Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-31-17, 11:32 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
So they went 2-2 on the trip and finished 4th? pretty legit.
They should cruise to regionals and play a great schedule.
Old 12-31-17, 12:27 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ed's went 2-2 on their road trip - that is fine. Sure you want to win and bring home the hardware - so what. Trips like these are so much more than basketball. That is why teams do it. These trips where you are away from family and friends galvanize a team. It makes teams closer and creates an even tighter bond or in some cases creates a bond that did not exist.

These coaches build these trips into their schedule for many reason but none more important than what I stated above. Ed's played great this year with their best player on the pine. They are not only winning with him out but developing depth. Kids who would not play as much are getting valuable playing time during crucial minutes. That in it self is huge but when combine with a tighter team chemistry and tightness - now you have something. I expect the Eagles to really be good when they get to 100% healthy.
Old 12-31-17, 01:47 PM
Varsity

Ed's depth is crazy. Could probably go 12 deep if needed.
Old 12-31-17, 01:56 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
Mission Bay 64
St Edward 57

Eagles did pretty well without Huffman and Terry
Did Terry get hurt again?
Old 12-31-17, 04:47 PM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Did Terry get hurt again?
I don't think so. He got 2 technicals in the 2nd game. Not sure if he was serving his 2 game suspension during the last 2 games. Maybe someone that was there can clarify.
Old 01-02-18, 06:52 PM
Varsity

Mitjones is on a distinguished road
I can confirm it was a suspension.
Old 01-03-18, 06:07 AM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
A big weekend for the Eagles. Three games in three days. The holiday tournament with 4 games in 4 days will have done the Eagles well. Let's see the mental toughness against some of the better teams in the area. There will be no off night vs Svsm, Benny and Shaker
Old 01-06-18, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Does anyone know if Steve Logan Jr is the son of Steve Logan from class of 98?

He was a machine in high school and for UC. Second in scoring behind the Big ďOĒ.
It is his son. Suffered a nasty injury last night in the JV game.
Old 01-06-18, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

Nice win last night despite some very poor shooting. Good to see Huffman back. I thought his injury might keep him out longer.
Old 01-06-18, 11:33 AM
All Region

irisheagle
What time is the St Eds game Sunday at BW?

Thanks
Old 01-06-18, 12:37 PM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
3:30 vs Shaker.
Old 01-07-18, 05:19 PM
All District

GoingCoastal is on a distinguished road
Check out the monster rebound slam by Demetrius Terry at the 3rd quarter buzzer in the Eagles win over Benedictine. (See video highlights in upper right corner of webpage.)
https://boxcast.tv/view/st-edward-vs...ketball-623630

Wow!
Old 01-07-18, 06:56 PM
All American

sehs
Nice win to complete a 3-0 weekend for St. Ed's, 98-90 over Shaker. Kind of a weird game that saw the Eagles take a commanding lead in the 2nd quarter then come out with a very sloppy 3rd. Shaker turned it on in the 4th where they cut the lead to 3 at one point I think but the last 5 minutes of the game were some of the most entertaining basketball I've seen in awhile. Filled with dunks, good ball movement and 3's both teams put on a show! Hats off to Demetrius Terry who came up huge in this game.
Old 01-07-18, 08:47 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Nice win to complete a 3-0 weekend for St. Ed's, 98-90 over Shaker. Kind of a weird game that saw the Eagles take a commanding lead in the 2nd quarter then come out with a very sloppy 3rd. Shaker turned it on in the 4th where they cut the lead to 3 at one point I think but the last 5 minutes of the game were some of the most entertaining basketball I've seen in awhile. Filled with dunks, good ball movement and 3's both teams put on a show! Hats off to Demetrius Terry who came up huge in this game.
Terry had 27 and 26 points in the Benedictine and Shaker games, respectively, both off the bench. He also brings a ton of energy and defense.
Old 01-08-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

Great stretch of basketball over the past couple weeks to finish 4th at Torrey Pines while playing short-handed and then sweeping the weekend series against three of the premier teams in NEO. The absence of Christian Guess in the Shaker game takes some luster off, but it was still a good victory considering the Eagles were playing their third game in as many days.

The infusion that Terry has added since returning to the lineup is incredible. I always considered him a solid player, but had no idea of his explosiveness and ability to finish around the rim. When Huffman gets his groove back and these two return to the starting lineup together, this is going to be a fun group to watch.
Old 01-08-18, 12:39 PM
All Region

Spike9 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see Huffman back at it, hopefully he didn't rush back too soon!
Old 01-08-18, 01:26 PM
Varsity

Mitjones is on a distinguished road
Terry is inconsistent

Quote:
Great stretch of basketball over the past couple weeks to finish 4th at Torrey Pines while playing short-handed and then sweeping the weekend series against three of the premier teams in NEO. The absence of Christian Guess in the Shaker game takes some luster off, but it was still a good victory considering the Eagles were playing their third game in as many days.

The infusion that Terry has added since returning to the lineup is incredible. I always considered him a solid player, but had no idea of his explosiveness and ability to finish around the rim. When Huffman gets his groove back and these two return to the starting lineup together, this is going to be a fun group to watch.
I watched Terry and his highlight reel plays but I also saw three terrible passes and numerous turnovers. With his volatile nature he is a good and bad contributor. I saw him play in San Diego and his two technicals were pretty low key and involved trash talking an opponent and mouthing off to a referee. Both werenít aggresious but not what we expect from our players at St Edís or a Flannery coached player. But, his demeanor while suspended was exemplary. First on the bench to clap and support his fellow teammates. Very impressive reaction to his plight and tells me he knows better. Growth opportunity. I like him and his future. He is perfectly positioned to mature with Flannery.
Old 01-08-18, 06:30 PM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Flannery will get any athlete to buy into his program or they sit or leave the school. I would not anticipate any issues with his athletes going forward this year.

Its fun to see Foster, Terry, and Huffman (when healthy) on the court together...high energy and skilled guys that play on both ends of the court.

I would welcome seeing both Foster and Terry with the Eagles on the gridiron as athletes...boy, could they contribute somewhere.

Go Eagles!
Old 01-13-18, 07:39 PM
All District

Audio feed for tonight's game vs. St. John's Jesuit can be found at:
http://streamdb6web.securenetsystems.net/v5/WPFX
Old 01-13-18, 09:24 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
Another great game between two great programs. Looking forward to a potential regional final matchup.
Old 01-14-18, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

Looks like a game where St. Johnís really controlled the tempo. Anyone know what our record is against SJJ during Flanís tenure? I feel like we always have a tough time with them.
Old 01-14-18, 12:56 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Looks like a game where St. Johnís really controlled the tempo. Anyone know what our record is against SJJ during Flanís tenure? I feel like we always have a tough time with them.
SJJ has dominated the series recently. But, SJJ had their undefeated season ended by Ed's in the regional final in 2001 on a buzzer beater.

SJJ's star Vincent Williams has given the Eagles fits the last two years, will be interesting to see if Flan can put together a game plan to stop him in the potential rematch.
Old 01-14-18, 08:08 PM
All American

sehs
2001-2002 Season was when Ed's upset the Titan's perfect season. This was one of the best examples of a team coming together I've seen and the season where Flan really figured it all out. Jawad Williams had graduated, Iggy had won states the year before and no one thought the Eagles would make it out of districts let alone to the Final Four. They split with Ignatius, both teams winning the home game and were blown out by St. John's by almost 30 in the regular season. Also had lost to Lakewood by 12 at CSU. In the district final they won 62-60 on a buzzer beating tip in against the Rangers in Double OT. Playing St. Ignatius at Gund Arena had hype but nothing compared to the second act that night LeBron's SVSM vs. Warrensville Heights, still technically considered the largest crowd to watch a HS basketball game in Ohio (although not for Eds and Ignatius). After beating the Wildcats, they went up to Toledo to play St. John's again. After Ed's spent the first 3 quarters controlling the game, St. John's had stormed back in the 4th quarter to tie it. You got the feeling that if it went to OT, St. Ed's would lose but they won on a buzzer beater to go to Columbus. The same formula almost worked against a talent-laden Brookhaven squad but they took a 3 point lead with less than a minute to go, Shaun Carney hit a bank in 3 to tie it and send it to OT but the Eagles were spent I think, two or 3 starters fouled out as well as our first couple guys off the bench.

Still a fun team, starting center was 6-4 football WR, one of the first guys off the bench was a 6'5 post player who played football at Northwestern. Scrappy sophomore point guard, Carney came off the bench too and Samario Clancy (little brother of Sam from '98 squad) was their main playmaker. Rounding out the starters was a 6'3 shooter who could hit every light in the gym.
Old 01-15-18, 01:43 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Neal Fronhapple?
Old 01-15-18, 01:44 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
I think he hit the shot against TSJ.
Old 01-16-18, 04:34 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Playing St. Ignatius at Gund Arena had hype but nothing compared to the second act that night LeBron's SVSM vs. Warrensville Heights, still technically considered the largest crowd to watch a HS basketball game in Ohio (although not for Eds and Ignatius).
SEHS, splitting hairs, but I believe the 2nd game featured SVSM versus Brush HS led by Roy Hall (who went on to play WR at OSU). Roy Hall took exception to a steal and dunk that LeBron made and upended him after the basket. I believe Gloria James stormed the court and then Mrs. Hall made an appearance as well. Great HS basketball in NEO that evening!

Go Eagles!
Old 01-16-18, 09:18 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
SEHS, splitting hairs, but I believe the 2nd game featured SVSM versus Brush HS led by Roy Hall (who went on to play WR at OSU). Roy Hall took exception to a steal and dunk that LeBron made and upended him after the basket. I believe Gloria James stormed the court and then Mrs. Hall made an appearance as well. Great HS basketball in NEO that evening!

Go Eagles!
That games was earlier in the year at the Convo....

Tempers flare, then cool with hand, hugHide Details
Plain Dealer, The (Cleveland, OH) - January 14, 2002Browse Issues
Author/Byline: Eddie Dwyer, PLAIN DEALER REPORTEREdition: Sports FinalSection: SportsPage: D11Readability: 8-9 grade level (Lexile: 1090)
It was an emotional and, at times, frustrating evening for the Brush High Arcs.

But then St. Vincent-St. Mary and its junior phenom, LeBron James, can do that to an opponent.

The Arcs, who entered last night's game confident of their ability to stay with the nation's eighth-ranked high school basketball team, were turned away, 71-46, in Cleveland State's Convocation Center.

Brush, ranked 11th in The Plain Dealer's Top 25 poll, had its moments against the area's No. 1 team. But those moments were few and far between.

After the Arcs cut an 18-point deficit to 10 points with 5:32 remaining, the Irish answered with a 7-0 run.

At that point, Brush's frustration came to the fore in the form of an intentional foul by Arcs standout senior forward Roy Hall Jr.

Hall, who had been battling James throughout the game, threw an intentional block into the All-American's back as James was on his way to what appeared to be a breakaway dunk. The incident, which saw James sprawled hard to the floor, occurred with 3:27 remaining to be played.

Players from both teams were forced to separate Hall and James and tempers flared to the point where James' mom, Gloria, came on to the court screaming for Hall's ejection from the game.

The officiating crew, headed by veteran Dave Anthony, restored order.

Although Hall was not ejected, he was taken out of the game by Brush head coach Jed Dunn. An Ohio State football recruit, Hall went back on the court and attempted to shake hands with James.

At first, James was having no part of Hall's apology as he refused to shake hands. But, with 1:15 left, James went over to the Brush bench and shook hands and exchanged hugs with Hall.

"I respect him," James said. "I think maybe he just got frustrated and his emotions took over. I stepped down a level by not shaking his hand at first. But, after awhile, I thought about it.

"I rarely lose my cool and I thought I did a good job of keeping my cool tonight. I got hit in the mouth and I was taking elbows all night."

Dunn agreed with most of what James said, saying the incident was out of character for Hall.

"It was unfortunate, but Roy is a great kid, an honors student," Dunn said. "And LeBron is a great kid, too. I'm from Akron and know most of those guys. They're all great kids."
Old 01-16-18, 09:22 AM
Varsity

I was lucky enough to have a seat in a loge seat for these games, can't remember how.

A double-double fans can't resist LeBron, area's best teams make Gund playoffs sizzleHide Details
Plain Dealer, The (Cleveland, OH) - March 12, 2002Browse Issues
Author/Byline: Eddie Dwyer and Tim Rogers, Plain Dealer ReportersEdition: FinalSection: SportsPage: D1Readability: 7-9 grade level (Lexile: 1070)
BOYS BASKETBALL ANALYSIS

It is the hottest ticket in town this week.

Ohio high school basketball history will be made tomorrow night during a boys basketball regional semifinal doubleheader at Gund Arena.

In the first game at 6:15 p.m., St. Edward and St. Ignatius will play in the semis of the Division I Toledo Regional. At 8, St. Vincent-St. Mary and junior phenom LeBron James will continue their chase for a third straight state title against Warrensville Heights in the semis of the Division II Toledo Regional.

When it's all over, sold-out Gund Arena (capacity 20,562) will own the attendance record for an Ohio high school basketball event, breaking the mark of 17,612 fans that saw SVSM win the Division III title last March at Value City Arena in Columbus.

With the tipoffs rapidly approaching, Plain Dealer reporters Eddie Dwyer and Tim Rogers, two people who know the ins and outs of all four teams, take a look inside the most anticipated event of the high school basketball season.

What's the big deal?

Eddie Dwyer: The frenzy began Saturday night in Solon after Warrensville Heights rallied past Orange in the district finals. As Warrensville's faithful made their way to the exits, many kept saying: "We're getting it on with LeBron."

The excitement reached a fever pitch early yesterday.

"I can't believe this," Warrensville Heights Athletic Director Phil Stevens said. "I got here at 5 a.m., because I was putting the tickets on sale at 6. When I arrived, there was a line that stretched around the school building. They had pillows and blankets. They camped out overnight, man!"

Like Warrensville Heights, St. Edward sold out within a few hours yesterday, and St. Ignatius' tickets were gone within an hour.

SVSM's tickets were gone by noon. Each school was allotted 3,500 tickets. All tickets were $5.

Tim Rogers: We all figured it would come down to SVSM and Warrensville.

No one figured tickets would sell faster than those for a Creed concert.

What do you think of the first game?

Eddie Dwyer: On Jan. 12, St. Edward dominated St. Ignatius, 75-58, in the Eagles' Nest. St. Ignatius won the second meeting, 76-71, at the Wildcats' Sullivan Gymnasium on Feb. 1.

As it showed throughout the Midview sectional-district, St. Edward can bang inside with the best of them or finesse you with its perimeter game.

"When St. Ed is hitting a decent percentage from the outside, they're an extremely tough matchup," said Shaker Heights coach Bob Wonson, who plays St. Edward and St. Ignatius every season. "They do a nice job of starting things inside with Kilbane [senior post Jim Kilbane] and kicking it back out."

And let's not forget Eagles junior forward Samario Clancy, who, like his brother Sam, has a nose for the ball off the offensive glass and is an exceptional athlete. Sam Clancy, a mainstay on the Eagles' 1998 state championship team and now with USC, was recently chosen as the Player of the Year in the Pac-10.

As for St. Ignatius, the Wildcats suffered two key injuries in January with junior guard Terry Walsh and junior forward Ryan Stilphen going down with ankle woes. Once they returned, the Wildcats closed their regular season strong.

Having said that, let's point out that St. Ignatius had two shaky performances at the Baldwin-Wallace sectional-district (against Midpark and Bedford) and seemed, at times, to play uninspired. St. Edward's physical presence could tell the tale.

Tim Rogers: I don't care. I just hope it doesn't go overtime.

What do you think of the second game? Can Warrensville Heights play with SVSM?

Eddie Dwyer: Warrensville Heights has anticipated this matchup since the first day of practice in October. As Tigers coach Dennis Chimes said, "These are the types of games we play for."

Chimes and his Tigers are no strangers to big-game venues. The Lake Erie League Erie Division champions won the Division II state championship in 2000 and were state runners-up last season. Chimes has guided Warrensville Heights to 73 victories in its last 78 games.

But while Warrensville Heights features two of the area's best in junior guard-forward Demetrius Johnson and senior forward Rian Powell, the Tigers will encounter matchup problems with LeBron and Co. St. Vincent-St. Mary's size and depth might be too much to overcome. Look for Chimes to employ multiple defensive looks and even a "junk" defense to keep Johnson and Powell out of foul trouble.

To hang tough, Warrensville Heights will need a steady game from all-district senior point guard Cerrone Edwards - at both ends of the court. The burden will probably fall on Chimes' two inside kids, Roderic Wilson and Darnell James. James is an underrated player who needs to hold his own on the boards and not be awed by the name of the opponent.

And of course, another factor is the regular-season schedules. St. Vincent-St. Mary played a national slate while Warrensville Heights fell to the biggest name on its schedule - St. Edward.

Tim Rogers: If LeBron gets in foul trouble, it will be a game. But LeBron gets in foul trouble about as often as Michael Jordan, which is as much a testament to his ability as his reputation.

The Irish, bent on winning a third straight state championship, have played a monster schedule, and LeBron and Co. have never lost to a team from Ohio during their high school careers. The best way to beat SVSM is to keep LeBron from scoring in mega-numbers and minimize the contributions from his teammates. That's what Oak Hill did. You had better guard the perimeter or Dru Joyce III and Chad Mraz will carve you up from 3-point range.

Junior Romeo Travis has become a significant contributor in recent weeks and is on his way to becoming a Division I player. The Irish are a much better team when LeBron is active on the boards.

Remember, SVSM has whacked some pretty good teams. If it means anything, Warrensville Heights beat Orange by one point last week and the Irish beat Orange by 11 last month.

Might this be one of the last few games we see LeBron James playing high school basketball? There are unsubstantiated rumors floating around that he might sign a multimillion-dollar deal with Nike or Adidas and skip his senior year?

Tim Rogers: There isn't anything LeBron can do that would surprise me. Ditto on the shoe companies.

There are several schools of thought on this topic. LeBron is smart enough to know that as soon as he signs that professional contract, basketball becomes a business.

LeBron is a homebody. He loves being with his friends. He loves playing high school basketball. And I think he would love to play college basketball.

But we are talking about a ton of money here, more money than most of us will make in our lifetimes. Those close to him laughed when they were asked about the Nike and Adidas rumors. And they guaranteed me he would be playing high school basketball next year at SVSM.

Of course, my broker guaranteed me that my Enron stock was golden.
Old 01-16-18, 11:03 AM
All American

clevfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2001-2002 Season was when Ed's upset the Titan's perfect season. This was one of the best examples of a team coming together I've seen and the season where Flan really figured it all out. Jawad Williams had graduated, Iggy had won states the year before and no one thought the Eagles would make it out of districts let alone to the Final Four. They split with Ignatius, both teams winning the home game and were blown out by St. John's by almost 30 in the regular season. Also had lost to Lakewood by 12 at CSU. In the district final they won 62-60 on a buzzer beating tip in against the Rangers in Double OT. Playing St. Ignatius at Gund Arena had hype but nothing compared to the second act that night LeBron's SVSM vs. Warrensville Heights, still technically considered the largest crowd to watch a HS basketball game in Ohio (although not for Eds and Ignatius). After beating the Wildcats, they went up to Toledo to play St. John's again. After Ed's spent the first 3 quarters controlling the game, St. John's had stormed back in the 4th quarter to tie it. You got the feeling that if it went to OT, St. Ed's would lose but they won on a buzzer beater to go to Columbus. The same formula almost worked against a talent-laden Brookhaven squad but they took a 3 point lead with less than a minute to go, Shaun Carney hit a bank in 3 to tie it and send it to OT but the Eagles were spent I think, two or 3 starters fouled out as well as our first couple guys off the bench.

Still a fun team, starting center was 6-4 football WR, one of the first guys off the bench was a 6'5 post player who played football at Northwestern. Scrappy sophomore point guard, Carney came off the bench too and Samario Clancy (little brother of Sam from '98 squad) was their main playmaker. Rounding out the starters was a 6'3 shooter who could hit every light in the gym.
That game was at Lakewood High. You're thinking of the 2002-03 season where the Eagles and Rangers played at CSU. St. Ed's made a big comeback and took that game, and then they beat Lakewood again in the district final, again by two points.

That 2001-02 Ed's team was nails, though. Appreciate the history.
Old 01-28-18, 07:21 AM
U.S. American

sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Nice 4th quarter of play last night by the Eagles. First 3 quarters...not so much. Flannery played about 25 different combinations of players, as usual, before finding a group that played with some continuity, and the offense clicked in time to erase a VASJ lead going into 4th.