Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win each district in the DIV Canton?
[Norton] Central Christian (Kidron) 5 15.63%
[Norton] Cuyahoga Heights (Cuyahoga Heights) 5 15.63%
[Norton] Dalton (Dalton) 5 15.63%
[Norton] Heritage Christian School (Canton) 3 9.38%
[Norton] Hillsdale (Jeromesville) 3 9.38%
[Norton] Independence (Independence) 3 9.38%
[Norton] Lake Center Christian School (Hartville) 5 15.63%
[Norton] Lake Ridge Academy (North Ridgeville) 3 9.38%
[Norton] Mapleton (Ashland) 3 9.38%
[Norton] Oberlin (Oberlin) 4 12.50%
[Norton] Open Door Christian (Elyria) 3 9.38%
[Norton] Rittman (Rittman) 12 37.50%
[Norton] Whitney M Young School (Cleveland) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Badger (Kinsman) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Bloomfield (N Bloomfield) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Bristol (Bristolville) 4 12.50%
[Orwell] Chalker (Southington) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Cornerstone Christian (Willoughby) 23 71.88%
[Orwell] John F Kennedy (Warren) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Lordstown (Warren) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Maplewood (Cortland) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Mathews (Vienna) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Newbury (Newbury) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Richmond Heights (Richmond Hts) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] St John School (Ashtabula) 3 9.38%
[Orwell] Windham (Windham) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] David Anderson (Lisbon) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] East Canton (East Canton) 5 15.63%
[Struthers] Heartland Christian School (Columbiana) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Jackson-Milton (North Jackson) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Leetonia (Leetonia) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Lowellville (Lowellville) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Mc Donald (Mcdonald) 16 50.00%
[Struthers] Sebring Mc Kinley (Sebring) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Springfield (New Middletown) 4 12.50%
[Struthers] St Thomas Aquinas (Louisville) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Valley Christian School (Youngstown) 4 12.50%
[Struthers] Wellsville (Wellsville) 3 9.38%
[Struthers] Western Reserve (Berlin Center) 4 12.50%
[Willard] Buckeye Central (New Washington) 3 9.38%
[Willard] Colonel Crawford (Crestline) 3 9.38%
[Willard] Crestline (Crestline) 3 9.38%
[Willard] Danbury (Lakeside) 3 9.38%
[Willard] Lucas (Lucas) 3 9.38%
[Willard] Mansfield Christian (Mansfield) 4 12.50%
[Willard] Monroeville (Monroeville) 3 9.38%
[Willard] Plymouth (Plymouth) 3 9.38%
[Willard] South Central (Greenwich) 3 9.38%
[Willard] St Mary Central Catholic (Sandusky) 3 9.38%
[Willard] St Paul (Norwalk) 3 9.38%
[Willard] St Peter's (Mansfield) 16 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-18, 10:23 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
DIV Canton Regional

Discuss the DIV Canton and pick a champion from each district...

Brackets:
Norton: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20626&not=13
Orwell: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20781&not=13
Struthers: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20416&not=13
Willard: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20355&not=12
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 10:31 PM
All District

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
Biased CCA Parent

Cornerstone
Old 02-12-18, 10:41 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Cornerstone and St. Peter's seem like shoe-ins to get to Canton. McDonald is the favorite in Struthers but they'll run into teams good enough to pull an upset each round. Norton who knows that seems like a toss up
Old 02-13-18, 02:06 PM
Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point
D4

McDonald - watchout for Valley Christian and a few others but they have two great players.

CCA - Richmond and JFK can beat them but no way on Bristol, and Windham is garbage. Disappointing that the Bristol coach got all his conference buddies to vote how he wanted. Richmond didn't deserve that. Bristol gets everyone to vote against CCA for the number one seed last year because of their "state ranking" now does the opposite this year because he wants an easy path to the district finals. Shameful.

I can't see Rittman making much noise

#1 team in the state - St. Peter - I don't know very well but obviously they are talented
Old 02-13-18, 05:18 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
I have to chime in here with McDonald.. No sights on the state again this year. Historically, not successful making it to the Schott. Maybe when Rasile gets a chance his junior and senior year, but JFK always makes it tough. CCA will go down as soon as you know who departs.
Old 02-14-18, 11:06 AM
Moderated User

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Wow a lot of differing opinions...
Old 02-14-18, 12:24 PM
All Ohio

beaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookgymdaze View Post
Word on the street is Rasile might be playing the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" game next year with rumors flying that he is moving his boy to JFK to play with and against "better talent". More like the cupboard, while not bare at McDonald by far, is not a packed full of talent as in the past and some other league teams have some good younger talent waiting for their turn to compete.
If true would hate to see him go. What is true is McDonald don't have much talent past Rasile next year. Enough to beat Sebring, but probably not enough to win District Championships. He wouldn't be the 1st kid to transfer to a parochial school to play better talent. Maybe the Devil's will get a few players to bring their talents to McDonald.
Old 02-14-18, 01:38 PM
Varsity

really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
If true would hate to see him go. What is true is McDonald don't have much talent past Rasile next year. Enough to beat Sebring, but probably not enough to win District Championships. He wouldn't be the 1st kid to transfer to a parochial school to play better talent. Maybe the Devil's will get a few players to bring their talents to McDonald.
The small publics cry about private schools recruiting and this is the post? One of Bristol's best players this year was at Maplewood last year and they have the arrogance to wear "Home Grown Boys" tshirts to districts last year like they never recruit.

Rasile - Who can blame him for transferring but why JFK? Great academic school? Rasile top end, maybe a D2 college player but probably NAIA or D3. No shame in that. IF he was 6'4", then he is a D2 lock. Just the reality.

But why doesn't his dad help him some? Teams like CCA have played in 5 showcase events this year. Dunk for Diabetes is loaded with college coaches.

Why doesn't McDonald play up with their schedule? D4 strength of schedules as of today:

Rating - School - SOS
1 St. Peter 1.6
2 Fort Loramie 3.1
5 CCA 11.5 (yes, you read that right)
8 McDonal -4.0
28 Bristol -8.6
50 JFK 3.2
Old 02-14-18, 04:52 PM
Varsity

TheBlueMan is on a distinguished road
I actually think McDonald has vastly overachieved throughout the years. It's a square mile village. For no developing room in the village they have been phenomenal in hoops and CC. There are two things that are certain in McDonald is that the basketball courts will be filled and kids running in the park.
Old 02-14-18, 05:16 PM
All Region

hhawks is on a distinguished road
We played Mansfield St.Peters back in early December at St Pete,my Hiland Hawks lost to them by eight, very very talented team have alot of quickness at the guard spot and the coaches son,I think they said he was player of the year last year in d-4, he's the real deal stands about 6'4" he not real flashy , but he can score and rebound with the best
Old 02-14-18, 05:23 PM
All Ohio

beaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHSBasketballFan View Post
The small publics cry about private schools recruiting and this is the post? One of Bristol's best players this year was at Maplewood last year and they have the arrogance to wear "Home Grown Boys" tshirts to districts last year like they never recruit.

Rasile - Who can blame him for transferring but why JFK? Great academic school? Rasile top end, maybe a D2 college player but probably NAIA or D3. No shame in that. IF he was 6'4", then he is a D2 lock. Just the reality.

But why doesn't his dad help him some? Teams like CCA have played in 5 showcase events this year. Dunk for Diabetes is loaded with college coaches.

Why doesn't McDonald play up with their schedule? D4 strength of schedules as of today:

Rating - School - SOS
1 St. Peter 1.6
2 Fort Loramie 3.1
5 CCA 11.5 (yes, you read that right)
8 McDonal -4.0
28 Bristol -8.6
50 JFK 3.2
Wow you got all this from my post.

I was just using a little sarcasm responding to the other guy who is a little sore from the whooping Sebring took from McDonald. Everythng you state here I agree with.

Rasile is a great shooter, but he is 5 Ft nothing and a hundred and nothing pounds. Doubt he is being recruited.

Do I think some parochial schools have an advantage. Yes, some do, but not cause I think they recruit. They got great coaches and great basketball programs. That gives them an advantage same as any public school that has a great coach and basketball program.

I wouldnt be suprised if St. Thomas knocks off McDonald in the sectional final. They are down this year, but that is another team that has a great coach if its still the same guy that led them to state final. Their schedule will have them more than prepared to face McDonald.
Old 02-14-18, 06:02 PM
Varsity

I could be wrong but

Quote:

I was just using a little sarcasm responding to the other guy who is a little sore from the whooping Sebring took from McDonald. Everythng you state here I agree with.

Rasile is a great shooter, but he is 5 Ft nothing and a hundred and nothing pounds. Doubt he is being recruited.

Do I think some parochial schools have an advantage. Yes, some do, but not cause I think they recruit. They got great coaches and great basketball programs. That gives them an advantage same as any public school that has a great coach and basketball program.

I wouldnt be suprised if St. Thomas knocks off McDonald in the sectional final. They are down this year, but that is another team that has a great coach if its still the same guy that led them to state final. Their schedule will have them more than prepared to face McDonald.
STA's coach (Hackenburg) in past years with great succes is with Glen Oaks.

I apologize if you think I was knocking Rasile. I am not. He could play on Solon and Mentor. Would be great for their system. All the things his dad does to inflate his stats are not helping him as a future collegiate player. That is just my opinion.
Old 02-14-18, 06:03 PM
All Region

BLUE DEVIL 81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookgymdaze View Post
Word on the street is Rasile might be playing the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" game next year with rumors flying that he is moving his boy to JFK to play with and against "better talent". More like the cupboard, while not bare at McDonald by far, is not a packed full of talent as in the past and some other league teams have some good younger talent waiting for their turn to compete.
I really find all of this pretty amusing. I remember last year after McDonald lost to Warren JFK in the Regional Semis that "the word on the street" was Zach Rasile was going to transfer to Kennedy Catholic in Sharon, Pa. And Poole was going to transfer to Warren JFK. Well, they stayed at McDonald so I don't put much stock in this "word on the street." As far as the competition McDonald plays, I feel they have strengthened their schedule this year. They played and beat Lake Center Christian at their place. I do know Lake Center destroyed St. Thomas Aquinas. They also played and beat D-2 Niles and Girard and still have to play D-2 Struthers and D-3 Champion who is the No. 2 seed in their upcoming tournament. McDonald's only loss is to D-3 South Range who has one loss to undefeated LaBrae in OT.
Old 02-14-18, 06:10 PM
All Region

Quote:

You have to remember, the kid is only a sophomore. He is going to grow and get bigger. He will play on an excellent AAU team this summer and also played for the U16 US team that won an international tourney in Germany last summer and set the tourney record for 3's. You can talk all you want about his Dad padding his stats but that is bull. The kid is double and sometimes tripled teamed and he still scores. And I know for a fact some D-1 schools are looking at him. Give the kid a break. Once again, he is only a sophomore.
Old 02-14-18, 07:46 PM
Varsity

Zach is a great young man and excellent shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE DEVIL 81 View Post
You have to remember, the kid is only a sophomore. He is going to grow and get bigger. He will play on an excellent AAU team this summer and also played for the U16 US team that won an international tourney in Germany last summer and set the tourney record for 3's. You can talk all you want about his Dad padding his stats but that is bull. The kid is double and sometimes tripled teamed and he still scores. And I know for a fact some D-1 schools are looking at him. Give the kid a break. Once again, he is only a sophomore.
Zach Rasile a D1 college player....
Blue Devil, have you seen many D1 guards?
At 5'10" or 5'8", whichever is true:
1 - It is very possible he is done growing, for his sake, I hope not.
2 - BUT, if he is, who could he possibly guard at the D1 level? Guards 5' 10" and under in height are freak athletes at the D1 level.
3 - Do you know how good you have to be when you are a shorter player? In the history of Mentor's program, how many D1 players have they had? I think less than 5. 6'8" guys at Garfield are another story. Alex Heath would DESTROY Zach in every aspect of the game except shooting when being defended by lesser talent. Alex will play D2. Put Zach up against CCC backcourt and he couldn't even bring the ball up the floor. Have Zach try to stay in front of D2 recruit Gene Higgins(VASJ), Shane Zalba (Mentor, no offer) and it would be ugly.

There is no desire to down play his collegiate ability. The reality is how extremely difficult it is to play D1 college basketball especially for a player without height and average athleticism. Zach might be as good as a Jacob Paul someday. Jacob Paul was an outstanding D4 player at STA on both sides of the ball. He is playing well at MVNU, an NAIA school. Again, there is no shame in that.

Give the kid a break? I think you should give him a break. Celebrate how well he is doing against average competition. Realize that he probably hasn't even played head to head this season against a D1 college guard. In my first post I said McDonald has two great players. I am talking about D4 high school great players. I also recogize Zach would fit nicely on a Mentor or Solon team.

As far as padding stats. Not worth talking about except that it is a small world. The A.D. at Mineral Ridge isn't going to easily forget what Coach Rasile does.
Old 02-14-18, 09:37 PM
All Region

Although McDonald may not play any teams on their schedule with a D-1 guard/player, I am sure Zach has seen and will see those types of players in AAU ball. I'm not saying he will play at Ohio St or West Virginia but I could see him getting interest from Leagues like the Patriot, A-10 or the Horizon. Heck, YSU is right in his backyard.
Playing ANY D-1 sport in college is extremely difficult. It is a job. EVERYONE is good. You have to be dedicated and want it. If you don't step up your game, you will not make it. It is especially not easy coming from a D-4 or small school. I have a son that is from a D-4 school that competes at the D-1 level in college. It is a huge adjustment. But I think Rasile has the work ethic and desire to play at that level. But playing at a good D-2 program is just as impressive. Look at Bob Krizancic's son, Cole. Very good player. Went to a good D-2 program at Ashland. Or the kid from Berlin Hiland ( Bonifat?) who went to West Liberty St. I think they both could have played at a smaller D-1 schools.
Old 02-15-18, 07:52 AM
All District

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
I voted for each team once because that is how wide open I think this region is.
Old 02-15-18, 08:26 AM
Moderated User

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
I voted for each team once because that is how wide open I think this region is.
bro come on Im trying to write my article about my predictions for this tiny division and need the help of my fellow yapsters. You will get negative feedback on your profile for this. If you dont take D1 girls JV ball seriously then stay out of this thread!
Old 02-15-18, 08:35 AM
All District

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
hey bro, you asked and I shared my opinion. I really enjoy d4 ball and I am rooting for chalker this year but i have traveled the area studying these teams and I feel there is a lot of parody.
Old 02-15-18, 08:55 AM
All District

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
This tiny division

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
bro come on Im trying to write my article about my predictions for this tiny division and need the help of my fellow yapsters. You will get negative feedback on your profile for this. If you dont take D1 girls JV ball seriously then stay out of this thread!
Has had the last two state champions.
CCA 2016
LE 2017
Old 02-15-18, 12:50 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
CCC fan, tell me more about your team. I know alot of people think of Bothwell when they hear CCC but I know he isn't the whole team. How good is the supporting cast?
Old 02-15-18, 06:45 PM
Varsity

Not CCA Fan but I might answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post
CCC fan, tell me more about your team. I know alot of people think of Bothwell when they hear CCC but I know he isn't the whole team. How good is the supporting cast?
I saw the coach posted this on twitter: http://www.hudl.com/v/29EQgj

www.cornerstonebasketball.com
Check out their schedule and scores. See the above post on Strength of Schedule. Half the teams they have played in the regular season will be as good as or better than ANYONE they face in the tournament.
Cleveland Hts
CCC
St. Eds
St. Ignatius
Solon
Garfield Hts.
LE
Brush
Gilmour
Mentor
Spire (not sure)
VASJ

Size: 6'6", 6'5",6'4", Bothwell 6'3"
Strong guard play.
Senior leadership
Shooters, Slashers

Biggest difference I see from last year is their defense. Look at Mentor score a year ago (in the 90s), this year (in the 60s)

Since January they have been very good but they have also had some average performances
Second half of Brush game
AOA only beat by 10
STA only beat by 13
I heard they were beating Cardinal Stritch by 10 at half (30-20) and then losing by 11
Eds and Solon destroyed them
Old 02-15-18, 06:49 PM
All World

What I glean from CCA's scores is if they're playing top of their game no one on this region and possibly D4 will touch them. But if they aren't, then they could be upset. Still they are heavy favorites for Columbus
Old 02-15-18, 08:56 PM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
Cornerstone certainly has the talent to win DIV. They are prone at times to bad decision making though, particularly their guards (with the exception of Bothwell). When they go off the rails it is usually due to shot selection or ill-advised passes. They sometimes seem hesitant to reverse the ball and make the defense work. There are times Bothwell just needs to go get a handoff because he calms them down. They should have looked to him more in the Brush game as a prime example. I feel like their guards forget which side their bread is buttered. They sometimes take bad shots, when looking to Bothwell or their posts would be a much better option. They should have substantial size advantage in the tournament so dumping it into the post will be a good decision.
When they are playing good, pressure, team defense they will be a handful for anyone and overwhelming for teams in DIV. If they can minimize the bad decisions and turnovers, it will take a very good team to beat them.
Old 02-17-18, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
From what I've heard, St. Pete is awesome. Cornerstone is well-prepared with their schedule. The Norton bracket doesn't seem as strong.
Old 02-18-18, 03:19 PM
All World

Lake Center is a dark horse in the Norton bracket imo. Beat a pretty good valley Christian team, took Mogadore to OT and played McDonald very tough.
Old 02-18-18, 03:36 PM
Varsity

Seen this entire region play

Don't forget about Rittman.

It wouldn't shock me if McDonald doesn't make it out of the district but I was not over impressed with St. Pete this week.

If Cornerstone plays at a B or A level they beat everyone.

If they play average they can be beat by Richmond or JFK, or any of the regional teams (McDonald, St. Pete, Rittman). Forget about Bristol.
Cornerstone plays VASJ tomorrow. Tell me another team in the region who will play that level of game this week?

Rittman is a strong team and the 6'10" kids is well, tall! He gets all rebounds and put backs.

Did I see posted that Poole for McDonald is 6'4" and 225lbs? Not in the film I saw. Looked 6'3" 180lbs. Maybe I have him mistaken (#30).

Best sectional semi in the region - JFK#5 at Richmond#4. (Both are better than Bristol#2 and Windham#3).
Old 02-18-18, 03:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHSBasketballFan View Post
Don't forget about Rittman.

It wouldn't shock me if McDonald doesn't make it out of the district but I was not over impressed with St. Pete this week.

If Cornerstone plays at a B or A level they beat everyone.

If they play average they can be beat by Richmond or JFK, or any of the regional teams (McDonald, St. Pete, Rittman). Forget about Bristol.
Cornerstone plays VASJ tomorrow. Tell me another team in the region who will play that level of game this week?

Rittman is a strong team and the 6'10" kids is well, tall! He gets all rebounds and put backs.

Did I see posted that Poole for McDonald is 6'4" and 225lbs? Not in the film I saw. Looked 6'3" 180lbs. Maybe I have him mistaken (#30).

Best sectional semi in the region - JFK#5 at Richmond#4. (Both are better than Bristol#2 and Windham#3).
Oh not forgetting, Rittman is the favorite. Just that LCC could be a darkhorse winner.

McDonald, yes the favorite, but not a huge overwhelming favorite like last year. They'll need to bring it every night to win the district. Even the sectional final won't be a walk in the park (play STA/Wellsville winner).

Agree about Bristol and and Windham, any resistance Cornerstone will face at district will come in the semi's

As far as Poole he's definitely not 225, he's pretty skinny. But he's 6'4-6'5. He was only a whisker shorter than the big from JFK last year who was listed at 6'6". McDonald's biggest problem as compared to last year is he's the only height they have, lost a 6'4 and a 6'3 and they were replaced with a 6'2 and 6'0. If poole's not on the floor they get killed on the boards.
Old 02-18-18, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Oh not forgetting, Rittman is the favorite. Just that LCC could be a darkhorse winner.

McDonald, yes the favorite, but not a huge overwhelming favorite like last year. They'll need to bring it every night to win the district. Even the sectional final won't be a walk in the park (play STA/Wellsville winner).

Agree about Bristol and and Windham, any resistance Cornerstone will face at district will come in the semi's

As far as Poole he's definitely not 225, he's pretty skinny. But he's 6'4-6'5. He was only a whisker shorter than the big from JFK last year who was listed at 6'6". McDonald's biggest problem as compared to last year is he's the only height they have, lost a 6'4 and a 6'3 and they were replaced with a 6'2 and 6'0. If poole's not on the floor they get killed on the boards.
In the past, Rittman has been a physical team. LC slipped my mind. They could come out of Norton.

Mcd won't have any trouble with Wellsville or STA. STA is not the STA of past. Mcd's next test will more than likely be Springfield.
Old 02-19-18, 02:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
In the past, Rittman has been a physical team. LC slipped my mind. They could come out of Norton.

Mcd won't have any trouble with Wellsville or STA. STA is not the STA of past. Mcd's next test will more than likely be Springfield.
Yep, Rittman beat McDonald in coach Rasiles first trip to regionals back in 06 or 07 by 4 I think. Every few years they seem to have very quality teams. The Norton District has 4 or so teams I could legitimately see win it

While yeah STA isn't the same as they have been, they still play an incredibly tough schedule and played some really good teams (VASJ, CCA) competitively. I guess I'm just saying that whoever they play it won't just be a push over, that McDonald will need to come ready to play or they could be in for a dog fight. Kind of like East Canton 2 years ago, the Hornets only had a few wins, but played a tough schedule and pushed McDonald a bit in sectionals before the Devils pulled away at the end.

Last edited by kingpin2010; 02-19-18 at 03:11 PM.