Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-18, 09:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard4life View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The reward for being good is an extra home game, or at least the right to choose to play an extra game. Going to date myself a little here, but I remember in 1991-92-93 the Leopards were either a #1 or #2 seed every year. All the games were played at Field house, but Coach Harold didn't want a bye week, he wanted his team to stay fresh. I remember watching his teams play and he had them ready for those games. The top seeds should have that option to play or take the bye. What burns me more is the "fairness" comment. Apply for a job and tell me how "fair" that process is, the best of the best get the offers. Biggest problem we have a society is we have created a generation of kids who feel entitled to everything being fair.
Let's flip this a little, what if the district board just assigned you to a spot regardless of record. You might end up having the top two teams play in the first round. Most people would say "that's not fair."

"Byes" have ALWAYS been for the best teams in every sport. It was a reward for having a good season.

First round blowouts with high seeds benefit those winning teams but hurt the organization overall. It's not about fairness, it's trying to do what it is in the best interest of the whole organization. For the OHSAA, avoidable blowouts are bad. Competitive games are good.
Old 02-12-18, 09:16 AM
All District

hoopstar1988 is on a distinguished road
kind of the cake and eat it too opinion, but I believe your reward for your grest season is the top seed and playing the lower seeds to advance. That is the fairness I speak of with this scenario schools get a chance to win a tournament game. especially since we have a team in our district that dominates year after year and we don't get anyone else into a regional. thats another topic altogether.
Old 02-12-18, 09:17 AM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Let's flip this a little, what if the district board just assigned you to a spot regardless of record. You might end up having the top two teams play in the first round. Most people would say "that's not fair."

"Byes" have ALWAYS been for the best teams in every sport. It was a reward for having a good season.

First round blowouts with high seeds benefit those winning teams but hurt the organization overall. It's not about fairness, it's trying to do what it is in the best interest of the whole organization. For the OHSAA, avoidable blowouts are bad. Competitive games are good.

I get why they did it, I just don't like it. The coach used to have a choice if they wanted a BYE or not, now they don't. They have basically mandated that the top seeds now take byes and that's fine i guess. As far as the OHSAA i don't think they give two craps about fairness or competitiveness, because if they did they would put an end to the recruiting of JR high kids by private schools. There are so many things wrong with the OHSAA, but that is all for another thread.
Old 02-12-18, 10:17 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I get why they did it, I just don't like it. The coach used to have a choice if they wanted a BYE or not, now they don't. They have basically mandated that the top seeds now take byes and that's fine i guess. As far as the OHSAA i don't think they give two craps about fairness or competitiveness, because if they did they would put an end to the recruiting of JR high kids by private schools. There are so many things wrong with the OHSAA, but that is all for another thread.
Wait...I thought in a previous post you were burning over a previous poster's use of the word fairness, declaring the use derrogatory and self promoting our society is teaching these entitled kids everything should be fair. Why now the change of view? Crying about OHSAA not being fair because a private in our district recruits 8th graders and plausible to destroy everyone in the district? The irony? If your son is on the team, work harder, develop skills, put more time in the gym. In fact, the value taught working hard to overcome obstacles and hardship, facing the impossible, is a greater life lesson, than, telling him how great you think your son or his team is based upon beating mediocre competition. If the team collectively can beat better competition, then you have not only attained a goal, but proved you are actually good. Quit talking out of your mouth in one breath then out of your rear from another. If our coach wants to declare "The Program" then the coach and team should work hard to be in a position to beat a program like SVSM or a Jackson. Life is not fair.
Old 02-12-18, 01:27 PM
Varsity

Show me where in my post I said anything about my opinion of fairness?! I pointed out the hypocritical nature of the OhSAA. Yappi said the rule change was in ragrds to fairness by OHSAA to which I pointed out a reason they don't care about fairness. Don't put words into my mouth. Far as team getting better I agree 100%, and when my son reaches HS I will except he puts the work in or he just doesn't play at all and gets a job.
Old 02-12-18, 01:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. The reward for being good is an extra home game, or at least the right to choose to play an extra game. Going to date myself a little here, but I remember in 1991-92-93 the Leopards were either a #1 or #2 seed every year. All the games were played at Field house, but Coach Harold didn't want a bye week, he wanted his team to stay fresh. I remember watching his teams play and he had them ready for those games. The top seeds should have that option to play or take the bye. What burns me more is the "fairness" comment. Apply for a job and tell me how "fair" that process is, the best of the best get the offers. Biggest problem we have a society is we have created a generation of kids who feel entitled to everything being fair.
Remember this post you responded to Hoopstar?
Old 02-12-18, 01:35 PM
Varsity

Yes and again your point is what? I basically said life isn't fair? Not sure what you are trying get at?
Old 02-12-18, 01:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yes and again your point is what? I basically said life isn't fair? Not sure what you are trying get at?
In one post you are criticizing Hoopstar for using the term fairness to describe his support for the current system used, you ended the response by suggesting society has created a generation of kids feeling entitled to everything being fair. I thought how ironic, totallly understood your point, however taking a step forward, in terms of your comments about OHSAA, thought you are contradicting yourself. Hey I agree with you on some of your points, but in my opinion if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. So to me, the seeding aspect of the tournament is irrelevant, or how teams are formed. The best teams and most deserving will make it to Columbus by the process of elimination, regardless of OHSAA's fairness, cares, concerns, or if their format is unfair.

Last edited by COACH_XYZ&12345; 02-12-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 02:57 PM
Varsity

I see what you are saying, but my comment was not me complaining, it was me saying that if one thinks the OHSAA cares about fairness (either good or bad) they don't. That's all I was saying. And I for one think think the OHSAA are a bunch of useless people worried about stuff that makes no difference in who wins of loses a game. They need to worry more about the kids and less about the adults.
Old 02-12-18, 07:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but my comment was not me complaining, it was me saying that if one thinks the OHSAA cares about fairness (either good or bad) they don't. That's all I was saying. And I for one think think the OHSAA are a bunch of useless people worried about stuff that makes no difference in who wins of loses a game. They need to worry more about the kids and less about the adults.
Understood.
Old 02-12-18, 11:56 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Surprisingly, the seeds are fairly accurate. Good job to the coaches.
Old 02-13-18, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

diamondmatch is on a distinguished road
The University of LeBron will get out coached.
Old 02-13-18, 10:23 AM
Junior Varsity

jvirish is on a distinguished road
STVM coach will get out coached by who?
Old 02-13-18, 12:12 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
The good news is the St V coach wont have to worry about being outcoached in the Canton district as their talent should carry them through. Anything can happen in a close game though.

That being said.....there is no question that St V has been out coached in multiple big games over the years. 2013 state championship against Bishop Watterson comes to mind and the 2015 regional final against Cleveland Central Catholic just to name a few.
Old 02-13-18, 03:44 PM
Go Buckeyes

I think this district is more competitive this year than the last couple.

StV is still the favorite but they will face more of a challenge this year. There is also alot of depth where the middle seeds can still knock off some of the top seeds. Will be interesting to watch how this district unfolds.
Old 02-13-18, 04:19 PM
Go Buckeyes

Bracket:
http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20646&not=12

My Predictions:

Round 1:
Marlington over Canton South [close game]
Northwest over Springfield
Coventry over Alliance [close game]
Norton over Field [close game]

Round 2:
StV over Marlington
Tallmadge over Northwest [close game]
Buchtel over Coventry [close game]
Louisville over Norton [close game]

Round 3:
StV over Tallmadge [closer than some would think]
Buchtel over Louisville [close game]

Championship:
StV over Buchtel [close game]
Old 02-13-18, 08:54 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
St V beats Walsh tonight 62-38
Old 02-13-18, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Yappi, with all do respect, and I don't mean to knock Tallmadges program, but I don't think Tallmadge will keep it close against SVSM, at least not past the 1st quarter. Basically I'm saying, don't get your hopes up like I did a couple years ago. SVSM may seem to be in a bit of a slump at times during the regular season, but regular season SVSM and playoffs SVSM are two totally different animals. SVSM in a landslide.
Old 02-13-18, 10:23 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
A good number of folks don't think Buchtel will make it to the title game.
Old 02-13-18, 11:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Yappi, with all do respect, and I don't mean to knock Tallmadges program, but I don't think Tallmadge will keep it close against SVSM, at least not past the 1st quarter. Basically I'm saying, don't get your hopes up like I did a couple years ago. SVSM may seem to be in a bit of a slump at times during the regular season, but regular season SVSM and playoffs SVSM are two totally different animals. SVSM in a landslide.
Sadly, I'm starting to agree with you. Just found out that Tallmadge scheduled a patsy (Kenmore-Garfield) just to get a confidence boosting win. Instead of getting ready for the playoffs like StV, they decided to play a meaningless game that will do nothing to help them when it's time to take on the big boys. Just need to focus on beating Northwest or Springfield. Both teams could give the Devils a difficult time.
Old 02-14-18, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sadly, I'm starting to agree with you. Just found out that Tallmadge scheduled a patsy (Kenmore-Garfield) just to get a confidence boosting win. Instead of getting ready for the playoffs like StV, they decided to play a meaningless game that will do nothing to help them when it's time to take on the big boys. Just need to focus on beating Northwest or Springfield. Both teams could give the Devils a difficult time.
Yes I was very surprised at this. It could have possibly been the only team that had an open game and could play on Tuesday though. But that being said, almost would rather practice than play a team like that. But we will have our work cut out before the tournament as we play Highland, Buchtel and Revere to close out the regular season.
I know nothing about Northwest, but I can assure you that Springfield would not give us a difficult time.
Old 02-14-18, 09:30 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Yes I was very surprised at this. It could have possibly been the only team that had an open game and could play on Tuesday though. But that being said, almost would rather practice than play a team like that. But we will have our work cut out before the tournament as we play Highland, Buchtel and Revere to close out the regular season.
I know nothing about Northwest, but I can assure you that Springfield would not give us a difficult time.
Agreed. Those are some very solid teams that will help get Tallmadge ready for the playoffs. Kenmore-Garfield may have been a clunker on the schedule, but its not very different than the top seed electing to forego the bye to play the bottom seed in the playoffs.
Old 02-14-18, 10:44 AM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Marlington and Alliance beat Northwest. Northwest has a shooting guard averaging 20 something and if you slow him down you have a pretty good chance of winning

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-18, 10:48 AM
All Ohio

Is Kenmore Garfield really that bad this year? I remember Kenmore having a decent team last year.
Old 02-14-18, 11:01 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Is Kenmore Garfield really that bad this year? I remember Kenmore having a decent team last year.
Well Coventry routinely steals their kids...
Old 02-14-18, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Well Coventry routinely steals their kids...
And SVSM routinely steals Buchtel's kids. And they still compete don't they?
Old 02-14-18, 12:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
They have three wins over East, North, and Smithville.
Old 02-14-18, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

msd1300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They have three wins over East, North, and Smithville.
They have six wins. They also beat Ellet, CVCA and Fuchs Mizrachi.
Old 02-14-18, 12:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd1300 View Post
They have six wins. They also beat Ellet, CVCA and Fuchs Mizrachi.
Thanks. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get results/schedules for some teams/districts. I was able to find the Ellet and CVCA scores but can't find the Fuchs Mizrachi score. The only thing I can find is that it was scheduled for December 27th.
Old 02-14-18, 12:57 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
How do you steal kids? Do you sneak in the school and kidnap them? Whose kids are they? Does the school own these kids? I thought privates were the only ones who could come in and steal a kid? How does a public school steal a kid? Offer them free lunch?