Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-18, 02:25 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Solon D1 District

My predictions for tomorrow's seeding:

1. Cleveland Central Catholic (15-3)
2. Garfield Heights (11-5)
3. Shaker Heights (12-6)
4. Twinsburg (15-4)
5. Maple Heights (12-7)
6. Kenston (13-6)
7. Warren Harding (11-6)
8. Euclid (9-8)
9. Nordonia (8-11)
10. University School (6-11)
11. Hudson (3-14)
12. John Adams (4-9)
13. Bedford (0-18)

1 and 2 may change, as Garfield Heights has an impressive resume, beating Shaker Heights, Cleveland Central Catholic, SVSM, and Lorain.

I have Cleveland Central Catholic #1 because they also have an impressive resume, beating Cornerstone and St. Ignatius (both of who beat Garfield Heights), VASJ, Lorain, and Brunswick.

Shaker Heights' has wins against Brush, Brunswick, Cleveland Heights, and Mentor. They're a solid #3.

#4, #5, and #6 were all a tossup between Twinsburg, Maple Heights, and Kenston. I'm giving Twinsburg the #4 due to their win against Stow. I think that Maple will get the #5 seed, but won't be surprised if Kenston gets it, due to their record.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-18, 04:07 AM
All World

warren west
Harding won at Maple Heights last Saturday?? Plus there best player had to sit out the first 11 games?
Old 02-11-18, 07:32 AM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post

3. Shaker Heights (12-6)
4. Twinsburg (15-4)
5. Maple Heights (12-7)
6. Kenston (13-6)
7. Warren Harding (11-6)
8. Euclid (9-8)
9. Nordonia (8-11)
11. Hudson (3-14)
12. John Adams (4-9)
13. Bedford (0-18)

1 and 2 may change, as Garfield Heights has an impressive resume, beating Shaker Heights, Cleveland Central Catholic, SVSM, and Lorain.

I have Cleveland Central Catholic #1 because they also have an impressive resume, beating Cornerstone and St. Ignatius (both of who beat Garfield Heights), VASJ, Lorain, and Brunswick.

Shaker Heights' has wins against Brush, Brunswick, Cleveland Heights, and Mentor. They're a solid #3.

#4, #5, and #6 were all a tossup between Twinsburg, Maple Heights, and Kenston. I'm giving Twinsburg the #4 due to their win against Stow. I think that Maple will get the #5 seed, but won't be surprised if Kenston gets it, due to their record.

What do you guys think?
Generally not a bad assessment. GH also Beat Benedictine while CCC lost and CCC also beat SVSM.

I'd move Euclid up maybe to 6. But at that point it really won't matter. **see seeds 1-4.

Shaker will be heard from in this district and don't be shocked if they end up at CSU.

Don't be surprised if GH doesn't get the #1 seed simply because other coaches don't like Sonny and how his roster is compiled. Not saying it will happen or that's even truly the case but....don't be naive in your thinking that it also COULD be why.

In any event, a lot of basketball yet to be played. Good luck to all teams.
Old 02-11-18, 08:39 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
1. Garfield Hts (Head to head wins over shaker and CCC, 2 out of state losses to national powers)
2. CCC
3. Shaker
4. Twinsburg
5. Euclid (one of the toughest schedules in the state) (Losses Solon 2, Shaker 2, Garfield, VASJ, Brunswick) playing well.
6. Warren Harding
7. Maple
8. Kenston
9. Nordonia
10. University
11. Hudson
12. Adams
13. Bedford
Old 02-11-18, 09:20 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Euclid will get the 4 seed based on how they are playing. The Panthers are much improved but I question the "one of the toughest schedules in the state " statement. Their schedule is no tougher than what any other team in the conference played. There are several teams right in their backyard with much tougher schedules. Benny, Joe's, Cornerstone, Garfield, Shaker, Ed's and Mentor all play way tougher out of conference games.
Old 02-11-18, 09:47 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I think Euclid will get the 4 seed based on how they are playing. The Panthers are much improved but I question the "one of the toughest schedules in the state " statement. Their schedule is no tougher than what any other team in the conference played. There are several teams right in their backyard with much tougher schedules. Benny, Joe's, Cornerstone, Garfield, Shaker, Ed's and Mentor all play way tougher out of conference games.
Agreed, but a much tougher schedule than the teams that with better records in the district. statement retracted ha.
Old 02-11-18, 10:03 AM
All World

Not sure any of the top teams want to see Euclid right now. Kids are buying in and playing hard. Hardest thing to learn is how to win and they are figuring it out. Pretty dangerous squad. Pre season it was Garfield and Shaker and everybody else. I guess CCC and Euclid did not get the message.
Old 02-11-18, 10:09 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Not sure any of the top teams want to see Euclid right now. Kids are buying in and playing hard. Hardest thing to learn is how to win and they are figuring it out. Pretty dangerous squad. Pre season it was Garfield and Shaker and everybody else. I guess CCC and Euclid did not get the message.
I was going to say the same thing. The top 3 teams all don't really want to see Euclid in the district semifinals. Not likely worried about many of the other teams, although Harding seems to be playing well. (I don't know anything about them.)
Old 02-11-18, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Better be worried about twinsburg,
Old 02-11-18, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

Twinsburg is doing really well this season, and still has a shot at the Suburban League American title.

Their best win is over Stow and they swept Brecksville, who is also a good team. Only non-conference opponent that's a test is Cornerstone, and they don't play them until Tuesday.

It will be difficult, but if they have a night where they're on their A game against Central Catholic or Garfield Heights, I could see them pulling an upset and making it to the district final.
Old 02-11-18, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post

3. Shaker Heights (12-6)
4. Twinsburg (15-4)
5. Maple Heights (12-7)
6. Kenston (13-6)
7. Warren Harding (11-6)
8. Euclid (9-8)
9. Nordonia (8-11)
11. Hudson (3-14)
12. John Adams (4-9)
13. Bedford (0-18)
WGH closed their game against Maple Heights with a 20-2 run.
Old 02-11-18, 12:38 PM
All District

The funny thing is, the winner of this district should have been a foregone conclusion before the season even started with at least 6 Division 1 prospects residing on a single roster.

But 6 Division 1 kids still need coached. They still need to be guided through difficult circumstances when the stakes are much, much higher. And that could be the undoing of this team this year and maybe even next. Will be interesting to watch unfold for sure.

Solon is no cakewalk. And like one earlier poster stated. There are more than a few teams who can take them down.

For some reason, I still like Shaker. They have 3 dynamic players who all have different skill sets.

Don't pencil in GH to CSU just yet...
Old 02-11-18, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Warren G. Harding is 5th. I'll post the official seeds soon.
Old 02-11-18, 02:41 PM
All District

Gh is 1.
Old 02-11-18, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
Link:

http://nedab.org/boys-basketball-brackets/
Old 02-11-18, 02:49 PM
All District

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20625&not=13
Old 02-11-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Solon District Tournament (boys basketball)- Official Seeds

1. Garfield Heights
2. Cleveland Central Catholic
3. Shaker Heights
4. Twinsburg
5. Warren G. Harding
6. Maple Heights
7. Kenston
8. Euclid
9. Nordonia
10. University School
11. Cleveland John Adams
12. Hudson
13. Bedford

First Round Games
#9 Nordonia @ #8 Euclid
#13 Bedford @ #4 Twinsburg
#12 Hudson @ #5 Warren G. Harding
#10 University School #7 Kenston
#11 Cleveland John Adams @ #6 Maple Heights
Byes- #1 Garfield Heights, #2 Cleveland Central Catholic, #3 Shaker Heights

Second Round Games (highest seed at home)
Euclid-Nordonia winner @ #1 Garfield Heights
Twinsburg-Bedford winner vs. WGH-Hudson winner
Kenston-University School winner @ #2 Cleveland Central Catholic
Maple Heights-John Adams winner @ #3 Shaker Heights

3rd Round Games @ Solon
Garfield Heights-Euclid-Hudson winner vs. Twinsburg-WGH-Hudson-Bedford winner
Cleveland Central Catholic-Shaker Heights-Maple Heights-Kenston-University School-John Adams winner

4th Round
District Final @ Solon

Last edited by Worm02; 02-11-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 03:20 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
Solon District Tournament (boys basketball)- Official Seeds

1. Garfield Heights
2. Cleveland Central Catholic
3. Shaker Heights
4. Twinsburg
5. Warren G. Harding
6. Maple Heights
7. Kenston
8. Euclid
9. Nordonia
10. University School
11. Cleveland John Adams
12. Hudson
13. Bedford

First Round Games
#9 Nordonia @ #8 Euclid
#13 Bedford @ #4 Twinsburg
#12 Hudson @ #4 Warren G. Harding
#10 University School #7 Kenston
#11 Cleveland John Adams @ #6 Maple Heights
Byes- #1 Garfield Heights, #2 Cleveland Central Catholic, #3 Shaker Heights

Second Round Games (highest seed at home)
Euclid-Nordonia winner @ #1 Garfield Heights
Twinsburg-Bedford winner vs. WGH-Hudson winner
Kenston-University School winner @ #2 Cleveland Central Catholic
Maple Heights-John Adams winner @ #3 Shaker Heights

3rd Round Games @ Solon
Garfield Heights-Euclid-Hudson winner vs. Twinsburg-WGH-Hudson-Bedford winner
Cleveland Central Catholic-Shaker Heights-Maple Heights-Kenston-University School-John Adams winner

4th Round
District Final @ Solon
To me it doesn't feel like Garfield is the true number one seed here. Anyone else think that?
Seems like they have a tougher out than Shaker or Central.
Old 02-11-18, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

I don't think they're the true #1 either. I thought that Central Catholic would get it based on their slightly better resume, but I guess Garfield's win over Central Catholic locked them in the top spot.

Garfield's toughest opponent will be Twinsburg (if they get past Warren Harding). Cleveland Central Catholic has the easiest path to the district title game IMO, depending on what happens between Shaker Heights and Maple Heights in their sectional game on March 3.
Old 02-11-18, 05:02 PM
All American

sehs
Through and through this must be one of the toughest districts in the state. I am interested to see how CCC responds to a tough loss to Garfield Heights at home.
Old 02-11-18, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
WGH played without their best player for the 1st half of the season. They've only lost one game since.

The Raiders have to get more consistent offensively, but they could surprise in Solon.
Old 02-11-18, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
To me it doesn't feel like Garfield is the true number one seed here. Anyone else think that?
Seems like they have a tougher out than Shaker or Central.
Top 3 teams took a bye, so Twinsburg & WGH jumped in with Garfield instead of playing CCC or Shaker in the 2nd round.
Old 02-11-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Top 3 teams took a bye, so Twinsburg & WGH jumped in with Garfield instead of playing CCC or Shaker in the 2nd round.
Teams didn't have the opportunity to choose their spot on the bracket this year.
Old 02-11-18, 05:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Teams didn't have the opportunity to choose their spot on the bracket this year.
Correct. Although it would have been interesting to see how it played out if they did.
Old 02-11-18, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Really? That doesn't make any sense. Why even seed them if there's no real benefit?

No big deal my way, but why does the OHSAA insist on making unnecessary changes? SMH.
Old 02-11-18, 07:12 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Really? That doesn't make any sense. Why even seed them if there's no real benefit?

No big deal my way, but why does the OHSAA insist on making unnecessary changes? SMH.
The supposed benefit is that the #1 seed ("best" team) wouldn't have to see the #2 and #3 seeds until the district final. It's actually the traditional seeding format used by all kinds of tournaments (including the NCAA). Unfortunately the seeds and process become meaningless if the coaches either aren't paying close attention to the other teams records/opponents or are biased when voting (see Euclid district).

In regards to the OHSAA making these changes, let's be clear that this was not mandated by the OHSAA but instead unilaterally implemented by the Northeast Ohio District Athletic Board (NEDAB). Almost every other district board in Ohio actually combines districts, seeds from top-to-bottom, and allows every team to choose their spot on the bracket. In my opinion, NEDAB gets it wrong in how they do it, and we know based on stories and quotes, that at least part of the reason why is due to politics.
Old 02-11-18, 07:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The supposed benefit is that the #1 seed ("best" team) wouldn't have to see the #2 and #3 seeds until the district final. It's actually the traditional seeding format used by all kinds of tournaments (including the NCAA). Unfortunately the seeds and process become meaningless if the coaches either aren't paying close attention to the other teams records/opponents or are biased when voting (see Euclid district).

In regards to the OHSAA making these changes, let's be clear that this was not mandated by the OHSAA but instead unilaterally implemented by the Northeast Ohio District Athletic Board (NEDAB). Almost every other district board in Ohio actually combines districts, seeds from top-to-bottom, and allows every team to choose their spot on the bracket. In my opinion, NEDAB gets it wrong in how they do it, and we know based on stories and quotes, that at least part of the reason why is due to politics.
I see, though there's gonna be some "bias" behind anything decided by a vote. Being the furthest away from the Greater Cleveland area, WGH took some expected "hits" due to bias, albeit minor. About 90% of the field seemed to agree that Garfield's victory over CCC trumped record comparisons, but a couple teams ignored the fact that WGH just went to Maple and beat them by 14 (Maple was one of them though). I like our position in the bracket though.

Should be fun!
Old 02-11-18, 11:48 PM
All World

Euclid the 8 seed ? Wow. I'm guessing they are not the team Garfield was expecting in round 1. The Panthers are a tough out and might even knock Garfield off in a shocker.
Old 02-12-18, 04:59 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Eucild play nordonia 1 lol.
Old 02-12-18, 07:10 AM
All World

Euclid would be the first game for Garfield. The Panthers will roll Nordonia.