Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-31-17, 08:49 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
What the heck has happened to La$alle? How does a program fall this bad?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #32  
Old 11-01-17, 07:01 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 831
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
What happened? Kings made it out and Cincy teams took four of the top eight spots.
Carroll and Springboro did not perform well. Kind of a shot in the dark. Since Springboro and Carroll have never made it in D1. Kings has not made it since 2005. All three teams were dependent on who would run average at the regional. Kings stepped it up.

I was proud of them. I really like their coach Jim Brant. He does a great job and is overshadowed by some major numbers at other area schools.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-01-17, 07:03 AM
Running Man 101 Running Man 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-27-11
Posts: 1,142
Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
What the heck has happened to La$alle? How does a program fall this bad?
I've heard rumblings of some changes coming, but we'll see.

They don't have the horses anymore. Lancermania might have some insights as to why, but looks like St X is pulling the kids and some are staying in public schools.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-01-17, 10:06 AM
runner12345 runner12345 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-18-16
Posts: 28
runner12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Carroll and Springboro did not perform well. Kind of a shot in the dark. Since Springboro and Carroll have never made it in D1. Kings has not made it since 2005. All three teams were dependent on who would run average at the regional. Kings stepped it up.

I was proud of them. I really like their coach Jim Brant. He does a great job and is overshadowed by some major numbers at other area schools.

Carroll made the D1 meet in 1998
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-01-17, 10:17 AM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,754
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
I've heard rumblings of some changes coming, but we'll see.

They don't have the horses anymore. Lancermania might have some insights as to why, but looks like St X is pulling the kids and some are staying in public schools.
So, is it actually possible that they did get rid of a "recruiter" and that person is now recruiting for St. X? I thought it was all just great coaching by the best coach in the state. Just hard to figure how a program can be that bad after being that good. Something drastic has changed.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-01-17, 10:58 AM
yj_runfan yj_runfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Posts: 1,431
yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
So, is it actually possible that they did get rid of a "recruiter" and that person is now recruiting for St. X? I thought it was all just great coaching by the best coach in the state. Just hard to figure how a program can be that bad after being that good. Something drastic has changed.
No program lasts forever. It usually happens with a coaching change though. This one is a mystery to me too. I don't believe LaSalle recruited runners. We've had middle school runners that were as good as any in the city living near LaSalle and never heard a word from them.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-01-17, 11:19 AM
honorsports honorsports is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-04-08
Posts: 197
honorsports is on a distinguished road
It appears that Russo's tactics of year round hard training and a focus on running exclusively doesn't work anymore with today's kids.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-01-17, 12:24 PM
Running Man 101 Running Man 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-27-11
Posts: 1,142
Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsports View Post
It appears that Russo's tactics of year round hard training and a focus on running exclusively doesn't work anymore with today's kids.
Maybe. I don't think he's forgotten the technical part of coaching.

I suspect it could be more socioeconomic/demographic changes in that part of cinci. Those types of families now live further out in the Lakota, Mason, Kings, Lebanon areas and these are pretty good schools systems so there is no real need to attend parochial schools. That and St X is getting the lions share of the runners already in the system. LaSalle is still really good at football...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-01-17, 01:22 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 152
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
So, is it actually possible that they did get rid of a "recruiter" and that person is now recruiting for St. X? I thought it was all just great coaching by the best coach in the state. Just hard to figure how a program can be that bad after being that good. Something drastic has changed.
Toledo Central Catholic and Toledo St. Johns have also fallen way off. They were never at the level of LaSalle but TCC didn't even have five at districts this year and TSJ didn't get anyone to regional. Hard to explain, their enrollment is down but that alone would not cause the drop off both teams have had happen.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-01-17, 01:47 PM
Denizen Denizen is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-16
Posts: 7
Denizen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Toledo Central Catholic and Toledo St. Johns have also fallen way off. They were never at the level of LaSalle but TCC didn't even have five at districts this year and TSJ didn't get anyone to regional. Hard to explain, their enrollment is down but that alone would not cause the drop off both teams have had happen.
Well, the downturn really started with Martin Luther, and...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALBB Ohio Regional updates (Tue 07/18 morning) seclmw Baseball 1 07-18-17 01:59 PM
Junior National Duals- Team Ohio MikeMattin Wrestling 25 06-25-17 09:35 AM
2017 Softball Regional Pairings Yappi Softball 22 05-27-17 08:43 PM
2017 OHSAA Baseball Regional Pairings Yappi Baseball 7 05-23-17 10:22 AM
Regional Ohio Results HiC Wrestling 4 05-22-17 09:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz