Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-06-17, 02:01 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Indoor 2018

I see that the list on the OATCCC site is getting put together and a few colleges have their dates on their sites.

Can someone answer this: Are JH kids still able to run unattached indoors? I know that this was done in years past.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-17, 09:09 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Indoor track and field has no governing body. Each meet host is free to set their own rules. The OATCCC has some leverage over hosts who want their meets to be qualifiers for the OATCCC meet at the end of the season, but to my knowledge they don't use that leverage to control who can compete and who can't at qualifying meets.

Most collegiate hosts use HS meets to raise funds they can use to fund trips to meets down south in the early spring. I don't see the OATCCC doing anything to reduce the pool of potential sources of income (competitors) anytime soon.

There are several meets like those in Akron that fill up so quickly that the hosts agree to restrict competitors to high school athletes, but that's because they know they will max out even with such restrictions.

I would expect that you will be able to find plenty of meets that allow JH athletes.
Old 11-07-17, 10:27 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Is it confirmed that the state meet is moving from Akron to Spire?
Old 11-07-17, 10:51 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Is it confirmed that the state meet is moving from Akron to Spire?
https://www.spireinstitute.org/events/track

March 3, 2018

It is on the Spire calendar. Which is up to date compared to the OATCCC calendar.

I like the facility but the concern is that we are limiting indoor to only the Northeast part of the state. This could be a 4-5 hour trip for some school in the Southwest. Which would limit their ability or desire to participate. It is only 1 hour to UK, or Lexington for the Cincinnati schools. 3 hours to Knoxville. Much more attractive to drive south in February/March compared to driving to rustbelt/snowbelt.
Old 11-07-17, 12:24 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
The distance from the SW to Spire is definitely an issue. My other concern is that Spire doesn't necessarily have the best reputation for hosting a smooth meet. They could very well do a nice job, but I think the OATCCC is underestimating the contribution of Akron's own athletes at these meets. Over time they have learned their jobs well and help to run a very smooth and seamless meet. Hopefully Spire can do the same.
Old 11-08-17, 02:35 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Spire's days are numbered, from what I hear. One of the great poor decisions ever in locating a major facility in a corner of the state that isolates itself from over 80% of the state's population.
Old 11-08-17, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Spire's days are numbered, from what I hear. One of the great poor decisions ever in locating a major facility in a corner of the state that isolates itself from over 80% of the state's population.
I don't think you need to worry about Spire's days. There are deep pockets involved and things will only get better as the medical facility begins operations and as the relationship with the US Olympic Committee deepens.

Elite athletes have shown they will travel across many states to compete in elite competitions.

The deepest of the deep pockets graduated from Geneva HS and then Mount Union and wanted to invest in his home community. When it's your money, you get to decide what to do. Not everything needs to be in Columbus.
Old 11-09-17, 07:13 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I don't think you need to worry about Spire's days. There are deep pockets involved and things will only get better as the medical facility begins operations and as the relationship with the US Olympic Committee deepens.

Elite athletes have shown they will travel across many states to compete in elite competitions.

The deepest of the deep pockets graduated from Geneva HS and then Mount Union and wanted to invest in his home community. When it's your money, you get to decide what to do. Not everything needs to be in Columbus.
What you say is true; however, I hear that the money behind Spire will NOT continue ad infinitum to pump money into a sinking fund. The medical side may stay in business - the track facility, for purposes of having major track meets, will not.
Old 11-09-17, 09:33 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
My team is probably out of the OATCCC state championships for indoor.

So I have a good 60 meter guy this year.

We have to drive 9 hours round trip for a 60 meter dash!!!! The math doesn't work. The weather is usually snowy in Geneva this time of year. Why in the world would i drive North in the winter time?

I think I'd rather drive to Louisville 1 hour, Lexington 1 hour or Nashville or Knoxville of 3 hours in order to compete in warmer weather.

Hell St. Louis is the same drive as Geneva. Atlanta is only 2 hours more.
Old 11-09-17, 01:47 PM
Varsity

Eye89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

We have to drive 9 hours round trip for a 60 meter dash!!!! The math doesn't work. The weather is usually snowy in Geneva this time of year. Why in the world would i drive North in the winter time?

I think I'd rather drive to Louisville 1 hour, Lexington 1 hour or Nashville or Knoxville of 3 hours in order to compete in warmer weather.

I understand your points. No one can argue w the facts presented. It is sad that, as an Ohio school, the decision would be made to not give the 60m athlete the opportunity to earn recognition in his/her home state.

Yes, the argument can be made that the decision to host the meet in the most northeast section of the state places an undue hardship on schools furthest away. True. However, itís ultimately a school-based decision to not travel there.

I feel bad for the athlete(s) affected by this school-based decision, because they do have the opportunity to compete there if qualifying marks are met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-17, 03:13 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

Um, It's indoors!

Doesn't outdoor practice start 2 days later?

Why don't you get with someone at the OATCCC and see if they can hold the meet at one of the facilities near you that is just as good, or at least be able to accommodate the same crowds that show up. Try to keep it in the state of Ohio though.