Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-05-19, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Dake Delays Final X Showdown

World champ, Dake, requested a delayed wrestle off with Ringer, originally scheduled for this weekend. That leaves just three FS matches this weekend, altho all three will be great matches - Gwiz v Steveson, Yianni v Zain and Cox v Bo. Dake has wrestled very little over the past year, and in his request for the delay he indicated that he is recovering from surgery. Ringer would be a medal threat if Dake is unable to go, but as with Taylor, you want all your best guys if you want to compete for a team title w/ the Ruskies.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21990
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-19, 03:07 PM
Varsity

Abdullah is on a distinguished road
Not way it should work. Competition takes place on June 8th, champions must be ready on June 8th or forfeit. Will they push back the Olympics if Dake cries about injury? Think not.

This is why Russians own American men recently. Too much softness. Too much permission of weakness.

Alhamdulillah
Old 06-05-19, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

bdhof will become famous soon enough
This rule (USA rule) has been in place for quite a while. It only applies to returning world medalists. Team USA wants their best on the mat at worlds. It makes perfect sense. If I’m not mistaken Russia just picks their team - no Russian tournament to decide who’s best. If USA did this they would just pick Dake. It has nothing to do with Russia owning USA. They (USSR and Russia) have owned everyone in the world since 1959 winning about 90% of the team titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-19, 04:51 PM
Varsity

"The best" are ready to compete even if not at 100%

Alhamdulillah
Old 06-05-19, 04:59 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
Not way it should work. Competition takes place on June 8th, champions must be ready on June 8th or forfeit. Will they push back the Olympics if Dake cries about injury? Think not.

This is why Russians own American men recently. Too much softness. Too much permission of weakness.

Alhamdulillah
Russians also own recent doping scandals!
Old 06-05-19, 05:02 PM
Varsity

Makes me laugh. The response to pointing out failure is to make excuses. That is not mentality of winner. Explains so much.

Alhamdulillah
Old 06-05-19, 05:53 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
World champ, Dake, requested a delayed wrestle off with Ringer, originally scheduled for this weekend. That leaves just three FS matches this weekend, altho all three will be great matches - Gwiz v Steveson, Yianni v Zain and Cox v Bo. Dake has wrestled very little over the past year, and in his request for the delay he indicated that he is recovering from surgery. Ringer would be a medal threat if Dake is unable to go, but as with Taylor, you want all your best guys if you want to compete for a team title w/ the Ruskies.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21990
Luckily for the USA, Russia's #1 79kg wrestler is also injured. Gadzhimagomedov, who Dake beat at worlds last year and went on to went bronze, has been injured since Euros and won't wrestle 79kg for Russia. And since this weight is a non-Olympic weight, the impact of a backup is not as bad. Regardless, Dieringer will still contend for a gold medal and is a favorite to at least wrestle for a medal.
Old 06-05-19, 05:59 PM
All American

Yabbadabbadoolah,
Dake’s not too bad for a crybaby...

Kyle Dake is an American world champion freestyle wrestler and former folkstyle wrestler. As a folkstyle wrestler, Dake was only the third wrestler to win four NCAA Division I national titles and the first to do so in four different weight classes.[1]

Kyle Dake
Weight
141, 149, 157, 165
Born
February 25, 1991 (age 28)
Ithaca, New York
High school
Lansing HS
State championships
College
Cornell University
NCAA championships
4 in different weight classes
Medal record
Representing United States
Men's Freestyle Wrestling
World Championships
Gold medal – first place 2018 Budapest 79 kg
World Cup
Gold medal – first place 2018 Iowa City 79 kg

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 06-06-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 06:03 PM
Varsity

Dake is great athlete. That I did not make claim against. Accomplishments undeniable and my intention not to disrespect Dake. I've watched with pleasure his performance.

But must be said, this is not behavior of champion. Champion competes 100% or not when time to prove himself comes. USA wrestling can not sanction softness and excuse making if want to challenge other nations for dominance.

Also, how is it fair to opponent? In wrestling you train always to peak at right time. Now that time is no longer just days before match?

Alhamdulillah
Old 06-06-19, 05:15 AM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Luckily for the USA, Russia's #1 79kg wrestler is also injured. Gadzhimagomedov, who Dake beat at worlds last year and went on to went bronze, has been injured since Euros and won't wrestle 79kg for Russia. And since this weight is a non-Olympic weight, the impact of a backup is not as bad. Regardless, Dieringer will still contend for a gold medal and is a favorite to at least wrestle for a medal.
Is that a sign of the Russians showing Too much softness. Too much permission of weakness?
Old 06-06-19, 01:03 PM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
For some strange reason, I cannot help but to read a certain poster's comments in the voice of Ivan Drago.
Old 06-06-19, 01:23 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by craceman View Post
Is that a sign of the Russians showing Too much softness. Too much permission of weakness?
A international level wrestler who I won't name once said to me "the Russian practice room is tougher than any tournament." I tend to believe this. Iron sharpens iron as they say and results speak for themselves.
Old 06-06-19, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Look, everyone knows the Russians are the best wrestling country in the world. But didn't the U.S. actually win the Worlds, like, two years ago? It's not like we aren't competitive with them. Even with our sissy training techniques, including allowing guys to heal from surgery.

While I'd love to see a full slate of wrestle-offs this weekend, doesn't it help the U.S. to field it's best guys, including a returning WC, or perhaps a guy who can beat him when he is at his best, and not just going through the motions? I'm gonna go ahead and say "yes" to that one.

Innoshape - good one
Old 06-06-19, 08:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by innoshape View Post
For some strange reason, I cannot help but to read a certain poster's comments in the voice of Ivan Drago.
Old 06-07-19, 06:12 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Dake talks about his injury in a new interview on FLO. Something about surgery and crutches. He say's, "I'll be back."