Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-18, 12:22 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
60 point game for Taylor Mikesell

Senior Taylor Mikesell scores 60 points tonight to become the leading all-time career point leader in Stark County (2,049) and hits 14 (of 17) 3 pointers to break a state record en route to an 82-58 win over Fitch.

Her coach declared, “I’ve seen a lot of great performances, but 14 of 17 from 3, with the degree of difficulty of those shots, is absolutely incredible...With all due respect to all the players across the state of Ohio, if there’s an argument for Ms. Basketball — with this game film, the argument is over.”

Meanwhile, McKinley's junior Kierstan Bell scored 31 tonight in their win over Hathaway Brown and is 25 points from joining the 2,000 career points club (Mikesell and Alston). She has also became the McKinley career rebound leader with 690.

Stark County has some seriously good talent this year. Cincinnati does as well, but I suspect Ms. Ohio will come out of Stark....who gets it will likely depend on tournament performance.

Last edited by just a fan; 02-11-18 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-18, 01:04 AM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
Pretty much just Taylor being Taylor tonight.
Old 02-11-18, 06:01 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
I have to disagree a little Taylor is a great player and a great marksman. But, heads up Gilmour's Naz Hilmon out played her in a game in December. Today And went 36 points 25 rebounds 7 steals against. State ranked Laurel. Often it not what you do, it's when you do it and against whom. On December 23rd Final score 72-41 Jackson was a taller team but Naz controlled the tempo of the game. Out playing Taylor 23-17 i believe. Taylor is the best shooter around, Naz or Kristen are better all around players.

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 02-11-18 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
I have to disagree a little Taylor is a great player and a great marksman. But, heads up Gilmour's Naz Hilmon out played her in a game in December. Today And went 36 points 25 rebounds 7 steals against. State ranked Laurel. Often it not what you do, it's when you do it and against whom. On December 23rd Final score 72-41 Jackson was a taller team but Naz controlled the tempo of the game. Out playing Taylor 23-17 i believe. Taylor is the best shooter around, Naz or Kristen are better all around players.
You're right, instead of just congratulating her for an outstanding accomplishment, let's use ONE game to make a determination of her quality. It's sad, to see that nobody can receive recognition without someone else interjecting with unrelated nonsense. CONGRATS TAYLOR!! Great game and great player.
Old 02-11-18, 10:16 AM
Junior Varsity

simpleman is on a distinguished road
Overlooked

As fans of girls basketball we are lucky to have two of the best high school players in the nation In Bell and Mikesoll, putting on shows weekly for us in Stark County. But I also think the coaches of these two players, Anthony Butch of Jackson and his staff, and Pam Davis of McKinley and her staff do a tremendous job of getting these girls the ball in scoring position. Thats not an easy task when every night every teams defensive schemes are some combination of best defenders, box and ones, double teams, immediate traps etc.
Much respect to these terrific players, and their coaches!
Old 02-11-18, 01:11 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Very impressive !
Old 02-11-18, 02:43 PM
Varsity

JINX is on a distinguished road
Smile Ms. Basketball

It is always hard to pick Ms. Basketball but let's hope it involves an all around player. Good Luck K. Bell!
Old 02-12-18, 09:34 AM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Any word on colleges for Mikesell?
Old 02-12-18, 09:40 AM
All American

I am so sorry. I, promise to never have an opinion ever again on this site....
Old 02-12-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Any word on colleges for Mikesell?
Maryland.
Old 02-12-18, 12:29 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Very impressive !
This.
Old 02-12-18, 12:29 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
I am so sorry. I, promise to never have an opinion ever again on this site....
Ignore him.
Old 02-12-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK93 View Post
You're right, instead of just congratulating her for an outstanding accomplishment, let's use ONE game to make a determination of her quality. It's sad, to see that nobody can receive recognition without someone else interjecting with unrelated nonsense. CONGRATS TAYLOR!! Great game and great player.
Do you realize how hypocritical that is considering in the article itself, the Jackson coach (who has been on a crusade all year esp in the media to proclaim her Ms. Basketball) based Ms. Basketball on one single game. CVC's post was spot on.
Old 02-12-18, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
BOTH are incredible players but the constant need to compare them has gotten old and played out. They are completely different type players... it's a Curry vs Lebron type comparison.... and since Jackson's coach is putting on this campaign publicly, might as well throw out there that Bell is the league leader or in area leaders in just about every statistical category (including the key one here being assists) AND is the area's leading scorer... Jackson fans can also save the "ball hog" comments that have been all too common lately ... we don't want to make the comparison on who constitutes more of their team's offense especially lately. Bell also recently became McKinley's all time leading rebounder and will pass 2,000 pts herself soon and is not far behind Mikesell's point total.
Old 02-12-18, 03:53 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
If the post had been merely congratualatory and spelling out her accomplishments then I would see why you are upset by the comments about other players but it wasn't. Sounded like a discussion was opened up about Ms. Basketball when your post mentioned other players and the Ms. Basketball competition.If you didn't want one then don't mention it and just offer up her incredible performance for congratulating- always happy to see players have outstanding performances! Congratulations Taylor- have seen her play and she is increbikbky higb IQ mixed with sharp shooting skills for days!
Old 02-12-18, 09:45 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
As fans of girls basketball we are lucky to have two of the best high school players in the nation In Bell and Mikesoll, putting on shows weekly for us in Stark County. But I also think the coaches of these two players, Anthony Butch of Jackson and his staff, and Pam Davis of McKinley and her staff do a tremendous job of getting these girls the ball in scoring position. Thats not an easy task when every night every teams defensive schemes are some combination of best defenders, box and ones, double teams, immediate traps etc.
Much respect to these terrific players, and their coaches!
Well said!

As McGal pointed out....there's no value in comparing these two players. They are both great but they are very different.

Best of luck to both players and their teams as they transition to the playoffs!
Old 02-12-18, 10:12 PM
All American

I will bet either one of them would give up a Ms. Basketball title for a chance to hold up the D1 trophy in Columbus...
Old 02-12-18, 10:14 PM
All American

Caleb, I’m very impressed with Taylor. I sat next to her mother at a game and told her so....you are reading way too much into this then it has to be....
Old 02-13-18, 02:34 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
If I drink enough beer I can pee for hours in match play.

PS ~ I prefer wine.

:>---

EGA
Old 02-13-18, 06:14 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Bell also recently became McKinley's all time leading rebounder and will pass 2,000 pts herself soon and is not far behind Mikesell's point total.

And she still has another year to play..so there's that.
Old 02-16-18, 06:37 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
Bell also recently became McKinley's all time leading rebounder and will pass 2,000 pts herself soon and is not far behind Mikesell's point total.

And she still has another year to play..so there's that.
BAM!...Let's Just Win Girls!
Old 02-16-18, 09:31 AM
All American

I believe the Ms. Basketball voting is by region. Four players are chosen by region. Canton-Toledo/Cleveland/Columbus/Cincy. I, could be wrong but that’s how it was done last year. Only one of the two will be in the final four. You can figure it out when they name the D1 player of the year ..
Old 02-16-18, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Ms. Basketball is regional and only district POY's are eligible that is correct.. it's also an AP/press voted award I'm pretty sure.