Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-18, 09:24 AM
Junior Varsity

Tigercadet03
Ohio middle school rules are garbage. The whole purpose of middle school wrestling should be to get better and get good matches. A parent should be able to take their child to an open tournament on a off weekend if they choose. The garbage rules are the reason that many of the best middle school wrestlers are in clubs and not wrestling for their schools.
Old 02-13-18, 09:29 AM
All District

goldberg is on a distinguished road
Who cares lol. Someone really is bent out of shape over what a Jr high kid is doing [wrestling] . You must have a boring life if that's what your doing. I hope the kid you snitched on tech falls your kid at Jr high state.
Old 02-13-18, 09:29 AM
Varsity

fullnelson is on a distinguished road
False
Old 02-13-18, 09:31 AM
Freshman

GoldenEagle23 is on a distinguished road
Smile

If the guy in charge is asked before hand and gives the okay then it's okay. Beag Rugg was asked and the answer was yes. The school and wrestler did everything right. If a wrestler wants to help their school and wrestle for their MS program instead of doing the travel I commend him/her. The rules weren't broken and the wrestler is doing his best to compete using the 17 team points allotted to his team to get better and improve on their skills.
Old 02-13-18, 09:36 AM
Varsity

Medina smoke is on a distinguished road
See a few club kids join their school team just in time for twinsburg tourment
Old 02-13-18, 09:41 AM
All District

galewrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_beast View Post
At the end of the day, 90% of parents have NO clue about infractions or OHSAA rules. Probably a MAJORITY of Jr High Coaches have NO CLUE

And if you..MOST of you REALLY want to be "RULE" followers, how many of your Jr High Coaches coach your kids at DISTRICTS? More than I care to count!
Actually this year, MS coaches are allowed to coach at OAC. At least one dumb rule down, now only 488 more to go.
Old 02-13-18, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
No let keep the "club" Jr high kids out of their school programs. What would be the benefit there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
Can somebody explain the logic behind the rule to me?

I do not understand why my son should have to choose between, say, representing his state on a team at national dual events, or wrestling at OAC districts, vs. competing for his JR high team. There is no state sanctioned JR high state championship event, so there is no conflict there.

Additionally, I believe that having "club kids" in the scholastic junior high rooms could help improve the kids who aren't normally exposed to that level...which in turn could help with retention, recruiting for the future, etc. I think there are many things that the scholastic team could teach him, and probably vice versa.

He will follow the rules, but I guess I don't really understand them.
Old 02-13-18, 10:41 AM
All District

BraveBuck1 is on a distinguished road
No wonder there are so many dirtbags in the stands at wrestling tournaments. And why kids burnout so quickly before ever getting to high school. There are rules in sports for a reason....and in life. 100% agree there are plenty of rules that need changed or interpreted correctly, but most are in place for a reason. If coaches cannot follow the rules or are unfamiliar with them, then they should not be coaching. If your child is involved in wrestling, then the parent should familiarize themselves with the rules. You would think people might teach and preach morals and doing things the right way, yet far too often kids are cheating at Alpha/Hydration, forging skin forms, etc at the urging or direction of an adult who should know better at the high school level.

Seems pretty simple...wrestle for your middle school until the completion of the season or wrestle for your club. There should be school meetings with AD's to discuss the rules as our school district mandates and we fill out plenty of forms. There are plenty of opportunities to wrestle year round and see the best of the best within the rulebooks. And there should not be problems if someone calls out those that blatantly disregard the rules. Many of these kids sadly need protected from their own parents who always have their "best interest" in mind.
Old 02-13-18, 10:52 AM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBuck1 View Post
No wonder there are so many dirtbags in the stands at wrestling tournaments. And why kids burnout so quickly before ever getting to high school. There are rules in sports for a reason....and in life. 100% agree there are plenty of rules that need changed or interpreted correctly, but most are in place for a reason. If coaches cannot follow the rules or are unfamiliar with them, then they should not be coaching. If your child is involved in wrestling, then the parent should familiarize themselves with the rules. You would think people might teach and preach morals and doing things the right way, yet far too often kids are cheating at Alpha/Hydration, forging skin forms, etc at the urging or direction of an adult who should know better at the high school level.

Seems pretty simple...wrestle for your middle school until the completion of the season or wrestle for your club. There should be school meetings with AD's to discuss the rules as our school district mandates and we fill out plenty of forms. There are plenty of opportunities to wrestle year round and see the best of the best within the rulebooks. And there should not be problems if someone calls out those that blatantly disregard the rules. Many of these kids sadly need protected from their own parents who always have their "best interest" in mind.
Old 02-13-18, 11:02 AM
Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Seems pretty simple...wrestle for your middle school until the completion of the season or wrestle for your club.
It is pretty simple. So most kids wrestle for the "club" or in "club" events. Middle school wrestling definitely suffers because of it. I also would argue that the "club" kids are worse off because of it. In fact, if somebody can explain to me how anyone benefits from it, I am all ears.

I encourage my children to follow the rules...but I also encourage them to think independently and question authority.
Old 02-13-18, 11:04 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Old 02-13-18, 11:05 AM
All District

doublesgalore is on a distinguished road
The issue becomes when kids start bouncing between scholastic teams and clubs teams throughout the season (which they are not supposed to do). I have no problem with the overall level of competition being raised at middle school events when a scholastic team has a few club kids, I just know as a coach I could not tell another kid, who I have coached all year, that he is out of the lineup to make room for a kid who is essentially there to score more points.
This issue being raised in this thread is pretty much a non-issue though. Most of the junior high season scholastic season is complete so there should not be an issue of if that "club wrestler" returns to his scholastic team.
If coaches want to play that game of borrowing wrestlers who they have never coached for a scholastic tournament, then that is on them. At the end of the day the job of a middle school coach is to recruit kids, and make them prepared for high school.
Old 02-13-18, 11:12 AM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
So after comparing posts #22 & #23 above, what is the "Rule"? The Rule as written? The Rule as applied? The Rule as interpreted in an email from the OHSAA?
Anybody else notice this problem? So it is a bit harsh to say that If coaches cannot follow the rules... then they should not be coaching. No problem with a statement like: "If coaches cannot follow clearly written and applied rules then they should not be coaching."

Last edited by innoshape; 02-13-18 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-13-18, 11:13 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by severs0801 View Post
And here is the reason why PA wrestling is deeper and better. And why MS wrestling in Ohio is a joke.
100% agree. I guess we're just overbearing dad dirtbags.
Old 02-13-18, 11:18 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is pretty simple. So most kids wrestle for the "club" or in "club" events. Middle school wrestling definitely suffers because of it. I also would argue that the "club" kids are worse off because of it. In fact, if somebody can explain to me how anyone benefits from it, I am all ears.

I encourage my children to follow the rules...but I also encourage them to think independently and question authority.
So you think that club kids coming into a OHSAA middle school sanctioned event, and wiping the mat with kids who just started wrestling, is benefiting someone? Middle school wrestling is not suffering because of the lack of club kids.
Old 02-13-18, 11:33 AM
All District

BraveBuck1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What I think is great is that we have two avenues to hopefully keep kids involved in wrestling longer with the hope it brings them into the high school room. For the middle school hammer, they should elect to wrestle club for Buxton, Burnett etc and wrestle the national events where they see comparable talent. That is how they benefit. They miss representing their school, and pinning everyone in 20 seconds most likely.

For the lower level kid, middle school can be a great introduction to wrestling and gives them a chance to represent the school, be involved, and hopefully learn the sport to succeed at the high school level.

There are plenty of ways for these kids to interact and be involved in both Club and with school if they choose to and all year long, just within the rules in place. High school programs will benefit having both these types of kids in their program.
Old 02-13-18, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

So if my kid wants to wrestle with his friend on the middle school team. Rolls thru the season by pinning every kid in the first period, I as his Dad should be okay with that. I shouldn't be allowed to have him go get 15 to 20 high level national matches to make sure he is being pushed. It forces kids to wrestle club, this is 70 to 80% of the reason they change HS. No relationship developed.
Needs to be like PA. 99% of the parents I know pick quality over quantity. 25 to 30 MS matches and 15 to 20 club is not over doing it.

How many Jr. high champs wrestled for their school. 1 kids from 2017, and a 3rd place that I can think of(im only good with upper weights). I bet there is no more than 10 to 15 total placers.

It needs to change if MS wrestling is going to get better. Our goal was always to get ready for HS.....MS didn't matter but kids need to hang out with friends also.

Quote:

Old 02-13-18, 11:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
So you think that club kids coming into a OHSAA middle school sanctioned event, and wiping the mat with kids who just started wrestling, is benefiting someone? Middle school wrestling is not suffering because of the lack of club kids.
No but I'm sure more teams could travel. Philo, Jr high Powerade needs to mix or let the jump in and out as needed.
Old 02-13-18, 11:46 AM
Varsity

fullnelson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercadet03 View Post
Ohio middle school rules are garbage. The whole purpose of middle school wrestling should be to get better and get good matches. A parent should be able to take their child to an open tournament on a off weekend if they choose. The garbage rules are the reason that many of the best middle school wrestlers are in clubs and not wrestling for their schools.
I believe that MS programs have a lot to offer the sport of wrestling. ALL MS coaches are all required to be properly certified in the fundamentals of coaching, first aid, sudden cardiac arrest, concussion protocol and have passed FBI/BCI background checks. Furthermore, MS wrestlers are expected/required to meet grade requirements, pass at least 5 subjects and maintain a certain GPA, all governed by the OHSAA. None of this, to my knowledge, is required to wrestle club.
Although the OHSAA has it's flaws, it has determined that MS kids should wrestle no more than 17pts on their schedule (about 20-30 matches) and maintain the academic standards mentioned above. I personally agree with that.

Most club teams have no interest in these rules. In fact, some use these rules to draw kids FROM their MS teams with promises of out of state trips, big tournaments and 50+ matches. Most have no idea how their kids are doing in school either academically or behaviorally. I'm sure some do but most do not. Many times the emphasis is on winning wrestling matches and not on what the sport of wrestling can do for the development of the child. This, along with many other factors, is contributing to the decline in numbers.

So, I understand that you think MS wrestling is garbage. But my son wrestled youth (never more than 30 matches/yr) then wrestled for his MS team, then after the MS season was over, went to OAC districts and state and is now a senior returning All-Ohioan and being recruited to wrestle in college. He has also played baseball every spring since LL. All along the way, he had great men coaching him. I have a different opinion about MS wrestling.

The fact is, what we are currently doing is not working. If it was, there would be more kids wrestling, not less. You can keep saying that kids today are lazy and their not as tough and so on. Those are excuses for not wanting to dig deeper to find the root of the problem. And, if that were true, why the consistent increase in the number of girls wrestling?
Old 02-13-18, 11:49 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
I think having club kids in the MS room would improve the wrestling of the kids that just started. I also think it would teach the club kids about community, working on a team that is not "elite", and many other things.

Perhaps MS wrestling where you are is not suffering, but here it is not very good (on balance). And it definitely carries over to the high schools too.
Old 02-13-18, 11:54 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullnelson View Post
I believe that MS programs have a lot to offer the sport of wrestling. ALL MS coaches are all required to be properly certified in the fundamentals of coaching, first aid, sudden cardiac arrest, concussion protocol and have passed FBI/BCI background checks. Furthermore, MS wrestlers are expected/required to meet grade requirements, pass at least 5 subjects and maintain a certain GPA, all governed by the OHSAA. None of this, to my knowledge, is required to wrestle club.
Although the OHSAA has it's flaws, it has determined that MS kids should wrestle no more than 17pts on their schedule (about 20-30 matches) and maintain the academic standards mentioned above. I personally agree with that.

Most club teams have no interest in these rules. In fact, some use these rules to draw kids FROM their MS teams with promises of out of state trips, big tournaments and 50+ matches. Most have no idea how their kids are doing in school either academically or behaviorally. I'm sure some do but most do not. Many times the emphasis is on winning wrestling matches and not on what the sport of wrestling can do for the development of the child. This, along with many other factors, is contributing to the decline in numbers.

So, I understand that you think MS wrestling is garbage. But my son wrestled youth (never more than 30 matches/yr) then wrestled for his MS team, then after the MS season was over, went to OAC districts and state and is now a senior returning All-Ohioan and being recruited to wrestle in college. He has also played baseball every spring since LL. All along the way, he had great men coaching him. I have a different opinion about MS wrestling.

The fact is, what we are currently doing is not working. If it was, there would be more kids wrestling, not less. You can keep saying that kids today are lazy and their not as tough and so on. Those are excuses for not wanting to dig deeper to find the root of the problem. And, if that were true, why the consistent increase in the number of girls wrestling?
Well said...some more of the reasons that I think it makes sense to allow kids to wrestle for BOTH their MS team AND Buxton or Burnett or whoever - preferably OHIO.
Old 02-13-18, 12:56 PM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
Sanction an event. Make a certain % of the season mandatory (90% probably a good start point)to be able to wrestle the post season, and let them do both. The club kids will make the room better and local events more fun to watch since more hammers would rejoin the school team. and the non club kids will be introduced to more offseason opportunities as their wrestling world opens up. They can’t do any clubs in h.s. During the season. Let them learn/ compete as much as possible while the gettins’ good. Just my opinion/idea.
Old 02-13-18, 01:02 PM
All Region

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What I think is great is that we have two avenues to hopefully keep kids involved in wrestling longer with the hope it brings them into the high school room. For the middle school hammer, they should elect to wrestle club for Buxton, Burnett etc and wrestle the national events where they see comparable talent. That is how they benefit. They miss representing their school, and pinning everyone in 20 seconds most likely.

For the lower level kid, middle school can be a great introduction to wrestling and gives them a chance to represent the school, be involved, and hopefully learn the sport to succeed at the high school level.

There are plenty of ways for these kids to interact and be involved in both Club and with school if they choose to and all year long, just within the rules in place. High school programs will benefit having both these types of kids in their program.

In rural areas there are generally no clubs and to get to a club would b a pretty good drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-18, 01:20 PM
Junior Varsity

janetburnett is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullnelson View Post

WOW. So the majority of middle school club parents are ignorant, irresponsible, win-at-all-costs folks that have no respect for rules. I'm not sure I've read a more biased post. How exactly is it that you know so much about the club parents and the behavior and academics of their children? Or is it just the assumption that, even though a kid has been wrestling from a young age, or has a natural talent, or doesn't have a very good jr. high coach, that he MUST be a bad kid because he wrestles club? Shame on these kids for trying to excel and prepare for high school. The fact of the matter is most of these kids are MORE disciplined, because they've always had to be. They time manage at a younger age because they're doing more than the average kid by going to extra practices. They're doing homework in the car on the way to practice. They're taking it with them on road trips. They're missing school to compete nationally, which most schools have to approve - they won't with kids that aren't getting the grades. But bottom line, most kids that are competing on a national level at the jr. high ages are probably looking to take their wrestling into college. And most will know at that point that wrestling alone isn't going to get them into college. Grades become paramount at the jr high level. So to say that most of us don't know what our kids are doing academically or behaviorally is just insane. We don't need eligibility rules to tell us how our kids are doing - we're still parenting.

All that being said, there are definitely benefits to wrestling in middle school. I wish my boys would have been able to. I think they would have had fun. I also think that more of their friends would have participated and perhaps gone on to wrestle in high school. But they needed to complete at a higher level, and our state does not allow them to do both. That is the fact. I think our rules are hurting the sport in the state of Ohio, and definitely drawing a heavy line between average and elite. By and large, an average, 1st or 2nd year middle school wrestler isn't going to see an elite wrestler until OAC. And when they do, they're going to be terribly discouraged. If they worked with better wrestlers on a daily basis, and competed against them over the course of the season, I believe they would get better, and there would be a better chance of retaining them in high school. We need to close the gap between the elite and the average, or we will continue lose kids. I'd like to see the average kids get better. But we can shut the clubs down and take away that advantage. And watch Ohio wrestling become average.
Old 02-13-18, 01:30 PM
All District

CoachHoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
Completely inaccurate. This is exactly why no one should ever look to a forum for advice about eligibility.

Two parts of the 2017-18 Wrestling Manual for 7th-8th Grades apply.
They are:

Because there are no OHSAA state tournament for middle school athletics, there is no “non- interscholastic date” for middle school athletics. An athlete may join a team at any point that a school permits and may compete in non-interscholastic events until they compete for the school team. If a student-athlete participates in a non-interscholastic event after they have participated for their school team, the student-athlete is not eligible to return to the school team for the remainder of that season.

Every year, many 7-8th grade athletes participate in the “Junior High District and State Tournaments” at the conclusion of their school season. Please remember that these tournaments are NOT interscholastic events. The junior high tournaments are NOT sanctioned nor supported by the OHSAA.
This is what is written but I am hearing is not actually followed. Middle school wrestling was a topic of discussion at last night's NE Coaches meeting. There needs to be some clarity on how club teams should conduct themselves in order to help preserve the sport's integrity as well as the strength of public middle school programs.
I have read and heard about how the U.S. will soon be like the European model of sports, which seems to benefit the financially stable. I do not believe that this is the direction that we want to go. More discussion to be had at the state level soon.
Old 02-13-18, 01:32 PM
All American

Quote:
I think having club kids in the MS room would improve the wrestling of the kids that just started. I also think it would teach the club kids about community, working on a team that is not "elite", and many other things.

Perhaps MS wrestling where you are is not suffering, but here it is not very good (on balance). And it definitely carries over to the high schools too.
Club kids don't want to come to the middle school practice room.
Old 02-13-18, 02:49 PM
All District

gitsum is on a distinguished road
My son has wrestled club for many yrs now. We don't live in a hotbed of wrestling so for yrs now we have spent a lot of time in the car to get him to where he needed to be. Our family and him have made a lot of sacrifices to get him where he is. Its not for everybody and not every kid wants to do it and that's fine. Its his 8th grade yr and the kids that he goes to school with and people in our area had never seen him wrestle. Me and him both agreed it would be great to have 1 yr to do so before high school. The kids on his team were excited and so was he. He does travel with Ohio National team that I helped create to keep our top kids wrestling for our state in National events instead of making others states look good and its been a great success. 2 of the events were before his school season started and only 1 conflict at end of January.

From what the Jr coaches told me he was a tremendous help to the other kids on the team and it was a great all around situation for the team. He motivated kids to get better. I don't think he got scored on in any of the school matches so he really didn't benefit wrestling wise but he loved helping the other kids get better and being part of the school with his friends. Then came the 1 conflicting event and he had to quit the school team as he needed national level matches for his sake too and he already committed for that event. Of course as he has been a target before, by that Sunday night the stalkers were emailing and talking to get him and school in trouble but he didn't wrestle for them again. It probably cost them a league title to which he feels bad about for his team. Now as a parent what do I do? I could see if he was missing every other event but 1 event for your state team? There should be a little room for this situation.

How is this helping our sport? Its making kids choose and it doesn't have to be that way. I will definitely agree with Janet Burnett as well. Most of your top level kids are not just good at wrestling but are usually great students and great representatives to our sport. I have coached many of them and been around their parents. Why cant we have our cake and eat it too if it helps the school kids and Ohio wrestling?

Jason Ours
Old 02-13-18, 03:05 PM
All Region

wads1107 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Warner View Post
Mic drop........the main question is, why is this kid wrestling for a middle school team? Complete waste of time.
Not all MS programs are a waste of time.
Wadsworth hosts an elite dual team tournament every year where we invite clubs to participate. We follow OHSAA weight classes and rules. Team who have participated are BTWC, North Akron, Titian, Moeller, Golden Cross, Westshore Lake Catholic, Brescksville, Shamrock.... We also host a JH GIT with teams from across he state of Ohio. We wrestle as tough if not tougher schedule than most clubs.

You dont see Wadsworth kids wrestling for clubs. We bring the competition to Wadsworth. There is something to be said about wrestling for your school.

Last edited by wads1107; 02-13-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 03:26 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitsum View Post
My son has wrestled club for many yrs now. We don't live in a hotbed of wrestling so for yrs now we have spent a lot of time in the car to get him to where he needed to be. Our family and him have made a lot of sacrifices to get him where he is. Its not for everybody and not every kid wants to do it and that's fine. Its his 8th grade yr and the kids that he goes to school with and people in our area had never seen him wrestle. Me and him both agreed it would be great to have 1 yr to do so before high school. The kids on his team were excited and so was he. He does travel with Ohio National team that I helped create to keep our top kids wrestling for our state in National events instead of making others states look good and its been a great success. 2 of the events were before his school season started and only 1 conflict at end of January.

From what the Jr coaches told me he was a tremendous help to the other kids on the team and it was a great all around situation for the team. He motivated kids to get better. I don't think he got scored on in any of the school matches so he really didn't benefit wrestling wise but he loved helping the other kids get better and being part of the school with his friends. Then came the 1 conflicting event and he had to quit the school team as he needed national level matches for his sake too and he already committed for that event. Of course as he has been a target before, by that Sunday night the stalkers were emailing and talking to get him and school in trouble but he didn't wrestle for them again. It probably cost them a league title to which he feels bad about for his team. Now as a parent what do I do? I could see if he was missing every other event but 1 event for your state team? There should be a little room for this situation.

How is this helping our sport? Its making kids choose and it doesn't have to be that way. I will definitely agree with Janet Burnett as well. Most of your top level kids are not just good at wrestling but are usually great students and great representatives to our sport. I have coached many of them and been around their parents. Why cant we have our cake and eat it too if it helps the school kids and Ohio wrestling?

Jason Ours
This. Exactly. My (younger) son has been fortunate enough to be on teams with Logan, Brenden, Nate, and many other club kids. They are GREAT KIDS and I consider them to be INVALUABLE role models for my boy.

Keeping them away from positively impacting the kids in most normal MS programs is a travesty, in my opinion. And I believe Mr. Severs is correct when he says this is part of what drives the “club” kids to go to different high schools than where they are from.

Last edited by LowCrotch; 02-13-18 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Spelling auto-correct
Old 02-13-18, 03:54 PM
All American

Quote:
This. Exactly. My (younger) son has been fortunate enough to be on teams with Logan, Brenden, Nate, and many other club kids. They are GREAT KIDS and I consider them to be INVALUABLE role models for my boy.

Keeping them away from positively impacting the kids in most normal MS programs is a travesty, in my opinion. And I believe Mr. Severs is correct when he says this is part of what drives the “club” kids to go to different high schools than where they are from.
Who is "keeping them away"? I'm sure no one has told a club kid to not come to the middle school practice. Then when they are done there, they can go to their club practice. There are no rules against that.