Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-06-18, 03:21 PM
Varsity

2021 is on a distinguished road
2018 Padua football

I’m surprised nobody is talking about Padua.

Regional finalists from last year are improved with a few transfers joining a few D1 commits.

Are they a dark horse in division 3?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-18, 05:09 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
I believe they lost in the regional semis last year, but either way, they could be a dark horse. I'm wait and see on them, they need to play much better defense, as they were gashed most of last season. The offense was explosive vs the soft parts of their schedule, but struggled vs the better teams they played. They definitely have been trending upward, though.
Old 08-06-18, 08:02 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Benedictine / Chris Lorbers mishandling of replacing Coach Schaffer has really benfitted Padua. Lorber had a chance to lock up polo right away once Schaffer bounced. Could have kept the program and system business as usual with little to minimum changes. But Chris took the good ol’ boy route to the hiring process and allowed Polo to apply for Padua and walk away in favor of hiring his child hood buddy Carter Welo.

Coach Polo took a team that was previously 2-8 and 1-9 the two previous years and a team that was bottom of the NCL and getting beat up by the NCL to a 5-5 first season and a 9-3 second season with a home playoff birth in year two.

Padua couldn’t be happier with what Coach Polo has done for the program. The cultural change and the winning mindset has been embraced by the students and parents at Padua.

The team currently has three players with d1 offers. There are many big expectations for this team. Time will tell if they can live up to the expectations and continue to go further and further into the season under Polos leadership.
Old 08-06-18, 08:34 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I believe they lost in the regional semis last year, but either way, they could be a dark horse. I'm wait and see on them, they need to play much better defense, as they were gashed most of last season. The offense was explosive vs the soft parts of their schedule, but struggled vs the better teams they played. They definitely have been trending upward, though.

I’m new to the Padua fold this season. But what you’re saying makes sense. They’re using their big Cincinnati bound lineman at nose and have added two transfer linebackers. Both look about 6’0 / 220 - 230
They look like a team addressing a porous run defense last season.
Incoming freshman has been taking a ton of #1 snaps. He looks about, 6’1, decent arm and can fly. Coaches are really on top of him and that generally means they’re considering him at the #1 spot.
We’ll see. I was shocked at the size and number of athletes on the field for a D3 team.
Old 08-06-18, 10:35 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
They're also playing the same non-conference opponents as 2017, and could very easily be
7-0 headed into a home game vs Hoban. And just like last year, we may not really know how good they are heading into that game.
Old 08-06-18, 11:46 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
They're also playing the same non-conference opponents as 2017, and could very easily be
7-0 headed into a home game vs Hoban. And just like last year, we may not really know how good they are heading into that game.
I think the Hoban game sits perfectly in Padua’s schedule.

Not sure what NDCL brings back but at a glance that looks to be the biggest threat to derailing a 7-0 record heading in to week eight.

All Padua has to do is play Hoban well. If that game is respectable then I’m going to like their chances (same goes for SVSM) going forwards.
Old 08-07-18, 12:54 AM
All District

The main goal and focus should be continued growth of the program. The Hoban game isn’t the end all be all for the Bruins but it’s up there.
Continued NCL success should be a priority. Before Polo came in I believe Padua was 0-10 in NCL match ups the previous two season. After two seasons Polo is 5-5 in NCL matchups. There is a lot of room for improvement there.
0-2 (NDCL) 0-2 Hoban 1-1 (Lake) 2-0 (Bene) 2-0 (Walsh)
Getting that first NDCL win. Going + against Lake and staying undefeated against Bene and Walsh in the big picture of things is bigger than just the week8 matchup against a nationally ranked hoban.
After October the growth has to continue to happen with another home playoff birth and learning how to get past week 12.
But all of that is looking ahead. Opening with Woodridge and playing athletic teams like Garfield, Warrensville and Warren Howland will help answer some (not all) questions early about how the bruins respond to the run and respond to athletic teams.
Old 08-07-18, 02:30 AM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Good players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
The main goal and focus should be continued growth of the program. The Hoban game isn’t the end all be all for the Bruins but it’s up there.
Continued NCL success should be a priority. Before Polo came in I believe Padua was 0-10 in NCL match ups the previous two season. After two seasons Polo is 5-5 in NCL matchups. There is a lot of room for improvement there.
0-2 (NDCL) 0-2 Hoban 1-1 (Lake) 2-0 (Bene) 2-0 (Walsh)
Getting that first NDCL win. Going + against Lake and staying undefeated against Bene and Walsh in the big picture of things is bigger than just the week8 matchup against a nationally ranked hoban.
After October the growth has to continue to happen with another home playoff birth and learning how to get past week 12.
But all of that is looking ahead. Opening with Woodridge and playing athletic teams like Garfield, Warrensville and Warren Howland will help answer some (not all) questions early about how the bruins respond to the run and respond to athletic teams.
Padua has almost always had very good players. Dinard is a great back who comes to mind. For many years, those players were miscast and misplayed. With a good coach like they have now, there isn't reason why they can't be a consistent top-of-the-line team. GL on the coming season.
Old 08-07-18, 07:49 AM
All American

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021 View Post
I’m new to the Padua fold this season. But what you’re saying makes sense. They’re using their big Cincinnati bound lineman at nose and have added two transfer linebackers. Both look about 6’0 / 220 - 230
They look like a team addressing a porous run defense last season.
Incoming freshman has been taking a ton of #1 snaps. He looks about, 6’1, decent arm and can fly. Coaches are really on top of him and that generally means they’re considering him at the #1 spot.
We’ll see. I was shocked at the size and number of athletes on the field for a D3 team.
Where did the QB transfer come from?
Old 08-07-18, 09:25 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
Where did the QB transfer come from?
The QB is not a transfer. He’s an incoming freshman from Cleveland’s Muni. league.
At the North Ridgville scrimmage now. The kid is legit. Offense has consistently moved the ball. Over the top of the defense more times than I can remember. (Another right now as I type.)
All of their LB’s are rotating at RB and look good. All have different running styles.

Defense has been on and off but I’ve yet to see them field a full cast of what I’d think would be starters. One of the big LB transfers is not in pads yet.

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that the Bruins are not short on coaching.
I cannot see how their short on talent.
This should be an interesting team to watch this season.
Old 08-07-18, 07:30 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
I am glad to see Padua has found success again. Last year the OLine was HUGE! Are these transfers only going to be able to play the first 5 games?
Old 08-07-18, 09:51 PM
All District

River_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
I am glad to see Padua has found success again. Last year the OLine was HUGE! Are these transfers only going to be able to play the first 5 games?
Depends on where the transfer is from. Public to private transfers would have to sit the first five games and would be eligible week six.
Old 08-07-18, 10:26 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post

Only one of the transfers has to sit the first five games.

Both lines and the LB’s are big.
Old 08-07-18, 11:21 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Transfer rule has changed. Play the first 5 and sit the rest. Looking forward to a possible D3 semi final matchup between region 9 & 10. Padua has good size while the Irish are also very big up front loaded with track athletes who can fly. Irish Defense will be nasty.
Old 08-08-18, 03:15 AM
All District

Big lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021 View Post
Only one of the transfers has to sit the first five games.

Both lines and the LB’s are big.
NDCL played four teams that had very big lines last season. Hoban, Padua, LC and WS. Hoban and Padua were successful while LC went 5-5 and WS, 1-9. NDCL does not have a big line ever. In fact, they are lucky to average 220# on offense and usually are less than that. Yet, NDCL has been quite successful over the past six years. I attribute it to superior coaching, speed and athleticism. I don't see Coach Mooney doing anything special to attract super-big linemen although the team does have some exceptions. His ideal player seems to be 5'10" or taller with a weight of 170# and up with an accent on speed and athleticism. At the college level, it reminds me of Penn State. Paterno always said speed first and size second. Just saying.
Old 08-08-18, 04:03 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Just got a strange text from a player at Padua. “Eric, you are just the kind of player our coaches would love to have transfer over to Padua. Hit me up if you have any questions.”

Interesting strategy. But I think you have the wrong Eric. Unless you need a wire cloth guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-18, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Transfer rule has changed. Play the first 5 and sit the rest. Looking forward to a possible D3 semi final matchup between region 9 & 10. Padua has good size while the Irish are also very big up front loaded with track athletes who can fly. Irish Defense will be nasty.
Stars is correct, the transfer rule changed for 2018. If they played elsewhere in 2017 they play the 1st five and sit the balance of this season. Fully eligible going forward.

In general Padua is getting very aggressive in the athletic programs. Their powerhouse volleyball program basically picked up a free agent last year to fill a key position on a state title level team.
Old 08-08-18, 10:18 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Depends when he transferred. If he transferred before the new rule went into effect, then he sits outs the first 5. If he transferred after the new rule, he sits out the last 5 and playoffs. The new rule went into effect, I believe May 16th, 2018. So again, you would have to look at his transfer date to see what half of the season he sits.
Old 08-08-18, 11:18 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Just got a strange text from a player at Padua. “Eric, you are just the kind of player our coaches would love to have transfer over to Padua. Hit me up if you have any questions.”

Interesting strategy. But I think you have the wrong Eric. Unless you need a wire cloth guy.

Nothing on the books against grade school friends talking.
Old 08-08-18, 11:22 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhaven View Post
NDCL played four teams that had very big lines last season. Hoban, Padua, LC and WS. Hoban and Padua were successful while LC went 5-5 and WS, 1-9. NDCL does not have a big line ever. In fact, they are lucky to average 220# on offense and usually are less than that. Yet, NDCL has been quite successful over the past six years. I attribute it to superior coaching, speed and athleticism. I don't see Coach Mooney doing anything special to attract super-big linemen although the team does have some exceptions. His ideal player seems to be 5'10" or taller with a weight of 170# and up with an accent on speed and athleticism. At the college level, it reminds me of Penn State. Paterno always said speed first and size second. Just saying.

I don’t ever remember Paterno
playing with lineman who were 5’10 / 170...

Seriously though, I agree, NDCL is generally smaller and quicker on the lines. Good program, well coached.
Old 08-09-18, 03:33 AM
All District

Paterno's 170 lb linemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Eagle View Post
I don’t ever remember Paterno
playing with lineman who were 5’10 / 170...

Seriously though, I agree, NDCL is generally smaller and quicker on the lines. Good program, well coached.
I wasn't suggesting Paterno played with 170 lb linemen. Just that Paterno always valued speed over size. In that way, he is similar to Mooney. And, I didn't say that Mooney played 170 lb linemen. Interestingly enough, one of the most capable All Ohio tackles in the history books weighed only 215 lbs. Cikach. My point is and especially today, just having a huge line is no guarantee that a school is going to have a successful football season. Beyond that, I should have added Cleveland Hts. Huge line and fast. Without the coaching, it was all wasted.
Old 08-10-18, 11:35 AM
Varsity

Quote:

This is the second time, you’ve brought his up with Padua? Care to share specifics?
Old 08-11-18, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
So the transfer RB from Valley Forge last year won't see the field this year after sitting his sophomore year?
Old 08-11-18, 10:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld View Post
So the transfer RB from Valley Forge last year won't see the field this year after sitting his sophomore year?
Transferred before the rule change. Will be eligible to play week 6 / start of conference play.
Old 08-11-18, 01:07 PM
Varsity

Two transfers are imediatley eligable. The third transferred in January and will be eligible week six.
Old 08-11-18, 09:08 PM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
Transferred before the rule change. Will be eligible to play week 6 / start of conference play.
He transferred after his freshman year and sat out his whole sophomore year. Why would he have to sit 6 more games this year?
Old 08-12-18, 07:59 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld View Post
He transferred after his freshman year and sat out his whole sophomore year. Why would he have to sit 6 more games this year?
You guys are talking about two different kids.

The LB that transferred after Christmas break has to sit five games.
The freshman transfer is eligible now.
Old 08-12-18, 08:13 AM
Varsity

Scrimmage at North Royalton yesterday.

NR who historically is a pretty terrible football team had a lot to say before, during and after....

The Bruins reacted with more than a handful of personal fouls.
In the context of the scrimmage I really liked it. This defense has an attitude to it. And backed it up with some pretty stellar play.

#1 defense as it sits now gave up nothing and forced two turnovers.
Two really solid defensive ends and the LB’s looked great with one of the big transfers out of pads and will be until week six. He’ll give them a big boost just in time for Hoban.

The defensive secondary needs some work but I think we’ll see some athletes moved back there once the QB/ WR positions are settled.
Old 08-12-18, 06:07 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
2018 Padua football

It’s funny. We all know Padua was doing some good things. It seemed like they would avoid the low road.

But with all of these transfers coming in and complaints being filed to the OHsaa they are nothing more than a watered down version of Hoban. And by watered down I mean flooded down.

But yea, the system and “process” is still the main reason for their success...lol.

Old 08-12-18, 07:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
But with all of these transfers coming in and complaints being filed to the OHsaa

Okay