Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-21-17, 10:23 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
The Orville

Anyone watching "The Orville"? There hasn't been alot of new sci-fi shows lately. I wasn't anticipating watching this show but I actually like it. It's basically a watered down Star Trek series with a little absurd comedy thrown in throughout the show.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-17, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
no interest

I'll stick with Rick and Morty
Old 09-22-17, 09:16 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Not yet. Think about it when I see the commercials, but that's it. Don't watch much TV now except for sports and news. May still check it out...
Old 09-22-17, 09:41 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post

I'll stick with Rick and Morty
Fvkin A
Old 09-22-17, 10:40 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Rick and Morty is great, but the fans are beyond obnoxious.
Old 09-22-17, 10:46 PM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.
Old 09-22-17, 11:23 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Lol
Old 09-23-17, 04:48 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
The Orville is LOL funny.

To each his own.
Old 09-25-17, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.
Unfortunately, I think it's already jumped the shark. Bummer.
Old 09-29-17, 01:14 AM
Go Buckeyes

I'm liking this show more and more. It does remind me of the older Star Trek series before they decided that special effects were the most important aspect of the show.

If anyone remembers the old series "Sliders", it reminds me of that show too. Simple sets in wildly different places with decent enough special effects. Every story was self-contained and it was a little cheesy to make it funny.
Old 09-03-18, 10:28 PM
Go Buckeyes

Preview for season 2:

Old 09-04-18, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm liking this show more and more. It does remind me of the older Star Trek series before they decided that special effects were the most important aspect of the show.

If anyone remembers the old series "Sliders", it reminds me of that show too. Simple sets in wildly different places with decent enough special effects. Every story was self-contained and it was a little cheesy to make it funny.
I'm not a fan of Macfarlane's stuff but I do like this show. It's actually more serious then I thought it would be which adds to the humor. By structuring the episodes like the original Star Trek & Star Trek TNG, there's actually a coherent story to follow. Within this context the humor works well.

The Orville is NOT Space Balls which is good because while funny the jokes in SB got old about half way through.

In addition to all the Star Trek's the other shows The Orville "borrows" from big time are Babylon 5 & Star Gate.
Old 09-04-18, 08:08 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
I've watched it a couple of times. It's not terrible.
Old 12-30-18, 01:42 AM
Go Buckeyes

Season 2 starts tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing this show.
Old 12-31-18, 06:28 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Mrs. Zunardo and I watched a few minutes of it last night for the first time. My immediate impression was "it's a Star Trek/STNG parody". One character was an obvious take-off on Worf, with the deep voice and latex skull.
Old 01-05-19, 02:51 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I was a big fan last year.

The parody is funny for a while, but it is not enough. There has to something else to laugh at, and in the first two episodes this year I think I laughed once.

And then there are MacFarlane's morality lessons. Probably no worse than what they were on Star Trek. Maybe that makes The Orville a parody of a parody.
Old 01-05-19, 03:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I was a big fan last year.

The parody is funny for a while, but it is not enough. There has to something else to laugh at, and in the first two episodes this year I think I laughed once.

And then there are MacFarlane's morality lessons. Probably no worse than what they were on Star Trek. Maybe that makes The Orville a parody of a parody.
I thought the last episode was pretty weak. I wondered what the people who saw it for the first time would think.

It just doesn't seem as witty or well written. Seems to almost be going for the cringe factor instead of being clever. Hope it goes back to how it was in the first season...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: