Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-19, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hester View Post
Can they actually do something on the field before we anoint them this national power? I mean they have never won a Division 1 title EVER!!! This is like people who get hot and bothered by Boise State. Yeah they do good and dominate their lower level division just like BS dominates the MWC. Put BS in the SEC and see what happens. They would get crushed week in and week out. Make Hoban play in the big side of the Suburban League and see what happens. I do not even want to mention the injuries and fatigue they would suffer if they were in the Federal League. To play Green one week and then have to go against Glenoak or Mckinley the following week, they would be too beat up to compete. BS was able to get up for a game against a big school here and there just like Hoban can. BS can stand for Boise State or the fallacy that is this Hoban preseason ranking.
You need to review your post and re think your logic. Wadsworth and Barberton have been the dominate teams in the suburban and both have paled in comparison to Hobanís current run. Barberton lost by 29 in regional final to Hoban, Wadsworth lost 2 times in playoffs to teams that lost to Hoban or prior to playing Hoban. McKinley??? Hoban beat them in 2015/2016 by almost 100 points combined. They couldnít get off the schedule quick enough. Winton Woods lost by 28 to Hoban in 2017 title game, and they had beaten several D1 teams and Lasalle twice. Hoban is 57-3 with 4 titles over past 4 years. 3 losses were to Edís, Iggy and Bene. The rankings donít mean a lot but they have earned the recognition as one of the most dominate teams in the country at any division. When was the last time a suburban team won a state title in football?? Fed??? McKinley??
Old 05-09-19, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
So many haphazard rants in here. It makes it hard to distinguish the drunken rants from the uninformed idiocy. In the end, Hoban is an elite program in the State of Ohio. We'll never know if they'd win D1 as they'll never play in it. Tearing down or propping up other teams or conferences adds little to the discussion of how Hoban will be in 2019.
Old 05-09-19, 10:30 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Coventry? Nobody would leave their school for the swamps of Coventry unless you were in a desperate situation like South Akron kids. Springfield and Field kids wont even entertain transferring to Coventry. Chester the molester is more worried about fake cops coming into their schools than football players.
Please be more careful who your calling 'the swamps". You may not be a fan of the Comets, but I have known a lot of classy people that have come up through Coventry. There are good things happening in that district.

As an aside, I know somebody who left a elite boarding school, Gould Academy for Coventry. Now he will be playing Basketball for Stetson.
Old 05-09-19, 11:41 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Can they actually do something on the field before we anoint them this national power? I mean they have never won a Division 1 title EVER!!! This is like people who get hot and bothered by Boise State. Yeah they do good and dominate their lower level division just like BS dominates the MWC. Put BS in the SEC and see what happens. They would get crushed week in and week out. Make Hoban play in the big side of the Suburban League and see what happens. I do not even want to mention the injuries and fatigue they would suffer if they were in the Federal League. To play Green one week and then have to go against Glenoak or Mckinley the following week, they would be too beat up to compete. BS was able to get up for a game against a big school here and there just like Hoban can. BS can stand for Boise State or the fallacy that is this Hoban preseason ranking.
Congratulations. You are now the dunce moron of the thread. Thinking Hoban would suffer in the Federal League is as imbecilic as anything I've ever read on here. Massillon beats Fed teams consistently, including our arch rivals. You saw what Hoban did to us last year although we mounted a monumental comeback to make it close. I can't even respond logically to this post because well, quite frankly you have no logic. IDIOTIC.
Old 05-09-19, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Lol, Egret.

There may be "some" (miniscule) FL debate but Green and Glenoak back to back is your weakest possible argument. Smh.
Old 05-09-19, 12:54 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Lol, Egret.

There may be "some" (miniscule) FL debate but Green and Glenoak back to back is your weakest possible argument. Smh.
I was thinking the same thing! I'm no Hoban fan, but that was one of the silliest rants on Yappi. And THAT is saying something!
Old 05-09-19, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Congratulations. You are now the dunce moron of the thread. Thinking Hoban would suffer in the Federal League is as imbecilic as anything I've ever read on here. Massillon beats Fed teams consistently, including our arch rivals. You saw what Hoban did to us last year although we mounted a monumental comeback to make it close. I can't even respond logically to this post because well, quite frankly you have no logic. IDIOTIC.
I don't know E, Glen Oak has won a combined 4 games the last 2 seasons. They might wear poor little Hoban down.
Old 05-09-19, 01:21 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I don't know E, Glen Oak has won a combined 4 games the last 2 seasons. They might wear poor little Hoban down.
LOL. The more facts we throw at this the more idiotic this boy becomes. Jesus Lord, son.
Old 05-09-19, 01:28 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
floating bye week in the FL - D2 wadsworth right down the road, tigertown on the other side of the fed - the sub in the same county.

Hoban would schedule EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.
Old 05-14-19, 02:28 PM
Varsity

open24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
You need to review your post and re think your logic. Wadsworth and Barberton have been the dominate teams in the suburban and both have paled in comparison to Hobanís current run. Barberton lost by 29 in regional final to Hoban, Wadsworth lost 2 times in playoffs to teams that lost to Hoban or prior to playing Hoban. McKinley??? Hoban beat them in 2015/2016 by almost 100 points combined. They couldnít get off the schedule quick enough. Winton Woods lost by 28 to Hoban in 2017 title game, and they had beaten several D1 teams and Lasalle twice. Hoban is 57-3 with 4 titles over past 4 years. 3 losses were to Edís, Iggy and Bene. The rankings donít mean a lot but they have earned the recognition as one of the most dominate teams in the country at any division. When was the last time a suburban team won a state title in football?? Fed??? McKinley??
Hoban is/has been the best team in the State any division for a while now. No doubt they could compete D1. They have built a machine by great coaching and an incredible strength program.

Wadsworth and Hoban would be fun. Wadsworth has maybe the best, most dynamic coach in the state that nobody talks about. He will maximize what is possible from a public school resource wise. Problem with a school like Wadsworth is they are dependent on strong classes. The 2020 and 2021 classes are strong but after that, slim pickings. Hoban has the machine and draw to reload over and over. Hoban is the measuring stick.

Barberton is a fraud. Back to back 10-0 seasons on the weak side of SL. Would have been around 500 in the National Conference. Hate to say that because good people in chicken town but Wadsworth dominated them in a scrimmage last season and would have ran them off the field in a regular game. Tri Valley beat them into submission week 11. Barberton don't want no Hoban smoke until they can get by Norton in regulation.

How did Green and Coventry get in this convo? Although, Coventry has probably the best private strength training facility and strength gurus anywhere right down the street from their school except not sure how many of their guys know it.

Massillon can hang but they have the resources. It starts in the weightroom, which starts with resources. If you are gonna hang with Hoban or Massillon, it's a 365 day a year task.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-19, 12:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by open24 View Post
How did Green and Coventry get in this convo? Although, Coventry has probably the best private strength training facility and strength gurus anywhere right down the street from their school except not sure how many of their guys know it.
Well believe it or not I am not responsible for Coventry being in the Conversation this time. But While this is a thing now, I might as well address your point. Yes, that is Keith Shinn you speak of. he was on Coventry's 1996 state championship wrestling team, he coached Coventry Wrestling for a few years, left, and then founded the steelyard facility.

keith Shinn's steelyard surely doesn't compare with Hobans 1st class weightroom. It is indeed a privately managed business, athletes pay out of their own pockets to train. Keith Shinn has to put bread on his table some way or another after all. However, given the nature of a fiscally strapped district like Coventry. a 1st class weight room with a first class guru supported directly by the school district is out of the question here. So we have to take what we can get. And that is the steelyard.

And I think the comets do take advantage of the steelyard pretty well. All of our coaching staff, from football/soccer/basketball to track/cross country have a working relationship with Shinn, where the coaches and Shinn will work together to coordinate their athletes training regime, in a way that is optimal to the coaches needs. And many of our top athletes do utilize it.

Again, its not what hoban has, but a fiscally strapped district is gonna take what it can get.
Old 05-15-19, 08:07 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Well believe it or not I am not responsible for Coventry being in the Conversation this time. But While this is a thing now, I might as well address your point. Yes, that is Keith Shinn you speak of. he was on Coventry's 1996 state championship wrestling team, he coached Coventry Wrestling for a few years, left, and then founded the steelyard facility.

keith Shinn's steelyard surely doesn't compare with Hobans 1st class weightroom. It is indeed a privately managed business, athletes pay out of their own pockets to train. Keith Shinn has to put bread on his table some way or another after all. However, given the nature of a fiscally strapped district like Coventry. a 1st class weight room with a first class guru supported directly by the school district is out of the question here. So we have to take what we can get. And that is the steelyard.

And I think the comets do take advantage of the steelyard pretty well. All of our coaching staff, from football/soccer/basketball to track/cross country have a working relationship with Shinn, where the coaches and Shinn will work together to coordinate their athletes training regime, in a way that is optimal to the coaches needs. And many of our top athletes do utilize it.

Again, its not what hoban has, but a fiscally strapped district is gonna take what it can get.
I should have chose my words more carefully. Didn't mean to sound like I was dissing the Coventry kids.

My point was more that Coventry is unique having access to a facility/trainer like that. I can't think of any towns/districts that size that have that type of facility at their disposal. I'm from a very similar district and there is nothing close to that type of place.

Hoban and Massillon are in a class of their own as far as training facilities and resources. If a place like The Steelyard is "what we can get" , that's a solid next best thing. I have friend whose son trains there and he swears by Shinn. He said the kids that go there are just "different".

45 lbs is 45 lbs no matter how shiny the room is. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

Old 05-15-19, 09:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Larry Hester is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post

Wasn't Shinn involved in the Akron Police steroid scandal? Coventry, Springfield and the likes are the only ones who would let this guy by their kids.
Old 05-15-19, 09:17 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Wasn't Shinn involved in the Akron Police steroid scandal? Coventry, Springfield and the likes are the only ones who would let this guy by their kids.
Don't know anything about that but he apparently trains guys from all over. No personal stake here but steroids are always a convenient excuse from people who don't work hard.

Old 05-15-19, 10:56 AM
Junior Varsity

Library55 is on a distinguished road
Is Hoban more of a spread team? Looking forward to seeing them play this year. I plan to get to a couple of their games.
Old 05-15-19, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Library55 View Post
Is Hoban more of a spread team? Looking forward to seeing them play this year. I plan to get to a couple of their games.
Their signature the last 4 years has been to overwhelm people physically with a great o-line and talented backs, while taking their fair share of aggressive shots downfield. Will be interesting to see if they change their offensive approach at all this season, as the o-line is in flux, and they have an experienced QB and a ton of skill talent at WR/TE.
Old 05-15-19, 11:31 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library55 View Post
Heavy Run with physical line/FB and Tight end. QB throws about 70% completionís, very few mistakes and will tuck and run if pressed. Very good runner from the pocket. Smart kid who has lost 1 game in 2 years. WRís unproven but will be adequate to make plays when teams crowd the box to stop the run. Defense will give up less than 12 a game on average, fast and athletic. Very well coached and donít make mistakes. Machine.
Old 05-15-19, 11:50 AM
Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No personal stake here but steroids are always a convenient excuse from people who don't work hard.
Is it your opinion that PEDs are used by no high school football player in the Akron area?
Old 05-15-19, 12:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post
Is it your opinion that PEDs are used by no high school football player in the Akron area?
No, I'm sure there is PED abuse in the Akron area the same as there is everywhere.

I did think the post that I quoted was irresponsible. In the first sentence the poster asks about a person/situation by name. Speculates about a situation yet still throws out a name on a public forum. Second sentence seems to infer that his initial question was true without providing any facts then goes on to bash a few districts and their parents. Just seemed like a cowardly post.

My opinion of the person and facility mentioned is from info I've gathered from a co worker who I respect and following social media. I simply said that I have heard great things about the guy and the facility. I guess it got a little off topic.

Old 05-15-19, 12:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Bro, I know you are relatively new here, but you ought to be more careful about throwing around unsubstantiated accusations. keith Shinn was a phenomenal athlete for Coventry. And is an even better man. he goes above and beyond to help athletes through the steelyard. When those kids are struggling academically, he even offers to tutor them to get their grades up.

So when you go around throwing unsubstantiated claims like that, you had better provide some facts and sources, which I know you don't have any. otherwise, you bear no more credibility then if I was to sit here and claim that Hobans athletes all use PED's.

Sorry to everyone about perpetuating our off topic conversations that really have nothing to do with Hoban, but Im not gonna just let this guy Larry Hester tarnish keith Shinn, or my community for that matter.
Old 05-15-19, 12:39 PM
All American

Quote:
I should have chose my words more carefully. Didn't mean to sound like I was dissing the Coventry kids.

My point was more that Coventry is unique having access to a facility/trainer like that. I can't think of any towns/districts that size that have that type of facility at their disposal. I'm from a very similar district and there is nothing close to that type of place.

Hoban and Massillon are in a class of their own as far as training facilities and resources. If a place like The Steelyard is "what we can get" , that's a solid next best thing. I have friend whose son trains there and he swears by Shinn. He said the kids that go there are just "different".

45 lbs is 45 lbs no matter how shiny the room is. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

Your all good.
Old 05-15-19, 11:38 PM
All American

JJBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
You need to review your post and re think your logic. Wadsworth and Barberton have been the dominate teams in the suburban and both have paled in comparison to Hoban’s current run. Barberton lost by 29 in regional final to Hoban, Wadsworth lost 2 times in playoffs to teams that lost to Hoban or prior to playing Hoban. McKinley??? Hoban beat them in 2015/2016 by almost 100 points combined. They couldn’t get off the schedule quick enough. Winton Woods lost by 28 to Hoban in 2017 title game, and they had beaten several D1 teams and Lasalle twice. Hoban is 57-3 with 4 titles over past 4 years. 3 losses were to Ed’s, Iggy and Bene. The rankings don’t mean a lot but they have earned the recognition as one of the most dominate teams in the country at any division. When was the last time a suburban team won a state title in football?? Fed??? McKinley??
You are a total idiot if you think Hoban's best teams beating a predominantly sophomore rebuilding McKinley team in the opener in '15 means anything. The following year McKinley was only down 21-14 at the half after being stopped at the one just before half. And THAT McKinley team was stiil mostly underclassmen. Our '97 National Champions would likely have destroyed any Hoban team. Hoban has only just been good lately. We are the winningest D1 program in Ohio.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION
Old 05-16-19, 06:13 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
You are a total idiot if you think Hoban's best teams beating a predominantly sophomore rebuilding McKinley team in the opener in '15 means anything. The following year McKinley was only down 21-14 at the half after being stopped at the one just before half. And THAT McKinley team was stiil mostly underclassmen. Our '97 National Champions would likely have destroyed any Hoban team. Hoban has only just been good lately. We are the winningest D1 program in Ohio.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION
Little sensitive arenít we? A team from the 90ís destroying a team from today is merely conjecture and we will never know. I only know on a head to head in 15í & 16í a school with half the enrollment in boys destroyed the larger school on the field. I seem to see you denigrate Massillon fans about their titles not won on the field, isnít that the same as saying a team would destroy another team from 20 plus years ago without actually playing the game? My statement was facts, games were played and results posted. Yours is an opinion of bygone glory days. (see Bruce Springsteen song Glory Days) as reference.
Old 05-16-19, 09:46 AM
All Ohio

brian
[QUOTE=JJBulldog;7311806]You are a total idiot if you think Hoban's best teams beating a predominantly sophomore rebuilding McKinley team in the opener in '15 means anything. The following year McKinley was only down 21-14 at the half after being stopped at the one just before half. And THAT McKinley team was stiil mostly underclassmen. Our '97 National Champions would likely have destroyed any Hoban team. Hoban has only just been good lately. We are the winningest D1 program in Ohio.

This (Hoban has only been good lately) is false. Has Hoban's program traditionally been McKinley or Massillon-level good? No, and no-one would argue that fact. But a team that reached the playoffs 10 times from 1998-2009, twice making the state final four in that stretch, is not a program that has "only been good lately", unless "lately" stretches back 20 years. Since the program gained prominence with state ranked teams in the late sixties there was certainly inconsistency in a period only peppered with formidable squads until the nineties. As recent as 2008 the team was in the D2 Final Four before suffering three straight losing seasons in 2010-12. Since that time the program has returned to form and ascended to its current height.

McKinley, Massillon, Ignatius, Steubenville, etc. are among the standards for consistency and excellence in Ohio High School Football, for sure. But just because a team doesn't win its first state title until 2015 does not mean the program wasn't any good up until that point.