Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-31-18, 03:08 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Offensively - TE would be a good spot for him.
Could play DE or LB on defense.
Then put him on D. Elder has way too many big WRs/TEs already.
Old 07-31-18, 08:21 PM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
I am not an Elder, LaSalle, St.X, or Moeller fan. FWIW I like them all. I don't have a favorite because my son hasn't picked what school he is going to attend and my nephews are going to two of the four right now. But I have seen a lot of high school and 8th grade football the last couple years because of my nephews and son play football at these levels. Hambleton is the best QB I have seen at this level in a long time. I think if you asked the Visitation Varsity Head Coach he would tell you the same thing. Some things are just too obvious to ignore.
Old 07-31-18, 08:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by College#19 View Post
I am not an Elder, LaSalle, St.X, or Moeller fan. FWIW I like them all. I don't have a favorite because my son hasn't picked what school he is going to attend and my nephews are going to two of the four right now. But I have seen a lot of high school and 8th grade football the last couple years because of my nephews and son play football at these levels. Hambleton is the best QB I have seen at this level in a long time. I think if you asked the Visitation Varsity Head Coach he would tell you the same thing. Some things are just too obvious to ignore.
Regardless, itís fair to say youíre an unbiased observer.
Old 07-31-18, 09:04 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Is the Hambleton kid the son of Ross?

How does this class look overall? Pretty strong?
Old 07-31-18, 09:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Is the Hambleton kid the son of Ross?

How does this class look overall? Pretty strong?
Class is supposed to be strong even w/o a key Visi player and the Lawrence kid being hurt. All of this talk about Ramsey forcing his son in as QB is nonsense
Old 07-31-18, 09:15 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Have you seen the other two kids in question play? They're pretty damn good too. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but not nearly the notoriety because they played at smaller schools.

Arm strength - Hambelton
Accuracy - probably Keller
Speed/Running Ability - probably Ramsey
Decision Making - no clue
QB IQ - no clue

Once you go beyond the obvious physical attributes (height and weight), it's probably closer than you realize and will likely be a very tough decision.
Old 07-31-18, 09:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Have you seen the other two kids in question play? They're pretty damn good too. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but not nearly the notoriety because they played at smaller schools.

Arm strength - Hambelton
Accuracy - probably Keller
Speed/Running Ability - probably Ramsey
Decision Making - no clue
QB IQ - no clue

Once you go beyond the obvious physical attributes (height and weight), it's probably closer than you realize and will likely be a very tough decision.
Have you? You seem to have a grudge against Visi kids your son played with. The consensus is Hambleton is the better of the three. I’ve heard Ramsey is high on Hambleton, he knows what he has COULD be a very special player. You keep b1tchin about proclaiming 7th and 8th graders as studs, everyone knows this is based on potential, the same as College Recruiting. Nothing is guaranteed, but you still have some expectations.
Old 07-31-18, 09:52 PM
All American

I've seen both Hambelton and Keller. From what I saw of Keller, he's every bit as good of a passer, but in different ways. He likely can't throw the ball as far, but is more accurate, especially on the multiple types of timing routes necessary in the Elder offense. Hambelton is good at this as well, but I don't think he's better in this regard. Hambelton was an obviously stronger and more physical runner, but is he faster than Keller? If he is, it's not super obvious.

I've never seen Ramsey play in person. From what I've heard from various coaches is that his passing game needs work, mostly because his team didn't throw that much, but he's probably the fastest of the three, and probably the better overall runner of the three.

So you take the prototype of the Elder QB...smart, accurate, and the ability to run with some power and speed. He's probably not the best pure passer, (based on what's needed in Elder's offense) and he's arguably not the best runner. But he probably is the best combination of passing and running (hambelton). He fits the mold, but the other 2 have very good attributes as well.

But none of that means he will be by the time one of these 3 is ready to take over the reigns as Varsity QB (likely in 2 years)...so why not let all 3 compete for the job as freshman? I have nothing for or against any kid or school...just making an objective observation. I have no issue with him being the QB this year or forever, but I can see how it's also not a slam dunk decision too.
Old 08-01-18, 07:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
I've seen both Hambelton and Keller. From what I saw of Keller, he's every bit as good of a passer, but in different ways. He likely can't throw the ball as far, but is more accurate, especially on the multiple types of timing routes necessary in the Elder offense. Hambelton is good at this as well, but I don't think he's better in this regard. Hambelton was an obviously stronger and more physical runner, but is he faster than Keller? If he is, it's not super obvious.

I've never seen Ramsey play in person. From what I've heard from various coaches is that his passing game needs work, mostly because his team didn't throw that much, but he's probably the fastest of the three, and probably the better overall runner of the three.

So you take the prototype of the Elder QB...smart, accurate, and the ability to run with some power and speed. He's probably not the best pure passer, (based on what's needed in Elder's offense) and he's arguably not the best runner. But he probably is the best combination of passing and running (hambelton). He fits the mold, but the other 2 have very good attributes as well.

But none of that means he will be by the time one of these 3 is ready to take over the reigns as Varsity QB (likely in 2 years)...so why not let all 3 compete for the job as freshman? I have nothing for or against any kid or school...just making an objective observation. I have no issue with him being the QB this year or forever, but I can see how it's also not a slam dunk decision too.
Why waste reps? Ramsey should be starting somewhere other than QB. There’s a good chance he COULD be playing Varsity as a Soph. The LB core in the Jr and Soph class isn’t anything special after Tucker, they really could use his speed.
Old 08-01-18, 08:29 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why waste reps?
Giving 3 kids that all have the skill to play the position the opportunity to compete for the position is not wasting reps. It's healthy competition. They're all still very young.

The ones that don't win the role can still help the team in other ways. That's a good thing if the coaches and parents can keep them bought into the team concept.
Old 08-01-18, 09:15 AM
All Region

Quote:
Giving 3 kids that all have the skill to play the position the opportunity to compete for the position is not wasting reps. It's healthy competition. They're all still very young.

The ones that don't win the role can still help the team in other ways. That's a good thing if the coaches and parents can keep them bought into the team concept.
They canít help on the bench. These are 3 of the best players from the GCYL, all of them need to be on the field contributing.
Old 08-01-18, 10:07 AM
All American

Who has said any of them would be sitting the bench?
Old 08-01-18, 10:46 AM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
I feel like I have no bias in this discussion. The best two players in the GCYL last season were Hambleton (QB/S for Visitation) and Vrsansky (RB/LB for Susanna going to StX). Although Vrsansky might end up playing Lacrosse or Hockey because of his size.

I have seen all 3 of the Elder kids multiple times. In fact I would share Ramsey ended up playing RB some for his team last season because he is a very good athlete, but I still don't think he is as athletic as Hambleton. I am not going to mention specific names but know one of the power house high school Head Coaches thinks Hambleton would of started for his JV team this season and been dressing for Varsity.
Old 08-01-18, 11:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
I feel like I have no bias in this discussion. The best two players in the GCYL last season were Hambleton (QB/S for Visitation) and Vrsansky (RB/LB for Susanna going to StX). Although Vrsansky might end up playing Lacrosse or Hockey because of his size.

I have seen all 3 of the Elder kids multiple times. In fact I would share Ramsey ended up playing RB some for his team last season because he is a very good athlete, but I still don't think he is as athletic as Hambleton. I am not going to mention specific names but know one of the power house high school Head Coaches thinks Hambleton would of started for his JV team this season and been dressing for Varsity.
Donít believe the BS that was started on here. Iíve heard all along Ramsey was stoked about Hambleton. All of this talk about a 3 way QB competition is non sense. Hambleton is the QB. One unsubstantiated rumor on here doesnít change that.
Old 08-01-18, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Pboy's going to lose his mind when all 3 QBs play in the first game of the year.
Old 08-01-18, 11:57 AM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Offensively - TE would be a good spot for him.
Could play DE or LB on defense.
It sucks he is losing a year but he almost reminds me of a Bradley Glathaar build.
Old 08-01-18, 11:59 AM
All Region

Quote:
Pboy's going to lose his mind when all 3 QBs play in the first game of the year.
It would be pretty damn stupid. Ramsey is not his brother, but I also do not believe his dad would put him above the overall success of the team, thereís no way. The fan base would revolt.
Old 08-01-18, 12:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
It sucks he is losing a year but he almost reminds me of a Bradley Glathaar build.
They really could use him at DE. Itís a very weak position in the Jr and Soph class.
Old 08-01-18, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
Build-wise I would agree, but he looks like he's taller than Bradley was. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. I was thinking LB if he plays defense in high school.
Old 08-01-18, 12:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Build-wise I would agree, but he looks like he's taller than Bradley was. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. I was thinking LB if he plays defense in high school.
Yeah, posters are going to skim that and think heís calling the kid the next Glatthaar. Heís not.

Iím not sure heíll be able to adjust to the speed of Varsity after missing a Yr, but heíll be a damn good player whereever they put him.
Old 08-01-18, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It would be pretty damn stupid. Ramsey is not his brother, but I also do not believe his dad would put him above the overall success of the team, there’s no way. The fan base would revolt.
Better prepare yourself mentally then, because that's the most likely scenario. A similar situation with Josh Moore's class - you had Lind who was the clear-cut favorite, Moore and Kenning. They rotated those three QBs each 1 Qtr per game. And good thing they did as Lind was injured as a sophomore and ended up as a CB down the line and Moore stepped in as the QB.
Old 08-01-18, 03:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
Better prepare yourself mentally then, because that's the most likely scenario. A similar situation with Josh Moore's class - you had Lind who was the clear-cut favorite, Moore and Kenning. They rotated those three QBs each 1 Qtr per game. And good thing they did as Lind was injured as a sophomore and ended up as a CB down the line and Moore stepped in as the QB.
Except Hambleton is much further ahead than any of those 3.
Old 08-10-18, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

Just noticed that the Frosh have a full 10-game slate, with one B game against St X. The B game with Moeller will be run as a 5th Qtr instead of a full game. Also a 9-game schedule for the JV. Nice job Coach Espy for getting fuller schedules for these guys.
http://www.ehsports.com/team/schedul...rsity/football
http://www.ehsports.com/team/schedul...shman/football
Old 08-13-18, 09:22 AM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Any word on how the freshman looked in their scrimmage?
Old 08-14-18, 10:08 AM
All American

I've never been to a freshman game and don't plan on starting. Frankly, I only go to about 1 or 2 varsity games. I got stuff to do.

Last edited by EHS 2001; 08-14-18 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Clean up.
Old 08-14-18, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I've never been to a freshman game and don't plan on starting. Frankly, I only go to about 1 or 2 varsity games. I got stuff to do. Take a selfy, I'm really interested to know what you look like.
For someone who only goes to 1-2 varsity games a year, you sure have a lot of opinions on the subject. And for someone who has "stuff to do", you spend quite a lot of time on here.
Old 08-14-18, 10:43 AM
All American

When do I ever post about specific players, their strengths, weaknesses, and who I think should be in certain positions? Hardly ever for football. It's because I don't have the slightest clue about who should play and who shouldn't. Because, besides a few kids with family and friend connections, I don't have the slightest clue who these kids are except what I hear from other people. My sample size of seeing most of these kids in action is small. When I see them I give an opinion if it fits the topic. I've always admitted that. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. It's easy to make a prediction because they've become so predictable. That's my whole point.

I will admit that I've had strong opinions on how the administration runs athletics, with catering to certain legacy families and kids getting legs up because of those connections. But it's rarely about any specific kid (unless everyone begs me to give an example and then burns me at the stake for calling out a kid, which happened once). I base my opinion on my experience when I went there, what I continue to see when I go to games (not much has changed in 15 years), and what I hear from a peer group that knows alot of these kids.

I will also admit that I probably spend too much time here. But it does make the work day go a little faster. My free time isn't Elder Elder Elder. It's just annoying seeing the same trends year over year with limited success. Change it up a bit and see what happens.

Last edited by trey2k; 08-14-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 08:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
When do I ever post about specific players, their strengths, weaknesses, and who I think should be in certain positions? Hardly ever for football. It's because I don't have the slightest clue about who should play and who shouldn't. Because, besides a few kids with family and friend connections, I don't have the slightest clue who these kids are except what I hear from other people. My sample size of seeing most of these kids in action is small. When I see them I give an opinion if it fits the topic. I've always admitted that. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. It's easy to make a prediction because they've become so predictable. That's my whole point.

I will admit that I've had strong opinions on how the administration runs athletics, with catering to certain legacy families and kids getting legs up because of those connections. But it's rarely about any specific kid (unless everyone begs me to give an example and then burns me at the stake for calling out a kid, which happened once). I base my opinion on my experience when I went there, what I continue to see when I go to games (not much has changed in 15 years), and what I hear from a peer group that knows alot of these kids.

I will also admit that I probably spend too much time here. But it does make the work day go a little faster. My free time isn't Elder Elder Elder. It's just annoying seeing the same trends year over year with limited success. Change it up a bit and see what happens.
You post so much bs but only go to a handful of games? You just discredited all of your b1tching from the past several years. No surprise, I knew you were stealing my takes all along.
Old 08-15-18, 10:51 AM
All American

So I'm stealing all of your takes yet post so much BS I should be discredited.

Ringing endorsement for yourself pboy.
Old 08-15-18, 10:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
So I'm stealing all of your takes yet post so much BS I should be discredited.

Ringing endorsement for yourself pboy.
Itís bs when you donít know what youíre talking about. You talk in broad strokes w/out being able to support your argument.