Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-27-18, 08:33 AM
Varsity

Meatball is on a distinguished road
Eastern District Div 4

The favorites, by record, appear to be River, Strasburg, and Malvern with Hiland lurking in the shadows.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-18, 07:02 AM
Varsity

Hard to believe NOBODY has any thoughts on this sectional/district!

I will be looking at the result of Hiland at River to help gauge how the district may end up; Hiland, record wise, is a little down this year, but seems to be playing a little better here toward the end of the year.

What say YOU?
Old 02-04-18, 11:23 PM
All Region

hhawks is on a distinguished road
My Hawks take down River by 15, but the game was alot closer than the final score,trailed most of the first half, down 4 at the half took the lead half way through third qt. then Hawks went on one there patent runs 19-4 to end the game, Isaly boy from River is the real deal,he will be for sure 1st team all Ohio if not close to play of the year, it's probably a three team race for the district title, it's a shame two very good teams will not make it to the regional,ithink our district will be harder,then the regionals
Old 02-07-18, 07:18 PM
All District

tndog is on a distinguished road
Very strong Sectional/District this year
Old 02-08-18, 06:43 AM
Varsity

Excited to see how the seedings play out...who gets the #1. Is it River or Strasburg?
Old 02-08-18, 08:11 AM
All Region

If it's based on comparing scores,then it might be Strasburg beat Hiland @ Hiland by 2 but that was the first game of the year, Hiland beats River @River by 15,I were a betting man, I'd go with Strasburg no.1 maybe River in a close vote for no.2 then Hiland the 3rd seed, depends on how the rest of the ivc teams vote,I think the votes have to be turn in before Friday games,if Hiland were to knock off unbeaten d-2 Indian Valley on Friday,they would make for a strong case for 2 and maybe no.1 seed,we will see how it all shakes out
Old 02-09-18, 06:54 AM
Varsity

hawk, i can see where your hawks are making a strong play for #1 seed, having beaten River and the loss to Strasburg was the first game of the year. Also considering that your non-conference schedule is probably stronger than either of those other 2 schools and you seem to be hitting your stride, it wouldn't be too far a stretch to see the Hawks garner the #1.
Old 02-10-18, 09:42 AM
Freshman

RHobbs9 is on a distinguished road
The margin is small but I would put Strasburg 1 based upon a road win against Hiland and convincing wins against Sandy (twice) and Garaway, who beat the Hawks. I would go with Hiland at 2 and then River at 3. Either way, a team is going to have to play well to get out of this district.
Old 02-10-18, 10:44 AM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
There was a time when I would get a little exorcised about seedings, but old age has caused me to relax. Is the process political? Yes, but at the same time, it's a tournament. Beat who is in front of your and move on - or lose and go home. Regardless, you have a fair shot to move on. A team capable of moving on will be willing to take on the tough opponent sooner rather than later anyway. So, in the end, it is much ado about nothing. Hiland, Sburg, and River are the top 3. Mix them however you want. It will all come out in the wash.
Old 02-10-18, 01:44 PM
All Region

Only thing is ,I would like to have either 1or2 seed,one team is only going to have to face ,one the top three to get to the district finials,I guess if to seed them Strasburg in close vote for 1, Hiland 2, River 3, Shenandoah 4, Malvern 5, Toronto 6, Steubenville Cath 7
Old 02-12-18, 09:37 AM
Varsity

fuss2 is on a distinguished road
This bracket is going to be a real slugfest. There will be some good teams that don't get to districts in this bracket.

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....2&ts=20840=16
Old 02-12-18, 07:05 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
We might be looking at whoever wins this district will be skipping along to the Schott. Very tough district. The Mike Neidenthal at Strasburg, Lukas Isaly at River, Scott Troyer at Hiland, and Mark Mayle at Malvern are all Ohioans easily (with maybe Neidenthal being closest to a special mention. This is very top heavy, but lets not forget how bad the bottom is as well.
Old 02-12-18, 07:40 PM
All Region

I agree the central district is not what it use to be after the big three move up to d-3,is where they belong anyway,east district winner has a very good chance of making it the regional finials, the southeast district has some pretty decent teams,I have been keeping tabs on this one team in the southeast, that plays alot of d-2 and d-3 schools,they had been d-3 over the years, but move down to d-4,there name is Coal Grove there at 13-5 right now
Old 02-12-18, 07:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Coal Grove does have battle experience. However, as does Hiland as well. Therefore, whoever has the poise to make it out of the East district, should have been battled tested winning two quality games in a row. The Central district is really down. Fisher Catholic or Danville don't truly have the hype but that doesn't mean anything (I.e. Chillicothe Southeastern). You never know who will end up where, but thing is for certain. The east district will finally have a better chance to make it Columbus after leaving Canton and the private school regional. No Cornerstone Christian to look at.
Old 02-12-18, 09:34 PM
All Region

Exclamation

I agree, I'm glad my east district is heading to Athens now, my Hawks made it to the regional finials last season in d-3,we're playing some of our best basketball right now,big big game tomorrow night at Hiland vs Garaway, it's right now a mind thing with Garaway,we lead those games all the way, only to fall apart in the fourth quarter, will see if we can get over the hump with them tomorrow night
Old 02-12-18, 09:42 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Central D4 is way down. Whoever comes out might be better than the second SE district team, though. Doesn’t matter in any case. East District winner will blast through.
Old 02-13-18, 05:30 PM
Junior Varsity

I'd like to say that the East winner would blast through if it were to be Hiland.. However, if it isn't Hiland, teams with MINIMAL experience winning regional games aren't ever lock ins. Malvern hasn't won a game in the regional in a while, River has only been a few times and only once in around 30 years, and I can't remember when Strasburg has even went...

By the way hhawks, lets avenge that ugly loss tonight
Old 02-13-18, 05:50 PM
All District

Hiland-Garaway is getting close to becoming the OSU-Michigan football rivalry. A Pirate win tonight means 7 in a row. Hiland led by 13 or 14 with 6 min to go in the last game, but Garaway caught them and pulled it out in OT. Hiland really needs to exorcise its Garaway demon tonight, and if it does, that will really help propel them into the tournament. It's hard when the other team always seems to win no matter what you do though. That psychological problem is tough to overcome. I will be heading out to see how this one goes.
Old 02-13-18, 05:59 PM
Junior Varsity

It'll come back to the hawks eventually. Combination of Garaway talent and lack of usual talent at Hiland. If the boys rival is an OSU/Michigan rivalry, what is hiland/garaway girls compared to?
Old 02-14-18, 12:43 AM
Junior Varsity

mich97 is on a distinguished road
Hiland certainly exorcised it’s Garaway demon alright!
Old 02-14-18, 01:09 AM
All Region

Boy Garaway Tuesday night died with the three ball,they were something like 1 for 25 Tuesday night, Hawks would not let them get a clean look for most the night,Andy Miller has really step up his game wow,with Andy and Scott on a roll, now if we can just get Kobe back on track,. And also wanted to say congratulations to the Hiland Reserve Team finishing the regular season undefeated,
Old 02-15-18, 12:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Does anyone have any takes on a potential upset team in this district? I feel concerned with the winner of the Central Catholic matchups. SCC and TCC both have some power behind them and could make things tight for River
Old 02-15-18, 03:43 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post
If the boys rival is an OSU/Michigan rivalry, what is hiland/garaway girls compared to?
It's hard to say. Bardall used to beat them every now and then, and I think Monigold got them once or so. Shutty is a premier coach, but there's just too much of everything going against him right now. The best thing you can say about the Garaway program in relation to Hiland is that almost every year they are the only team in the IVC with any chance of beating them.

Funny story I heard that may be mostly true. Hiland girls go down to Buckeye Trail earlier in the year. They have their captain's meeting at the center. After it breaks up, one of the BT girls tells Kennedy Schlabach firmly, "We don't lose on our home court." It was 46-0 at half. File that one under "Don't poke the bear."

Hiland boys were impressive against Garaway. I guess the one concern I saw was that Kobe Troyer should be scoring at least 15 points a night. He has that kind of talent. As Hiland goes forward, they will have games where they will need him to do that. I'd like to see him be a little more assertive on the offensive end.

PS: Sburg struggled against EC. Something to worry about or just an off night for the Fighting Adam Halls?
Old 02-15-18, 04:51 PM
All Region

I think East Canton is probably second hottest team in the IVC league right now, the second half of there season they have really turned it around,they keep playing like they are they should be in the district finials in the Struthers district.
Old 02-15-18, 05:06 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
East Canton does tend to play pretty well in Struthers.
Definitely a darkhorse that could surprise some teams.
Old 02-15-18, 05:26 PM
All Region

I really think East Canton has been really battle tested,with playing the likes of Strasburg twice, Sandy Valley twice, Malvern twice, Hiland once,they play Garaway Saturday in the IVC showcase games
Old 02-17-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
The East District is going to be a real battle. Whoever comes out will have earned it.
Old 02-18-18, 12:49 AM
Freshman

RHobbs9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawks View Post
I really think East Canton has been really battle tested,with playing the likes of Strasburg twice, Sandy Valley twice, Malvern twice, Hiland once,they play Garaway Saturday in the IVC showcase games
They put it on the Pirates tonight.
Old 02-20-18, 02:04 PM
All District

It's hard to see Sburg not coming out of their group. I don't know enough about Monroe or Catholic Central to know what kind of threat they are to River. Just based on how much respect I have for Ty at TCC, I imagine they could give the Pilots a game. Seems that the likely thing would be for Sburg and River to play in order to advance.

In the other group, Hiland would seem pretty heavy favorites to win their first two games, but who will they play in the district semis? Malvern, Toronto, or Shenandoah. I hope its Malvern, but that seems to be the most competitive part of the bracket.
Old 02-20-18, 10:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
It's hard to see Sburg not coming out of their group. I don't know enough about Monroe or Catholic Central to know what kind of threat they are to River. Just based on how much respect I have for Ty at TCC, I imagine they could give the Pilots a game. Seems that the likely thing would be for Sburg and River to play in order to advance.

In the other group, Hiland would seem pretty heavy favorites to win their first two games, but who will they play in the district semis? Malvern, Toronto, or Shenandoah. I hope its Malvern, but that seems to be the most competitive part of the bracket.
Watched Strasburg the other night. They are quite a fundamental team. Race King is the straw that stirs the drink for them. Fantastic player.. I think we may see how both teams respond after earlier than they would've liked exits. River has alot of senior leadership, 4 of 5 starters I think. Strasburg really collectively works well together. But can they stop #4 from River? He sure is as tough as they come.

And Hiland should be waiting on the other side. Mayle could keep Malvern close but with Andy Miller and Scott Troyer hounding Malvern's guards up the floor, I don't expect Malvern to handle that pressure well at all.