Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-17, 10:09 AM
mreducation mreducation is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 06-20-17
Posts: 4
mreducation is on a distinguished road
Division 1 Girls Regional Final (Pickerington North)

Ok - so we have our final 16 schools on to the Regional at Pickerington North this weekend.

What 5 schools do you all see making the cut to the state meet? Any surprises you foresee?

What team do you see winning the Regional title?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-23-17, 02:20 PM
Percidae Percidae is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-02-15
Posts: 55
Percidae is on a distinguished road
Should be very close between the top three...

1. Granville
2. Hilliard Davidson
3. Olentangy Liberty
4. Gahanna
5. Thomas Worthington
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-17, 02:59 PM
morgan morgan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-10-13
Posts: 34
morgan is on a distinguished road
Several of those schools have a senior class larger than Granville's entire high school, grades 9-12. GHS has just one or two girls over the line into D1. Strange situation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-17, 03:55 PM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,398
mathking is on a distinguished road
None of those schools are even close to a senior class bigger than Granville's whole school. They are a lot bigger. Gahanna and Liberty are about a bit more than two and a half times Granville's size, Davidson is just over twice as big and Thomas is a bit under twice as big. That's the way it's going to be when there are divisions. If Granville were in D2 then the teams at the bottom would be about half of Granville's size.

Having run against them all, I think Davidson is clearly the best. I would guess Davidson, Liberty, Granville, Gahanna, Thomas probably for my picks to get out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-17, 02:35 PM
Denizen Denizen is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-16
Posts: 7
Denizen is on a distinguished road
OHSAA girls enrollment figures...

Granville 326
Davidson 685
Liberty 794
Centerville 1006
Mason 1304

I know you have to cut it off somewhere, but Div II schools never have to try to compete against a school more than twice their size.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-17, 05:25 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
That's not true. In the past there have been times where the largest school in D2 was twice as big as the smallest. This year it's off by 3 kids. And Granville was D2 last year and didn't get the job done. There are cut offs and you deal with them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-17, 07:48 AM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,398
mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
OHSAA girls enrollment figures...

Granville 326
Davidson 685
Liberty 794
Centerville 1006
Mason 1304

I know you have to cut it off somewhere, but Div II schools never have to try to compete against a school more than twice their size.
Yes, D2 schools have less variation between the largest and smallest than do D1 and D3, because they are the group in the middle. There are always going to be teams near the cut off, and the teams on either side of it are always going to be a lot closer in size to each other than to the extremes in the other divisions. (None of that changes the fact that none of the Pickerington regional schools are close to having a senior class bigger than Granville's whole school.) As psychodad says, if you are in a division you deal with racing in that division.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-17, 01:41 PM
morgan morgan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-10-13
Posts: 34
morgan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
That's not true. In the past there have been times where the largest school in D2 was twice as big as the smallest. This year it's off by 3 kids. And Granville was D2 last year and didn't get the job done. There are cut offs and you deal with them.
Your second last sentence is poorly worded. They have to contend with D1 teams in Track also much larger than them
. Of course there are cutoffs, and you have to deal with them. But if you had any idea how hard these young women work, you would not use the words, "Didn't get the job done".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-17, 03:10 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
So, you assume I don't know how hard they work? There are hundreds if not thousands of kids in Ohio that work just as hard. Hard work is not exclusive to Granville. I'm sure the kids at the small schools work hard and I'm sure the kids at schools like Centerville work hard too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-17, 04:04 PM
morgan morgan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-10-13
Posts: 34
morgan is on a distinguished road
"Didn't get the job done". You are talking about 15, 16, 17-year-old young athletes. Those words have a connotation. Failure. They are still kids, not a finely-tuned, highly-polished and smooth-running successful organization like the Cleveland Browns or the Cincinnati Bengals.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-17, 04:37 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Relax. They seem to be doing fine in D1. I'd say about as well as if they were in D2.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-17, 05:43 PM
Altor Altor is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 830
Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
not a finely-tuned, highly-polished and smooth-running successful organization like the Cleveland Browns or the Cincinnati Bengals.


[gasp for breath]

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-17, 06:53 PM
Percidae Percidae is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-02-15
Posts: 55
Percidae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post

Having run against them all, I think Davidson is clearly the best. I would guess Davidson, Liberty, Granville, Gahanna, Thomas probably for my picks to get out.
When did you run against Granville this year? I don't see where your schedules intersect.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-17, 07:01 PM
runner12345 runner12345 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-18-16
Posts: 28
runner12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
That's not true. In the past there have been times where the largest school in D2 was twice as big as the smallest. This year it's off by 3 kids. And Granville was D2 last year and didn't get the job done. There are cut offs and you deal with them.
In D2 having a school be double the size means what, 150 extra students? In D1 there's schools competing with a thousand more students than others in the race. I think 4 divisions would work a lot better than 3 if the logistics of having 8 races in a day wasn't such a big problem.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-17, 07:43 PM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,398
mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
When did you run against Granville this year? I don't see where your schedules intersect.
You are correct, we didn't race their varsity. I was counting the district, but we were not in the same race. I am familiar with them because I saw a couple of their races. (I am an alumnus and a former coach, and a couple of friends have kids running for them.)

In any event, they were very impressive today. Looking forward to seeing them next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-30-17, 11:44 AM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner12345 View Post
In D2 having a school be double the size means what, 150 extra students? In D1 there's schools competing with a thousand more students than others in the race. I think 4 divisions would work a lot better than 3 if the logistics of having 8 races in a day wasn't such a big problem.
I believe they ran 12 races back in the 80's. Team races and then Individual races for each division and both genders.

How many schools have over 1000 in the 3 grades? 10 or less? I've looked at this many times and in both Track and field and CC. it looks like roughly 1-160 then 161-310, 311-600ish and 601ish and up is the way to go for 4 divisions. But with expanding the number of teams that qualify, I do not see 4 divisions happening until there are a lot more schools with CC.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-30-17, 12:22 PM
Running Man 101 Running Man 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-27-11
Posts: 1,142
Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I believe they ran 12 races back in the 80's. Team races and then Individual races for each division and both genders.

How many schools have over 1000 in the 3 grades? 10 or less? I've looked at this many times and in both Track and field and CC. it looks like roughly 1-160 then 161-310, 311-600ish and 601ish and up is the way to go for 4 divisions. But with expanding the number of teams that qualify, I do not see 4 divisions happening until there are a lot more schools with CC.
Agree. Huge schools should be in their own division. I think I would put the big division at 550. Would make for roughly 90 schools. D2 would be 300-550 for roughly 150 schools. D3 would be 150 to 300 and would be roughly 250 schools and everybody else in D4 and would be slightly more than 300.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-30-17, 12:23 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 152
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I believe they ran 12 races back in the 80's. Team races and then Individual races for each division and both genders.

How many schools have over 1000 in the 3 grades? 10 or less? I've looked at this many times and in both Track and field and CC. it looks like roughly 1-160 then 161-310, 311-600ish and 601ish and up is the way to go for 4 divisions. But with expanding the number of teams that qualify, I do not see 4 divisions happening until there are a lot more schools with CC.
I think the D1 cut-off should be 100 schools that would be around 500 boys in the 3 grades. That would mean only 8 schools have more than twice as many boys as the smallest schools. I would then go next 150 in D2 and then 175 in lowest two divisions. This helps balance out the number of athletes in each division. I am fine with splitting the bottom three even or adjusting the amount of teams but putting the top 100 in its own division is the key to making things more fair.

I believe this top 100 in one division should be for all or nearly all sports but know there is very little chance of it happening.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-30-17, 12:34 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 152
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
One other issue with going to 4 divisions is the girls already only have 500 official teams making it harder to justify 4 divisions and with the growth of girls soccer I believe that number will continue to decline. And I don't believe OHSAA has any interest in 4 boys and 3 girls divisions after the combined enrollment failed and now with the rule that both boys and girls have to go to the same district/regional site.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-30-17, 12:52 PM
Running Man 101 Running Man 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-27-11
Posts: 1,142
Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
One other issue with going to 4 divisions is the girls already only have 500 official teams making it harder to justify 4 divisions and with the growth of girls soccer I believe that number will continue to decline. And I don't believe OHSAA has any interest in 4 boys and 3 girls divisions after the combined enrollment failed and now with the rule that both boys and girls have to go to the same district/regional site.
There's the catch, "Official Teams". The divisions should nothing to do with official teams. They should be based ONLY on student population, not what schools wish to participate in what sports. That's silly and still haven't heard a logical explanation for that consideration.

LAX is killing T/F as well. This only further favors the larger schools dominance.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-04-17, 05:28 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Morgan;

If Granville girls were in the D2 race today, I think they would have won it. Just bad timing to jump back up to D1. I have not looked at times, but just the eye test at the meet seemed to indicate your grouping would have been pretty tough to deal with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Division II Schedules EagleFan Football 32 10-25-17 11:29 AM
Football Game Final Scores (8/25/17) Yappi Football 73 08-26-17 09:42 AM
Personal Responsibility 14Red General Board 67 08-02-17 08:28 PM
2017 Softball Regional Pairings Yappi Softball 22 05-27-17 08:43 PM
2017 OHSAA Baseball Regional Pairings Yappi Baseball 7 05-23-17 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz