Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-10-18, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Mentor has played Shaker, Solon and Brunswick twice, am I correct? Does Mentor still have one more game with Euclid? What OOC opponents are left for Mentor? Right now, the battle for the #2 seed seems to be between Mentor and Benedictine. I'm pretty sure that Benny has Hoban left. I'm not sure if they play Lake Catholic again. Who else do the Bengals play? I think Mentor has a chance at the #2 seed, but it depends on how Benedictine finishes.

Fourth seed looks as if it comes down to Brush or Heights and right now, Heights appears to be playing better. Still, there's no telling how the WRC voting bloc will influence seeding. If they do vote as a bloc, Mayfield might even sneak into the top four.
Old 02-10-18, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
This District could have 4 solid Conference winners in it. Gone are the days...
Old 02-10-18, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Mentor has played Shaker, Solon and Brunswick twice, am I correct? Does Mentor still have one more game with Euclid? What OOC opponents are left for Mentor? Right now, the battle for the #2 seed seems to be between Mentor and Benedictine. I'm pretty sure that Benny has Hoban left. I'm not sure if they play Lake Catholic again. Who else do the Bengals play? I think Mentor has a chance at the #2 seed, but it depends on how Benedictine finishes.

Fourth seed looks as if it comes down to Brush or Heights and right now, Heights appears to be playing better. Still, there's no telling how the WRC voting bloc will influence seeding. If they do vote as a bloc, Mayfield might even sneak into the top four.
Benny played and beat Lake Catholic 2X. They have state ranked Hilliard Bradley at their place tonight and then play Hoban at home for the NCL title Friday evening. They tune up for the tourney with Massillon Washington and Padua to end the season.
Old 02-10-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
The vote was due this afternoon at 2pm I believe. Tonight and the rest of the season has no influence on seeding. At this point, I think Benedictine has the best chance at No. 2 unless the WRC teams really pump up Mentor based on reputation over the years combined with the way they have played the last 10 days or so.

With no ability to choose your own path this year, the seeds are incredibly important. As I stated earlier, the path of the 3 versus the 4 seed is pretty significant. For Mentor's sake, I hope they earn the respect of the WRC coaches and all as they strive for a top 3 seed.

Cleveland Heights might be the 3rd or 4th best team, but they don't have an overwhelming resume and they don't have anyone in their league to get their back. The LEL isn't what it used to be in basketball. Departures of Mentor, Shaker, and Euclid are a big reason. But the teams that remain aren't at the levels they once were.

My final prediction after last night's game:

1) Solon
2) Benedictine
3) Mentor
4) Brush
5) Cleveland Heights
6) Mayfield
7) South
8) East Tech
9) John Hay
10) Riverside
11) North
12) Madison
13) Lakeside
Old 02-11-18, 01:56 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, Solon is obviously far and away the top team in the Euclid District. It may or may not be theirs to lose, depending on how things go.

My prediction:

1. Solon
2. Benedictine
3. Mentor
4. Cleveland Heights
5. Brush
6. Mayfield
7. South
8. East Tech
9. John Hay
10. Riverside
11. North
12. Madison
13. Lakeside
Old 02-11-18, 08:54 AM
Junior Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
1. Solon
2. Bene
3. Cleveland Heights
4. Brush
5. Mentor
Old 02-11-18, 09:09 AM
All American

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Solon
Benny
Cleveland Heights
Mentor
Brush
Mayfield
East Tech
South
Old 02-11-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Cleveland Heights might be the 3rd or 4th best team, but they don't have an overwhelming resume and they don't have anyone in their league to get their back. The LEL isn't what it used to be in basketball. Departures of Mentor, Shaker, and Euclid are a big reason. But the teams that remain aren't at the levels they once were.
The LEL is still pretty solid with Lorain, Maple Heights, and remember that Lutheran East is now a member, though they're having a down season with a losing record (a number of close losses against strong opponents). Of course winning the LEL doesn't mean what it used to, but Heights should get credit for being 10-0 in the conference as of now and having a great chance at finishing without a loss.

Also Euclid hasn't really been all that competitive in hoops in a long time. The top 3-4 still remaining in the LEL have all been better in the time period that Euclid has been in the GCC.

Not sure how any of this affects seeding especially considering the fact the WRC will have a huge impact on who is placed where. Heights should be no worse than 5th, though I actually think being a 6th seed could be advantageous for them.
Old 02-11-18, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
The LEL is still pretty solid with Lorain, Maple Heights, and remember that Lutheran East is now a member, though they're having a down season with a losing record (a number of close losses against strong opponents). Of course winning the LEL doesn't mean what it used to, but Heights should get credit for being 10-0 in the conference as of now and having a great chance at finishing without a loss.

Also Euclid hasn't really been all that competitive in hoops in a long time. The top 3-4 still remaining in the LEL have all been better in the time period that Euclid has been in the GCC.

Not sure how any of this affects seeding especially considering the fact the WRC will have a huge impact on who is placed where. Heights should be no worse than 5th, though I actually think being a 6th seed could be advantageous for them.

Better to be the 6th seed than the 5th seed at Euclid. Opposite side of the bracket from Solon. I'm worried Mentor will get the 3 seed (which I wanted) but then get stuck with Heights in the sectional final rather than a much more reasonable game against WRC teams like South or Mayfield. With all of the WRC teams, I could see them bumping Mayfield over Cle Hts
Old 02-11-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

It's official now. Here are the top 6 seeds:

1. Solon
2. Brush
3. Mentor
4. Benedictine
5. Cleveland Heights
6. Mayfield

Solon plays the winner of the Willoughby South-John Hay match. Benedictine gets Lakeside in the first round. Heights plays Madison. The winners of those two games meet in the sectional final. Mentor gets the winner of Mayfield-North and Brush gets the winner of East Tech-Riverside.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-11-18 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
It's official now. Here are the top 6 seeds:

1. Solon
2. Benedictine
3. Mentor
4. Brush
5. Cleveland Heights
6. Mayfield

Solon plays the winner of the Willoughby South-John Hay match. Benedictine gets Lakeside in the first round. Heights plays Madison. The winners of those two games meet in the sectional final. Mentor gets the winner of Mayfield-North and Brush gets the winner of East Tech-Riverside.
What?! The NEDAB website lists Brush as the #2 and Benny as the #4:

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20703&not=13
Old 02-11-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Oops!! You're right. So sorry. I made the correction.
Old 02-11-18, 03:38 PM
All Yappi

Bummer for Benny. Not surprised Brush got the love and it ended up this way as Benny was on an island when it came to lack of conference teams in this District. Would love to see how some of these coaches voted...
Old 02-11-18, 03:46 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Bummer for Benny. Not surprised Brush got the love and it ended up this way as Benny was on an island when it came to lack of conference teams in this District. Would love to see how some of these coaches voted...
Here's a link to how the votes were for each of the D1 districts in NE Ohio

http://nedab.org/wp-content/uploads/...ng-Results.pdf
Old 02-11-18, 03:53 PM
All American

bluengold
Interesting to see that Mentor, Eastlake North and Brush voted Bennie's as #6 seed
Old 02-11-18, 04:11 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
This is crazy in no way is brush better than bene and with that mentor will be in the district final and the 4 v 5 matchup will be a very good game. Solon will have a tougher dis semi which doesnt make much sense but solon will be ready.
Old 02-11-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I didn't really look for it today, but it's usually released after the seeding is done.

I agree with you about Brush. I think that the old system where teams picked their place on the bracket mitigated the home-cooking voting issues (and super-districting helped neutralize that problem even more), but unfortunately the folks at NEDAB found that to be too much of a challenge for them to manage. Quite a shame, but if Benedictine is going to win the district, they are likely going to have to knock off Solon at some point.
Old 02-11-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
This is crazy in no way is brush better than bene and with that mentor will be in the district final and the 4 v 5 matchup will be a very good game. Solon will have a tougher dis semi which doesnt make much sense but solon will be ready.
Right, there were some real oddities in the voting process. Not sure what Mayfield was thinking.
Old 02-11-18, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
What did Mayfield do.
Old 02-11-18, 11:53 PM
All American

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man was I wrong on Benny. I was thinking 2 seed. I'm sure they will use that to motivate themselves. Brush IMO is overrated and is still riding those wins over Garfield and CCA. This district will be a battle. Mayfield is playing well as is Heights. Solon is tough but it will be anything but a cakewalk for the Comets.
Old 02-12-18, 08:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Mentor got a nice draw here. Only would have to play one out of the 3 between Solon, Heights and Benny if they advance a bit. Mentor playing much better than earlier in the season.
Old 02-12-18, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Interesting to see that Mentor, Eastlake North and Brush voted Bennie's as #6 seed
Old 02-13-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
"D = Vote dropped automatically after voting is complete."
Anybody know what that means? This came from the page that shows how each of the coaches voted.
Old 02-13-18, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"D = Vote dropped automatically after voting is complete."

Anybody know what that means? This came from the page that shows how each of the coaches voted.
The computer automatically drops each team's highest and lowest point value from the coaches' votes. If you look down the column for each team, you will see that they each have 2 numbers dropped.

John Hay's votes received is a good example. 1 coach voted the Hornets as the 6th seed (worth 8 points) while another vote the Hornets as the 12th seed (2 points). All other coaches voted the Hornets somewhere in between. The vote for 6th seed and vote for 12th seed were dropped.

This obviously helps protect against coaches blatantly overseeding or underseeding a team in order to gain an advantage.
Old 02-13-18, 09:51 AM
Varsity

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Like in Olympic figure skating (you know, the wife makes you sit there and watch it with her), you drop the highest and lowest seed ranking and go from there.
Old 02-13-18, 01:33 PM
Varsity

Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Classic Lake county snubbing the Bengals. As for Brush...Maybe Chet the Jet is still bitter over not getting a call back for a second interview for the job?
Benedictine has never backed down from tough competition, gotta beat the best to move on, doesn't matter when. Scary that the Bengals best player has been out for a couple weeks and is healthy again, look out Euclid District, the Bengals are coming full strength.
Old 02-13-18, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
Classic Lake county snubbing the Bengals. As for Brush...Maybe Chet the Jet is still bitter over not getting a call back for a second interview for the job?
Benedictine has never backed down from tough competition, gotta beat the best to move on, doesn't matter when. Scary that the Bengals best player has been out for a couple weeks and is healthy again, look out Euclid District, the Bengals are coming full strength.
I agree that putting Benedictine at No. 6 is nuts. They are the new kid in town (moving up to DI due to competitive balance), they are a private school (like it or not, I am sure it impacts some voters), and they play a schedule with a lot of non-DI schools - but that seems a little petty considering who some of those teams are.

Benedictine has a solid record, quality wins, history/reputation, and some dynamic players. I can see reasons to put Benedictine behind Mentor...maybe even behind Brush or Cleveland Heights depending on how you value their schedules. But to put them behind all three AND another team like Mayfield seems like quite a stretch. I am surprised Benedictine wasn't No. 2, but I didn't quite realize how much their lack of familiarity at the Euclid district would hurt them. Now they have to beat Cleveland Heights AND Solon just to get to the district final. Yikes.

The other really strange vote I saw was Eastlake North putting East Tech (the regular season champs of the Senate) behind bottom-feeders of the WRC like Riverside and Madison.

Now that they took the power out of the coaches to choose their bracket, these league-controlled votes are going to need to be addressed somehow. Easiest solution is go back to the old system.
Old 02-13-18, 01:59 PM
Varsity

StowInTheKnow is on a distinguished road
Man Broadway Joe Bene got butts kicked by Hilliard Bradley whose best player is coming off foot surgery and is like 50%
Old 02-13-18, 03:50 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
the winner between solon and bene will win this district also think brush and east tech game will be close, mentor will beat mayfield easy, bene and cle hts game will be close, mentor will beat brush or east tech and the top 3 teams in this district are all in the top of the bracket

Last edited by Comets111; 02-13-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 04:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree that putting Benedictine at No. 6 is nuts. They are the new kid in town (moving up to DI due to competitive balance), they are a private school (like it or not, I am sure it impacts some voters), and they play a schedule with a lot of non-DI schools - but that seems a little petty considering who some of those teams are.

Benedictine has a solid record, quality wins, history/reputation, and some dynamic players. I can see reasons to put Benedictine behind Mentor...maybe even behind Brush or Cleveland Heights depending on how you value their schedules. But to put them behind all three AND another team like Mayfield seems like quite a stretch. I am surprised Benedictine wasn't No. 2, but I didn't quite realize how much their lack of familiarity at the Euclid district would hurt them. Now they have to beat Cleveland Heights AND Solon just to get to the district final. Yikes.

The other really strange vote I saw was Eastlake North putting East Tech (the regular season champs of the Senate) behind bottom-feeders of the WRC like Riverside and Madison.

Now that they took the power out of the coaches to choose their bracket, these league-controlled votes are going to need to be addressed somehow. Easiest solution is go back to the old system.
Benedictine has played a lot of games against schools smaller than D1, but most of those are good teams, no matter what division they're in. I thought Benny and Mentor were about even for the second seed. The #4 seed is pretty unfair. I've seen Benedictine in person, so I know they're a quality team.