Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-18-17, 08:15 PM
All World

LeopardNation is on a distinguished road
Week 1: Canfield Cardinals at Louisville Leopards

It's the greatest time of year! Football Season begins 1 week from today!

I figured I'd open up the discussion and add my usual links to past highlights for enjoyment, the all-time series, etc.

How does Canfield look this year? What are your predictions?

Live Updates

Live Updates from tonight's Canfield Cardinals at Louisville Leopards Football Game:

Canfield Cardinals at Louisville Leopards Football 2017

All-Time Series Breakdown

Louisville Leopards Vs. Canfield Cardinals All-Time Football Series

PAST GAME ARCHIVE - VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS

2000 Football Playoffs: Canfield Cardinals 21, Louisville Leopards 7

2005 Football Playoffs: Canfield Cardinals 7, Louisville Leopards 0

2012 Varsity Football - Louisville Leopards 21, Canfield Cardinals 13

2012 JV Football - Louisville Leopards 28, Canfield Cardinals 0

2012 Freshman Football - Canfield Cardinals 34, Louisville Leopards 20

2013 Varsity Football - Louisville Leopards 13, Canfield Cardinals 10

2014 Varsity Football - Louisville Leopards 24, Canfield Cardinals 7

2014 Freshman Football - Canfield Cardinals 22, Louisville Leopards 8

2014 Freshman Football - Canfield Cardinals 42, Louisville Leopards 28

2015 Varsity Football - Louisville Leopards 40, Canfield Cardinals 14

2016 Freshman Football - Louisville Leopards 36, Canfield Cardinals 24

2016 Varsity Football - Louisville Leopards 21, Canfield Cardinals 17

2016 JV Football - Canfield Cardinals 20, Louisville Leopards 0

Last edited by LeopardNation; 08-16-18 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-17, 01:58 PM
All World

New Leopards Pregame Video is out! Made by John Swigert!

Louisville Leopards Football 2017 Pregame Video
Old 08-20-17, 07:56 AM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
Thanks to John for doing the video. This is probably the most question marks we've had about our team in a long time. Who will be the QB? Who will play on the offensive line? How many players will go both ways? We need a win either here or next week against Hoover to have a shot at week 11, hopefully we can get it done this Friday and build up the confidence of a this very young team.
Old 08-20-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Could be canfjelds best team in a while. Should be a battle.
Old 08-20-17, 06:50 PM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
What's Canfield got coming back? I know they've had some good younger classes the last few years. I'm assuming their run first offense will be in place.
I know we've settled on a QB, but there's still a ton of questions about this team. I'm excited to see how we come out and stop the run Friday. Gotta get the ball in the playmakers hands and let them make plays, no turnovers, and limit the stupid penalties.
Old 08-21-17, 11:55 AM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Could be canfjelds best team in a while. Should be a battle.
They won't be that good. They are too predictable on offense. Akin to Tressel when he was at OSU and he called a HB dive up the middle 5 times in a row, Canfield will likely call a QB draw or zone read 20 plays in a row. They are too one dimensional on offense, you can only afford to do that if you are a team like Mooney where you are way better than your opponent at pretty much every position.
Canfield should have a decent defense the one DB should be pretty good.
Last year Canfield had the game won practically, and Louisville would have lost the game had everything not gone their way.
Louisville should be good again this year but sometimes they are still searching for an identity early in the season, they are usually very solid and much improved after the first couple weeks when they have a better idea of what they have and what their strengths are.

Canfield may go 8-2 or they could go 3-7, they don't really have the athletes but with good coaching they might do better than their talent level would suggest. Some years Pavlansky can take a 3-7 or 4-6 team and figure out a way to go 7-3, sometimes despite his efforts they still go 3-7. Canfield is usually built on good coaching rather than exceptional athletes.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-17, 04:50 PM
All World

WKBN's football preview for Canfield this year: http://wkbn.com/2017/07/17/line-play...ields-success/
Old 08-22-17, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
They won't be that good. They are too predictable on offense. Akin to Tressel when he was at OSU and he called a HB dive up the middle 5 times in a row, Canfield will likely call a QB draw or zone read 20 plays in a row. They are too one dimensional on offense, you can only afford to do that if you are a team like Mooney where you are way better than your opponent at pretty much every position.
Canfield should have a decent defense the one DB should be pretty good.
Last year Canfield had the game won practically, and Louisville would have lost the game had everything not gone their way.
Louisville should be good again this year but sometimes they are still searching for an identity early in the season, they are usually very solid and much improved after the first couple weeks when they have a better idea of what they have and what their strengths are.

Canfield may go 8-2 or they could go 3-7, they don't really have the athletes but with good coaching they might do better than their talent level would suggest. Some years Pavlansky can take a 3-7 or 4-6 team and figure out a way to go 7-3, sometimes despite his efforts they still go 3-7. Canfield is usually built on good coaching rather than exceptional athletes.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Cmon don't downplay the cards
Old 08-22-17, 05:22 PM
All Ohio

They also finally have a roster up somewhere. I think the picture is from last year though.

http://www.vindy.com/blitz/teams/canfield/
Old 08-22-17, 05:23 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to a typical Louisville vs Canfield game. Louisville has some outstanding athletes. Hope we can get them the ball and slow Canfield's run game. Good luck, Blue!
Old 08-22-17, 09:01 PM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Canfield posters seem to be playing possum if you ask me. Seem to be forgetting that the current SR and JR classes beat the Leopard freshman 56-14 over those two years. Like it was said earlier Cards had last year's game in the bag before the miracle play by Tyler Adams. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see the cards win this game, don't want to, but wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by Leopard4life; 08-22-17 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 09:19 PM
All American

Show a little confidence. Coaching staff may not be who you desired, but get on board and back who we have . Maybe get a job and take over since you know so much.
Old 08-22-17, 09:54 PM
Varsity

I never said a word about coaches, or make a claim to know more then anyone else. I simply pointed out facts about the players taking the field on Friday night, and how the past games have played out. Could also point out that the JV games ended 28-0 over last two years. Point is, if anyone thinks Canfield won't put a team out there capable of beating the Leopards you are mistaken.
Old 08-22-17, 10:09 PM
All American

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Canfield basically returns their entire team from last year. 8 on offense, 8 on defense. And both kickers.
Old 08-23-17, 12:22 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Their QB was a stud tho, made a lot of plays with his legs, not easy to replace especially early in
Old 08-23-17, 05:28 AM
All American

Right. But the QB this year is a better runner than Cummings. Whether or not he can throw the ball effectively is the question.

Personally, I expect Canfield to be every bit as good as last year... possibly better.

They return their entire secondary, their 2 best linebackers, and both defensive ends... on a defense that held Louisville to just 7 points for like 43 minutes last year. And as previously mentioned, the JV and Freshman teams have owned Louisville the last couple years.

I really believe Canfield will win this one in a mild upset.
Old 08-23-17, 06:37 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
Right. But the QB this year is a better runner than Cummings. Whether or not he can throw the ball effectively is the question.

Personally, I expect Canfield to be every bit as good as last year... possibly better.

They return their entire secondary, their 2 best linebackers, and both defensive ends... on a defense that held Louisville to just 7 points for like 43 minutes last year. And as previously mentioned, the JV and Freshman teams have owned Louisville the last couple years.

I really believe Canfield will win this one in a mild upset.

I'm not entirely sure the Leopards can say the same in terms of being a better team in 2017 than 2016 IMHO. Canfield's misdirection offense will create challenges in our 2nd level. I think this game will be really close and decided by turnovers margin.
Old 08-23-17, 07:16 AM
All American

This game is going to be interesting, for the simple fact that we have yet to see our starting d-line in on the field together. Can't really compare last years teams, because those were last years teams. Canfield surely has more returning on a defense that did hold us out of the end zone for most of the game, but gave up 350 yds of offense and 16 first downs. Canfield also didn't turn the ball over...we did twice. Our "system" seems to give Canfield problems on defense, but the pressure will be on the Louisville defense to make stops this year. I'm excited to get this season started...it's been a while since we've had a team where there were not certain expectations before the season started...and I don't think anyone really knows how we'll perform with all these young guys and new starters.
Old 08-23-17, 07:19 AM
All American

FWIW Canfield only had 75 rushing yards last year against us compared to 175 passing, and the QB had all those rushing yards. Not typical for a Canfield/Louisville game.
Old 08-23-17, 08:01 AM
All American

I wasn't comparing this year to last year. Just pointing out that Canfield will be very battle tested going into week 1. That's always a plus.
Can Louisville say the same?

Canfield's QB did play a lot last year, too. So the jitters shouldn't be there.

I didn't say that Canfield will embarrass Louisville. Just that I think they'll win.
Old 08-23-17, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

I don't know exactly who will be our front four on defense, but if we go with 50,51,54, and 68 then we will be about 20 pounds heavier than we were last year. About 215 per man last year compared to about 235 with the four I mentioned. That group does have 2 sophomores in it so what we would gain in size we lose in experience. Whoever plays up front is really going to have to win their one on one battles to keep blockers off of our linebackers. And those linebackers don't have to be as good as what we have had the last 4 years, but they do need to fill their gaps and make tackles. Canfield always seems to have success running on us early in games then we kind of settle in in the second half. I don't think we can afford to go down a couple of scores early this year and expect to come back. So for me the keys would be the play of our front 6, no turnovers, and get #26 going early so they don't just drop 7 into coverage like they did when we had Duckworth and no running game.
Old 08-23-17, 11:11 AM
All American

We need a running game...he's going to have to find a way to put this team on his back and be a leader on offense. We all know the downside to the offense is run blocking...it's always been, but the senior needs to be productive and hold onto the ball. Be reliable.
Old 08-23-17, 05:26 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
When you're one dimensional you usually lose to good teams, and Louisville is a good team that has had canfields number, but that team returns a lot that couldn't really stop anyone last year either
Old 08-24-17, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville-ified View Post
I don't know exactly who will be our front four on defense, but if we go with 50,51,54, and 68 then we will be about 20 pounds heavier than we were last year. About 215 per man last year compared to about 235 with the four I mentioned. That group does have 2 sophomores in it so what we would gain in size we lose in experience. Whoever plays up front is really going to have to win their one on one battles to keep blockers off of our linebackers. And those linebackers don't have to be as good as what we have had the last 4 years, but they do need to fill their gaps and make tackles. Canfield always seems to have success running on us early in games then we kind of settle in in the second half. I don't think we can afford to go down a couple of scores early this year and expect to come back. So for me the keys would be the play of our front 6, no turnovers, and get #26 going early so they don't just drop 7 into coverage like they did when we had Duckworth and no running game.

Good to know those key OL/DL are back and should be ready to go. Football is blocking and tackling. I think this game comes down to turnovers. The team taking care of the football will win. Interesting Demarco mentioned the junior got the edge at QB due to his running ability. This tells me he'll be doing a lot of running against Canfield. You might be surprised #13 might have to be that running leader and not #26. I think if Canfield's DE play creates pressure from the edge, could create turnovers. I don't think the junior will be effective throwing on the run and that could be a factor in my opinion with a tendency to chuck it.
Old 08-24-17, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
This game is going to be interesting, for the simple fact that we have yet to see our starting d-line in on the field together. Can't really compare last years teams, because those were last years teams. Canfield surely has more returning on a defense that did hold us out of the end zone for most of the game, but gave up 350 yds of offense and 16 first downs. Canfield also didn't turn the ball over...we did twice. Our "system" seems to give Canfield problems on defense, but the pressure will be on the Louisville defense to make stops this year. I'm excited to get this season started...it's been a while since we've had a team where there were not certain expectations before the season started...and I don't think anyone really knows how we'll perform with all these young guys and new starters.
The pressure you speak of in my opinion will come down to the 2nd level. Can we shed and fight off blocks, get to the hole, and be in the right positions. I know the LB's are young but better get it in gear, going to see plenty of misdirection.
Old 08-24-17, 05:55 PM
Varsity

If I was to make a guess on QB situation, I would guess we will see the Zwick/Neff/Khun style as opposed to the Seaman/Adams/Duckworth style. 13 is certainly going to be one of the most athletic players on the field, question is can he control his emotions enough to lead the team and avoid the yellow flags. We will know soon enough.
Old 08-25-17, 07:20 AM
All American

Louisville freshmen won 31-12 last night at Canfield...good start to the season.
Old 08-25-17, 10:58 AM
Varsity

Game day is here... I remember 30+ years ago taking that field for week 1 anxious, nervous, excited, and confident all rolled up inside. Go Leps!
Old 08-25-17, 11:43 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard4life View Post
Game day is here... I remember 30+ years ago taking that field for week 1 anxious, nervous, excited, and confident all rolled up inside. Go Leps!
Actually "that" field is only seven years old. The field you took and talking about is in some landfill or someone's yard.

Last edited by COACH_XYZ&12345; 08-25-17 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 01:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Actually "that" field is only seven years old. The field you took and talking about is in some landfill or someone's yard.
Still has the same meaning, feeling.