Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-18, 06:48 PM
Freshman

Matmen127 is on a distinguished road
To Report or Not To Report that is the question here

Middle school wrestler completes at a District prior to the regular season being over. 🤔🤔🤔 Is it ethical? Who’s to blame?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 07:02 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matmen127 View Post
Middle school wrestler completes at a District prior to the regular season being over. 🤔🤔🤔 Is it ethical? Who’s to blame?
Pretty sure that’s allowed so long as they don’t go back to scholastic team. If season ended 2/10 for example, they could do opens anytime they want, but that ends their scholastic eligibility.

So far as I know, the punishment would be at the scholastic level, not the club level. And since Ms is done now, not sure what good it would do.

If anything, I’d start with contacting the scholastic coach. Make sure they know the rules moving forward, but also, it’s doubtful he even knew. (Parent prob took kid)
Old 02-12-18, 07:03 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Oh No! You should absolutely be a SNITCH. I am sure you will feel soooo much better! How about you mind your own business and worry about real things?
Old 02-12-18, 07:06 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
To Report or Not To Report that is the question here
That's the question?
Old 02-12-18, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
If the middle school competing wrestler goes to a NON-SCHOLASTIC event, which OAC district is, then they cannot compete further in scholastic competition (i.e. matches) per OHSAA regulations.

The punishment would happen at the middle school scholastic level, though I'm not 100% sure what the punishment would be.
Old 02-12-18, 07:56 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
Oh No! You should absolutely be a SNITCH. I am sure you will feel soooo much better! How about you mind your own business and worry about real things?
There is always that guy 👆. You probably teach your kids it’s ok to poach deer, cheat on their girlfriend, and smoke pot....as long as they don’t get caught. God forbid people actually follow the rules set forth to ensure equal opportunity to everyone.
Old 02-12-18, 08:04 PM
Varsity

Medina smoke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is always that guy 👆. You probably teach your kids it’s ok to poach deer, cheat on their girlfriend, and smoke pot....as long as they don’t get caught. God forbid people actually follow the rules set forth to ensure equal opportunity to everyone.
Nicely said

. “ do the right thing for the right reasons”

Last edited by Medina smoke; 02-12-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 08:05 PM
All District

Quote:
I actually consider you to be that guy. Mind your own business and save the complaining for serious stuff that actually carries some real weight in life. Totally for teaching my kids to follow the rules and to set good examples. What I don't teach them is to stick their nose in other people's business, unless it is truly serious. This is not serious fella. This is petty because most likely the rule breaker is at your kids weight in a youth sport and you want to spite them out of jealousy. The fact is that you put this on Yappi to stir the pot, hoping that your vague post would prompt someone else to throw the name out of the kid in question. Here is the reality, nobody else cares. It's a meaningless problem in the big picture. You are the only one who cares.
Old 02-12-18, 08:11 PM
Freshman

Matpatriot2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is always that guy . You probably teach your kids it’s ok to poach deer, cheat on their girlfriend, and smoke pot....as long as they don’t get caught. God forbid people actually follow the rules set forth to ensure equal opportunity to everyone.

Well said Matmen! Smokescreen is the same guy who thinks “redshirting” isn’t cheating and that it’s perfectly ok to make a kid repeat a grade to appease his overbearing fathers dreams of living through his child since he’s a loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-18, 08:21 PM
Freshman

Quote:
I actually consider you to be that guy. Mind your own business and save the complaining for serious stuff that actually carries some real weight in life. Totally for teaching my kids to follow the rules and to set good examples. What I don't teach them is to stick their nose in other people's business, unless it is truly serious. This is not serious fella. This is petty because most likely the rule breaker is at your kids weight in a youth sport and you want to spite them out of jealousy. The fact is that you put this on Yappi to stir the pot, hoping that your vague post would prompt someone else to throw the name out of the kid in question. Here is the reality, nobody else cares. It's a meaningless problem in the big picture. You are the only one who cares.
Oh yes...automatically go to the “you have something to gain” reasoning. For the record, I have no kids involved in this. It was brought up by another parent, and I specifically told them that “I would not want to be that guy” However since this is a “forum” to discuss what is happening in wrestling, please explain how this does not apply. Would it be different if a kid never certified at a weight for high school, yet competes at that weight. Who would see it, no one would ever know🤫. The post was not intended to stir the pot, more so to see what people think is too far. Where is the line in the sand drawn? Please enlighten us.
Old 02-12-18, 08:28 PM
All District

Quote:
Oh yes...automatically go to the “you have something to gain” reasoning. For the record, I have no kids involved in this. It was brought up by another parent, and I specifically told them that “I would not want to be that guy” However since this is a “forum” to discuss what is happening in wrestling, please explain how this does not apply. Would it be different if a kid never certified at a weight for high school, yet competes at that weight. Who would see it, no one would ever know🤫. The post was not intended to stir the pot, more so to see what people think is too far. Where is the line in the sand drawn? Please enlighten us.
Some people taddle on everything. Some don't. If it bothers you this much, tell on them. At the end of the day, nobody will probably care. May be sad, but it is probably true. I understand that you feel a rule is a rule, but unfortunately there will probably be a minimal result of action from the powers that be. However if it makes you feel better, report them.
Old 02-12-18, 08:37 PM
All District

intheknow
Snitches get Stitches!!

Old 02-12-18, 08:39 PM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some people taddle on everything. Some don't. If it bothers you this much, tell on them. At the end of the day, nobody will probably care. May be sad, but it is probably true. I understand that you feel a rule is a rule, but unfortunately there will probably be a minimal result of action from the powers that be. However if it makes you feel better, report them.
OHSAA very rarely does nothing if they find a rules infraction. If he is turned and OHSAA finds that he did do that, then OHSAA will probably suspend for part of the next season. The real issue isn't the whistle blower it is the parents and coaches allow their kids/students to beak the rules.
Old 02-12-18, 08:41 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
The real question is whether the wrestler competed for his school again after the outside event. If so, there could be an issue, but it's junior high and most seem to look the other way. My guess would be that the school would get the punishment over the wrestler for allowing him to come back.

Coach Root

Last edited by Coach Root; 02-13-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 09:00 PM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
And here is the reason why PA wrestling is deeper and better. And why MS wrestling in Ohio is a joke.
Old 02-12-18, 09:04 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by severs0801 View Post
And here is the reason why PA wrestling is deeper and better. And why MS wrestling in Ohio is a joke.
Nailed it!
Old 02-12-18, 09:13 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, nobody cares, that is why they have rules against it.
Old 02-12-18, 10:42 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Bringing this thread back to sanity...in all honesty matmen, can you answer this? Did the young man in question wrestle for his school AFTER districts? Not did the ms team still have events, did he wrestle for them in those events after? Bc again, I was first to respond, being at district is NOT a violation. The violationwould occur when he went back to the Ms team.

Just guessing, but I’m GUESSING this was brought up while at districts. “Hey, that kid wrestled for ____ school last weekend!” If true, that isn’t a violation of any rules.
Old 02-13-18, 12:37 AM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
At the end of the day, 90% of parents have NO clue about infractions or OHSAA rules. Probably a MAJORITY of Jr High Coaches have NO CLUE

And if you..MOST of you REALLY want to be "RULE" followers, how many of your Jr High Coaches coach your kids at DISTRICTS? More than I care to count!

This petty crap is GREAT for the sport. Jr High has such an impact on HS.

This crap is now rolling into youth with OYWL suspending kids for open tournaments etc.

God I hope my Grandchildren dont wrestle. Alot of soccer and cheerleading moms out there.
Old 02-13-18, 05:20 AM
All Region

szerszen is on a distinguished road
To get this back on topic....

A MS wrestler CAN wrestle at a district and return to his school team if he and his school had points available in their schedule. The District just becomes another tournament on their schedule.

So no need to worry at all, no one actually did anything wrong.
Old 02-13-18, 06:52 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerszen View Post

A MS wrestler CAN wrestle at a district and return to his school team if he and his school had points available in their schedule. The District just becomes another tournament on their schedule.

Not true. OAC district can not be on the schedule because they don’t follow OHSAA rules like 5 match limit.
Old 02-13-18, 07:09 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Completely inaccurate. This is exactly why no one should ever look to a forum for advice about eligibility.

Two parts of the 2017-18 Wrestling Manual for 7th-8th Grades apply.
They are:

Because there are no OHSAA state tournament for middle school athletics, there is no “non- interscholastic date” for middle school athletics. An athlete may join a team at any point that a school permits and may compete in non-interscholastic events until they compete for the school team. If a student-athlete participates in a non-interscholastic event after they have participated for their school team, the student-athlete is not eligible to return to the school team for the remainder of that season.

Every year, many 7-8th grade athletes participate in the “Junior High District and State Tournaments” at the conclusion of their school season. Please remember that these tournaments are NOT interscholastic events. The junior high tournaments are NOT sanctioned nor supported by the OHSAA.
Old 02-13-18, 07:11 AM
All Region

szerszen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Not true. OAC district can not be on the schedule because they don’t follow OHSAA rules like 5 match limit.
From Beau Rugg....

If you have points on your schedule that are available, and the wrestler has points, you may count the OAC qualifier as part of your schedule. If not, any wrestler that wrestles in the qualifier is ineligible for the school team.

Beau

Beau Rugg
Director of Officiating and Sport Management
brugg@ohsaa.org
P: 614-267-2502 x 111
Old 02-13-18, 07:48 AM
All District

Owen Warner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From Beau Rugg....

If you have points on your schedule that are available, and the wrestler has points, you may count the OAC qualifier as part of your schedule. If not, any wrestler that wrestles in the qualifier is ineligible for the school team.

Beau

Beau Rugg
brugg@ohsaa.org

Mic drop........the main question is, why is this kid wrestling for a middle school team? Complete waste of time.
Old 02-13-18, 08:10 AM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheknow View Post
Snitches get Stitches!!

or worse
Old 02-13-18, 08:31 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From Beau Rugg....

Beau

Beau Rugg
brugg@ohsaa.org
So the kid would have to forfeit out of his 6th+ match then and forego qualifying? OHSAA doesn't even allow exceptions for the 5 match rule for their own 1 day sectionals in HS.
Old 02-13-18, 08:34 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From Beau Rugg....

Beau

Beau Rugg
brugg@ohsaa.org
Wow! Beau Rugg going completely against the OHSAA Green Book rules. Not a good look. But then again, it doesn't look good when he allows every tournament to conduct night before weigh-ins with a simple call and excuse like high winds.
Old 02-13-18, 08:51 AM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
Matmen127:

So is everything crystal clear now?
Old 02-13-18, 09:10 AM
Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Can somebody explain the logic behind the rule to me?

I do not understand why my son should have to choose between, say, representing his state on a team at national dual events, or wrestling at OAC districts, vs. competing for his JR high team. There is no state sanctioned JR high state championship event, so there is no conflict there.

Additionally, I believe that having "club kids" in the scholastic junior high rooms could help improve the kids who aren't normally exposed to that level...which in turn could help with retention, recruiting for the future, etc. I think there are many things that the scholastic team could teach him, and probably vice versa.

He will follow the rules, but I guess I don't really understand them.
Old 02-13-18, 09:14 AM
All Region

swcoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
So the kid would have to forfeit out of his 6th+ match then and forego qualifying? OHSAA doesn't even allow exceptions for the 5 match rule for their own 1 day sectionals in HS.
you were wrong, it's okay, just let it go....