Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-18, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

Campolongo is on a distinguished road
NFHS survey --- Would you support these rule changes?

Another edition of the NFHS survey arrived in my inbox today. I've copied & pasted 11 "POTENTIAL" rule changes. They simply as you, YES or NO, would you support the following rule changes for 2018-19?

1. Allowing weigh-outs after the first night of a two-day event.

2. Eliminating the random draw and returning to starting dual meets at the 106-pound weight class.

3. Mandating that all member high schools schedule at least four basic dual meets to revive local interest in high school wrestling.

4. Allowing referees to wear gray-and-black stripe shirts during the regular season.

5. Reducing the number of weight classes to an odd number and eliminating the tie-breaking procedure.

6. Re-aligning the existing weight classes.

7. Setting different weight classes for sub-varsity wrestling.

8. Giving the referee the discretion to call an unsportsmanlike conduct call after a determined number of cautions, which could then cause a disqualification.

9. Reducing the number of weight classes for dual-meet competitions, while keeping the same number of weight classes for individual tournaments.

10. Adjusting the descent-rate portion of the weight certification program to allow wrestlers to weigh anywhere within the 1.5 percent per week descent rate.

Example: A wrestler who weighs 200 pounds on Saturday can weigh anywhere between 200 pounds and 197 pounds for the next week. This will prevent coaches from having to deal with the .1 and .01 of a pound as listed on the official weigh-in report.

11. To discourage forfeits and the practice of ducking competition during dual meets, requiring schools to submit rosters prior to a dual meet which could not be changed once submitted.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 01:18 PM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
I just answered this and thought some of the questions were kind of strange. I am a big fan of odd number of weight classes though for a simple resolution to tied duals.
Old 02-12-18, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
I filled my questionnaire in but, IMO, many of these really require more than a "yes" or "no".
I agree with Suplexer 130.
Old 02-12-18, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
1. Allowing weigh-outs after the first night of a two-day event. You can already do this in Ohio if you are inclined to do so.

2. Eliminating the random draw and returning to starting dual meets at the 106-pound weight class. Is this really an issue for people?

3. Mandating that all member high schools schedule at least four basic dual meets to revive local interest in high school wrestling. Not a fan of Big Brother telling me anything. So...team of 7 kids should have dual meets to grow interest?

4. Allowing referees to wear gray-and-black stripe shirts during the regular season. Again...do people care about this one way or another? Which color is more slimming? I vote for that

5. Reducing the number of weight classes to an odd number and eliminating the tie-breaking procedure. I am not a fan of taking anything away....100% we won't get it back, but unfortunately I am leaning this way...too many weights currently.

6. Re-aligning the existing weight classes. Yes, but with a coaches panel working on this...not NHFS doing it themselves.

7. Setting different weight classes for sub-varsity wrestling. We already do kinda....lots of match ups with kids as close as we can get

8. Giving the referee the discretion to call an unsportsmanlike conduct call after a determined number of cautions, which could then cause a disqualification.

9. Reducing the number of weight classes for dual-meet competitions, while keeping the same number of weight classes for individual tournaments. Exclude kid in 1 event but allow in another no thanks

10. Adjusting the descent-rate portion of the weight certification program to allow wrestlers to weigh anywhere within the 1.5 percent per week descent rate.

Example: A wrestler who weighs 200 pounds on Saturday can weigh anywhere between 200 pounds and 197 pounds for the next week. This will prevent coaches from having to deal with the .1 and .01 of a pound as listed on the official weigh-in report.

11. To discourage forfeits and the practice of ducking competition during dual meets, requiring schools to submit rosters prior to a dual meet which could not be changed once submitted. Uhhhh Nope. injuries & sickness for 1. getting matchups to win the dual is another. If a team pulls the FF game on you when they weighed a kid in on you in duals...don't schedule them in future.
Old 02-12-18, 05:14 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough

Currently OHSAA allows this through a "waiver" process. I think this should be allowed as a rule, as states are allowed to deviate during the individual tournament series anyway. Though weight integrity is cited with the second-day weigh-in, the extra time at a tournament site is not worth it for me (i.e. 10 AM day two start, 8 AM second day weigh-in, as opposed to merely getting there at say 9 AM after a weigh-out).

2. Eliminating the random draw and returning to starting dual meets at the 106-pound weight class.

I think this is stupid. I would like OHSAA to go the other way with team state, and start with a random weight class.

3. Mandating that all member high schools schedule at least four basic dual meets to revive local interest in high school wrestling.

Seems to me to be more of a state governance issue than a NFHS issue. From an Ohio standpoint, having more double duals or duals would be nice (tri's are bad as you either have to run them on some sort of two mat format or go three rounds and waste people's time). There's some "chicken or egg" in terms of this, as you need to have the team quality present to justify dual meets, because 55-15 type walkovers are bad for the sport just the same.

4. Allowing referees to wear gray-and-black stripe shirts during the regular season.

Seems to me again to be a state governance issue. Non-event. OHSAA has officials wearing them anyway.

5. Reducing the number of weight classes to an odd number and eliminating the tie-breaking procedure.

Agreed, go down to 13 or 11. I'd go to 13, 106-160 then 171/189/215/HVY

See above, though if you go to 11, you have to

7. Setting different weight classes for sub-varsity wrestling.

9. Reducing the number of weight classes for dual-meet competitions, while keeping the same number of weight classes for individual tournaments.

*Non-issue with the way Ohio does its weight management program*

11. To discourage forfeits and the practice of ducking competition during dual meets, requiring schools to submit rosters prior to a dual meet which could not be changed once submitted.[/QUOTE]

I like the concept of each team declaring the lineup and having less dependence on the coin toss for flexing. Flex based on weigh-ins but not the coin toss. Double blind the submission. Can change to a wrestler NOT listed on the submission (presumably a backup), i.e. no submitted wrestler can change weight classes.
Old 02-12-18, 05:45 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Yes.

Don't really care.

No.

YES PLEASE!

Would have to if you eliminate a class. Either way, this needs to happen. At the least, give us that middle class back.

NO! Non-issue.

No. Too many issues would be created by this.

11. To discourage forfeits and the practice of ducking competition during dual meets, requiring schools to submit rosters prior to a dual meet which could not be changed once submitted.
Not really sure what to think about this. After watching numerous tables on Sunday struggle to get kids on the mat, maybe this is a good idea just for the sake of organization. It's interesting, but seems a bit too restrictive.
Old 02-12-18, 07:19 PM
Freshman

ohwrestler is on a distinguished road
NFHS Survey

Wish they would change the near fall out of bounds changed to toes in bounds and be done with it.
No MMA shorts, just compression shorts and enforce TIGHT fitting shirts!