Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-18, 01:48 PM
All District

JeepCreep is on a distinguished road
OAC Divisional State

Now that the tournament registration has ended, when can we expect preseeds or brackets to be released?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 07:50 PM
Freshman

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
I would assume they will have something out when all the districts are done with.
Old 02-12-18, 10:07 PM
All American

OAC is on a distinguished road
Entries will be released the day prior to the event. We anticipate wrestlers dropping out due to illness, injury or conflict.

If you have a wrestler interested and would like to add him to the waiting list, please complete this form LINK
Old 02-13-18, 01:16 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArlie8 View Post
I would assume they will have something out when all the districts are done with.
Divisional State has no Districts.
Old 02-13-18, 01:17 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC View Post
Entries will be released the day prior to the event. We anticipate wrestlers dropping out due to illness, injury or conflict.

If you have a wrestler interested and would like to add him to the waiting list, please complete this form LINK
Thank you for answering.
Old 02-13-18, 01:37 AM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCreep View Post
Divisional State has no Districts.
Really?
Old 02-13-18, 01:38 AM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
So you can just sign up for State?
Old 02-13-18, 03:23 AM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
I thought someone was pulling my chain talking about OAC divisional state. Why are you capping with only 600 total kids for both MS and GS combined?

Having 600 kids in grade school would average 15/16 man brackets.
Having 600 kids in JH brackets on average would have only 11/12 man brackets.
But looks like both on same day and will be a total of only 600 kids between both GS and MS. So you have only 6/7 man bracket on average.

I'm not traveling 2+ hours for maybe a 6/7 man bracket and my kid may only see maybe one "hammer". ��

Last edited by roughedge; 02-13-18 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 07:28 AM
Junior Varsity

Oilers63 is on a distinguished road
this is a OAC money maker!!! just one more way to get money from us wrestlers and parents....... 1 tourney is sufficient.
Old 02-13-18, 08:02 AM
Freshman

heartsslayer2 is on a distinguished road
This will be interesting to see how many will be in brackets. I'd be willing to bet that there will be brackets with very few kids in them. I like the concept for Jr high but think it could be watered down. Oac should go by placers from the districts first instead of being wide open. Give placers and alternates the option to go to divisional state and just pay the $30 fee. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-13-18, 09:04 AM
Freshman

Madram02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsslayer2 View Post
This will be interesting to see how many will be in brackets. I'd be willing to bet that there will be brackets with very few kids in them. I like the concept for Jr high but think it could be watered down. Oac should go by placers from the districts first instead of being wide open. Give placers and alternates the option to go to divisional state and just pay the $30 fee. Just my 2 cents.
I like that idea. Myself I was worried that if my kid didn't qualify then I signed him up for that he would be part of the watering down of the field or the reason a more deserving kid didn't get in. The idea of giving placers the 1st option makes sense.
Old 02-14-18, 10:27 AM
Varsity

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers63 View Post
this is a OAC money maker!!! just one more way to get money from us wrestlers and parents....... 1 tourney is sufficient.
Let's face it, all youth wrestling tournaments are "Money Makers" in some way shape or form, from your local Biddy Novice Round Robin, to OHWay, OAC, Tulsa, Reno Worlds, VAC, Flo Nationals, S32, Fargo , take your pick, etc. .......And that's perfectly OK. It seems a lot of parents get way too hung up on defining on what is and what is not a youth state title. They chase rankings and prestige rather than viewing these as opportunities to compete, develop, and prepare kids for high school and beyond. It's been said many times, by people way smarter than I, that youth accolades are pretty much meaningless. Who really cares if Billy is a "OAC Divisional State Runner up" or a "NUWAY U-10 All American"? Sure it feels good (for parents), and may help a kid 's confidence in the short term, but just chasing trophies can be a hollow experience if not put into proper perspective. What does matter, is the growth that happens when when kids challenge themselves with competition at a level that allows them to improve they skills, develop good training habits, and learn what it takes to reach the "next level"- and whatever that level is should be unique to each kid and aligned to their goals and their capacity and desire to put in the necessary work to train and reach those goals. To me, that's the most important life lesson that wrestling can give a kid AND, wouldn't it be awesome if those life skills learned on the mat translated into their teen and adult life?

It's fantastic that there are so many opportunities in the state of Ohio for kids to find great competition at every level, and I see the Divisional State as just another opportunity to bring kids with similar goals together to compete. Obviously we all have to make choices about where we spend our time and money. If I had one complaint, I'd wish that competing organizations (OAC & OHWay) could find a way to work together and stagger the competition schedule so that big events are not scheduled on the same weekends (or even in the same month if possible). I think that would benefit all by increasing participation...

Last edited by LucMurphy134; 02-14-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 03:03 PM
Varsity

Crimsonblooded is on a distinguished road
It would be nice if district placer got an automatic entry to confirm, including 7th and 8th place. Then the rest of the field could get on the waiting list. Selected by possible sectional pts and seeding criteria.
Old 02-15-18, 03:28 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
I know we thought about divisional state but was going to wait until after JH district to decide.

Well, regardless if he wanted to or not it was filled the day after the first weekend of JH districts so it didn't matter.

I like the idea of giving district placers (1-8) the first option or "right of refusal" rather than an open sign up for divisional state.

At least for JH level since they are going into HS sooner where divisions matter.
Old 02-15-18, 03:39 PM
Varsity

Im thinking there is gonna be more than 600 kids. I would think they would use the waiting list to fill lacking brackets.
Old 02-15-18, 05:35 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers63 View Post
Someone making you go?
Old 02-15-18, 05:46 PM
All District

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Someone making you go?

Peer pressure
Old 02-15-18, 06:35 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Who freaking cares if it’s a money maker? If tough kids show up and your kid gets good matches in, who cares? Why moan and groan about MORE opportunities for kids to get high level matches in?
Old 02-16-18, 01:32 AM
All Ohio

My biggest concern is how many kids will be there? How good is the competition going to be? Love the idea if brackets can get to about 32 kids and get 8 to 10 hammers a weight class to go along with 8-10 to 2nd tier kids. I just think getting 16 to 20 quality kids to benefit my son would tough to do having 3 different division. But saying that it can be a great opportunity for the 2nd and 3rd tier kids. This another great opportunity for kids to get matches and get better and that is great.
Old 02-16-18, 11:25 AM
Junior Varsity

Akronviper is on a distinguished road
Its kind of hard to take just district winners because the point of this is to show the future High School Divisons. You could have 1 D3 District winner at 11-12 yr old 95#'s so by opening it to a larger group allows you to fill the divisions much easier.

I mean come on people its an optional tournament why all the crying, do it or dont haha........You are free to go Wrestle OHWAY if you feel OAC is just trying to take your money lol Its Youth, more matches the better and could be a good tune up for OAC States.

No one complains when they show up and have 11 kids in their OAC Districts now do they? I would rather drive 2 hours for a 5 man round robin than go 2 and out in the 32 man bracket at States right?
Old 02-16-18, 11:29 AM
Junior Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
I kinda wish they went to the separate divisions for the main state tournament/districts instead of putting in a new tournament.
Old 02-16-18, 11:30 AM
Junior Varsity

Also it seems OHWAY Central Regional is strategically placed that the same day lol
Old 02-16-18, 08:43 PM
Varsity

Not just district winners but all top 8 placers from 8 districts and divide them by divisions then add other wrestlers. But still keep the all division state tournament as is.
Old 02-16-18, 09:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronviper View Post
Its kind of hard to take just district winners because the point of this is to show the future High School Divisons. You could have 1 D3 District winner at 11-12 yr old 95#'s so by opening it to a larger group allows you to fill the divisions much easier.

I mean come on people its an optional tournament why all the crying, do it or dont haha........You are free to go Wrestle OHWAY if you feel OAC is just trying to take your money lol Its Youth, more matches the better and could be a good tune up for OAC States.

No one complains when they show up and have 11 kids in their OAC Districts now do they? I would rather drive 2 hours for a 5 man round robin than go 2 and out in the 32 man bracket at States right?
We said district placers not winners.
Old 02-16-18, 09:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
We said district placers not winners.
Thats what i meant, but 32 placers divided between their high school district could shake out to 20 d1, 10 d2 and 2 d3......still not enough kids lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-18, 09:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Thats what i meant, but 32 placers divided between their high school district could shake out to 20 d1, 10 d2 and 2 d3......still not enough kids lol

First right of refusal to district placers. Once past that if D3 is light onlyet D3 kids in. Problem solved.

Plus we are talking all placers, so 48 total for GS and 64 total for JH. Even give the alternates first right of refusal.
Old 02-16-18, 10:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
First right of refusal to district placers. Once past that if D3 is light onlyet D3 kids in. Problem solved.

Plus we are talking all placers, so 48 total for GS and 64 total for JH. Even give the alternates first right of refusal.
Thats fine, not sure how it matters though, took 4 months to get 600 kids and people are still complaining they will only get 14 kids in a bracket. Plus this weekend is the last Jr District and 2 weeks is the last grade school district, so not much time to fill after "first right of refusal", my point is quit whining.....go or dont, just quit whining about it lol

We signed up months ago before the first district, i know very few at our club are going. They actually since its the first year, gave first choice to people who answered a survey that they would be interested then opened it up to others, last month they were still half full. All you had to do is register for a district to qualify, sign up for both and if you change your mind you drop out.....they warned everyone all year it would will up fast which it didnt lol

Old 02-16-18, 10:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I would rather have my son go 2 and out with 2 good matches then do 5 or 6 man round robin and he blows the kids out. Cause if I know he went two and out both kids was hammers that he lost to. Losing lets me see what areas he needs to improve in before high school next year.
What is good for my kid may not be what's good for your kid though. I hate having 11 man districts but have to do them to get to AOC state.
Old 02-16-18, 10:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Thats fine, not sure how it matters though, took 4 months to get 600 kids and people are still complaining they will only get 14 kids in a bracket. Plus this weekend is the last Jr District and 2 weeks is the last grade school district, so not much time to fill after "first right of refusal", my point is quit whining.....go or dont, just quit whining about it lol

We signed up months ago before the first district, i know very few at our club are going. They actually since its the first year, gave first choice to people who answered a survey that they would be interested then opened it up to others, last month they were still half full. All you had to do is register for a district to qualify, sign up for both and if you change your mind you drop out.....they warned everyone all year it would will up fast which it didnt lol

Akronviper it just depends on the competition level of the 14 to 16 kids. If the competition is a super 32, Tulsa, VAC dual type bracket then I'm in. But being 1st year I think will take a few years to build this up. Now if we was in 2nd grade we would be there. I love the idea just wish they would of thought of this five years ago.
Old 02-16-18, 10:34 PM
Varsity

SteelMan is on a distinguished road
I think it could be a fun event...but my heartache with it is that it is in March. Seems stupid to have it so close to the real State event. If they did it in early December---I totally would have taken my kids.......