Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-28-18, 09:34 AM
All American

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice comeback win by the Eagles. The game was physical and both teams had to deal with the worst officiated game I have seen all season. You guys have a nice squad. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 02-11-18, 05:04 PM
All American

sehs
Eagles sweep the season series against St. Ignatius for at least the 3rd or 4th time of the Flan tenure. Anyone know how many it's been?
Old 02-11-18, 05:23 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Other than Arizonacat, are their any St. Ignatius fans even on the basketball thread? No posts about the game until now. Could you imagine if that happened in football!
Old 02-12-18, 11:00 AM
Freshman

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
Should be a good 2 years or so before the Cats beat the Eagles again on the hardwood
Old 02-12-18, 08:12 PM
All American

sehs
Heard last night Br. Joe Chvala died. Tremendous man and teacher, RIP.
Old 02-13-18, 04:47 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
"Be a Cyrano"...Brother Joseph Chvala.

Rest in peace and god bless.
Old 02-14-18, 09:54 PM
Junior Varsity

Mitjones is on a distinguished road
Joe C

Never had him but the stories are legendary.
Old 02-15-18, 05:53 AM
All Ohio

Br. Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Heard last night Br. Joe Chvala died. Tremendous man and teacher, RIP.
Time to change my handle. He was a great man indeed. The fake Br. Joe is signing off.
Old 02-17-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
Should be an interesting game tonight with #5 Central Catholic, although I am sure the young Eagles will be up to the challenge. They honor the 20th anniversary of the 1998 basketball team tonight. It's hard to believe it's been that long and man am I getting old.

Although I will miss this game, the game on Tuesday night against Solon in the Eagle's Nest should be a great basketball game. I won't miss that one !!
Old 02-17-18, 07:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Mitjones is on a distinguished road
Wish I could be there on Tuesday. Solon won’t have a tougher game to date.
Old 02-18-18, 10:24 AM
All American

sehs
What a game last night! I think Ed's has done a great job scheduling tough "prepare for March" sorts of games late in the season. So playing Cleveland Central Catholic in February is usually a nice test. CCC came out on fire last night and raced to a lead for most of the first half and part of the third quarter but Ed's fought back and I thought was going to pull away given their greater depth and CCC losing their legs a bit. But Central countered and had a 5 point lead with a little over a minute to go. Missed a free throw, Ed's hit an and 1 basket and then came down again to tie the game. Central got off a shot with a second left that almost was tipped in by their center. In the OT both teams seemed to match big shot for big shot or big play for big play. With 4 seconds left, Ed's shot a 3 that went off the rim and after a missed put back attempt, Devontae Blanton rebounded and put his up at the buzzer to win. High school basketball at its finest last night!
Old 02-19-18, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What a game last night! I think Ed's has done a great job scheduling tough "prepare for March" sorts of games late in the season. So playing Cleveland Central Catholic in February is usually a nice test. CCC came out on fire last night and raced to a lead for most of the first half and part of the third quarter but Ed's fought back and I thought was going to pull away given their greater depth and CCC losing their legs a bit. But Central countered and had a 5 point lead with a little over a minute to go. Missed a free throw, Ed's hit an and 1 basket and then came down again to tie the game. Central got off a shot with a second left that almost was tipped in by their center. In the OT both teams seemed to match big shot for big shot or big play for big play. With 4 seconds left, Ed's shot a 3 that went off the rim and after a missed put back attempt, Devontae Blanton rebounded and put his up at the buzzer to win. High school basketball at its finest last night!
Very exciting win, and nice to pull it off in front of the '98 state championship team who was being honored that night. CCC was not intimidated by the atmosphere and the Jackson twins were very impressive. Delshawn couldn't seem to miss. CCC, despite playing on a back-to-back, seemed to have more energy in the early going. Meanwhile, the Eagles were struggling to finish at the rim missing several easy baskets. Going to take a much more focused effort this Tuesday against a great Solon team.
Old 02-19-18, 10:20 AM
All American

sehs
Sometimes I wonder with teenage athletes if it is better to be playing off of a game rather than wait a week to play. I agree, Central seemed focused and ready mentally, physically and emotionally. Ed's looked slow in the first quarter and unprepared for the intensity. Was that because of not having a game Friday? Was it because they were maybe looking past CCC a bit? Who knows, happy they pulled out a win with an entertaining game though. With the Ironmen now in Division 1, there is an outside chance of these two meeting again. Ed's would need to make the final four out of Toledo and CCC would have to survive a tough Solon district but it could happen. Can't get too far ahead with that thinking though.
Old 02-19-18, 12:18 PM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just got back in town and catching up. Sounds like it was a good game in an exciting environment but one of the first things I do when reading an article is to check out the box.

Noticed a disparity in FTM. Hoping refs weren't an issue and that Eds was simply more aggressive attacking the rim?

Foster is going to be a special player in a few years as he's really good right now.
Old 02-19-18, 01:26 PM
All American

sehs
From where I was sitting, the refs did a great job at frustrating both teams. Central did not have as deep of a bench as Ed's so in the fourth quarter I believe two or three of their players had 4 fouls, but they also played a majority of the game. The Ironmen drew a ton of charges as well. What I think was annoying for everyone watching was the scrums you would have under the basket or for a loose ball that resulted in no whistle but then little contact would be called. Notable exception was for a call that went for St. Ed's in the OT. Loose ball on the floor where an Eagle defender had it and the CCC center went down to grab it as well as the Ed's player was trying to call time out. In my opinion, that should either be a timeout to St. Ed's or a jump ball but the refs called a foul on the center (his fifth). When you consider that Ed's won on a ball that was rebounded and put up by one of their bigs, I could see where CCC might be upset with that call. Central was up 5 with a little over a minute to go and missed the front end of a 1 and 1 that might have put the game out of reach, so they still had ample chance to win the game before it got to that point.
Old 02-19-18, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Agreed on that loose ball situation. CCC had every right to be pissed about that. Definitely no "rhythm" to the way the game was called. Both coaches were visibly upset on several occasions with the calls. Ed's best player fouled out in the fourth and was not available for crunch time. I think CCC had two guys foul out late in the game or perhaps overtime.

Everyone always seems to complain about the officiating in the Eagles Nest. And while I do think our crews tend to allow more physicality that plays into the aggressive defensive approach that Flan prefers, it's become a built-in excuse that opposing teams use both before and after games.
Old 02-19-18, 02:11 PM
All American

sehs
Great way to put it "no rhythm" to the way it was called had both coaches and players guessing about what they could and could not do. Despite that, it was still an entertaining game that was pretty free flowing.

There are some points to be made about the refs though that I think people get upset about:

St. Ed's does not have a league they play in therefore I believe they can hire their own refs. Is that an advantage? Absolutely! but also not different from plenty of other schools.

Under Flan, we have gotten very good and he does have a brand of basketball he loves to play. Relentless, physical defensive pressure and quality offensive possessions I believe is what he prefers, although when the personnel dictates a change he does that. I'm thinking of the 2012? team that had lots of shooters but no size so they pressed and pushed every game. Sometimes I feel that people get mad at referees when simply the other team is just more athletic or better prepared and in most of their games, that is St. Ed's.

I forgot Huffman fouled out before anyone. There were also plenty of calls that went against St. Ed's in key moments (thinking Blanton was called for a charge on a breakaway in overtime after he had passed off the ball). While there were plenty of headscratching calls, they happened to both teams so at least it was fair that way.

Last point about Saturday's refs, CCC seems to rely on their twin brothers for most of their offense. They have a point guard who runs the offense but rarely shoots and cannot create his own shot, a center who rebounds and has put backs and a small forward who rarely shoots but goes after loose balls and makes moves on the baseline. Not a lot of calls their way with the way their offense is set up I guess.
Old 02-19-18, 10:20 PM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Great way to put it "no rhythm" to the way it was called had both coaches and players guessing about what they could and could not do. Despite that, it was still an entertaining game that was pretty free flowing.

There are some points to be made about the refs though that I think people get upset about:

St. Ed's does not have a league they play in therefore I believe they can hire their own refs. Is that an advantage? Absolutely! but also not different from plenty of other schools.

Under Flan, we have gotten very good and he does have a brand of basketball he loves to play. Relentless, physical defensive pressure and quality offensive possessions I believe is what he prefers, although when the personnel dictates a change he does that. I'm thinking of the 2012? team that had lots of shooters but no size so they pressed and pushed every game. Sometimes I feel that people get mad at referees when simply the other team is just more athletic or better prepared and in most of their games, that is St. Ed's.

I forgot Huffman fouled out before anyone. There were also plenty of calls that went against St. Ed's in key moments (thinking Blanton was called for a charge on a breakaway in overtime after he had passed off the ball). While there were plenty of headscratching calls, they happened to both teams so at least it was fair that way.

Last point about Saturday's refs, CCC seems to rely on their twin brothers for most of their offense. They have a point guard who runs the offense but rarely shoots and cannot create his own shot, a center who rebounds and has put backs and a small forward who rarely shoots but goes after loose balls and makes moves on the baseline. Not a lot of calls their way with the way their offense is set up I guess.

In regards to the referee situation, itís very difficult to officiate when you have two teams so physical and focused on tough, aggressive, man to man defense. Most of the time itís a situation where the game canít get going because the players refuse to let it get into a flow. Having officiated for eight years, the goal is always to get out of there blowing the whistle the least amount possible.

I just heard who the officials will be for Tuesdayís game, and itís a great crew. All have worked in Columbus for D1 state tournament, and all have college experience. Also, one thing to ease Solon fans, the officials working the game are all very familiar GCC officials; there is a ton of crossover between east side and west side officiating...actually the prime reason I got out was because of the frequent travel to the west side. DeCesare should feel comfortable with the crew assembled for this game. Iím excited for it, itís two great teams we get to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-18, 08:46 AM
Freshman

olderbwalum is on a distinguished road
Any steams??

Can't make it out to Lakewood tonight - are there any ways to watch and/or listen??

Thanks!