Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-24-18, 09:03 AM
Freshman

uncledru is on a distinguished road
AAU: Team Sport or Individual Sport

Would you rather have your player be a key contributor on a winning team or the leading scorer on a losing team?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-18, 09:21 AM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Both? I think AAU ball is a showcase for individual talent, however the better the team is, the more interest it draws.
Old 04-24-18, 10:55 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledru View Post
Would you rather have your player be a key contributor on a winning team or the leading scorer on a losing team?
Easy, key contributor. The coaches and recruiters all know who the great kids are. AAU gives them a chance to see kids who sometime "fly under the radar".
If your a key contributor on any team, one who: plays solid defense, hustles, passes well, can get a key rebound or can hit that mid-range jumper you'll get noticed.
Old 04-24-18, 11:48 AM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
To me AAU basketball is a team sport that focuses on individual advancement. the reason to play for every individual is to either get better or get recruited or both. There very rarely are many team goals by the players.
Old 04-24-18, 03:34 PM
Freshman

uncledru is on a distinguished road
It feels like players and parents are focused on "I" instead of "team". I remember when good AAU programs started with the same team at a young age and they grew up together playing all the way thorough high school, at least it appeared that way. Now teams can not build any team unity because players come and go like the wind.
Old 04-26-18, 03:57 PM
All District

Localfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledru View Post
It feels like players and parents are focused on "I" instead of "team". I remember when good AAU programs started with the same team at a young age and they grew up together playing all the way thorough high school, at least it appeared that way. Now teams can not build any team unity because players come and go like the wind.
Now you can't have more than 2 kids from the same school on a AAU team.
Old 04-26-18, 04:00 PM
All District

Localfan is on a distinguished road
AAU is and Individual Sport that you need a team to play lol.. The team should be made up of top guys in every position that have high basketball IQ's and are able to showcase their abilities.
Old 04-27-18, 08:54 AM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
Now you can't have more than 2 kids from the same school on a AAU team.
I know this is true in Ohio. Is this nationwide?
Old 04-27-18, 09:02 AM
All Ohio

Ursuline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
It's not true nationwide. Georgia does not prohibit more than two players being on one AAU team.
Old 04-27-18, 09:04 AM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursuline View Post
It's not true nationwide. Georgia does not prohibit more than two players being on one AAU team.
Thanks.
Old 04-27-18, 09:21 AM
All Ohio

Ursuline
A relative of mine was faced with this situation this spring. Be a contributor for a top team or be the focal point of a lessor team. Since he was a role player playing behind several teammates at his position that hold high major offers, his family chose the lessor team. He has played well against stacked teams in tournaments and has caught the attention of several D1 teams.

To me it doesn't make sense to play for one of these stacked shoe deal teams unless you know you're going to get sufficient PT. I have seen some kids that have D1 talent but come off of the bench for a loaded high school team AND also come off the bench for a loaded AAU team. It makes no sense to me.
Old 04-27-18, 02:36 PM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
West Virginia can have more then 2. Can be a whole team.
Old 05-08-18, 11:36 AM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
I had a D1 college coach give me the advice to have my child play for the best team that he or she can be a significant contributor on. If the goal is to get recruited the goal should be exposure (ability and hard work go without saying). Ultimately the more high profile the team the more eyes the player will have for them. Problem is if you're simply a bit player on that type of team you may not be getting enough playing time for college coach to adequately scout you then you and those offers aren't likely to come. The ideal situation is playing on the highest profile team possible that you can contribute or play on a lesser team that will play against highest level competition that an give the scouts the ability to see you against the highest level of competition possible.
Old 05-09-18, 11:28 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Leading scorer...obviously..have a couple of liars on here. You do not get on Sportscenter for throwing skip passes to the stars...
Old 05-15-18, 11:19 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
AAU is full of shis! Parents are crazy nuts! They want their kids to be the man without practice or discipline. They sit there and scream at these coaches to turn water into wine with these kids. I rather my kid get coached up in a AAU program that is teaching the kids how to play as a team. Basketball is a team sport! AAU should be looking for coaches that teach the fundamentals of the game and give them knowledge of the game. Then college coaches will come and watch these tournament games with some excitement and joy!
Old 05-16-18, 06:56 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Quote:
Ohio has one of the most restrictive rules...almost all states around us have no limitations or more loose ones.
Old 05-17-18, 06:28 AM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Unless things changed recently, I thought the "2 on a team" rule starts in 7th grade in Ohio.
Old 05-22-18, 07:23 AM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Danvers View Post
Unless things changed recently, I thought the "2 on a team" rule starts in 7th grade in Ohio.
Unless it changed in the last year or so, the two on a team starts with 9th grade.
Old 05-22-18, 05:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
Unless it changed in the last year or so, the two on a team starts with 9th grade.
The 3 programs I know very well start the this rule in 7th grade. Maybe they choose to start early? Not sure. In my AAU experience it was always 7th grade.
Old 05-25-18, 09:44 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Danvers View Post
It starts in the 7th grade
Old 06-21-18, 05:10 PM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
I had a D1 college coach give me the advice to have my child play for the best team that he or she can be a significant contributor on. If the goal is to get recruited the goal should be exposure (ability and hard work go without saying). Ultimately the more high profile the team the more eyes the player will have for them. Problem is if you're simply a bit player on that type of team you may not be getting enough playing time for college coach to adequately scout you then you and those offers aren't likely to come. The ideal situation is playing on the highest profile team possible that you can contribute or play on a lesser team that will play against highest level competition that an give the scouts the ability to see you against the highest level of competition possible.
"play for the best team that he or she can be a significant contributor" - great advice and couldn't agree more