Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.44 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-18, 05:42 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Grass fed

Didn't know you were in the cattle game.

I will be sure to tell my boss he needs to switch to be grass fed only
Yeah if you want garbage beef feed them grass. Arrogate, I was talking to a farmer neighbor of mine about buying calf and raising it, then of course taking it to the butcher. He raises Angus, he told me I wouldn't really see too much difference if I bought a dairy cow calf and did the same. He said they are cheaper to buy. Thoughts?
Old 02-05-18, 06:04 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Well the funny thing about Angus is that as long as a cow has atleast 51% of it's coloring as black, then it can be considered Angus beef. You can see how when burger king or some fast food place says they have Angus they probably dont have the Aberdeen Angus you are associate with Angus beef. It may have some in it's blood but it just shows it can be manipulated to a degree.

For most breeds it comes down to how you feed them. Obviously there are differences in the quality of the meat but it's not like it is bad if you raise it correctly.
Old 02-05-18, 06:05 PM
All World

Best thing I ever bought was a huge freezer to store meat
Old 02-05-18, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I have a bevador cooler for beer in the basement. Not sure if it’s the best thing I’ve ever bought, but it’s close.
Old 02-05-18, 07:09 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I have a bevador cooler for beer in the basement. Not sure if itís the best thing Iíve ever bought, but itís close.

Those are sweet
Old 02-05-18, 08:57 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The cattle industry is pretty wild, I admittedly know very little about it but the way they buy and hedge cattle on the market it is a really intricate business. I have a lot of respect for my boss because he built his company from the ground up as has stayed in business for so long especially when the markets were so volatile. That old man knows his sh1t.

What's cool about his deal is that he has all these ag businesses and he keeps paying himself throughout almost every stage of that cow's life, from the feed, grain corn, etc to sale barns, feed yards and just has it really going on.

Never really knew how much money was involved in that industry. And you need a lot to be involved in it and similar to any investing be ready to take losses
A guy I use to work with was a controller for a farmers co-op. Much like you say I couldn't believe it about the amount of money he said would flow through that place. It was definitely not little house in the prairie style where you buy a young cow, raise it, then march it on down to the slaughter house.

On a somewhat related note I found a couple years ago how a butcher can mess up a cow. I went half with a friend on a whole cow and we ended up with some horrible cuts of meat. We ended up getting everything replaced but I have never ate such bad steaks in my life.
Old 02-05-18, 09:31 PM
Freshman

ZBomb98 is on a distinguished road
Working in financial services during back to back huge down days is fun.

Everyone is high fiving when their accounts are up 20-40% in one year. As soon as they lose 6% in two days, you'd think they should be calling the suicide hotline.
Old 02-06-18, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What's cool about his deal is that he has all these ag businesses and he keeps paying himself throughout almost every stage of that cow's life, from the feed, grain corn, etc to sale barns, feed yards and just has it really going on.
vertical integration nice
Old 02-06-18, 09:49 AM
All World

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Gentlemen about 6-10 years out from retirement sold to fixed positions in May. Decided today to get back into a 100% stock allocation. Thinks he timed it great, doesn't realize he missed on an ~20% rise in the market from May-late Jan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: