Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-14-17, 12:56 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Can he pull a John Elway and just say I will not sign with the Browns if picked? From what I understand his family has means so its not like he is hurting for $s so he could sit out the entire 2018 season as leverage forcing the Browns take Rosen and then go play up the coast in SF.
His dad's a plumber. I'm sure they live comfortably, but they're not millionaires like Rosen's family. And the Niners have their QB in Garrappolo.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 01:01 PM
All Region

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
38-17 tOSU is my pick with Barrett going out with a great win.
That would be great!

I'm thinking more like a low-score nailbiter if tOSU defense shows up or a repeat scoring nailbiter of USC / PSU from last year.
Old 12-16-17, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
What if Ward and Baker sit this out ?
Baker says he will be playing regardless of NFL decision: https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/...bowl-nfl-draft
Old 12-16-17, 04:16 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
It's tough to think of many times coming back for another year of college when you're a guaranteed top 10 pick has worked for someone. Darnold would be wise to declare.
Old 12-16-17, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
..... he can't just hang out in college forever anyway.
My second cousin did it.

Art history major.....
Old 12-16-17, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

So, does Urban's stubborn insistence of hanging in with JT this season - in spite of the fact that everything looked more intimidating to a defense with Haskins - actually help with his recruiting ? Or would he have to show the same loyalty to play-calling that suits the skill set of whomever wins next year's QB battle to "prove" it's about his kids and not his system/ego first and foremost ?
Old 12-16-17, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
It's tough to think of many times coming back for another year of college when you're a guaranteed top 10 pick has worked for someone. Darnold would be wise to declare.
see: Cardale Jones, Matt Barkley......
Old 12-16-17, 05:20 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
see: Cardale Jones, Matt Barkley......
Matt Leinart...
Old 12-16-17, 05:45 PM
All World

Quote:
So, does Urban's stubborn insistence of hanging in with JT this season - in spite of the fact that everything looked more intimidating to a defense with Haskins - actually help with his recruiting ? Or would he have to show the same loyalty to play-calling that suits the skill set of whomever wins next year's QB battle to "prove" it's about his kids and not his system/ego first and foremost ?
I think the 3 national titles and near unmatched record of producing 1st rd NFL picks is probably all he needs when sitting in a recruit's living room.
Old 12-16-17, 06:08 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
They could both be 5-7 and I'd be up for this game. Bout time. Unfortunately, it probably won't be on network and I won't get to watch it.
ESPN. Care to take the trial run with Sling TV?
Old 12-16-17, 08:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think the 3 national titles and near unmatched record of identifying 1st rd NFL picks is probably all he needs when sitting in a recruit's living room.
fyp

And anyway, I was referring to the QB position. I'd have thought that was understood, given my emphasis on Barrett.
Old 12-16-17, 08:19 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Awards and honors

Barrett was named Conference Freshman of the Week seven times and received the Big Ten's Thompson–Randle El Freshman of the Year award. He received the Big Ten's Griese–Brees Quarterback of the Year award in 2014, 2016 and 2017. Barrett was named First Team All-Big Ten in 2014, 2016 and 2017 by both conference coaches and media.[14][15] Barrett earned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honors nine times.[16][17]

Barrett is the only three-time captain in the history of the Buckeyes football team.[18][19]

His record speaks for itself.

I do see changes coming next season though with the overall offensive scheme.
Old 12-16-17, 10:48 PM
All World

Quote:
fyp
Right. Urban doesn't have anything to do with guys becoming 1st rd NFL picks.

Quote:
And anyway, I was referring to the QB position.
Josh Harris
Omar Jacobs
Alex Smith
Tim Tebow
Cam Newton
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Dwayne Haskins(7th rated QB 2016 class)
Tate Martell(2nd rated QB 2017 class)

Seems like he recruits QB's pretty well too
Old 12-17-17, 02:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Right. Urban doesn't have anything to do with guys becoming 1st rd NFL picks.
Nobody said that. Don't be an idiot again.

I happen to think that the raw materials are more important.

You're welcome to believe that the coaching of Meyer and his assistants is more important than the HS players that he starts with if you wish, but if you believe that dozens of other programs would not also get "Urban's" Pro success stories to the NFL, you're a bigger moron than I realized. Ever notice all the "non-Top 25" programs named off in those game broadcasts in which those NFL starters say the names of their respective universities ? Or ever notice that none of the QBs ever say tOSU ?

Quote:
Josh Harris
Omar Jacobs
Alex Smith
Tim Tebow
Cam Newton
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Dwayne Haskins(7th rated QB 2016 class)
Tate Martell(2nd rated QB 2017 class)

Seems like he recruits QB's pretty well too
Uhhh....interesting list of college QBs. Let's not forget that you chose to enter the conversation with this below, as I referred to the QB position -

Quote:
I think the 3 national titles and near unmatched record of producing 1st rd NFL picks is probably all he needs when sitting in a recruit's living room.
If your point was that he'll put a good team around a QB, I agree, but that's not how I read your string of posts.

Josh Harris 6th in '04

Omar Jacobs 5th in '06

Alex Smith 1st pick overall in '05, it took him nearly a decade to get any respect as an NFL QB at all, and most regard him as a game manager that needs a stout defense and a 80+ yd rusher to have much success.

Tim Tebow Broncos 2nd pick of the 1st round in '10. They regretted it , no doubt.

Cam Newton Had to leave Urban to play. Thief>felony>suspended from team>JUCO>Auburn

Cardale Jones 4th in '16 National Championship winner due to running a non-Urban offensive scheme in Tom Hermann's final 3 games as tOSU OC. He was playing those 3 games in relief of an injured Barrett. The following season, with Hermann gone, Urban RO'ed him into oblivion. Had he entered the '15 Draft before Urban took his strengths away, he'd have caught a bigger draft day signing bonus and a better overall contract. More to his own detriment, it appears that he never grew up. I guess Urban tried.....

JT Barrett Great kid by all accounts. Prototype Urban QB. Won't start an NFL game.

Dwayne Haskins(7th rated QB 2016 class) Maybe Urb's best chance for a successful NFL QB since Smith. Needs a pro-style offense, and was the point of my post.

Tate Martell(2nd rated QB 2017 class) Drew Brees ?

Great list, but I'd add Braxton Miller. The top rated QB prospect when graduating HS (Rivals' #1 QB, Scout's #2 QB). Recruited by Jim Tressel. Got "punted" to Fickell, due to the sins of others. Enter Urban Meyer. Not developed as an NFL QB by Urban. Displaced by JT Barrett, a once-promising passer and Urban recruit that also did not develop as a passer in Urban's Tebow-esque offense. Selected as a WR by Houston in the 3rd, purely because of his God-given abilities.

Are you now seeing my point about the importance of how he handles Haskins, especially if Burrow leaves and lights it up slinging the ball elsewhere, or are you just ready for the Martell era ?

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 12-17-17 at 02:27 AM..
Old 12-17-17, 02:46 PM
All World

Good attempt to dismiss all of those guys, but the point being Urban has no issue identifying and signing talent at any position, including QB.

To act like "how he handled" JT/Haskins will have any impact on his ability to recruit is just chicken little stuff that is standard from a minority of OSU fans. Thankfully, top HS recruits don't seem to have the same poor judgement.

Urban's track record of winning in college and producing top NFL draft picks is matched by only one person, and that's Saban. He will continue to sign top class after top class and have any program he coaches in the national title picture year after year. When that changes, it might be worth indulging the panicky subgroup of OSU fans that think nonsense like "he's too loyal to one of the most accomplished players in OSU history, will it hurt him with recruits?"
Old 12-18-17, 08:11 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
fyp

And anyway, I was referring to the QB position. I'd have thought that was understood, given my emphasis on Barrett.
No, you didn't.
Old 12-18-17, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Good attempt to dismiss all of those guys, but the point being Urban has no issue identifying and signing talent at any position, including QB.

To act like "how he handled" JT/Haskins will have any impact on his ability to recruit is just chicken little stuff that is standard from a minority of OSU fans. Thankfully, top HS recruits don't seem to have the same poor judgement.

Urban's track record of winning in college and producing top NFL draft picks is matched by only one person, and that's Saban. He will continue to sign top class after top class and have any program he coaches in the national title picture year after year. When that changes, it might be worth indulging the panicky subgroup of OSU fans that think nonsense like "he's too loyal to one of the most accomplished players in OSU history, will it hurt him with recruits?"
Like you dismiss a post as soon as you quote it ? Pretend to address it even while changing the topic. Are you e_p ?

Once again, I was referring to QB recruits. Focus.

If you had a son that appeared to have a shot in three years or so of being a high QB pick, would you let him run an Urban offense ? (such parents would constitute a small minority) Not me. I'm moving him far away from that. I'd be looking for more than school records.

When more parents realize that Urb's RO schemes aren't going to get it done any more against the Clemsons and Bamas, he'll slip in the overall recruiting.
Old 12-18-17, 08:28 PM
All World

Quote:
I'm moving him far away from that. I'd be looking for more than school records.
Who cares what you would do? You aren't the parent of an elite athlete and you never will be. The people who are actually parents of top recruits, including at the QB position, seem to be fine with Urban. Which is what matters, not what you would do when you fantasize about your home schooled kid going pro

Quote:
When more parents realize that Urb's RO schemes aren't going to get it done any more against the Clemsons and Bamas, he'll slip in the overall recruiting.
Okay, your prediction based on no evidence is noted.
Old 12-18-17, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who cares what you would do? You aren't the parent of an elite athlete and you never will be. The people who are actually parents of top recruits, including at the QB position, seem to be fine with Urban. Which is what matters, not what you would do when you fantasize about your home schooled kid going pro

Okay, your prediction based on no evidence is noted.
So, you parse away and play games ? You're conceding the point, then. Maybe you're not a moron. Just a jerk
Old 12-25-17, 07:42 AM
All Region

IronEagle82 is on a distinguished road
This game is a must win for both programs. From recruiting, morale going into spring ball, and national perception going into next season.

The Ohio State secondary has improved majorly throughout the season with Denzel and Jordan Fuller leading the way. Darnold has thrown 12 picks and been sacked 21 times. Ohio State defensive line needs to smother this guy early and often.
Old 12-25-17, 08:27 AM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
All USC needs to remember is that, if OSU needs yards, JT will keep and run.
Old 12-25-17, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
Why do you want to expand it? They have the right final 4.
Because it should be a final 8.

And OSU has a better resume than Alabama.
Old 12-25-17, 11:23 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post

They do, but they also lost twice.
Old 12-26-17, 08:58 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Like you dismiss a post as soon as you quote it ? Pretend to address it even while changing the topic. Are you e_p ?

Once again, I was referring to QB recruits. Focus.

If you had a son that appeared to have a shot in three years or so of being a high QB pick, would you let him run an Urban offense ? (such parents would constitute a small minority) Not me. I'm moving him far away from that. I'd be looking for more than school records.

Didn't Ohio State def. Alabama in 2014 scoring 42 pts. If Ohio State would have been picked to play in the 15 CFP' s IMO they would have won it all and rather convincingly. OSU loses to Clemson big last year and that's all some people ( mostly OSU haters ) remember, plus OSU def. Okie last year lost to Okie this season. When you play good teams sometimes you lose, the trouble with the CFP's is that Alabama every year gets a pass for scheduling a powder puff non-league schedule.
Old 12-26-17, 02:44 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post

And USC has a better resume than Ohio State. We played a real schedule. Alabama and Ohio State played nobody. You should have to play a top 30 schedule to be considered for the playoffs
Old 12-26-17, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
USC was essentially in the same category as Ohio State with their Notre Dame loss IMO. A better opponent than Iowa, but that type of beating just couldn't be forgiven. Alabama's biggest credential was not having a Notre Dame or Iowa on their resume. Not getting whooped ultimately mattered more than not really beating anybody of substance.

From both a morale and perception standpoint this a huge game for OSU. A win completes a 12-2 season as BIG champs and the first OSU team to get it done against USC, and they finish somewhere between 3rd-5th in the polls. Urban continues his streak at OSU with 2 or fewer losses per year and he picks up some juice for the recruiting trail after a disappointing December on that front.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 12-26-17 at 04:25 PM..
Old 12-27-17, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Unsure what to expect in this game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ohio State run all over USC. Urban and staff have a big edge on Clay Helton IMO. But I kinda think, as I did before the Oklahoma game, that the massive difference at QB will overwhelm all of the small advantages the Buckeyes have.
Old 12-28-17, 10:05 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is the issue I have with the current playoff system, and it's coming to fruition right before our eyes.
Anyone talking about the Cotton Bowl? There is very little chatter about this game. This is one of the major bowls, big payout, two historically great programs....but it's not enough for us anymore. We have to be in the championship for it to matter. So sad.
Old 12-28-17, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Here is the issue I have with the current playoff system, and it's coming to fruition right before our eyes.
Anyone talking about the Cotton Bowl? There is very little chatter about this game. This is one of the major bowls, big payout, two historically great programs....but it's not enough for us anymore. We have to be in the championship for it to matter. So sad.
Well other than the UGA-OU thread started by DTP who happens to be a UGA fan, this is the only other bowl game that has its own thread. And it's on page 2, so there are at least 30 posts about it. The UGA-OU thread only has a handful of posts and there isn't a thread at all for the other Semifinal Bama/Clemson. So based on this CFB forum, it would appear you're wrong again Red.

Edit: there are now 59 posts on this game.
Old 12-28-17, 11:01 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm...59 posts in 17 days, about 3 posts a day, and by reading through them, some are about who may sit, if Darnald comes out, things non-related to the game.

Pretty weak...proves my point...many of the Buckeye faithful are sitting this one out.