Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-18, 05:19 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Everyone gets a perfect score!

4. Zunardo - " Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer" is correct by Nat King Cole.

10. "Day-O" by Harry Belafonte - major force in the early Civil Rights' movement

13. "Manic Monday" - yes, Susan Crofts is a babe.

11. Monclova - What we lost the day the music died. ""That'll be The Day"

15. Monclova - Now this was roc kand roll! "Pleasant Valley Sunday" by The Monkees. I was a frosh when their tv show came on. I liked some of their songs; not so much anymore.

21. Monclova - Whether it's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "Why Don't We Get Drunk And *&^%$", what a brand the pirate created!!
Old 02-09-18, 05:33 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Dang, that's what I get for working!
Old 02-09-18, 05:35 PM
All Region

22. Donovan-" Good Morning, Starshine"
Old 02-09-18, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I'll pay yappicoins to get the quiz in my pm 24 hrs in advance. They could be worth something someday.
Old 02-09-18, 08:30 PM
All Region

I worked at an office in Los Angeles (Century City Medical Office, to be exact) from 1982-1985. Peter Cetera, lead singer of Chicago, used to come in often enough for me to talk to him and get to know him a little. What a good looking, kind man he was! We talked music and babies, as his wife was pregnant with their first at the same time I was pregnant with my first. (She had complications and had to be on bed rest.)

One day I asked him what 25 or 6 to 4 meant.

When Bob Lamm wrote it, it was very late at night and he couldn't see the clock clearly. The hands said either 25 minutes or six minutes to four in the morning.

You're welcome.

Terry Kath's widow, Camilla, came in, too. Very sweet woman.
Old 02-09-18, 09:12 PM
All American

Diva - Great story! Wrong answer but a good shot nevertheless. I believe the answer to this question is a singer who also sang the theme from a pretty popular movie in the early 70's/late 60's.
Old 02-09-18, 11:50 PM
All American

Looks like we need: 1, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 17, 18, 19 and 20.

Last edited by Bevo; 02-10-18 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 10:49 AM
All American

Clues:

6. Blind country star who had the hit "Smokey Mountain Rain."

18. Beatles' song with very unusual sounds.

Last edited by Bevo; 02-10-18 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 11:14 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
8. Good Day Sunshine -- The Beatles

14. Tuesday Afternoon -- The Moody Blues

Did I ever tell you you give GREAT clues?
Old 02-10-18, 11:27 AM
All American

They are great! Right on 8. and 14. with "Good Day Sunshine" and "Tuesday Afternoon", respectively.
Old 02-10-18, 01:14 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
1. "Blue sky, sunshine what a day to take a walk in the park." - "Lazy Day", by Spanky & Our Gang

22. "My love and me as we are singing our early morning singing song." - as Diva indicated, "Good Morning Starshine" - by Oliver
Old 02-10-18, 01:57 PM
All American

Zurnado and Diva - sorry; missed that correct response. 22. Is "Good Morning Starshine" by Oliver. What was his other big hit from a popular movie?

1. Zurnado with Spanky and Our Gang and "Lazy Day." Loved their sound!
Old 02-10-18, 01:59 PM
All American

Check the list above for what is left.
Old 02-10-18, 03:13 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Just in from a quick 24-hour "Scavenger Hunt". According to what I think is remaining, I'll go with the following:

12. "If by chance I see you at the tavern, we'd smile at one another and we'd say."
"Those Were The Days", Mary Hopkin
17. "And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had another for dessert."
"Sunday Morning Coming Down", Kris Kristopherson
19. "We live in a world of carnivals and clowns. And buildings to the sky that makes us want to fly."
"Tomorrow", Strawberry Alarm Clock

ROCK ON!
Old 02-10-18, 03:18 PM
All American

OWK scores big with Mary Hopkins at 12.

And, of course, he would hit on the Sunday Morning Coming Down (probably tipped a few with Coach Huggs long ago ). No. 17

But, 19. - there is no other way to say it, is not only groovy but freaks me out!! Yes, my favorite group in the fall of '67 - THE Strawberry Alarm Clock. Actually, I loved "Incense and Peppermints" and "Tomorrow." Out -a - sight!
Old 02-10-18, 06:36 PM
All American

5. Ronnie Milsap with Any Day Now.

18. Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles

20. Friday on My Mind - The Easybeats (also Drew Carey's tv show band The Horn Dogs featuring Joe Walsh).

I believe that is it.

Last edited by Bevo; 02-10-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 11:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
The Floaters is correct as the group that had the #2 hit, " Float On" and this officially ends the 1977 quiz. This Detroit soul group was a One Hit Wonder and the coolest thing I can add about these guys is the fact that Cheech and Chong nearly hit the Top 40 with a parody of " Float On" called "Bloat On" by The Bloaters. The tune reached # 41 missing the Top 40 by a single song.

JB
Deja vu all over again. A friend of mine in Las Vegas posted a video this evening of him "live" on FB, at an "Old School 105.7 Love Affair" show taking place this in Vegas - what are the odds this song shows up?

https://www.facebook.com/lloyd.phill...0057124694721/
Old 02-10-18, 11:57 PM
All American

12 potential recruits at the OSU/Iowa game Sat. One five star forward; and a three star guard who was offered.
Old 02-11-18, 06:06 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Where were you in '62

Where were you in '62

On this date 1962 # 1 hit...

Gene Chandler (the Duke)

:>---

EGA
Old 02-11-18, 09:56 PM
All American

I use to sing this as I walked my paper route. Life was really good; very happy! I was 10 year old fifth grader at East School. One block from my house.
Old 02-12-18, 08:38 PM
All American

OSU men's hoops amazingly find themselves at 22-5 and raked 8th. in the country. I thought they would lose twenty! Beyond shocking!!
Old 02-12-18, 09:16 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
OSU men's hoops amazingly find themselves at 22-5 and raked 8th. in the country. I thought they would lose twenty! Beyond shocking!!
Yes Bevo, it is absolutely amazing that the Buckeyes are doing so well. Chris Holtmann was given an 8-year contract because the administration thought it would take quite awhile to turn around a program in distress. Let's just enjoy the ride.

Also of interest, the state of Ohio has THREE teams ranked in the top eight: #4 Xavier, #5 Cincinnati and #8 OSU:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

On this date in music history (Feb. 12, 1972), Al Green's "Let Stay Together" reached #1 in the USA. Here's a video from 1972:

ROCK ON!
Old 02-13-18, 06:37 AM
All Region

I was 5 in 1962 and not listening to the radio yet unless my parents had it on. However, I played records. Tons of them. All the Disney records, Flintstones, children's songs, etc. I don't think kids today know songs like "Red River Valley" and "Goodbye, Old Paint". I knew The Nutcracker music very well because Mom would play that as we were going to sleep. I got up in the middle of the night once and put it on, bringing her downstairs wondering why music was playing.

My dad was in the Boise Philharmonic, so I also knew orchestral music at that time. I thought it was magnificent! He played violin. He used the same tuning song every single time. He lost a bit of his touch, but he played at our mother's funeral nearly three years ago. He has since joined her last year.

So no, I didn't know "Duke of Earl"; but my musical education was well under way.
Old 02-13-18, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I wasn't that old, I was only 4 and a half. Didn't have records of my own, that quarter allowance would buy two comicbooks and pay the tax but Ma played Swing stuff, Rat Pack, Nat King Cole, Billy Holiday...
Old 02-13-18, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

The Movie that got me interested in Greek Mythology, after this I would go to the library
on nasty weather days and read chapters in Bulfinch's Mythology.

1955 - Ulysses

Kirk Douglas as Ulysses

Greek hero Odysseus (Roman ~ Ulysses), king of Ithaca, his journey home after
the fall of Troy. His wife Penelope is besieged by suiters to acquire the throne of
Ithaca.
Scene...
Penelope, announces in her long interview with the disguised Odysseus that whoever can
string Odysseus's rigid bow and shoot an arrow through twelve axe heads may have her hand.

EGA
Old 02-13-18, 12:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I was 5 in 1962 and not listening to the radio yet unless my parents had it on. However, I played records. Tons of them. All the Disney records, Flintstones, children's songs, etc. I don't think kids today know songs like "Red River Valley" and "Goodbye, Old Paint". I knew The Nutcracker music very well because Mom would play that as we were going to sleep. I got up in the middle of the night once and put it on, bringing her downstairs wondering why music was playing.
Very precocious!

The first records I grew up with were my dad's polka albums, and Ray Budzilek was king at our house. "Ice Cubes and Beer" was probably the first song I learned to sing from a record player. Not sure what says about my father's influence!

One of the first records I got was an LP of children's songs and I played it to death. I don't know if I ever heard the songs Red River or Old Paint, but I did learn the U.S. Army "Caissons" song from that LP.

I also owned a set of Disney 78's in 1962. I think two of them have survived to this day, amazingly. One of them has "Buckwheat Cakes", sung by Buddy Ebsen and Darlene Gillespie. I think it may have been featured on the Mickey Mouse Club show at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Scene...
Penelope, announces in her long interview with the disguised Odysseus that whoever can
string Odysseus's rigid bow and shoot an arrow through twelve axe heads may have her hand.

EGA
That's a pretty cool studio logo. We just saw "The Shape Of Water" over the weekend, I think TSG was involved with it.

Old 02-13-18, 01:42 PM
All American

Diva - that is very poignant and beautiful. I am sure they loved you very much and obviously had a lot to do with who you are today. They did good.
Old 02-13-18, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

Fat tuesday...

New Orleans...

Rio...

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday...
Old 02-13-18, 02:35 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

My dad was in the Boise Philharmonic, so I also knew orchestral music at that time. I thought it was magnificent! He played violin. He used the same tuning song every single time. He lost a bit of his touch, but he played at our mother's funeral nearly three years ago. He has since joined her last year.

So no, I didn't know "Duke of Earl"; but my musical education was well under way.
What a wonderful and loving family you were a part of, Diva. It's easy to see how you fit right in. Judging from your posts, you have clearly carried that love and warmth throughout your life.
Great post.
Old 02-13-18, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

Believe it or not, I like Classical Music

Ahhhh...Classical Music;
I would usually listen to classical music when doing school home work.

- - -

A gift from a girl I was dating in H.S. (I heard thru the grapevine, that later, she left
a guy at he altar ~ it wasn't me).

One of my favorite classical movements

The Grand Canyon Suite by composer Ferde Grofé

I visited the Grand Canyon in the summer of 1964.

My good friend and fellow Air Scout was leaving for the Army in the Fall.
I had a 1962 Austin Healy Sprite Mk.II (first year post 'Bug-eye')...
Bug-Eye / AKA / Frog-Eye .... Post Bug-Eye

Baby blue in color AM radio and a CB (years ahead of the '70s fad).

Apx. 28-mpg 2700 miles at 30˘ +/- per gallon cash no credit cards around $30 one way.
(insert "Those Were The Days" ie. Mary Hopkin: here my friends)

We each had $100 in our pocket, left Canton and drove to Chicago via US 30 (part of the
Lincoln Highway) to pick up US 66 and traversed it all the way to California; taking a
few side trips along the way, The Canyon stop was one of them. Overnights were for
the most part tenting at Scout Camps.

In California we stayed with my Grandmother who lived in Fontana. Spent 6 weeks there;
also picked up extra cash doing part time work stocking shelves at a local IGA in the late
evening a couple times a week. Saw plenty of sights and learned to surf, Egad...
the California Pacific is chilly.
Granny was a wild one in her day and that’s another story.

- - - -

We must not forget lots of children got the intro to the classics via Disney

- - - -

Scheherazade (Rimsky-Korsakov) / I must have 10 albums by various orchestras

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 02-13-18 at 07:01 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: