Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-18, 01:57 PM
All American

nati513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
You missed the point, it has been publicly stated the Elder leaders are handling it as they should. Hold the guilty parties accountable and try to prevent from occurring again. However, let's not indict an entire community for sophomoric behavior of sophomores. It is an opportunity to teach them and hopefully they are doing that. FYI-Teenagers across the nation will make some questionable decisions tonight, as will adults.
I understand, and I get the mischievous teenage sophomoric antics that will occur. I was guilty of it. However, I disagree that what was being chanted was "sophomoric" behavior. As teenager I would have never even thought of chanting anything of the sorts...(And I went to a GCL school with a big student section). It was just plain ignorance and how they thought it was acceptable is beyond me. And even more disappointing were the parents and Elder staff that let this go on until the REFS had to stop it. And this is why the community is taking a hit...The Elder community didn't find it necessary to stop the chants dead in their tracks...And that is a problem.
Old 02-09-18, 02:11 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
If the racial taunts were crowd chants that is indefensible. If the Elder leaders ignored it that is even worse. Wherever the truth lies, with the public perception of this incident, Elder needs to deal with it in a decisive public manner. What I would never do is indict an entire school/community.
Old 02-09-18, 07:40 PM
Varsity

doon2625 is on a distinguished road
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
That sounds good, but the reality is this is a GCL problem (i.e. not just Elder). Frankly, my experience/observation has been that the St. Xavier student body is far more insulting than any other school in the Cincinnati area.

Hand out punishments that show it won't be tolerated any longer? Way back in 2005, St. Xavier students repeatedly made gorilla gestures in the state championship game against the black Canton McKinley team. Guess what, they've done in several times since when playing predominantly black teams.

Apparently, the St. Xavier parents and administration are fine with their kids dishing it out, but can't handle it when it comes their way.
Attended a Moeller - Middletown football game... they refused to shake hands - said they were scarred because of the kids on the track..(funny thing - they loss to an all white Ky school same season - shook their hands and they had kids all over the place... Also attended a Middletown - Moeller basketball game was standing next to the AD near the student section and I had to mention to him twice that what they were saying to and about the Middie players was disrespectful...
Old 02-09-18, 09:25 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
But not at state games. The OHSAA puts a limit on how many dressed football players are allowed on the sideline. As for the story, just a fan originally brought it up and I've met her several times through the years at Yappi gatherings and I've never known her to exaggerate or lie.

Let's face it, Elder was wrong on this but it's not like they are the only one's in the GCL that have been doing stupid stuff like this over the years. The whole league needs to address this and put a stop to it.

As for this particular incident I understand Elder students were going to drive over to X yesterday or today and apologize. Does anyone know if this was done and how it went?
Thanks MoeDude. I'll stand by my statement of what I observed, but I'll add....I don't think this is just a GCL issue, it's an Ohio high school sports issue.

Furthermore, it's not just the students, but also the adult fans that far too frequently cross the line.

Finally, it's not just a race issue....I"ve heard many, many chants over the years that targeted an athlete based on a known disability (i.e. dyslexia), or a team based on social economic status.

There is a line that shouldn't be crossed and it's been crossed far too often.
Old 02-09-18, 10:28 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That sounds good, but the reality is this is a GCL problem (i.e. not just Elder). Frankly, my experience/observation has been that the St. Xavier student body is far more insulting than any other school in the Cincinnati area.

Hand out punishments that show it won't be tolerated any longer? Way back in 2005, St. Xavier students repeatedly made gorilla gestures in the state championship game against the black Canton McKinley team. Guess what, they've done in several times since when playing predominantly black teams.

Apparently, the St. Xavier parents and administration are fine with their kids dishing it out, but can't handle it when it comes their way.
You've definitely at least gotten the year wrong. Canton McKinley was not in the state championship game in 2005.
Old 02-09-18, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Quick quiz. How many other grade levels of football are there in high school other than the varsity team...that wouldn't have been playing that night?
They would not have had letter jackets. Even if they were sophomores who earned them that year, the sports awards banquet for that year would not have taken place. At most, they would have only gotten the award that freshmen football players get for completing a season - their graduation year numbers.
Old 02-09-18, 10:41 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
You've definitely at least gotten the year wrong. Canton McKinley was not in the state championship game in 2005.
I'm not so sure that I've "definitely gotten the year wrong." According to OHSAA and cantonmckinley.com...never mind that I was there...McKinley won the state championship in 2005. They beat St. Xavier 51-42.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/bk/boys/2005/d1rslt05.htm

https://cantonmckinley.com/just-the-...rances-history
Old 02-10-18, 01:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm not so sure that I've "definitely gotten the year wrong." According to OHSAA and cantonmckinley.com...never mind that I was there...McKinley won the state championship in 2005. They beat St. Xavier 51-42.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/bk/boys/2005/d1rslt05.htm

https://cantonmckinley.com/just-the-...rances-history
My bad. I was thinking football.
Old 02-10-18, 03:57 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Again not making light of what happened this week, but high and mighty X fans crack me up. Through the years their cheering section has been known to come up with a few embarrassing gems of their own but where was the X parent outrage when their own were chanting to other teams "You'll pump my gas someday!" But I guess that's considered just fun.
Old 02-10-18, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Again not making light of what happened this week, but high and mighty X fans crack me up. Through the years their cheering section has been known to come up with a few embarrassing gems of their own but where was the X parent outrage when their own were chanting to other teams "You'll pump my gas someday!" But I guess that's considered just fun.

That cheer is a response to other schools chants, not directed at players or to a specific player. You know the difference; it is a play on the X stereotype, you are smart enough to not having to resort to whataboutery.
Old 02-10-18, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
While I do not remember that specific chant/cheer, I have heard similar to it during my time as a student at St. X. I would say that the difference is that when those cheers did take place, the Administration took immediate action to let the student body know that those cheers were NOT OK and students who could be identified participating in such cheers would face consequences. AND, they followed that up with action.
Old 02-10-18, 05:34 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know you understand the difference between that cheer and the ones leveled last week, because of the "stir the pot." The biggest disgrace is the inaction of the adults. But, now it is up to those adults to right the ship and, the Yappi readers should give them that opportunity.
Old 02-11-18, 03:45 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
The biggest disgrace is the inaction of the adults.
I disagree with the biggest disgrace statement. Even bigger than the inaction at the game to stop it, but IMHO, the subsequent coverup in their press release is far worse. Paul Daugherty in his daily Enquirer column called out Elder for their press release trivializing what really happened, "Elder released a statement late Tuesday afternoon, saying the chants/slurs began in the 3rd quarter. That’s false. They began in the 1st quarter. Elder said it “quickly’’ acted to shut them down. That’s false. An Elder coach admonished the student section in the 3rd quarter. If Elder is going to be serious about addressing this, it should start by shooting straight in the press release." Here is the link to the article in the Cincinnati Enquirer on Wednesday blasting Elder's press release about the incident.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...tly/314835002/

Last edited by Lancermania; 02-11-18 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 08:58 AM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
That cheer is a response to other schools chants, not directed at players or to a specific player. You know the difference; it is a play on the X stereotype, you are smart enough to not having to resort to whataboutery.
Nice try.
Let's hear your rationalization of the 2006 St. X student section carrying signs and chanting "Vote for Pedro!" at Moeller's Andrew Gomez.
Old 02-11-18, 10:28 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Wink

This has no end in sight. Every single school has examples of inappropriate behavior. "he called me a name on the playground in 2nd grade." Elder is dealing with it, maybe not exactly like some people think they should but again, every school has had their issues. This is a great time for all schools to promote sportsmanship, proper fun fan behavior, and what isn't.
Get back to the other argument that also has no ending....recruiting!
Old 02-11-18, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
This has no end in sight. Every single school has examples of inappropriate behavior. "he called me a name on the playground in 2nd grade." Elder is dealing with it, maybe not exactly like some people think they should but again, every school has had their issues. This is a great time for all schools to promote sportsmanship, proper fun fan behavior, and what isn't.
Get back to the other argument that also has no ending....recruiting!
If you look back I've mentioned it is a GCL problem. The Elder fans were over the line last week and they are paying a price and are dealing with it. But for any other school to keep throwing stones at them like their own school is free of sin, is ridiculous. Elder is being held accountable by the press and social media. It's up to them to figure out how to fix it but there are some who will never be satisfied no matter what steps they take. For those who continue to attack Elder all I have to say is look in the mirror and be honest with yourself, are you and your team worthy of being able to cast stones.

I say the real solution is for the GCL schools as one should get together and decide how to address this type of ill advised way of cheering.
Old 02-12-18, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I say the real solution is for the GCL schools as one should get together and decide how to address this type of ill advised way of cheering.
By "cheering", you mean malicious racist taunts, correct MD?

Just, to be clear.

-CardinalsFan
Old 02-12-18, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
By "cheering", you mean malicious racist taunts, correct MD?

Just, to be clear.

-CardinalsFan
Imagine that CardinalsFan being a horses backside showing his envy and hate again. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Old 02-12-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Imagine that CardinalsFan being a horses backside showing his envy and hate again. The more things change the more they stay the same.

No envy.
No hate.

Just wanted clarification, that's all.

I hope the GCL gets their racism figured out. Like I said earlier in the thread, too much good comes out of those schools for it to be overshadowed by this nonsense.

Not holding out much hope as it's systemic and has been for 4 decades so...

-CardinalsFan
Old 02-13-18, 04:42 AM
Varsity

Gators34 is an unknown quantity at this point
And Cardinal fans are extreme saints
Old 02-13-18, 05:12 AM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gators34 View Post
and cardinal fans are extreme saints
lol
Old 02-13-18, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators34 View Post
And Cardinal fans are extreme saints
Nobody said that. Stop making up stuff to change the narrative.

-CF
Old 02-13-18, 01:08 PM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Not holding out much hope as it's systemic and has been for 4 decades so...
-CardinalsFan
I can’t let this comment stand unchallenged, especially not in a meritocracy like a sports forum.
Get past the victim mentality.
Drop the “it’s systemic” excuse making. Nobody’s defending what happened.
The “community” has a host of problems that are of their own making.

Just as the Elder students knew what they were chanting was horribly wrong, the bad actors that decimate “the community” know their evil too!
The rot is internal.
Old 02-14-18, 07:28 AM
Success is Tradition!

From the northern part of the state...Lake Catholic issues apology to Villa Angela-St. Joseph for student’s comment

http://fox8.com/2018/02/12/lake-cath...dents-comment/
Old 02-14-18, 11:28 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
According to the Elder board their seniors are boycotting going to the games...

What great self reflection, problem solved, let's bury our heads in the sand!
Old 02-14-18, 04:46 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
According to the Elder board their seniors are boycotting going to the games...

What great self reflection, problem solved, let's bury our heads in the sand!
Ah yes, the infamous, " Someone told me................"