Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-21-17, 06:52 PM
Varsity

coach_k is on a distinguished road
Porta Potty Etiquette

Because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday evening, I thought I would share with the yappi world my experience at the district meet today.

I coach in the Southeast District, and our meet is held on Rio Grande's campus. About 15 minutes prior to the start of my girls' race, I decided to use the porta-potty, which was no more than 50 meters from the starting line. My boys ran right after the girls, and I knew I wouldn't have the chance to go for a while. There were 5 or 6 porta-johns in a row, and there was one line that had formed leading to them. You all know the drill, as soon as one opens, the next person in line goes in to the open one. Anyway, there were a few people in front of me...not more than three or four. There were also some people who were waiting behind me...some of whom were runners.

Here is the issue...as I was waiting a woman (I don't think she was the coach) brought two runners up essentially expecting the line to allow her athletes to jump to the front of the line, since they were racing. By this time, I was the next person in line, and I would not allow them in front of me. She told me they had to race in 15 minutes. I then proceeded to tell her I needed to coach in 15 minutes...not the most professional retort I know, but the woman was being kind of pushy about it. She then made some comment about "me not being there for the kids".

So is it appropriate at meets for runners to just jump to the front of the line, because they have to race?

My perspective is this...a lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part. I give my runners a meet schedule on the bus prior to the meet. They know when they are to warm-up, put on their spikes, use the restroom, and then report to the starting line. This alleviates much confusion on race day and provides a sense of structure to the meet. The schedule I have created takes away the last minute rush to the restroom, because I know sometimes the lines can be long.

Should I have been more accommodating, or was I right to keep my place in line?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-17, 07:07 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
No. You got to go you got to go.
Old 10-21-17, 07:28 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_k View Post
So is it appropriate at meets for runners to just jump to the front of the line, because they have to race?
I don't have an answer to this. But, I must admit that I appreciate when meet management puts a restroom inside the roped-off competition area so athletes and officials don't have to worry about the lines formed by the moms and dads.

I know you said it wasn't the most professional retort, but my response would likely have been something similar, perhaps mentioning the athletes behind me in line who had a race in 15 minutes too.
Old 10-21-17, 07:30 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
I don't think it's a lack of planning on their part: I think it has more to do with nerves and the bowel movements that ensue. I probably would have let them through, but I can't necessarily blame you for not doing so. To each their own I guess.
Old 10-21-17, 08:03 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
5 or 6 port o johns is the problem. I bet Cedarville had 40. Host a meet....dont be cheap.
Old 10-21-17, 08:14 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday evening, I thought I would share with the yappi world my experience at the district meet today.

I coach in the Southeast District, and our meet is held on Rio Grande's campus. About 15 minutes prior to the start of my girls' race, I decided to use the porta-potty, which was no more than 50 meters from the starting line. My boys ran right after the girls, and I knew I wouldn't have the chance to go for a while. There were 5 or 6 porta-johns in a row, and there was one line that had formed leading to them. You all know the drill, as soon as one opens, the next person in line goes in to the open one. Anyway, there were a few people in front of me...not more than three or four. There were also some people who were waiting behind me...some of whom were runners.

Here is the issue...as I was waiting a woman (I don't think she was the coach) brought two runners up essentially expecting the line to allow her athletes to jump to the front of the line, since they were racing. By this time, I was the next person in line, and I would not allow them in front of me. She told me they had to race in 15 minutes. I then proceeded to tell her I needed to coach in 15 minutes...not the most professional retort I know, but the woman was being kind of pushy about it. She then made some comment about "me not being there for the kids".

My perspective is this...a lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part. I give my runners a meet schedule on the bus prior to the meet. They know when they are to warm-up, put on their spikes, use the restroom, and then report to the starting line. This alleviates much confusion on race day and provides a sense of structure to the meet. The schedule I have created takes away the last minute rush to the restroom, because I know sometimes the lines can be long.

Should I have been more accommodating, or was I right to keep my place in line?
In the words of the late Tom Petty: "I will stand my ground, and I won't back down."
Old 10-21-17, 08:41 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
All depends on how bad I had to go. And, they had 15 min. They had plenty of time. If it was 5 min to race, I'd let them cut.
Old 10-23-17, 06:43 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
5 or 6 port o johns is the problem. I bet Cedarville had 40. Host a meet....dont be cheap.
Agree and the races should have 5-10 port-o-pots at the starting line area for runners only. That is proper etiquette from race management.
Old 10-25-17, 07:37 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
..... She then made some comment about "me not being there for the kids"........
Laughed.