Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-18, 10:23 PM
All District

bmcphers7 is on a distinguished road
One of Portage County's Best, Transfers to Hoban

Wonder what prompted this right in the middle of the season? What's everyone's thoughts? I find it very interesting

http://www.record-courier.com/sports...-hoban?start=2
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-18, 01:14 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
One of Portage County's Best, Transfers to Hoban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-18, 11:59 AM
Freshman

Mitchoops is on a distinguished road
Well let’s just say this had A LOT less to do with Hoban and A LOT more to do with the situation she just left. Her & her family made the right choice, for herself and her sister.
Old 01-24-18, 08:46 AM
All District

GREENDAY is on a distinguished road
I know Hannah and Grace and their family very well - full disclosure: I would say we are good friends.

Hannah is literally THE BEST teammate the I have been around. She has a great personality - is a very unselfish player - makes others around her better. She is an energy-giver at all times, not an energy-taker. Ultimately, I don't think that Hannah was happy - so a decision was made that will make her eligible to begin the season next year - with the move being made now. If she would have waited - she would have to sit half of the season next year. It was no doubt an extremely tough decision - but if you know you are going to be leaving Southeast - you may as well do it now if it means you can play the entirety of your junior and senior seasons at Hoban - as opposed to being miserable at Southeast, sticking it out and then having to sit half of your junior year.

This is also a situation where the Schills put in A LOT of time at Southeast - not just in the upper levels, but also the youth level. Life is too short to be unhappy - especially when you put in that amount of time. Hannah and Grace are not the first basketball players to transfer and they will not be the last - it is today's culture.

I hope that Coach Gamertsfelder and the Pirates program can stay the course - if a kid is not happy - it's best for everyone that they move on. I also hope that the Schills find peace and happiness in their decision to go play for Coach Callaghan at Hoban!
Old 01-24-18, 11:30 AM
Freshman

GreenDay, right you are. However at the end of the day, the current situation at SE isn’t a great 1. Where the programs been and where it is all of a sudden is a shame. And as for the transferring it’s too bad it came to this, but they’re at a disadvantage with the current staff. She and her family did the right thing, however it’s obvious why it came to this, Hannah and her family were very happy last season, so it’s obvious what has changed.
Old 01-24-18, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

crudog is on a distinguished road
What are the date deadlines regarding transferring and being able to play the next season? Could she have waited until the end of the season in three weeks and still be able to play all of her junior season next year. I believe physical or verbal abuse is the only reason a player should leave her team after the season has begun.Otherwise you stay with your team.
Old 01-24-18, 05:17 PM
Varsity

Sean5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudog View Post
What are the date deadlines regarding transferring and being able to play the next season? Could she have waited until the end of the season in three weeks and still be able to play all of her junior season next year. I believe physical or verbal abuse is the only reason a player should leave her team after the season has begun.Otherwise you stay with your team.
Quiting during the middle of the season? Good luck with Callahan.
Old 01-24-18, 05:36 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudog View Post
She is ineligible to play the remainder of this season and has to sit out 11 regular season games between the remainder of games this season and then into next season. Would also be ineligible to play in any preseason games next year.
Old 01-24-18, 08:41 PM
Freshman

That’s why she transferred when she did. She’ll miss the 11 games this season and be ready and clear to play start of next season.
Old 01-25-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
That's not how the rules work guys... not to my knowledge at least... once you are on the roster and play for a team in a season, you're "there" for the year... I believe they'll have to sit the first 11 next year regardless.
Old 01-25-18, 01:24 PM
Freshman

100% NOT true. She will sit the 11 games this season at Hoban, and will be free to play all of next season. The family definitely did their due diligence on this subject.
Old 01-25-18, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Then the rule changes in the last few weeks because that’s never been the case Obv the 8th graded would be eligible right away
Old 01-25-18, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
I stand corrected... you can count those games toward the 11 but only with a special request to the compliance department at OHSAA. Sounds like a ‘special case’ thing
Old 01-26-18, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Scott doesn't drive her away like he has some others. He's definitely an acquired taste for players.
Old 01-26-18, 03:32 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
I stand corrected... you can count those games toward the 11 but only with a special request to the compliance department at OHSAA. Sounds like a ‘special case’ thing
It's a standard, not a special case thing.

From OHSAA Bylaw 4-7-3 with notes added in bold. Nothing not already known in this statement:

"If a transfer takes place during the sport season in which the student has participated in a regular season interscholastic contest in a sport (basketball 2017-18), the student is ineligible in that sport for the remainder of that sport’s season in the school into which the student has transferred (2017-18, 11? games left on Hoban's schedule at transfer time) ."

Additional info from "Other Inter-District Transfer Guidance" at http://www.ohsaa.org/Eligibility/Transfer.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligi...ringSeason.pdf

"Note #2 – If a student transfers during the season of a sport in which he or she has participated (basketball 2017-18), and Bylaw 4-7-3 requires that the student is ineligible for participation in the remainder of the contests in that sports season (11? remaining Hoban regular season games she will miss in 2017-18), at the commencement of that sport during the next school year (2018-19), the student remains ineligible for the pre-season contests (scrimmages, preview/jamboree, Foundation game) and up to 50% of the regular season (max of 11 in 2018-19) contests in that sport. (But) The total number of regular season contests for which the student will be ineligible (2018-19, 0?) is a function of the number of regular season contests (2017-18, 11?) in which he or she was ineligible in accordance with 4-7-3."

Last edited by TriangleMan; 01-28-18 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 11:52 PM
Freshman

She made the right choice, after this week, it’s obvious there’s a problem at SE. The streak of conference championships is over and they’ll be 1 & done in the tourney. They may not even finish with a .500 record. Which after the last few seasons is ashame. They’ll lose more this year than in the past 3 combined.
Old 01-28-18, 07:45 PM
All District

bmcphers7 is on a distinguished road
I have no problem with her transferring, but found it really interesting right in the middle of the season basically. Yea SE will be 1-2 done, Austintown District is tough: Ursuline, Howland, West Branch, Poland, Lakeview, Struthers all could win that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchoops View Post
She made the right choice, after this week, it’s obvious there’s a problem at SE. The streak of conference championships is over and they’ll be 1 & done in the tourney. They may not even finish with a .500 record. Which after the last few seasons is ashame. They’ll lose more this year than in the past 3 combined.
Old 01-28-18, 10:34 PM
Freshman

Her transferring in the middle of the season gives her a whole season next yr. I agree the timing stinks but if this wasn’t a great situation why not give yourself a full season next yr.
Old 01-29-18, 04:30 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchoops View Post
Maybe the problem is players who have no problem quiting during the middle of the season.
Old 01-30-18, 10:21 AM
Varsity

SummitCo is on a distinguished road
Hoban already had one of their starters quit before this season started. Coach welcomed her right back. Dedication should not be an issue.