Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Swimming & Diving and Water Polo

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-24-09, 01:57 AM
All World

xbomberd08
The Road To State #2

I'm not too sure why that thread was closed (???)

...but we'll continue discussions about state here.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 09:06 AM
Varsity

Charlie Conway 96 is on a distinguished road
Logan Hammerstein leading his relay to state!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-09, 10:43 AM
Freshman

caswim is on a distinguished road
I posted this under another thread, but more appropriate here...

Just an observation....if Moeller had a near perfect State meet with huge drops getting

Individual places
5 x 1st
1 x 2nd
2 x 3rd
1 x 4th
1 x 5th
Relays
2 x 1st
1 x 9th

They would still only score 276 points...less than St. X's current projected points...also considering every single one of Moeller's Individual swims got slower from Districts to States in 2008....X doesn't move down in points
Old 02-24-09, 11:09 AM
Varsity

Amazin' is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Conway 96 View Post
Logan Hammerstein leading his relay to state!!!!!!!!!
ha. if he is still on his relays after his not so stellar swims at districts....
Old 02-24-09, 01:37 PM
All World

xbomberd08
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswim View Post
I posted this under another thread, but more appropriate here...

Just an observation....if Moeller had a near perfect State meet with huge drops getting

Individual places
5 x 1st
1 x 2nd
2 x 3rd
1 x 4th
1 x 5th
Relays
2 x 1st
1 x 9th

They would still only score 276 points...less than St. X's current projected points...also considering every single one of Moeller's Individual swims got slower from Districts to States in 2008....X doesn't move down in points
And Moeller's 2 first place relays are the one's everyone will be out to get, so they'll have to swim fast to protect them.
Old 02-24-09, 09:46 PM
Varsity

Paine is on a distinguished road
So Moeller seems to be on the outside looking in for the state title. It will be interesting to see how they influence the rest of the meet. They may not win, but they certainly can take away points from the heavy contenders.
Old 02-24-09, 10:46 PM
All District

stxbomber999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
So Moeller seems to be on the outside looking in for the state title. It will be interesting to see how they influence the rest of the meet. They may not win, but they certainly can take away points from the heavy contenders.
The problem with Moeller taking points away from people is exactly what caswim brought up, Moeller's guys are already seeded extremely high, and have very little room to improve. The only event they can really take points away from X is the 200, but X will still score alot of points in it because they have 3 guys. Also in St. C best 2 events, fly and back, Moeller only has one flyer who is seeded 15, so they can't do much to them there, only in the 200 IM and Breast can moe hurts SC, and that isnt a whole lot of points.
Old 02-24-09, 10:59 PM
Varsity

I think Moeller yields the most influence in its relay performances. Will they live up to their billing? It is sports, so stuff happens, and who knows who could sneak in and out touch Moeller. Or perhaps, Moeller chokes and falls to third in the 400 free relay. These possibilities are endless. If Moeller does fall though, the team that takes over their place gains significant points.
Old 02-25-09, 01:03 PM
Freshman

caswim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Moeller yields the most influence in its relay performances. Will they live up to their billing? It is sports, so stuff happens, and who knows who could sneak in and out touch Moeller. Or perhaps, Moeller chokes and falls to third in the 400 free relay. These possibilities are endless. If Moeller does fall though, the team that takes over their place gains significant points.
let's just hope they all make it to the 400 free relay this year
Old 02-25-09, 03:56 PM
All World

xbomberd08
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswim View Post
let's just hope they all make it to the 400 free relay this year
Let's not get into anything, we don't want a thread closed again.

At this point, it looks like St. Charles is the definate favorite for the 200 medley relay, and I doubt anyone will catch them. Moeller is the definate favorite in both the 200 free relay and the 400 free relay. I think they may be a little vulnerable in the 400 free relay as they have 2 seconds on UA but I believe that there are a few teams in the top 4 that could pose a good threat. In the 200 free relay, it's a toss up between the top 4 teams, and whoever wants it most and performs best at finals will win.
Old 02-27-09, 03:34 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Team standings?

Probable Team Champions:
D1 Boys St.Xavier
D1 Girls Upper Arlington?
D2 Boys ?
D2 Girls Hawken
Old 02-27-09, 06:44 PM
All World

xbomberd08
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Team standings?

Probable Team Champions:
D1 Boys St.Xavier
D1 Girls Upper Arlington?
D2 Boys ?
D2 Girls Hawken
DI Girls will be UA
DII Boys will be University
Old 03-01-09, 04:02 PM
All Region

thedutchman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Spot77 View Post
You can not say it is going to be a meet between St. X and SC...You have to throw moeller in there. I dont know if you saw their district times but those were times of non tapered people...You can only expect those times to go down. Also the i dont think anyone will be able to stop moeller in the 2 free and 4 free relay. They can only improve in them.
So turns out that to the extent that there was a competition for first it was between X an SC. X dominated the meet followed by SC. No question that they are the top 2 teams in the state. What happen to Moeller? Did they under perform or under estimate X & SC.

X and SC tapered better than anyone else did. I suspect that this is in part because only X and SC never rested during the regular season. It also may be because Jim Brower and Kyle Goodrich head the 2 best coaching staffs in Ohio boys high school swimming.
Old 03-01-09, 05:58 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutchman View Post
So turns out that to the extent that there was a competition for first it was between X an SC. X dominated the meet followed by SC. No question that they are the top 2 teams in the state. What happen to Moeller? Did they under perform or under estimate X & SC.

X and SC tapered better than anyone else did. I suspect that this is in part because only X and SC never rested during the regular season. It also may be because Jim Brower and Kyle Goodrich head the 2 best coaching staffs in Ohio boys high school swimming.
No doubt the dynasty starts with the coaching staffs of both teams.
But a flaw in the Moeller line up was that they didn't get as many people advancing to State as they had hoped. (having only 7 guys kinda ruins all dreams of a title run)
Old 03-01-09, 09:19 PM
All District

stxbomber999
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxbomber999
Dont count out X on those relays. I agree Moeller is the favorite, but to declare them the state champions already isnt giving X enough credit. Will Lawley is capable of being just as fast, or faster than Sanders in both relays. And X has just as much to back him up as moeller does. I just believe that next week when X has the same suits as moeller the races will be alot closer. And what do you mean by going for records? Unless youre talking about school records, which im asuming they already broke at districts, they wont be close to anyother records. They're good, but not good enough to challenge the state records.

Originally Postd by xswimmer100
really? lawley just as capable as sanders on the relays? last time i checked, lawley has never broken 46 on an individual 100 free swim, how does that translate into him being FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!! than sanders on the relays. sanders has had a fanstastic season that has shown no signs of slowing down, regardless of him being fully tapered at districts or not. tapers can be thrown out the window, they are just creations to more mentally than physically prepare swimmers for meets. to completely diss sanders over unproven statements of lawley is quite egregious and disrespectful on your behalf. you should be ashamed of yourself.
I'm gonna go ahead and mark that one as a win for me.

44.7 and 20.1, congrats to Lawley and the rest of the X free relays, they just wanted more than anyone else in the state.

Also congrats to Coach Brower and the rest of the team for winning state title number 30.
Old 03-01-09, 09:48 PM
Freshman

fast4you is on a distinguished road
I was very impressed with X's 200 free relay. What was the moeller coach doing not having schwab on the 400 free relay. He pretty much changed all the relays from districts. I think you said it all when you say that X wanted it more. Congrats X boys.
Old 03-01-09, 09:54 PM
Freshman

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4you View Post
I was very impressed with X's 200 free relay. What was the moeller coach doing not having schwab on the 400 free relay. He pretty much changed all the relays from districts. I think you said it all when you say that X wanted it more. Congrats X boys.

Rumor has it Moeller was unaware that if he swam 200 medley and 200 fr in prelims, he couldnt swim 200 and 400 free in finals.
Old 03-01-09, 10:06 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxbomber999 View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and mark that one as a win for me.

44.7 and 20.1, congrats to Lawley and the rest of the X free relays, they just wanted more than anyone else in the state.

Also congrats to Coach Brower and the rest of the team for winning state title number 30.
Yeah, that was definetly a win for you. I was pretty much completely wrong about Moeller's relays. I was counting on better performances from Krone, and Kevin Schwab on the 400 free relay. They certainly did not run train as it appeared they would all season, but, thats why the championships are special. St. X earned those relay wins for sure.

Fast4you, I heard that the Moeller coaches saw that if they put schwab on the 200 medley relay, it jumped from 9th to 4th and they decided to put koenig on the 400 free in hopes of getting more points overall. I'm not sure on the numbers and whether this move paid off, but I though Koenig swam pretty well on the 400 free relay.
Old 03-01-09, 10:45 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, that was definetly a win for you. I was pretty much completely wrong about Moeller's relays. I was counting on better performances from Krone, and Kevin Schwab on the 400 free relay. They certainly did not run train as it appeared they would all season, but, thats why the championships are special. St. X earned those relay wins for sure.

Fast4you, I heard that the Moeller coaches saw that if they put schwab on the 200 medley relay, it jumped from 9th to 4th and they decided to put koenig on the 400 free in hopes of getting more points overall. I'm not sure on the numbers and whether this move paid off, but I though Koenig swam pretty well on the 400 free relay.
if schwab had not been on that med. relay, then it would not have made the final heat. it made a huge difference. Give props to him also, because it takes a real person to do what is best for the team, ahead of what is for himself.
Old 03-01-09, 11:20 PM
All World

xbomberd08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Rumor has it Moeller was unaware that if he swam 200 medley and 200 fr in prelims, he couldnt swim 200 and 400 free in finals.
I didn't know that either. I guess it stops a team from stacking one relay so it goes fast at prelims and then abandoning it for another relay at finals?
Old 03-02-09, 10:18 AM
Freshman

ElksSWIM2010.2 is on a distinguished road
centerville upset

coming into this year centerville felt pretty good about how they thought they would do at state. boy were they wrong. sure they placed higher at state then they have in a while but the swimmers for the city of centerville were sure they could win state...a great miscalculation

and now they are even talking of placing higher next year...better check the math boys
Old 03-02-09, 11:45 AM
All Region

ImPartial is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I thought the obvious switch Moeller would make from district to state would have been to put Krone in the medley. Look at the difference in the 50 splits between Krone and Schwab, from 0.10 to 0.50 seconds difference. With Krone on the medley, they qualify from prelims and actually place the same in finals since they were 0.65 seconds ahead of UA.

Instead, they took a 100 free state qualifier off the 400 free and replaced him with someone that was one second slower in the 100 at district: Schwab/Koenig 46.73/48.04. The end result was their 400 relay added time at state and went from first seed to third finisher.
Old 03-02-09, 05:46 PM
All Region

thedutchman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElksSWIM2010.2 View Post
coming into this year centerville felt pretty good about how they thought they would do at state. boy were they wrong. sure they placed higher at state then they have in a while but the swimmers for the city of centerville were sure they could win state...a great miscalculation

and now they are even talking of placing higher next year...better check the math boys
For whatever reason Centerville didn't hold or improve on their district times. Anyone who holds their district time will move up at state. Centerville will be very good next year. But can they beat X or SC? Regardless, as of now looking at what is coming back X, SC, and Centerville look the strongest.
Old 03-02-09, 06:57 PM
All District

ElksSWIM2010 is on a distinguished road
thats not completely true, travis schieman went from a 51.6 to a 50.03 and 1:00.4 to a 58.9

also centervilles medley and 2free relay dropped significant amounts of time

considering the 2free relay got 5th with no seniors on it
Old 03-02-09, 07:45 PM
Varsity

since Moeller ran train on Centerville at state... Do they get the district trophy now?? (remembering the district diving stuff)

hah. just a thought...
Old 03-02-09, 08:21 PM
Freshman

BackAgain122 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin' View Post
since Moeller ran train on Centerville at state... Do they get the district trophy now?? (remembering the district diving stuff)

hah. just a thought...
haha that was so unclassy of the centreville coach to even accept a trophy that they didn't even earn! You know if Moeller knew that they made a mistake they would of have given up the trophy faster then you can blink. Oh well it is over with and at least Moeller whooped them at state and that is all that matters.
Old 03-02-09, 09:44 PM
All District

ElksSWIM2010 is on a distinguished road
wow thanks alot for treating head coach eric like crap...

perhaps next year kevin and christian will have a better shot at getting the trophy
Old 03-02-09, 10:02 PM
All World

xbomberd08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackAgain122 View Post
haha that was so unclassy of the centreville coach to even accept a trophy that they didn't even earn! You know if Moeller knew that they made a mistake they would of have given up the trophy faster then you can blink. Oh well it is over with and at least Moeller whooped them at state and that is all that matters.
I think they earned it. There's nothing they did to cheat, it was an error by the officials at the dive meet. That said, the difference between the scores at District and State for the two teams just show that depending on how a meet is scored, a team's worth will vary. The District meet rewards team's with more depth because there are less teams competing. The State meet on the other hand rewards team's more for having a few top swimmers compared to the District meet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: