Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-18, 06:28 PM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Coaches, what have you learned this year? What worked & what didnít?

As season is winding down just curious what coaches have learned this year? What did you do different that worked and didnít work? What did you try this year that you havenít in the past? What lessons did you learn?

Just curious for any input here.

I skipped drilling some basics because my guys were more experienced and it bit me. Also learned my lesson on setting the tone for the season early. It works much better that way.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-18, 06:57 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
We went from one day in the weight room last year to 2 days this year. My football guys stuck with it and liked it better with more lifting.
Old 02-07-18, 07:27 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Following. This could be a great thread with input
Old 02-07-18, 08:55 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
We went from one day in the weight room last year to 2 days this year. My football guys stuck with it and liked it better with more lifting.
Thatís something else I did as well. It definitely helped recruiting.
Old 02-08-18, 07:42 AM
All District

iGranby is on a distinguished road
If we saw something we were struggling with as a whole - we would add a daily drill for it in our opening "warm up" time during practice. Most positive change we've seen across the board with this is "Lift and return".
Old 02-08-18, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
Our PE teacher offers a weightlifting class, he's also our MS coach. So that's one less thing we have to worry about from the wrestling front. Only thing that sucks is the class isn't offered to freshmen so we do have to find the time for those guys to get in the weight room.
Old 02-08-18, 11:34 AM
Junior Varsity

Coach03 is on a distinguished road
This is our 1st year of full in season morning lifts using Coach Myers workouts (16 week in-season).. We used the 23-week off season last spring with great results!

The workouts are awesome and have made a huge difference for us. Doing morning lifts in-season was very beneficial as well.. requires some buy-in from the kids, but we typically have 20-25 kids at 5:45am

We Don't run a whole lot. wrestle/drill live and do some sprint work to get in match shape.
Old 02-08-18, 12:05 PM
All District

2sportcoach is on a distinguished road
Coach03,

Just curious, what all does the 16 week in-season have? I'd like to hear it from an actual coach that has used it. I was thinking about purchasing it but the weight room we have is a little run down and doesn't have the proper things that some of the workouts ask for.
Old 02-08-18, 12:19 PM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
I've learned that it's really tough to take regular, multiple sport kids and compete with 19 year old year rounders
Old 02-08-18, 12:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Coach03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sportcoach View Post
Coach03,

Just curious, what all does the 16 week in-season have? I'd like to hear it from an actual coach that has used it. I was thinking about purchasing it but the weight room we have is a little run down and doesn't have the proper things that some of the workouts ask for.
The in-season workout does a pretty good job of breaking the season up into phases that help you peak with strength right around now, (sectional, district, state)

We don't have a crazy elaborate weight room, a lot of the core lifts are dumbell bench, regular bench, dead lift (caries grip), squats. Then supersets and circuit training. We substituted a number of auxiliary lifts for similar ones, the book has pictures etc. Some of the team competition lifts and lifts to improve wrestling specific issues was helpful too
Old 02-08-18, 01:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Spike155 is on a distinguished road
Great thread! Makes you remember why we do this. We're all here to promote the sport and make everyone better.
Old 02-08-18, 01:38 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike155 View Post
Great thread! Makes you remember why we do this. We're all here to promote the sport and make everyone better.
We can all learn from each other and make the sport the best it can be.

Are there any coaches who have large rosters but not a particularly strong team? I ask because large rosters usually come with teams that are very good, if there is a team that's not particularly strong but has great numbers, just curious what recruiting/retention tactics you're using.
Old 02-09-18, 12:36 AM
All District

coachsimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGranby View Post
If we saw something we were struggling with as a whole - we would add a daily drill for it in our opening "warm up" time during practice. Most positive change we've seen across the board with this is "Lift and return".
Excellent Thread - and excellent idea, iGranby. I'm a big believer that the warm-up routine is the most important part of practice.

If implemented effectively, a lot of core skills can reinforced in the warmup routine that help your athletes tremendously throughout the season.
Old 02-09-18, 07:23 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
the season is wayyyyy too long...but we knew that.
Old 02-09-18, 07:33 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
the season is wayyyyy too long...but we knew that.
I agree 100000%

Not if you ask the NE area of the state.

When I was young buck would not have agreed. Now that there is family and others to consider and watched my sons go through...season is too long. Kids don't get much of a break mentally or physically.
Old 02-09-18, 11:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
When I was young buck would not have agreed. Now that there is family and others to consider and watched my sons go through...season is too long. Kids don't get much of a break mentally or physically.
This, there was a point where I felt the season wasn't long enough and really tried to get into a bunch of opens with my wrestlers. Now that I have a family, (my son isn't old enough to wrestle) I don't mind the weekends off and the canceled practices because of weather. Now, don't get me wrong, I do still like what I do and I do like getting guys out in the off-season, but I'm not as die-hard as I used to be.

With so many guys, clubs, leagues, that go year round, a season being as long as it is isn't as necessary anymore.
Old 02-12-18, 10:02 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
This, there was a point where I felt the season wasn't long enough and really tried to get into a bunch of opens with my wrestlers. Now that I have a family, (my son isn't old enough to wrestle) I don't mind the weekends off and the canceled practices because of weather. Now, don't get me wrong, I do still like what I do and I do like getting guys out in the off-season, but I'm not as die-hard as I used to be.

With so many guys, clubs, leagues, that go year round, a season being as long as it is isn't as necessary anymore.
It's also good for the kids to get different coaching, hang out with different kids, and hear someone else try to motivate them.
Old 02-12-18, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
It's also good for the kids to get different coaching, hang out with different kids, and hear someone else try to motivate them.
No joke, my first year as a head coach, I took my guys over winter break to a neighboring HS because one of their alum, who was a D2 national champ, was doing a free clinic. He showed about 3 moves that I show, same set-ups and all, and my kids picked up on a few of those and were hitting them like crazy during live. I made the comment that they were doing good picking up on what he showed and one kid made the comment to me why I never show those moves? I had to remind them that I do show those moves, I called them something different, and you could see the lightbulb go off in their heads.

Sometimes having a move explained to them by someone different that's not in the day to day room with them can help. Same present different/nicer packaging, they think they're learning something new when in reality it's the same thing you show.

Also, partners are huge too, I loved spring/freestyle wrestling just because I got to work with someone different than I did during season, plus you get to see how other coaches run their programs.
Old 02-12-18, 01:29 PM
Freshman

WHCoach7 is on a distinguished road
AT THE YOUTH LEVEL:

I believe one of the keys to our program is the line drills we use at the beginning of each practice. We have our team leaders lead 3-4 lines learning stance, a drop step, a drop step w/a power angle, (Huge help for us getting kids to step up look across the back and finish, rather than cracking down) duck walk, etc. After the newbies get the hang of it, we transition this into our warm up jog.

The other thing we have found to be very successful is to shorten the duration of time in which you instruct. For instance we break a stand-up into three different sections. 1. Step Up, Hand Control, and Back Pressure 2. Rotate up and Back Pressure. 3. Cut Away.

But, what we have found to be the most successful tool is to emphasize the one or 2 most important things about a certain takedown, escape, turn, etc. When instructing, we stop during those critical moments and ask them to just yell out the answer. We feel it makes the import things stick. Like elbow deep on a half or hand control and Back Pressure when hitting a stand up.
Old 02-13-18, 11:21 AM
Freshman

2x_placer is on a distinguished road
Started throwing in agility ladders as a warm up with jogging and drilling. As well as lifting 2 days a week really helped improve a different outlook for the kids. In down weekends when we were short of tournaments or duals we also threw in more games and fun besides just live wrestling.
Old 02-14-18, 12:22 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x_placer View Post
Started throwing in agility ladders as a warm up with jogging and drilling. As well as lifting 2 days a week really helped improve a different outlook for the kids. In down weekends when we were short of tournaments or duals we also threw in more games and fun besides just live wrestling.
What are agility ladders?
Old 02-14-18, 02:00 PM
Junior Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
What are agility ladders?
Old 02-15-18, 09:00 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
Ahh I see. Those help with footwork I am sure.