Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-19-17, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
This is an all time "back in my day" post.
Vamps is the all time back in my day poster
Old 06-19-17, 06:14 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Catalum
Old 06-19-17, 06:23 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Swm
Old 06-20-17, 12:12 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Keep the 2 minute warning in the NFL and do NOT stop for a first down. That is plain ed. NFL is the best of the best and don't need to lower themselves to what HS and college do.

Plus it would make the games longer.

In MLB I would bring in a balanced schedule.

+All NL and AL teams play their respective leagues the same amount of games.
+For IL play they play teams who finish in the same 'POD' as they did the season before. Teams 1-5 in the AL in 2016 play eachother in 2017. 6-10 likewise and so on.
You still have the rivalry games like the Reds/Indians. Some seasons that may mean they play eachother twice...no big deal.

I get tired of seeing the reds play the same division games what....15+ times a year? Plus it makes it a more of a level playing field for who gets into the postseason.

NFL matches up this way for their last 2 games to fill out their schedule.

MLB I would be Ok with going to 154 games. Not much of a diff but gotta stick with a number for stats sake/

For the NBA. Hard cap. Game is unwatchable.
A radical idea would be what the CBA used to do........Something like 5 points for a win, and 1 point for every QTR won. Even games that got out of hand the teams fought for each quarter and point in the standings.

NHL-----I am not in love with the shootout for regular season games but it is much, much better than ties. I just don't think it is feasible to play until it is won in the regular season with the travel and amount of games.

NFL---They already announced less commercial breaks which is good..just a little longer ones when they do. When I am at games the longer breaks would be good. I would also maybe increase the halftime. 12 minutes leaves no time to go to the bathroom and get something to drink/eat and is why stadiums are empty to start the second half. I would cut the preseason down to 3 games.

Last edited by thavoice; 06-20-17 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-20-17, 08:19 AM
All World

Wahoo Sam is on a distinguished road
MLB- Reliever gets three warm up pitches on the mound. No commercial break. Pitcher must pitch to at least 3 batters or until end of inning before being pulled.

NBA- Stop the "Super Teams". This season was boring because the eventual winner was obvious.

MLS (not fan of Hockey so I'm not competent to comment)- Do away with the Offsides. Have a concept like the Blue line in Hockey.

NFL- More offense!! Other than the top few teams its unwatchable.

Widen the hashmarks to college to open up the outside running game. Teams now do this by throwing lateral dinks and dunks.

Catch is only one foot in bounds (college rule). Widen the field.

Xpoints kicked from 3 yard line from where the ball crossed the goal line (Rugby Rule).

PI is only 15 yards (college rule) but 2 PIs and player is disqualified.

New Penalty on Offense: Dangerous Play- When a QB throws a pass High, Late, and Over the Middle it is a 15 yard penalty and subject to fine.

All Leagues- Less Commercial and in return uniforms carry advertisements.
Old 06-21-17, 12:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo Sam View Post
MLB- Reliever gets three warm up pitches on the mound. No commercial break. Pitcher must pitch to at least 3 batters or until end of inning before being pulled.

NBA- Stop the "Super Teams". This season was boring because the eventual winner was obvious.

MLS (not fan of Hockey so I'm not competent to comment)- Do away with the Offsides. Have a concept like the Blue line in Hockey.

NFL- More offense!! Other than the top few teams its unwatchable.

Widen the hashmarks to college to open up the outside running game. Teams now do this by throwing lateral dinks and dunks.
Catch is only one foot in bounds (college rule). Widen the field.

Xpoints kicked from 3 yard line from where the ball crossed the goal line (Rugby Rule).

PI is only 15 yards (college rule) but 2 PIs and player is disqualified.

New Penalty on Offense: Dangerous Play- When a QB throws a pass High, Late, and Over the Middle it is a 15 yard penalty and subject to fine.

All Leagues- Less Commercial and in return uniforms carry advertisements.
Uhm, college has the wide hash marks and have the market cornered on throwing those dinks and dunks to the outside.

I think it would do even less for the running game in the NFL. Sure you may have one side more wide open but the defenses are so fast that even with the extra wide side a RB isn't going to outrun the defense way outside. Even of right now the wide as guys get is right outside the tackles and getting upfield. The more a RB runs parallel to the LOS the worst it typically ends up.

Tjhen you have the short side of the field with less room making it easier.

Plus......if your scenario it would ADD to the WR pop passes to a speedy guy on the outside on the wide side of the field.

It was also shrink the field for the defense. If you are on the hash then it effectively eliminates the far end of the field. Less of the field to defense = more defense. How many NFL QB's will be able to throw an effective comeback and out to the far sideline with as fast as the DBs are? As the hashmarks are set right now the whole field is in play.
Old 06-21-17, 12:04 PM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
NBA --
Each team given 1 "unlimited" contract for 1 player. The rest of team are held to a team salary cap that would be much lower than today's.

Heard some of this on sports radio. The thinking is the top 10 players in the league could end up on 10 different teams with teams spending crazy money to get that player.

MLB
2 divisions in total (NL & AL). Only play your "rival" team from the opposite division. Equal number of games against others in division.

NHL
Regular season games go straight to shootout if tied at end of regulation.

NFL
OT becomes same as NCAA but start from opponent 40 yard line.
Old 06-21-17, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
MLB:
* Shorten the season.
* Play early season in domed and southern venues.
* Shorten the games. Reduce time for pitcher to deliver ball; cut down batters stepping out of the box; limit situational pitching changes.
* Hard salary cap.

NHL:
* Open the game up by eliminating icing and offsides. I want 17 to 16 games. LOL.

NBA:
* Enforce of eliminate rules (i.e. travelling, 3 seconds, carrying/palming, etc.).
* Move out the 3 point line.
* Hard salary cap.
* Shorten the season.
* First round playoffs- 3 games; second round- 5 games; third round and finals- 7 games.

NFL:
* Eliminate kickoffs- they've already done this for all intents and purposes with nearly every kickoff a touchback, so just kill it.
* Enforce rules to eliminate leading with the head.
* Shorten halftime.
Old 06-21-17, 02:29 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Shorten halftime.
You serious, Clark? NFL halftimes are 12 minutes long in the regular season.
Old 06-21-17, 02:54 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Make it 6!
Old 06-21-17, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
MLB:
* Shorten the season.
* Play early season in domed and southern venues.
* Shorten the games. Reduce time for pitcher to deliver ball; cut down batters stepping out of the box; limit situational pitching changes.
* Hard salary cap.

NHL:
* Open the game up by eliminating icing and offsides. I want 17 to 16 games. LOL.

NBA:
* Enforce of eliminate rules (i.e. travelling, 3 seconds, carrying/palming, etc.).
* Move out the 3 point line.
* Hard salary cap.
* Shorten the season.
* First round playoffs- 3 games; second round- 5 games; third round and finals- 7 games.

NFL:
* Eliminate kickoffs- they've already done this for all intents and purposes with nearly every kickoff a touchback, so just kill it.
* Enforce rules to eliminate leading with the head.
* Shorten halftime.
You cannot eliminate icing in hockey.... that rule keeps the flow.
Old 06-21-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
You serious, Clark? NFL halftimes are 12 minutes long in the regular season.
Good call Serpico. They feel like they're 12 hours long.
Old 06-21-17, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I guess that makes sense. I'll be honest in that I don't know hockey.
Old 06-21-17, 05:34 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
NFL Shorten season to get SB back into Jan.

MLB Shorten season to get WS back into mid Oct.

Salaries have to come back to a sane level, the ramifications they've brought to the ballpark are keeping "normal" folks to 1game a year, if that. I really don't know why there is such a scream to shorten baseball times. I get to Seattle, SF, or Oakland once or twice a season. I love my time at the ballpark, and I'm never in a hurry to leave. If it's too long on TV, DVR it, turn it on an hour later, and skip the commercials. Eliminate the Thursday night NFL game. I've pretty much lost total interest in the NBA and NHL.
Old 06-22-17, 02:05 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Mlb. Like another poster said, only 1 visit to the mound per inning, NOT 2 per pitcher. Also, get rid of infielders huddling and each one has to talk to the pitcher. Same with the catcher. 1 'timeout per inning per side. I'm tired of seeing staredowns of batter and pitcher just so the batter steps out just as the pitcher starts to th row

That 3 warm up pitch for relievers is a great idea. They already warmed up in the bullpen.

Get rid of home field advantage for the all star game winner. The all star game can be decided by a relief pitcher from San Diego pitching to a pinch hitter from Oakland and that determines who has home field between two 96 win teams??
Old 06-22-17, 06:21 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
NFL Shorten season to get SB back into Jan.

MLB Shorten season to get WS back into mid Oct.

Salaries have to come back to a sane level, the ramifications they've brought to the ballpark are keeping "normal" folks to 1game a year, if that. I really don't know why there is such a scream to shorten baseball times. I get to Seattle, SF, or Oakland once or twice a season. I love my time at the ballpark, and I'm never in a hurry to leave. If it's too long on TV, DVR it, turn it on an hour later, and skip the commercials. Eliminate the Thursday night NFL game. I've pretty much lost total interest in the NBA and NHL.
Please explain how salary increases have kept people from going to baseball games.
Old 06-22-17, 06:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I concur.

From what I had read there were teams who used to get a lead and then any time the puck was in their end they just sent it down ice and didn't even try to score.

Somewhat similar to the stall game in college hoops a few teams used to do.

Icing is instrumental in keeping the play going.
Old 06-22-17, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Please explain how salary increases have kept people from going to baseball games.
They are a major reason ticket, parking, and concession costs have increased so much, to the point a "normal" family can hardly afford to go. My wife got 4 tickets for the Tribe vs A's, on July 15. They were $69.00 a piece. Add 2 beers each, at $11.00 each, 2 hot dogs each at $8.00 each, plus parking. Tickets $276.00, beers $88.00, hot dogs $64.00, parking $20.00. We're now at $448.00, that's without gas, sovenenirs, and possibly a meal either coming or going, as it is a 2.5 hour drive to the stadium. I am well aware the it is very expensive to run a baseball team, but I think if some of these prices were lowered, you would have more than 15,000 fans showing up. We thought about going to Tribe vs Giants a few days later, but their prices are much higher than Oakland's. I just can't afford to pay $1,000.00 for 2 baseball games. I have been told the NFL and NBA costs make MLB's look like a bargain.
Old 06-22-17, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They are a major reason ticket, parking, and concession costs have increased so much, to the point a "normal" family can hardly afford to go. My wife got 4 tickets for the Tribe vs A's, on July 15. They were $69.00 a piece. Add 2 beers each, at $11.00 each, 2 hot dogs each at $8.00 each, plus parking. Tickets $276.00, beers $88.00, hot dogs $64.00, parking $20.00. We're now at $448.00, that's without gas, sovenenirs, and possibly a meal either coming or going, as it is a 2.5 hour drive to the stadium. I am well aware the it is very expensive to run a baseball team, but I think if some of these prices were lowered, you would have more than 15,000 fans showing up. We thought about going to Tribe vs Giants a few days later, but their prices are much higher than Oakland's. I just can't afford to pay $1,000.00 for 2 baseball games. I have been told the NFL and NBA costs make MLB's look like a bargain.
Complain about tickets and then buy expensive tickets and load up on food beer and overpriced souvenirs. Don't get all the extra sh-t and it wouldn't be that bad

I've gone to three Reds games this year, paid $12 for the seat and $5 got parking. Ate before the game, got a $4 bag of peanuts and a drink outside the stadium. Total $24. I'm sure the Indians offer close to the same prices if not cheaper.
Old 06-22-17, 01:12 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Agreed. But that is across all sports. Baseball is probably the most affordable of the 3 for me. I'm happy to just sit out in the bleachers and don't go to the concession stand for much.
Old 06-22-17, 01:14 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Complain about tickets and then buy expensive tickets and load up on food beer and overpriced souvenirs. Don't get all the extra sh-t and it wouldn't be that bad

I've gone to three Reds games this year, paid $12 for the seat and $5 got parking. Ate before the game, got a $4 bag of peanuts and a drink outside the stadium. Total $24. I'm sure the Indians offer close to the same prices if not cheaper.
I'm not sure there is any $5 parking near the Indians games. Maybe a decade ago but it seems like it's basically $15-$20 every where near the stadium when I have gone. I don't mind walking but even a few blocks from the stadium is still expensive.
Old 06-22-17, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

"I can't believe how much it costs to take a family of four out to dinner anymore. Took my family out to The Precinct and spent almost $1200 after we got a full three course meal and a bottle of fine wine. You just can't afford to do anything cheap anymore."
Old 06-22-17, 01:24 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Those bitching about player salaries and their relationship to ticket cost should take a look at Ohio State football tickets this year. A coworker has nose bleeds in C deck on the 10 yard line and his cost for the Penn State game is north of $150. And with that ticket you get 12" on a bench with no seat back in the middle of a crowd of 109K.
Old 06-22-17, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm not sure there is any $5 parking near the Indians games. Maybe a decade ago but it seems like it's basically $15-$20 every where near the stadium when I have gone. I don't mind walking but even a few blocks from the stadium is still expensive.
Ok, fine. But it's kind of ridiculous to complain about expensive prices and then go all out for the game with the extra stuff. Even after you spend $30 per on tickets and parking it still leaves plenty of room for a meal and drinks. It shouldn't cost anywhere near what he paid unless you just want to complain about things.
Old 06-22-17, 01:27 PM
All World

I started typing this before I got to the end of your post. You're in Cali, not Cleveland. Sp the first step to your solution is to not live in the most expensive state in the Contiguous United States. Examples stand. Well you're taking it to extremes. There's plenty of solutions to your "problem."

Tickets for a family of 4: Go to www.stubhub.com Find tickets from $12-$20. Max price: $80
Beer: Don't drink beer at the game.
Food: Eat somewhere outside the stadium. Butcher and the Brewer (assuming you're in Cleveland) for example. A reasonable meal for 4 with tip: $80
Parking: $20.

Now we're at $180. It's a simple solution. Don't be stupid with your money. Don't buy anything in the stadium. Go to McDonalds or KFC or Potbellys instead of spending 3x that on 8 hot dogs. Don't buy souvenirs from the actual pro shop when you can get the same thing for half the price elsewhere. If you want to go to baseball games, don't live 2.5 hours away from a stadium. That isn't the MLB's fault, that's on you. And also, it's a team by team thing. Sounds like the Indians don't really care about their fans. I can get tickets at the Reds for $7 a piece. It doesn't have much to do with salaries. It's supply and demand. Teams know they can still sell alcohol at $11/beer so they will. They know they can charge $8/hotdog so they will.
Old 06-22-17, 01:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
That doesn't really change his point whatsoever. Even if he paid $20 for parking for each game, on the year he's at $111 total for 3 games.

$12 x 3 for tickets
$20 x 3 for parking
$4 x 3 for peanuts
$1 x 3 for water.
Old 06-22-17, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

A's tickets start at $9 on stubhub. Paying $69 for tickets is pure stupidity because that entire stadium is terrible.
Old 06-22-17, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I started typing this before I got to the end of your post. You're in Cali, not Cleveland. Sp the first step to your solution is to not live in the most expensive state in the Contiguous United States. Examples stand. Well you're taking it to extremes. There's plenty of solutions to your "problem."

Tickets for a family of 4: Go to www.stubhub.com Find tickets from $12-$20. Max price: $80
Food: Eat somewhere outside the stadium. Butcher and the Brewer (assuming you're in Cleveland) for example. A reasonable meal for 4 with tip: $80

Now we're at $180. It's a simple solution. Don't be stupid with your money. Don't buy anything in the stadium. Go to McDonalds or KFC or Potbellys instead of spending 3x that on 8 hot dogs. Don't buy souvenirs from the actual pro shop when you can get the same thing for half the price elsewhere. If you want to go to baseball games, don't live 2.5 hours away from a stadium. That isn't the MLB's fault, that's on you. And also, it's a team by team thing. Sounds like the Indians don't really care about their fans. I can get tickets at the Reds for $7 a piece. It doesn't have much to do with salaries. It's supply and demand. Teams know they can still sell alcohol at $11/beer so they will. They know they can charge $8/hotdog so they will.
he reds do have 1 stand that always sells dollar hot dog and dollar soft drinks. Now they put It in an area that people don't just walk by and often see. You can also bring a small cooler into games with non alcohol drinks and snacks so there are ways around spending alot of jack. You can always find cheap parking as well, May habe to walk a little bit but still. Now....,when you do go to games it's always nice to splurge and get something to eat at the game.....pizza, whatever and most of thst stuff is expensice, we go to more minor league games than mlb. Closer and cheaper and better seats and view of the games
Old 06-22-17, 07:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

The tickets were a birthday-fathers day gift. There is no way in hell I'll buy all that stuff, other than a beer or 2. Just showing what costs are, to have the semi- complete ballpark experience. When I was a kid 50's&60's, we were not rich, had 6 kids in the family. My Dad, who didn't make a lot, would take me and my 3 brothers to Tribe games, 4-5 times a season,and we could afford to have that experience. Professional sporting events have gotten very expensive, especially for a blue collar family.
I've lived in Ohio, Oregon, SoCal, and NorCal, and travelled all over the U.S., I'll take the NorCal mountains hands down over any other place I've been. We all have our own preferences, those are mine and I'm sure everyone else has theirs, which is good or we'd all be living in the same place.
Old 06-22-17, 08:18 PM
All World

The complete ballpark experience is going to the game and having a good time with the people you're with. Having really good seats at professional sporting events have gotten very expensive. It's already been shown that it is only an expensive experience if you make it that way. Take your NorCal mountains, just don't b*tch about not being close to an MLB stadium. Sounds like you just want to complain to complain.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: