Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-18, 03:45 PM
All World

Bballer05
i agree. my stress level was raised a few bars last night.

Naji did a nice job on Martin late in the game, although he had brain fart/dumb foul when he got mad right after we got a stop/rebound with under 2 minutes. he pushed his arms out and fouled the Butler guy in frustration. it was 80-73 at that point. 7 point lead with the ball with under 2 minutes and the chance to run off 30 seconds. instead they got the ball back.

he's a freshmen. he will learn. love his defensive intensity. he and Gates can be great defensive stoppers next year. he also hit a huge 3 to start the OT.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-18, 03:52 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Good observations, Bballer05.
Perhaps I should have said that Naji has shed MOST of his freshman wings .
You're right about that foul. At that point in the game, pretty much all X had to do was not make dumb mistakes -- like that one.
Oh well, that's why I love college basketball. These guys are good, but they're still learning.
Old 02-08-18, 07:37 AM
All World

Bballer05
#1 and #3 lost. Nova lost to St. Johns but they were also missing two guys to injuries.

Purdue lost to OSU after being up 11-2 with about 7 minutes to go. that's a big road win for OSU. they will be top 10 after this week.

X has a chance, if they take care of business at Creighton, to jump to #3. Purdue plays MSU (#4) saturday so that could shake things up even more if Purdue wins.
Old 02-08-18, 08:21 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Exciting times in Cincinnati as both UC and XU should be ranked in the top 5.
Old 02-08-18, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Bearcats go to Moody Coliseum this weekend, I know SMU is down but this is a trap game before they head to Houston in a week. Typically a game the Bearcats lose, though they've proven to be different so far this year.
Old 02-08-18, 11:01 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Just being honest, I am fully expecting a loss at Creighton on Saturday. CenturyLink is probably one of the Top 10 toughest places to play in America and if X does lose, they likely drop a few spots.

For UC, SMU is down yet another player (one of their better ones) and are currently at 7 available scholarship players. Not a good situation when facing UC's defense. UC should very well walk away with a win.
Old 02-08-18, 11:18 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I didn't realize Creighton was such a tough place to play! That, coupled with an emotional OT win I could see a loss. Still think they walk away with a win though, especially if Macura finds his shot again.
Old 02-08-18, 12:22 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I didn't realize Creighton was such a tough place to play! That, coupled with an emotional OT win I could see a loss. Still think they walk away with a win though, especially if Macura finds his shot again.
Yep. CenturyLink holds like 20,000 and people in Omaha get pretty nuts.

Macura is a key to victory in this one, I agree. Tyrique Jones being available would help as well. He didn't play vs. Butler due to a shoulder injury and was in a sling.
Old 02-08-18, 12:31 PM
All World

Bballer05
If Creighton was 100% and had same squad as last time X played, i'd tend to agree that they'd have the edge, but losing their big guy for the year has hurt them, as you saw last night they needed a miracle 3 just to get past Depaul.

i look for a fast start from the Muskies to get the crowd out of the game early.

i think Creighton will still keep it close because of the home court advantage but i think X still finds a way to pull it out.
Old 02-08-18, 01:43 PM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Playing at Creighton is no picnic, even when they are shorthanded. Jays are favored by 2 points on Kenpom.

However...

I think Kanter and O'mara should have another big game. Creighton is decent on defense overall, but they really struggle in the interior. They are 304th in blocked shot percentage, and allow opponents to shoot 50% from inside the arc. They are terrible at forcing turnovers as well.

On defense for the Muskies it will be all about limiting perimeter looks. Creighton gets over a third of their points from deep. If X can contain that and play through the post on offense I think they can pull out another big road win.
Old 02-09-18, 08:59 AM
All World

Bballer05
none of this means anything if we don't beat Creighton, but if Purdue beats MSU, we have a legit shot at being ranked #2, as Nova, Purdue, and MSU would've all lost this week.

ya never know.

beat creighton and we should be on one of the 1 seed lines in their "bracketology" show that they have where they actually announce who the seeds would be at this point, if the tourney started Sunday.

i think they only do the top 4 seeds in each region but i can't remember.
Old 02-09-18, 10:57 AM
All American

WestSideBomber, you're correct when you say playing at Creighton is no picnic.
Bballer05, you're right when you say none of this means anything if we don't beat Creighton.

Oh yes, I get a charge out of seeing X as a #1 seed @ both CBS and ESPN's bracketologies. It's cool seeing X in the top 5 of the polls.

However, Creighton is next to impossible to beat in Omaha. The Bluejays will also be playing for similar things as Xavier.....a better place in the Big East standings and a better seed for both tournaments. If X wins there, that's all I need. Just a big W.

The rankings will all take care of themselves.
Old 02-12-18, 07:43 AM
All World

Bballer05
found a way against Creighton, albeit a little lucky at the end. however, sometimes you get the calls and sometimes you don't. X got one and Q knocked down the FT's. still a W.

chance to move to #2 today with 1-2-3 all losing this week but i'm guessing we end up #3.

HUGE week for the Muskies.

home vs. SHU, then home vs. Nova.
Old 02-12-18, 08:50 AM
All American

Hopefully X won't get caught up in all the rankings and seeding hoopla.
Old 02-12-18, 12:22 PM
All World

Bballer05
AP POLL:

4 XU
5 UC

both in the top 5 is pretty cool to have.

X got 5 first place votes.
Old 02-14-18, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
X looking good. Hopefully they can keep it going Saturday.
Old 02-15-18, 07:41 AM
All World

Bballer05
nova lost to Prov last night. they had Pascal back but still no Booth. not sure if the injuries to a couple guys are taking a toll on the rest of the team, i.e., having to play more minutes, etc but Brunson and Bridges both fouled out. Nova also had an uncharacteristic 17 TO's.

i'm guessing they will have it figured out by Saturday.

let's hope X brings their first half defense from last night for an entire game.

atmosphere is going to be crazy.
Old 02-16-18, 09:28 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Approximately 30 hours from the biggest game in Xavier history. I know sometimes it seems hyperbole, however there is no doubt how large tomorrow's game is. Xavier has a chance to put a stranglehold on their first Big East Championship. A win tomorrow also puts a stranglehold on a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, as even a loss down the strecth would do little to hurt their seed.

Xavier right now is getting some very consistent production from Q and Kanter. The X-Factors tomorrow will be Gates and Tyrique Jones. Villanova can be a tough match-up for O'Mara since he would have to defend away from the basket, so getting Gates and Tyrique Jones in the game and active on both ends will be key.

Personally, I think Bluiett goes off again tomorrow and the determining factor will be what can they get from JP. If both JP and Bluiett have great games, this team is nearly impossible to beat at the Cintas Center.
Old 02-16-18, 09:42 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Approximately 30 hours from the biggest game in Xavier history. I know sometimes it seems hyperbole, however there is no doubt how large tomorrow's game is. Xavier has a chance to put a stranglehold on their first Big East Championship. A win tomorrow also puts a stranglehold on a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, as even a loss down the strecth would do little to hurt their seed.

Xavier right now is getting some very consistent production from Q and Kanter. The X-Factors tomorrow will be Gates and Tyrique Jones. Villanova can be a tough match-up for O'Mara since he would have to defend away from the basket, so getting Gates and Tyrique Jones in the game and active on both ends will be key.

Personally, I think Bluiett goes off again tomorrow and the determining factor will be what can they get from JP. If both JP and Bluiett have great games, this team is nearly impossible to beat at the Cintas Center.
i do believe Gates is the "X factor" as well, at least based on past 5-6 games as he has struggled to find his shot. when he's hitting from 3, it opens up a lot of other things. I think Jones, OMara, and Kanter can win one on one matchups in the post. i'm guessing Nova won't double down much, especially with Q and Scruggs starting to hit from outside.

not sure if Booth will be back or not but how we defend as a team vs. Brunson, DeVincenzo, and Bridges will be the key. CANNOT let them go off from 3 like they seem to do EVERY time they play us.

love to see Tre get off to the same start he had vs. SHU.

also think with our depth and their lack of depth, we can run a little bit to create some easy baskets in transition.

should be an awesome game.
Old 02-17-18, 07:04 PM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
'Nova catches JP and company with their pants down and delivers another butt kicking (yet again). Just cannot beat them
Old 02-17-18, 11:34 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Ouch, yeah, not a good game. Kanter and Gates were big no shows.
Old 02-18-18, 05:01 AM
All American

I don't know where the real Kaiser Gates has gone (0 points, 0 rebounds, 2 turnovers, poor defense yesterday), but X REALLY needs him back.

That said, X didn't play perfectly; but they didn't play poorly either. Villanova just showed why they're still top dog in the Big East (and possibly nationally). All credit to them.
Old 02-18-18, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
'Nova catches JP and company with their pants down and delivers another butt kicking (yet again). Just cannot beat them
I guess that's what happens playing in a legitimate conference, as opposed to playing in the AAC where losing at home to a Borderline Top 25 team is an accomplishment.
Old 02-19-18, 05:27 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Xavier did not have a chance Saturday, nor would have any other team in the country had a chance Saturday vs Nova. When Nova shoots that well, even with many of their threes being contested, no one stands a chance. It was really that simple. I mean when Nova would actually go on a short scoring drought Xavier would get the game back to 3-5 pts, only for Nova to go two to three processions in a row with three pointers.
Old 02-19-18, 08:54 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Xavier did not have a chance Saturday, nor would have any other team in the country had a chance Saturday vs Nova. When Nova shoots that well, even with many of their threes being contested, no one stands a chance. It was really that simple. I mean when Nova would actually go on a short scoring drought Xavier would get the game back to 3-5 pts, only for Nova to go two to three processions in a row with three pointers.
Agreed. On this day, X didn't play awful. Villanova just played extremely well -- only 6 turnovers, 60% FG (16/34 on 3's), 25 assists on 38 made baskets. All credit to them.

Jerry Palm @ CBS had X as the #2 overall seed, 'Nova as the #3. Afterwards, he simply switched the two teams in his Bracketology. So both teams are still #1 seeds in his bracket.
Old 02-20-18, 07:37 AM
All World

Bballer05
it comes down to this simple fact: Nova is just BETTER than X. not that hard to see. not saying X couldn't beat them but Nova certainly has them figured out. we could play them 10 times and maybe win 2.

this is also true: Brunson, DeVincenzo, and Brigdes > Q, JP, and Tre. that's a fact. that's the difference. their best players are better than our best players. and they showed it Saturday.

and the "X factor" i mentioned earlier, GATES, was invisible vs. Nova. had plenty of great looks. just has no confidence in his shot right now and this time it led him to playing horrible on the other end of the floor, which in turn, made him play the least minutes he's played since he was a frosh.

he's got to get his confidence back for X to be able make a deep run in the tourney. they need another perimeter threat to take the pressure off JP and Tre to have to score all the time.

at Georgetown will be no joke. hope they come ready.
Old 02-20-18, 03:07 PM
All American

It's a GREAT year to be a Xavier fan!
Old 02-22-18, 07:40 AM
All World

Bballer05
when you can go on the road and win by 14 when Bluiett only scores 2, i'd say that's a good win.

Q, JP and Naji led the way.

scary moment when Q went down with a knee running into Scruggs, but ultimately came back and played well.

a week off to get ready for Providence at home.
Old 02-22-18, 10:57 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Baller

Do you think it is mostly mental when it comes to Xavier vs Nova? Or is it scheme, matchup problem, etc. Talent differential?

I think all of them play some part but I tho k it almost seems like there is a mental block. Curious to your thoughts and other Xavier fans. It's weird bc when Xavier gets in the tourney they seem to have a no fear attitude towards any opponent and have had great success because of it.
Old 02-22-18, 11:06 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Baller

Do you think it is mostly mental when it comes to Xavier vs Nova? Or is it scheme, matchup problem, etc. Talent differential?

I think all of them play some part but I tho k it almost seems like there is a mental block. Curious to your thoughts and other Xavier fans. It's weird bc when Xavier gets in the tourney they seem to have a no fear attitude towards any opponent and have had great success because of it.
i do think some of it's mental.

i think some of it is scheme/talent - meaning that no matter what Xavier tries to "scheme or run against them", be it offensively or defensively, Nova always seems to have an answer. I don't think our defense is as bad as Nova made it look. yes, they had some open 3's but a lot were contested, tough 3's that Nova just made.

Wright seems to find the right guys that fit into their "system" and then gets them to perform successfully in the that system. Having Brunson, who i think should be NPOY this year, doesn't hurt. when you have two guys in that category (Bridges as well), it helps. add Devicenzo, Spellman, and now a healthy Booth and Nova could easily find themselves in the FF, if not playing for another National Title.

here's an article that goes a little in depth as to how Nova has built this culture over the last 5 years or so. it's impressive what they've done in that time frame.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-five-year-run