Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-19, 08:02 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Battle of Painesville hiatus

Harvey and Riverside will not play each other on the football field beginning this year. They have played each year for nearly 70 years. The rivalry involves two football programs currently with a large competitive gap.

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...bf614b81d.html
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-19, 08:26 AM
Varsity

buno67 is on a distinguished road
Itís smart for both sides. Allows Riverside to schedule a program that could either make them some playoff points or at least test them by playing a great team. Yeah it was the Painesville cross area rival but it did nothing for both programs. Maybe Harvey can schedule an easier team and help build confidence in that team and eventually program
Old 05-10-19, 11:20 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buno67 View Post
It’s smart for both sides. Allows Riverside to schedule a program that could either make them some playoff points or at least test them by playing a great team. Yeah it was the Painesville cross area rival but it did nothing for both programs. Maybe Harvey can schedule an easier team and help build confidence in that team and eventually program
Riverside replaced Harvey with Lima Senior, a D2 program that went 2-8 last year and only 1-8 against OHSAA opponents(Lima Senior played a non-OHSAA school last year week 3 so they're replacing them with riverside). Harvey now plays Grand Valley, who went 7-3 last year and usually has a pretty respectable squad, so honestly playing GV instead of Riverside isn't much of a downgrade for them. This doesn't make sense to me at all. Clearly gaining playoff points wasnt a top priority for Riverside if they replaced Harvey with a team that's equally as bad. Same for Harvey if they're scheduling decent teams still. I think something else happened that no one is talking about for this rivalry to suddenly stop. People act like Riverside is some juggernaut. Yea they've won this rivalry for some time, but let's not act like Riverside is now Kirtland. Something doesnt add up to me
Old 05-10-19, 01:21 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Soooooo who was sniffing the most glue when Painesville Riverside and Lima Senior decided to play each other??? They do realize it's a 3 hour drive from one to the other.

This is not the first time Lima Senior has made puzzling decisions concerning scheduling. Last year Lima Senior scheduled COF to come to Lima and this year they scheduled in town "rival" Lima Central Catholic for week 1 (the two have NEVER met in football). Now it sounds like they have put Riverside on the schedule which makes absolutely no sense for either team. Now I know Lima has had week 3 open this off season ever since COF became a non-entity so I guess it makes sense BUT still, a 3 hour drive on a school bus is not pleasant at all.
Old 05-14-19, 01:06 PM
Varsity

buno67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Riverside replaced Harvey with Lima Senior, a D2 program that went 2-8 last year and only 1-8 against OHSAA opponents(Lima Senior played a non-OHSAA school last year week 3 so they're replacing them with riverside). Harvey now plays Grand Valley, who went 7-3 last year and usually has a pretty respectable squad, so honestly playing GV instead of Riverside isn't much of a downgrade for them. This doesn't make sense to me at all. Clearly gaining playoff points wasnt a top priority for Riverside if they replaced Harvey with a team that's equally as bad. Same for Harvey if they're scheduling decent teams still. I think something else happened that no one is talking about for this rivalry to suddenly stop. People act like Riverside is some juggernaut. Yea they've won this rivalry for some time, but let's not act like Riverside is now Kirtland. Something doesnt add up to me
Well Lima is a bigger program being D2, so more points for Riverside.
Yeah Grand Valley was solid last year but they do play weaker and smaller schools. So Harvey could have size but I doubt it. Pretty sure Harvey is D3 and GV is 5 or 6
Old 05-14-19, 02:15 PM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Historically, Riverside has struggled to get wins during their first two weeks and have used the Harvey game as a springboard to more successful seasons. We will see if the rivalry had anything to do with that or if a win is inspiration enough the next two seasons. I expected Riverside to schedule not too tough an opponent since they start the season with two strong programs (Perry and Kirtland). Then, the tough WRC after week 3.
Old 05-14-19, 05:41 PM
#BleedBlack&Gold

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...ign=user-share
Old 05-15-19, 05:53 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buno67 View Post
Well Lima is a bigger program being D2, so more points for Riverside.
Yeah Grand Valley was solid last year but they do play weaker and smaller schools. So Harvey could have size but I doubt it. Pretty sure Harvey is D3 and GV is 5 or 6
So instead of playing D3 Harvey, they travel 3 hours away to play D2 Lima Senior. Hope that extra 1/2 point was worth the 6 hour round trip, because it literally wont make a difference point wise.
Old 05-15-19, 05:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
This article made me cringe to be honest:

"Clearly, Riverside widened the gap significantly between the two programs from where it once was, to its credit a perennial conference and playoff contender."

Riverside makes the playoffs in 2018 for the first time in 5 years and suddenly they're a perennial playoff contender? They were under .500 the 3 years before last year. Cmon now. This guy makes Riverside out to be some juggernaut.
Old 05-15-19, 08:10 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
This article made me cringe to be honest:

"Clearly, Riverside widened the gap significantly between the two programs from where it once was, to its credit a perennial conference and playoff contender."

Riverside makes the playoffs in 2018 for the first time in 5 years and suddenly they're a perennial playoff contender? They were under .500 the 3 years before last year. Cmon now. This guy makes Riverside out to be some juggernaut.
My interpretation of the article was a comparison of the two programs over the last 26 years. So, where Riverside has made the playoffs consecutive years before (2006-2007), Harvey has just not competed for many league titles or made the playoffs at all. Otherwise, if his intention was to make Riverside's program look as a juggernaut....yeah, that just wouldn't be accurate.

Last edited by BlackandGold; 05-15-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 08:22 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
So instead of playing D3 Harvey, they travel 3 hours away to play D2 Lima Senior. Hope that extra 1/2 point was worth the 6 hour round trip, because it literally wont make a difference point wise.
I was assuming it's a two year home/home contract for all four schools, but I have yet to see anything confirming that. The original article only mentions that Harvey has picked up Grand Valley and Riverside picked up Lima Senior for 2019. On Arbiter, Riverside still has Harvey in week 3 for 2020, even though they have publicly said it's a two year hiatus. In 2018, Lima Senior only had 9 games count for OHSAAA. So, would they travel both years just to fill out a 10-game schedule? We will have to wait for some confirmation.
Old 05-15-19, 05:47 PM
Freshman

dhsdog06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
I was assuming it's a two year home/home contract for all four schools, but I have yet to see anything confirming that. The original article only mentions that Harvey has picked up Grand Valley and Riverside picked up Lima Senior for 2019. On Arbiter, Riverside still has Harvey in week 3 for 2020, even though they have publicly said it's a two year hiatus. In 2018, Lima Senior only had 9 games count for OHSAAA. So, would they travel both years just to fill out a 10-game schedule? We will have to wait for some confirmation.
In terms of home/road split, maybe Lima would travel both years, because they have 6 home games this year.

But man, I'd hope not for the good of their kids. They're already in a league where the closest road trip is 35 minutes to Findlay, the rest are all up in the Toledo area. Add in 45 miles to Piqua....that's would be an insane fuel bill.

This is why them playing LCC makes complete sense. Literally no travel involved even when they're the "visting" team, since they share the stadium.
Old 05-15-19, 05:52 PM
Freshman

dhsdog06 is on a distinguished road
Nevermind. According to Arbiter, in 2020 Lima is playing Dayton Meadowdale at home in week 3. Also apparently LCC is only a 1 year thing, because they have Toledo Bowsher at home.
Old 05-15-19, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
I am going to guess that Riverside/Lima Senior for this year was a case of both teams needed a game late in the process, so they decided to play.

I would think Riverside is able to find a closer, and more appropriate opponent for week three in 2020 given the timing.

I hope the writer of the article was saying that Riverside is a functional DII program that in some years is a playoff team, because that would be accurate. On the other hand, Harvey is terrible - their only win was over a terrible Hawken team and the only other game they were competitive in was against Berkshire. The gap between the two teams has widened to the point where the game was judged to be an exercies in futility.