackles way too much last season (Metcalf up the middle). Also I never remember us throwing him the ball deep.

I will go back to my original concern - will the Lions have enough depth to compete with the likes of Alliance and Marlington? I don't think so but I hope we put a better product on the field this season.

Just looking forward to seeing the boys play ball!!!!
Old 05-15-19, 09:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsCavsIndians1 View Post
Totally agree Captain.... Markins is a nice kid, but not gonna carry a team. He is about 125 lbs... He is quick and can catch passes and will be a decent player, but not someone you build around

Also, I almost fell out of my chair when I read comparisons to Steubenville. Those schools are should never be compared

Minerva does not have the athletes across the board right now that it needs to compete. That is the main problem.

While Basketball is at least semi-competitive (they are smallest sized team every night on the court) and baseball had a decent year or two but is in bad shape too (1-11 EBC this year, lost 18-0 to Steubenville last night in sectionals) , there arent a ton of athletes right now. Plain and simple.

As with most public high schools, athletes come and go.... times will change for the Lions...
Yesterday's baseball game:

Steubenville - 18
Minerva - 0

I think that sums up that comparison. In fact, I don't believe any team in the EBC can be compared to Big Red in football or baseball.

For a different thread - I think Minerva's baseball program will be much improved 2020, lot's of young arms and nice development of players this year..
Old 05-15-19, 09:17 AM
All District

Toms0655 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
CaptainA, - I hear ya!! Markins is fast, he is small and he will probably not be the #1 or #2 or even #3 option running the ball in Minerva. He will likely be a receiver and get the ball on sweeps occasionally. Martineau and Common will probably be the 2 options in the backfield. Both have size, Martineau is around 180 and Common is around 205. Martineau was slowed with and ankle injury last year and Common did have a couple big games against the other teams' starters last year. There is a Senior, Place that also has speed and more size.

The 3rd fastest kid in the EBC would get the ball at Alliance and Marlington. He is also super quick - so he is a weapon but they would get him the ball the right way. I do agree that a lot his yards came in "garbage time" but I think Lion's point is they need to get him the ball where he can succeed.
He ran a lot in between the tackles way too much last season (Metcalf up the middle). Also I never remember us throwing him the ball deep.

I will go back to my original concern - will the Lions have enough depth to compete with the likes of Alliance and Marlington? I don't think so but I hope we put a better product on the field this season.

Just looking forward to seeing the boys play ball!!!!
Bring the Markins kid over to marlington, our QB will have no issues getting it to him in space🤷🏻♂️👌
Old 05-15-19, 09:55 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is the 3rd place finish on the track? Do the 2 sprinters who clocked a faster time than him play football? I can tell ya, I’ve seen track boys slow quite a bit once those pads come on. Not the case with Markins.
Old 05-15-19, 12:15 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
Is the 3rd place finish on the track? Do the 2 sprinters who clocked a faster time than him play football? I can tell ya, Iíve seen track boys slow quite a bit once those pads come on. Not the case with Markins.
He ran and 11.24. A senior Dalton from Carrollton and Senior Lehwold form Salem beat him with a 11.16 and 11.20. Durst-Hawkins from Alliance also ran an 11.24 and McKeiver ran an 11.32. He also won the long jump and placed 4th in the 200. Keep in mind CaptainA that Markins is a sophomore so I think his time and McKeiver's times are pretty good and will both only get faster..
Old 05-15-19, 01:09 PM
Freshman

no one is denying he is fast and no one is denying he is needed to make a few plays for the Lions. But they need a lot more than him if they want to compete.
Old 05-15-19, 01:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
no one is denying he is fast and no one is denying he is needed to make a few plays for the Lions. But they need a lot more than him if they want to compete.
I agree 1000% - But they have more skilled kids then people think. He will probably be the 3rd option on offense. That will be perfect for him and he will make big plays. He is too small to run the ball between the tackles, he needs the ball downfield. I am not saying Minerva will compete for a league title. They need to develop a lot more depth!! There have some very good football players on the team, however, so do all of the other teams in the EBC. He is a 135 lb sophomore and hopefully he can get that weight to 150 by the start of the season and 165 but 2021. I am hearing that Common fell in love with the weight room and is over 200 lbs and a pretty fast kid (I watched him play baseball and 200lb isn't an overstatement) . I also heard that Martinaeu looks like he will be able to carry a load too, nice big, strong and fast kid. The problem is all 3 of these kids will have to be on the field all of the time.

I also heard the Burress, Williams and Hurst are all looking good on the line, but we need more than 3...

I know Markins got a lot of his yards in "garbage time" but keep in mind that Minerva had 7 sophomores and 1 freshman on the field all of the time. So "garbage time" was a pretty even match up..

We are cautiously optimistic Browns - but also understand that we are still 0-40 and have a lot of catching up to do..
Old 05-15-19, 07:08 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yesterday's baseball game:

Steubenville - 18
Minerva - 0

I think that sums up that comparison. In fact, I don't believe any team in the EBC can be compared to Big Red in football or baseball.

For a different thread - I think Minerva's baseball program will be much improved 2020, lot's of young arms and nice development of players this year..
You guys really like to add drama, my goodness, I wasn’t comparing Minerva with Steubenville! Was saying both are D4 so Minerva could take some pointers from a very successful program in D4 and try to become more competitive themselves. Big Reds work ethic and commitment to winning is not a bad thing to learn from. And right, get Markins involved more in certain schemes and he could make some big plays. Remember, our coaching has really sucked so that reflects on how some players were involved in certain laughable schemes, I expect Hundley to change this.
Old 05-16-19, 07:21 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
You guys really like to add drama, my goodness, I wasnít comparing Minerva with Steubenville! Was saying both are D4 so Minerva could take some pointers from a very successful program in D4 and try to become more competitive themselves. Big Reds work ethic and commitment to winning is not a bad thing to learn from. And right, get Markins involved more in certain schemes and he could make some big plays. Remember, our coaching has really sucked so that reflects on how some players were involved in certain laughable schemes, I expect Hundley to change this.
I get what you are saying Lion. Steubenville is a great template for smaller public schools. They are good at just about every sport. Indian Valley, Coldwater, John Glenn and Kirkland are some other schools that are great models for success. It can be done and I really think Coach Hundley is the right guy to get it started. Pretty excited to see where this thing is going!!!
Old 05-16-19, 12:45 PM
Freshman

I know this is a "bash the coaches page" (which I am totally against btw....) but I might point out that there is a huge lack of athletes in the major sports at Minerva these days...

3 "main varsity sports"

0-6 EBC in football --- last place
1-11 EBC in baseball --- last place
4-8 EBC in basketball --- 6th place

guys, this cant all be coaching...in all 3 sports... weak classes right now

times change and athletes come and go.... only gonna go up for Minerva in future

GO Lions....

Last edited by BrownsCavsIndians1; 05-16-19 at 12:49 PM. Reason: addition of info
Old 05-16-19, 02:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
I know this is a "bash the coaches page" (which I am totally against btw....) but I might point out that there is a huge lack of athletes in the major sports at Minerva these days...

3 "main varsity sports"

0-6 EBC in football --- last place
1-11 EBC in baseball --- last place
4-8 EBC in basketball --- 6th place

guys, this cant all be coaching...in all 3 sports... weak classes right now

times change and athletes come and go.... only gonna go up for Minerva in future

GO Lions....
Great points.. I would add Wrestling and Track to your list though. Those are part of the "main sports" We had a 3-1 wrestling team and ended 3-1 and the boys track team ended 3rd in the EBC meet - with a lot of under classmen competing extremely well. So that's where I see some talent coming through.

You are correct about talent. You have to have it to win games as a coach.

I will have to say that the 4-8 Basketball was not quite as bad as the record with a lot of 1 point losses and I think we have one of the best basketball coaches in the area (Coach Green) - if you saw any games they played hard and with pride.

I think our baseball coach (Greg Travis) was left with an empty cupboard and did a great job - I saw improvement as the year went on during a 7-17 season. We have had very talented players throughout the years but have never really been a baseball school. Hopefully coach Travis can turn that around.

I think the football coaches were all knowledgeable and proved they can coach but it was time for a change. Lance Willison is a good man and took over a program that was in disarray and just didn't have the talent to turn it around. But I will contend that we could have won 5 to 7 games during "the streak)".

Last year was a rough year and we had as many as 7 sophomores and 1 freshman on the field at all times - both sides of the ball. 2018 may have been the most difficult year with a lot of boys taking lumps. It is very difficult for a coach to look at the game film and just know that you don't have a chance on a weekly basis. It can beat you down and I think the staff just lost confidence. That is why it was time for a change. I do think there is talent coming and we can compete better.
Old 05-17-19, 07:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
I agree 1000% - But they have more skilled kids then people think. He will probably be the 3rd option on offense. That will be perfect for him and he will make big plays. He is too small to run the ball between the tackles, he needs the ball downfield. I am not saying Minerva will compete for a league title. They need to develop a lot more depth!! There have some very good football players on the team, however, so do all of the other teams in the EBC. He is a 135 lb sophomore and hopefully he can get that weight to 150 by the start of the season and 165 but 2021. I am hearing that Common fell in love with the weight room and is over 200 lbs and a pretty fast kid (I watched him play baseball and 200lb isn't an overstatement) . I also heard that Martinaeu looks like he will be able to carry a load too, nice big, strong and fast kid. The problem is all 3 of these kids will have to be on the field all of the time.

I also heard the Burress, Williams and Hurst are all looking good on the line, but we need more than 3...

I know Markins got a lot of his yards in "garbage time" but keep in mind that Minerva had 7 sophomores and 1 freshman on the field all of the time. So "garbage time" was a pretty even match up..

We are cautiously optimistic Browns - but also understand that we are still 0-40 and have a lot of catching up to do..
Why not Common at QB? Have these positions been determined? If Costea is picked at QB so much for any issues being solved. We need size, athleticism and leadership at QB, sounds like we have RB’s. Starting a coaches Sophomore son who should be playing at JV level makes the validity of change mute. If this happens I feel we haven’t changed the culture. Many parents and kids seen this obvious favoritism move for a coaches son and were disgusted by it, makes kids not want to play or parents support them playing when this happens. Hundley would be off to a terrible start with many if it goes that way again. The kids play along with his absolutely horrible numbers proved he shouldn’t have been on the field. If you want numbers to go up this is one way to guarantee they won’t!
Old 05-20-19, 12:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Why not Common at QB? Have these positions been determined? If Costea is picked at QB so much for any issues being solved. We need size, athleticism and leadership at QB, sounds like we have RBís. Starting a coaches Sophomore son who should be playing at JV level makes the validity of change mute. If this happens I feel we havenít changed the culture. Many parents and kids seen this obvious favoritism move for a coaches son and were disgusted by it, makes kids not want to play or parents support them playing when this happens. Hundley would be off to a terrible start with many if it goes that way again. The kids play along with his absolutely horrible numbers proved he shouldnít have been on the field. If you want numbers to go up this is one way to guarantee they wonít!
Lion, I heard Common has every tool needed for a dual threat high school quarterback. Some Minerva conspiracy theorists say he never really got a shot as a full time QB because the old coaching staff had the other kid penciled in at QB since he was in 7th grade. They didn't want Common to succeed because what do you do then? Had he been at QB since 8th grade I am guessing we would not be talking about the QB positon.I hope that is not true. But I watched him play QB in 8th and 9th grade and he was really good.

I hope this is true - I heard Common is still an option at QB and the decision has not been made. Who will play QB will depend on what offense they run. Wide open spread with QB runs, look for Common at QB. Heavy ball control run game, look for Costea at QB and Common at RB. He is also one of the better athletes and they really need him on the defensive side of the ball and will likely play both ways. They really don't want their QB on defense, at least at linebacker.. Costea has gotten bigger and stronger so hopefully he provides a different look. He is a really good kid and excellent competitor. I heard both Common and Costea will do whatever it takes and play where ever they are asked to play for this team to win games.

But it decisions are made because a kid is a coaches son and has been around the program for years then that is a travesty.
Old 05-20-19, 07:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Lion, I heard Common has every tool needed for a dual threat high school quarterback. Some Minerva conspiracy theorists say he never really got a shot as a full time QB because the old coaching staff had the other kid penciled in at QB since he was in 7th grade. They didn't want Common to succeed because what do you do then? Had he been at QB since 8th grade I am guessing we would not be talking about the QB positon.I hope that is not true. But I watched him play QB in 8th and 9th grade and he was really good.

I hope this is true - I heard Common is still an option at QB and the decision has not been made. Who will play QB will depend on what offense they run. Wide open spread with QB runs, look for Common at QB. Heavy ball control run game, look for Costea at QB and Common at RB. He is also one of the better athletes and they really need him on the defensive side of the ball and will likely play both ways. They really don't want their QB on defense, at least at linebacker.. Costea has gotten bigger and stronger so hopefully he provides a different look. He is a really good kid and excellent competitor. I heard both Common and Costea will do whatever it takes and play where ever they are asked to play for this team to win games.

But it decisions are made because a kid is a coaches son and has been around the program for years then that is a travesty.
I seen Common play in earlier levels too and I remember thinking boy does Minerva have a good QB in the horizon, then, nepotism took over and look at the mess left behind. I would say the time lost for Common at QB is not all negative because of his size, football knowledge and athleticism with previous experience at QB I think it’s a no brainer to me. He would be suiting up at QB week one. I know the JV team QB this year would like to play varsity too and everyone says he’s better then Costea, but I bet he doesn’t see any varsity time because until this mind set changes “he don’t have the name”. Playing both ways is nothing new to the Lions and not that terrible, we did when I played too! I can’t even believe what your telling me about the QB position considering how bad his play was last year, sad we are even talking about it again.
Old 05-21-19, 07:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
I seen Common play in earlier levels too and I remember thinking boy does Minerva have a good QB in the horizon, then, nepotism took over and look at the mess left behind. I would say the time lost for Common at QB is not all negative because of his size, football knowledge and athleticism with previous experience at QB I think itís a no brainer to me. He would be suiting up at QB week one. I know the JV team QB this year would like to play varsity too and everyone says heís better then Costea, but I bet he doesnít see any varsity time because until this mind set changes ďhe donít have the nameĒ. Playing both ways is nothing new to the Lions and not that terrible, we did when I played too! I canít even believe what your telling me about the QB position considering how bad his play was last year, sad we are even talking about it again.
Lot's of great points Lion. I hope Hundley and the staff makes the right decisions to help the team win. I am keeping the faith that our new coach will make the right decisions and put the kids in the right places. but I do agree, Common seems to have all of the tools to be a prototypical high school dual threat quarterback, but a 205 to 210 lb running back would be nice too.

Athletes like him, Martineau, Markins, Burress and Williams don't grow on trees, especially in Minerva. All I ask is we don't have out best athletes on the sidelines in 2019!!! I hope in about 3 1/2 months we are talking about a great turn around.

I heard we will probably only have 2 seniors on the team, have you heard anything about that?
Old 05-21-19, 01:56 PM
All District

bodiaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Minerva just needs to get out of the EBC, they really have no business in that league. They belong in the PAC along with Canton South, where they might actually compete for a few wins. A novel idea that is being done in Florida, teams that are bad for three or four straight years, similar to how Minerva has fared, one has a 37 game losing streak, are dropping out of the Florida version of OHSA, and playing as an Independent squad. This allows them to rebuild their program while playing a hand picked schedule to give the ma better shot at winning. Schools like Minerva that have such a horrendous losing streak have systemic problems that probably run deep into the feeder system thus taking years to change the depth of failures at the varsity level.
Old 05-21-19, 07:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
Lot's of great points Lion. I hope Hundley and the staff makes the right decisions to help the team win. I am keeping the faith that our new coach will make the right decisions and put the kids in the right places. but I do agree, Common seems to have all of the tools to be a prototypical high school dual threat quarterback, but a 205 to 210 lb running back would be nice too.

Athletes like him, Martineau, Markins, Burress and Williams don't grow on trees, especially in Minerva. All I ask is we don't have out best athletes on the sidelines in 2019!!! I hope in about 3 1/2 months we are talking about a great turn around.

I heard we will probably only have 2 seniors on the team, have you heard anything about that?
Heard nothing on the Seniors, did hear Hundley may have sparked interest in some kids to play this year that are athletes so letís hope. Also you talked about running an offense where we grind the ball instead of the spread offense. Bad idea! Didnít work in the past and wonít work now, I donít care whoís running the ball. The best O for us because of our current format and league should be a spread. Again, we need to be more diverse in play calling and schemes. Common at QB with his athleticism and size could open up the offense and give us many options.
Old 05-21-19, 08:01 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiaz View Post
Minerva just needs to get out of the EBC, they really have no business in that league. They belong in the PAC along with Canton South, where they might actually compete for a few wins. A novel idea that is being done in Florida, teams that are bad for three or four straight years, similar to how Minerva has fared, one has a 37 game losing streak, are dropping out of the Florida version of OHSA, and playing as an Independent squad. This allows them to rebuild their program while playing a hand picked schedule to give the ma better shot at winning. Schools like Minerva that have such a horrendous losing streak have systemic problems that probably run deep into the feeder system thus taking years to change the depth of failures at the varsity level.
I agree with you. Basically due to the numbers for us and how we “fit in” better in other leagues. I have always been ask why does Minerva play in the NBC and now the EBC ,we still have number issues and probably will continue too. I am not saying go to a league where we are the biggest, just can compete better. Being a D4 school the PAC would be a good fit, but so would others and travel would be pretty similar. I hope a culture change is in place for us but the administration has to realize the EBC is ok for us but leagues we speak of like the PAC is one we would do well in. I like the Florida system , however, as you know in Ohio going independent can be bad news. Seems schools of your enrollment who have an open date are 100 miles away or you find a school that is 3 divisions smaller. Typically it’s a nightmare to go independent but I get your point and think the way Florida does it must be very beneficial to a struggling school if that’s the system protocol, but I don’t think that would work in Ohio for the most part.

Last edited by Lion 86; 05-21-19 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 08:20 AM
All Region

Quote:
Heard nothing on the Seniors, did hear Hundley may have sparked interest in some kids to play this year that are athletes so letís hope. Also you talked about running an offense where we grind the ball instead of the spread offense. Bad idea! Didnít work in the past and wonít work now, I donít care whoís running the ball. The best O for us because of our current format and league should be a spread. Again, we need to be more diverse in play calling and schemes. Common at QB with his athleticism and size could open up the offense and give us many options.
I don't disagree with you Lion. I have been a proponent of Common at QB for a couple of years now. In his brief stints at QB he proved to be a dynamic runner and passer. Plus we have Martineau, Markins, Place and Johns who can all run. It just seems like that combination would give d-coordinators headaches. But I am trying to keep and open mind. I and excited to see what happens.. I an also curious to see what Hundley does to fix the defense..
Old 05-22-19, 08:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
I agree with you. Basically due to the numbers for us and how we ďfit inĒ better in other leagues. I have always been ask why does Minerva play in the NBC and now the EBC ,we still have number issues and probably will continue too. I am not saying go to a league where we are the biggest, just can compete better. Being a D4 school the PAC would be a good fit, but so would others and travel would be pretty similar. I hope a culture change is in place for us but the administration has to realize the EBC is ok for us but leagues we speak of like the PAC is one we would do well in. I like the Florida system , however, as you know in Ohio going independent can be bad news. Seems schools of your enrollment who have an open date are 100 miles away or you find a school that is 3 divisions smaller. Typically itís a nightmare to go independent but I get your point and think the way Florida does it must be very beneficial to a struggling school if thatís the system protocol, but I donít think that would work in Ohio for the most part.
I have always been a big fan of the NBC/EBC. But if we were to leave I think the PAC would be a good fit. I lot of states have geographic leagues with schools of similar sizes that could change every year. I don't know the details but they play in certain districts. I do like the traditional leagues in Ohio but they are always changing now anyways. The OHSAA may need to start looking at something like this??