Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-30-18, 02:11 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
No chance any of these three dress for Varsity. If there's an injury at the JV level, I could maybe see one playing JV but that's not really the Elder way. Ramsey's son Peyton didn't play any JV as a Frosh and he played 3-years at QB.
Agreed again...this seems to be the logical play.

Peyton, as good as he was, struggled some as a sophomore, and I don't see any of these 3 better than him. If they are, that's really good for Elder.

Last edited by trey2k; 07-30-18 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 02:53 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No chance any of these three dress for Varsity. If there's an injury at the JV level, I could maybe see one playing JV but that's not really the Elder way. Ramsey's son Peyton didn't play any JV as a Frosh and he played 3-years at QB.
Howís the Elder way worked out the last decade? Move one of them up to JV, neither Stigler or Miller will finish their career as QBs. Screw all of the hurt feelings, any sorry azz parent that has a problem with a Frosh playing JV can go to OH. These selfish scum bag parents make me sick.
Old 07-30-18, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it has anything to do with hurt feelings, moreso for the depth of the program. There are many more dynamics to a team than just the starters. To have a great team you have to have depth. Your 1s can be replaced by your 2s without a drop off. Good teams have that, average teams don't.
Old 07-30-18, 03:53 PM
Junior Varsity

Mad Dogg is on a distinguished road
Why are you guys saying someone is a major d1 prospect and they haven’t even had their first high school practice yet? Stupid.
Old 07-30-18, 04:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dogg View Post
Why are you guys saying someone is a major d1 prospect and they havenít even had their first high school practice yet? Stupid.
The idea is that they could be D1. Although, not unheard of for kids to get offers going into HS
Old 07-30-18, 04:18 PM
All Region

Fair&Balanced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Howís the Elder way worked out the last decade? Move one of them up to JV, neither Stigler or Miller will finish their career as QBs. Screw all of the hurt feelings, any sorry azz parent that has a problem with a Frosh playing JV can go to OH. These selfish scum bag parents make me sick.
As someone eluded to earlier, you have no idea how difficult the QB position is to learn in freshmen football whether the playbook is reduced or not. It's not the GCYL defenses, or Visi or Antoninus offenses. Learning to read defenses that are more athletic than they have ever seen before, and going through progressions. Peyton Ramsey played freshmen football the entire year, as did all of the other great Elder QBs. It did not hurt their development a bit. More importantly, they are also learning the academic expectations during the same season. That's a lot to put on their plates. But, since you don't have kids and wasn't a QB, you wouldn't know.
Old 07-30-18, 04:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
As someone eluded to earlier, you have no idea how difficult the QB position is to learn in freshmen football whether the playbook is reduced or not. It's not the GCYL defenses, or Visi or Antoninus offenses. Learning to read defenses that are more athletic than they have ever seen before, and going through progressions. Peyton Ramsey played freshmen football the entire year, as did all of the other great Elder QBs. It did not hurt their development a bit. More importantly, they are also learning the academic expectations during the same season. That's a lot to put on their plates. But, since you don't have kids and wasn't a QB, you wouldn't know.
The JV playbook doesn’t strike me as more advanced than the Frosh playbook. Hell, one of the starting OLB this season was JV QB 2 yrs ago out of necessity, and still led them to a GCL Title.

If every other GCL school can do it, so can Elder.
Old 07-30-18, 04:31 PM
All Region

You obviously missed the point. You shouldn't make that assumption especially if you don't know.
Old 07-30-18, 04:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
You obviously missed the point. You shouldn't make that assumption especially if you don't know.
Other schools can do this, why not Elder?
Old 07-30-18, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by College#19 View Post
Hambleton is a major D1 College prospect at QB. I think Ramsey is smart enough to understand this but he has to have some type of open QB challenge this early in the process. My bet is towards the middle or end of the season Hambleton will be the starting JV QB and maybe even dressing for Varsity.

I think he is one of the best QB prospects we have seen in Cincinnati in a long time. He has great speed, a strong arm, physically a bigger kid, and can make all of the plays you want to see from a QB. If Ramsey messes this up then he should be fired. It isn't too often you get a QB like this in your program.
Old 07-30-18, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Other schools can do this, why not Elder?
How is it helping the other schools? Which of their QBs were brought up to JV as a freshman and how did it help/hurt their development? I don't think it's as common as you're making it out to be.
Old 07-30-18, 09:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
How is it helping the other schools? Which of their QBs were brought up to JV as a freshman and how did it help/hurt their development? I don't think it's as common as you're making it out to be.
Clifford, McBride, and Hudepohl are recent examples.
Old 07-30-18, 10:03 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
No surprise, VOR doesnít care about accountability. Yeah, just keep F***iní up and winning 6 games a year, thatís great football, we should all be so proud of that slightly above avg achievement.
Old 07-31-18, 05:59 AM
All Region

Hudepohl started for their reserves last year as a sophomore and was a third string back up last year on varsity. Matthew Luebbe had the same role for Elder-started for reserves and third string for varsity. Btw, Elder had four interceptions during the X reserve game last year off of Hudepohl. McBride is no longer playing football and suffered injuries both sophomore and junior years. Clifford didn't play as a sophomore on varsity. The younger Clifford is yet to be seen. So, how did it help them in their development?
Old 07-31-18, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Clifford, McBride, and Hudepohl are recent examples.
No surprise, you only answered half the question. McBride is no longer playing football. Clifford lost his starting job as a senior and Hudepohl hasn't taken a varsity snap.
Old 07-31-18, 09:19 AM
All Region

Quote:
No surprise, you only answered half the question. McBride is no longer playing football. Clifford lost his starting job as a senior and Hudepohl hasn't taken a varsity snap.
Injuries seem to be a common thread, but Hambleton is already big enough physically, to take hits at the JV Level.
Old 07-31-18, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Injuries seem to be a common thread, but Hambleton is already big enough physically, to take hits at the JV Level.
Why risk it? If any of the three QBs are good enough, they'll be in the mix as sophomores.
Old 07-31-18, 10:40 AM
All Region

Quote:
Why risk it? If any of the three QBs are good enough, they'll be in the mix as sophomores.
Luebbe is going to win the job. Maybe they work one in similar to what they did w/ Bittner 2 yrs ago.
Old 07-31-18, 11:25 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
I would be shocked if Ramseys son doesn't end up being the QB and I wouldn't be shocked if he started as a sophomore on varsity. I'm not saying I agree with that but anybody that knows Doug knows he wants his kid to be the QB. I also would definitely move one of these kids up to JV before the season starts or very early on during the season. The next QB is not coming from the sophomore class. If Hambleton isn't the QB I would seriously consider transferring ASAP. From my understanding the kid loves the position and you only get one chance at this. I'm sure he wont be happy with part time playing. He is too good not to play QB somewhere. It will be interesting how this plays out. I guess its a good problem to have. The only weakness I see in this class right now is Oline and possibly tailback
Old 07-31-18, 12:04 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
I would be shocked if Ramseys son doesn't end up being the QB and I wouldn't be shocked if he started as a sophomore on varsity. I'm not saying I agree with that but anybody that knows Doug knows he wants his kid to be the QB. I also would definitely move one of these kids up to JV before the season starts or very early on during the season. The next QB is not coming from the sophomore class. If Hambleton isn't the QB I would seriously consider transferring ASAP. From my understanding the kid loves the position and you only get one chance at this. I'm sure he wont be happy with part time playing. He is too good not to play QB somewhere. It will be interesting how this plays out. I guess its a good problem to have. The only weakness I see in this class right now is Oline and possibly tailback
Where do you keep hearing about Ramsey trying to shoehorn his kid into being the starting QB? He seemed miserable during Peyton’s first few seasons. Remember how he almost choked out an X Asst during a time out? And I think he got flagged for Unsportsmanlike conduct/sideline warning 3 games in a row. He’s not stupid, he knows crap would hit the fan if it looks like nepotism. Also, I’ve heard Ramsey loves Hambleton, plus he’s good friends with his youngest son.

And I’ll ask again, are there any non feeders coming in that would make an impact? The Lawrence kid could play TB, but he’s probably better on D.
Old 07-31-18, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Let's not forget that Peyton only got the starting job as a sophomore because Peters got hurt.
Old 07-31-18, 12:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Let's not forget that Peyton only got the starting job as a sophomore because Peters got hurt.
Correct. He rotated until Week 3 or 4. I donít understand why VOR thinks Ramsey is going to force his son into the starting QB role. Thereís no way in hell that will fly among the fans. Even the fans who hardly pay attention would be able to call him out. This is very likely his last few seasons as HC, he wants another Title, he wonít sacrifice that to just do his son can be the starting QB on a string of mediocre teams.
Old 07-31-18, 01:00 PM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
Some things are a bit of common sense. Hambleton is first and foremost one of the best athletes on Elder's Entire Roster. An argument could be made he among the best freshmen football players in the City. This isn't going to change in the next couple years. If he were 5'10" then maybe things could change, but the kid is 6'2" or taller. Just from an athletic and arm strength standpoint, he will be getting a lot of major attention. The first time he shows up at Camps he will be tagged. Again, some things are common sense.
Old 07-31-18, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
I will be very surprised if Hambleton isn't the starting QB in this class and a multi year varsity starter at the position. He's as talented a QB as I can remember seeing in the GCYL and he already has all the physical traits to excel in high school.

Last edited by Don Flamenco; 07-31-18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
The Lawrence kid could play TB, but he’s probably better on D.
ADS can give better input on this, but from what I saw of him last year at practice he doesn't have the build of a typical high school running back. Looks more like a big WR type if he were to play offense in high school.
Old 07-31-18, 01:14 PM
All Region

I’m not the biggest Ramsey supporter, but I find it very hard to believe he’d put his son over the team. If he were so obsessed with him playing QB, he would’ve “red shirted” him a Yr and held him back in 8th grade.
Old 07-31-18, 01:57 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I’m not the biggest Ramsey supporter, but I find it very hard to believe he’d put his son over the team.
At this point, it's just speculation. Various people with completely different answers likely means none of them are right.

No point in getting all riled up about it until football games are played. Also, I doubt everyone has even seen every kid play, so their opinion about one kid without even seeing the other two is kind of dumb. Goes back to "grade school westside legend" phenomenon. Kids are crowned before their first play. Stop doing it. It's whole new ballgame out there. How athletic you think our westside kids are, there are plenty more than would make them look unathletic, I promise you that. They will be playing against some of those kids eventually.

Performance in grade school football literally means nothing as compared to the development of a kid from 15-18 years old, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Old 07-31-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
At this point, it's just speculation. Various people with completely different answers likely means none of them are right.
Except for the evidence of how Ramsey coached his two older sons. Tanner mostly split time at fullback and Peyton--though obviously a D1 prospect--didn't start at QB as a sophomore until the starter was hurt.

Quote:
No point in getting all riled up about it until football games are played. Also, I doubt everyone has even seen every kid play, so their opinion about one kid without even seeing the other two is kind of dumb. Goes back to "grade school westside legend" phenomenon. Kids are crowned before their first play. Stop doing it. It's whole new ballgame out there. How athletic you think our westside kids are, there are plenty more than would make them look unathletic, I promise you that. They will be playing against some of those kids eventually.

Performance in grade school football literally means nothing as compared to the development of a kid from 15-18 years old, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
I agree with this.
Old 07-31-18, 02:49 PM
All Region

Quote:

It’s funny, bc College #19 isn’t even an Elder fan... that should tell you something. And it’s highly doubtful Hambleton all of the sudden was passed in ability after less than a Yr.
Old 07-31-18, 03:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
ADS can give better input on this, but from what I saw of him last year at practice he doesn't have the build of a typical high school running back. Looks more like a big WR type if he were to play offense in high school.
Offensively - TE would be a good spot for him.
Could play DE or LB on defense.