Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-31-17, 08:49 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
What the heck has happened to La$alle? How does a program fall this bad?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-17, 07:01 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
What happened? Kings made it out and Cincy teams took four of the top eight spots.
Carroll and Springboro did not perform well. Kind of a shot in the dark. Since Springboro and Carroll have never made it in D1. Kings has not made it since 2005. All three teams were dependent on who would run average at the regional. Kings stepped it up.

I was proud of them. I really like their coach Jim Brant. He does a great job and is overshadowed by some major numbers at other area schools.
Old 11-01-17, 07:03 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
What the heck has happened to La$alle? How does a program fall this bad?
I've heard rumblings of some changes coming, but we'll see.

They don't have the horses anymore. Lancermania might have some insights as to why, but looks like St X is pulling the kids and some are staying in public schools.
Old 11-01-17, 10:06 AM
Junior Varsity

runner12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Carroll and Springboro did not perform well. Kind of a shot in the dark. Since Springboro and Carroll have never made it in D1. Kings has not made it since 2005. All three teams were dependent on who would run average at the regional. Kings stepped it up.

I was proud of them. I really like their coach Jim Brant. He does a great job and is overshadowed by some major numbers at other area schools.

Carroll made the D1 meet in 1998
Old 11-01-17, 10:17 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
I've heard rumblings of some changes coming, but we'll see.

They don't have the horses anymore. Lancermania might have some insights as to why, but looks like St X is pulling the kids and some are staying in public schools.
So, is it actually possible that they did get rid of a "recruiter" and that person is now recruiting for St. X? I thought it was all just great coaching by the best coach in the state. Just hard to figure how a program can be that bad after being that good. Something drastic has changed.
Old 11-01-17, 10:58 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, is it actually possible that they did get rid of a "recruiter" and that person is now recruiting for St. X? I thought it was all just great coaching by the best coach in the state. Just hard to figure how a program can be that bad after being that good. Something drastic has changed.
No program lasts forever. It usually happens with a coaching change though. This one is a mystery to me too. I don't believe LaSalle recruited runners. We've had middle school runners that were as good as any in the city living near LaSalle and never heard a word from them.
Old 11-01-17, 11:19 AM
All District

honorsports is on a distinguished road
It appears that Russo's tactics of year round hard training and a focus on running exclusively doesn't work anymore with today's kids.
Old 11-01-17, 12:24 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsports View Post
It appears that Russo's tactics of year round hard training and a focus on running exclusively doesn't work anymore with today's kids.
Maybe. I don't think he's forgotten the technical part of coaching.

I suspect it could be more socioeconomic/demographic changes in that part of cinci. Those types of families now live further out in the Lakota, Mason, Kings, Lebanon areas and these are pretty good schools systems so there is no real need to attend parochial schools. That and St X is getting the lions share of the runners already in the system. LaSalle is still really good at football...
Old 11-01-17, 01:22 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Toledo Central Catholic and Toledo St. Johns have also fallen way off. They were never at the level of LaSalle but TCC didn't even have five at districts this year and TSJ didn't get anyone to regional. Hard to explain, their enrollment is down but that alone would not cause the drop off both teams have had happen.
Old 11-01-17, 01:47 PM
Freshman

Denizen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Toledo Central Catholic and Toledo St. Johns have also fallen way off. They were never at the level of LaSalle but TCC didn't even have five at districts this year and TSJ didn't get anyone to regional. Hard to explain, their enrollment is down but that alone would not cause the drop off both teams have had happen.
Well, the downturn really started with Martin Luther, and...