Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-04-19, 08:06 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
NBA thread

This will be a general thread on NBA happenings...

Not sure how many caught this because the game just ended about 7 hours ago, but there was the ultimate "ball don't lie" moment at Oracle last night at the end of the Warriors/ Rockets game.

With time running out in OT, there was a scramble for a loose ball, the Warriors Kevin Durrant went running for a loose ball, had two feet out of bounds, dove for a loose ball that was still in bound and batted it back in, clearly a violation. No whistle. Steph Curry ended up with the ball a few seconds later and put the Warriors up 2 with under 10 seconds. During a time out there was a little discussion on the play, but no replay. It wasn't even discussed? Now if you're going to have replay in the last minute, on what occasion would you not use it? Obviously all 3 officials didn't see the play, they couldn't have.

Anyway, the Rockets James Harden bailed out he officials and the NBA by sinking a 40 foot 3 pointer to win the game with 1 second left.

I'm simply amazed that in 2018, with all the technology available, there wouldn't had been at least a look at that play? It's certainly moot because Harden hit the shot, but if he misses, it's a travesty of the game. This is one of the reasons, people question the integrity of the NBA.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-19, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Just stopping by to say the Rockets attempted SEVENTY threes last night.

Old 01-17-19, 12:08 PM
All District

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
NBA is unwatchable right now. Nobody plays defense. Everybody launching 3s. It's basically played like the All-Star game now. Cavs/Blazers set an NBA record last night for fewest combined turnovers in a game (not a surprise since nobody actually guards anybody).
Old 01-17-19, 01:50 PM
All World

Watched the Warriors/ Pelicans last night, both teams combined to make 34 3's and the 3rd quarter wasn't over yet.
Old 01-17-19, 01:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Just stopping by to say the Rockets attempted SEVENTY threes last night.

That's incredible. The game is so much about spacing the floor and an uncontested 3 is, today, a very good shot. The Nets, who the Rockets played, hit 44% of their 3's last night. You have to shoot over 60% to keep up with that points wise.
Old 01-17-19, 01:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm.1019 View Post
NBA is unwatchable right now. Nobody plays defense. Everybody launching 3s. It's basically played like the All-Star game now. Cavs/Blazers set an NBA record last night for fewest combined turnovers in a game (not a surprise since nobody actually guards anybody).
I don't know that I can agree with that. I think the ability to space the floor has made defense very difficult. You can play great defense, a player helps on defense and kicks it to a wide open shooter and it's 3 points. Is that bad defense or better offense?
I think we are in a different era of NBA basketball. Just because guys aren't taking charges and he scores aren't in the 80's doesn't mean no one is playing defense. Watch a game and see how many uncontested layups there are? Almost none. Everything is contested at the rim. Therefore, what is a better shot attempt, a shot around the rim with 2-3 guys trying to block it, or an uncontested 3 point shot?
Old 01-17-19, 04:40 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm.1019 View Post
I get your drift. I'm not sure I would call it unwatchable, but it does seem like the game is turning in to a 3-point shooting contest. Right now there is still some balance top the game, but the tendency is clear; the teams that make the most 3's will be the most successful.

Basketball is much more fun to watch when the game is balanced between outside (yes, 3-pointers) play as well as tough play down low and getting the ball into the post. Sadly, this may be going the way of the horse and buggy.
Old 01-17-19, 04:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
I get your drift. I'm not sure I would call it unwatchable, but it does seem like the game is turning in to a 3-point shooting contest. Right now there is still some balance top the game, but the tendency is clear; the teams that make the most 3's will be the most successful.

Basketball is much more fun to watch when the game is balanced between outside (yes, 3-pointers) play as well as tough play down low and getting the ball into the post. Sadly, this may be going the way of the horse and buggy.
But this is what makes the Warriors so fun to watch. Curry and Thompson spread the floor, but yet they get alot of layups because the lane is open because the defense has to honor the shooters. Even Curry gets more layups than you think because he handles the ball so well and can finish. Durrant and Thompson have great mid range games.

The regular season can be difficult because teams have very little prep time, it's mostly just do what we do and not worry about game planning. Players are sitting some now and there are always a couple of new faces in the rotation. But it's still fun to see basketball played at the highest level. We are witnessing the best shooting guard of all time right now in Curry. His shooting numbers, including the distances he shoots from is simply ridiculous. His game is just on a different level.
Old 01-18-19, 09:18 AM
All World

So a check on our good friend Lonzo Ball through about 100 games in his NBA career. He's shooting 40% from the field, 33% from 3 point land and 48% from the free throw line. 10 points per game/ 5 and a half rebounds and 5 and a half assists per game. Now these aren't awful numbers, but for a guy who was proclaimed to take the Lakers to a championship level, he's not much more than a below average starting guard.