Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-18, 11:23 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Kind of surprised the finals were mostly all so one-sided, with the exception of Heard v/ Monroe.
Old 02-12-18, 08:58 AM
Varsity

MUCraider06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Yep. Seeding becomes critical, but even with proper seeding a few early upsets coupled with a few better-than-average 'extras' and things can get thrown a bit out of whack. All things considered though, this is the perfect format for this time of year.
I think what happened was, that with the thought of going to a pool tournament they added teams. The tournament has always been a bracket tournament with 12 teams, so the 5 match rule never applied .
Old 02-12-18, 09:37 AM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCraider06 View Post
I think what happened was, that with the thought of going to a pool tournament they added teams. The tournament has always been a bracket tournament with 12 teams, so the 5 match rule never applied .
The tournament has been 16 teams in the past (2015 &2017) with the 5 match issues in '15 and '17. (based on the data I can find on Trackwrestling) Not sure if the competition was better this year such that there were more 3rd place matches impacted with kids wrestling back or if there were less "full" brackets in the past so there were more more byes to minimize the issue.

Anyway, will agree the tournament ran smoothly with breaks only lasting as long as stated and not the "30 min" break that lasts an hour. The 45 min rule came into play for some of the consolation Semi's at the upper weights but that was only for about 5-10 min and did not cause any real issue.
Old 02-12-18, 10:07 AM
All District

ozzie8383 is on a distinguished road
For the most part the 5 match limit at the end did not bother me. Kids got quality matches in a "win or go home" format; happy with that.

Some takeaways from the tournament:
1.) UA looked good.
2.) Davidson's Dusseau has a monster double-leg. Fun to watch.
3.) If you did not know who Charles Williams is (106 from Gahanna), then you do now. Impressed with him.
4.) Bailey, from Green, has a decent Head and Arm.
5.) Clark, from Bexley, is good!
6.) Marysville's program is really deep! Mostly B-Team kids, and they can wrestle.
Old 02-12-18, 11:01 AM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie8383 View Post
6.) Marysville's program is really deep! Mostly B-Team kids, and they can wrestle.
Several of those were seniors that probably wrestled their last matches.

195 Hettel got his second championship of season/Career to end on a high note. (should have opportunity for spot at Sectionals by wrestling off Painter )

285 Shamhart 3-2 on the day to finish 6th in only second year of HS wrestling. Will be play football at Urbana. (May wrestle off Connolly)

182 Ishmael (DNP) a good kid in a difficult spot.

182 Legge (2nd) wrestled at state duals yesterday and I believe this week at Central Crossing and may get a chance in the state series depending on wrestle-offs and injuries.

I know across the state lots of seniors will wrestle there last matches in the coming weeks as they go through sectionals, districts and states. These guys will be practicing to help their teammates make runs in the tournament.
Old 02-12-18, 01:10 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
I know across the state lots of seniors will wrestle there last matches in the coming weeks as they go through sectionals, districts and states. These guys will be practicing to help their teammates make runs in the tournament.
Great point. Mad props to any Seniors who have likely completed their seasons. They are all better young men for having wrestled.
Old 02-12-18, 01:22 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
That is why at UA sectional coach Stout likes to make a big deal out of the finals. For many kids this is a big deal to them. In fact, it is a big deal. We had a couple seniors last year that making it to districts was a huge accomplishment and made them feel their senior year was a success. To make it to districts is a goal for a lot of young men. All of the coaches (and parents) b*tch and complain that they want to get done as soon as possible. Ever hear a kid complain about a parade of wrestlers before the finals? No, but i hear coaches and parents complain.
Old 02-12-18, 01:34 PM
All District

carpmentor is on a distinguished road
Kudos to Stout for recognizing that the sport is for the wrestlers and celebrating their accomplishments. For some athletes, 'just' making it to Districts is their goal and a personal accomplishment. The athlete have put months into this season, so why not take an extra hour to celebrate them
Old 02-12-18, 08:03 PM
All Region

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
What were the awards this year...I always like the awards that the All North has had in years past..The Hoodie a few years ago and Jackets last year were very nice.

Last edited by Iroquois; 02-13-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 11:14 AM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroquois View Post
What were the awrads this year...I always like the awards that the All North has had in years past..The Hoodie a few years ago and Jackets last year were very nice.
Sweet Rudis backpacks.

MVP = J. Ball 220
Fastest pin: 10 sec, forgot who won, 152 I think
Sportmanship award: Coldwater 160 I think.

How come MY son never wins the sportmanship award? (sarcasm font on)