Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Elks 19 50.00%
Knights 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-18, 04:51 PM
All American

King Arthur is an unknown quantity at this point
^ now you are really losing it. You were whining Centerville shouldn't play Alter this year but now you have Centerville -14. Dude, make up your mind.
Old 07-18-18, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post
Just imagine....Alter beats BOTH the Firebirds and the Elks? Well, it's just a dream. But what if some twist of fate happens?

Nah, couldn't be.

But what if?
Uh just imagine a D3 team with 33 seniors on the roster. Uh South Dayton all-star team competing against public schools who must play the kids in their district. Uh wouldn't be surprised if Alter wins both games. This is what is wrong with high school football in the state.
Old 07-18-18, 04:56 PM
All World

FHSBirds99 is an unknown quantity at this point
What if you were relevant, just what if? Lol
Quote:
Just imagine....Alter beats BOTH the Firebirds and the Elks? Well, it's just a dream. But what if some twist of fate happens?

Nah, couldn't be.

But what if?
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-18, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Let's see. Open with Fairmont, then play Centerville. Then DeSales. All of those teams are challenges, but mostly the numbers work against being able to keep a DIV sized team healthy throughout the whole season. DeSales will be a great challenge, with 150% of Alter's enrollment. But Fairmont and Centerville are many multiples the size of Alter.

Coach D is right. Alter is, size-wise, a DIV team, playing in DIII. The whole reason for divisions is because the smaller the team, the fewer the big, fast, great players on the line. Alter has done well in its division, even bumped up by CB, because of great coaching and discipline, and outstanding off-season work. Last year we saw a huge size advantage for Fairmont, and when we last played Centerville the line size, strength and speed was the difference in the game.

Injuries are part of the game, and Alter doesn't have over 1,000 boys to choose from. The first team gets a lot done, but we're not 3 and 4 deep, like the better DI teams.

Alter has never cut anyone from its football team. Everybody who shows up and stays is on the team. The Knights can compete with anyone for one game, but not waves of bigger linemen every week, because of injuries. When we played St. X, Moeller and Elder, we could hang in the first half, and second half the clean unis showed up. Our tongues were hanging out. Still, we were able once to beat Elder in the Pit.

Now that Fairmont has its act together, with its 1300 boys to Alter's 300, it's hard to see how Alter's line doesn't get banged up to start every season. Fairmont and Centerville have more boys in each class than Alter has in all four grades combined.

Planning to play 15 games, you have to play someone your own size most weeks. Centerville and Fairmont fans can mock Alter's schedule because there isn't anybody bigger than those schools, and they have all the big guys they need. It's like Sugar Ray or Marvelous Marvin fighting Sonny Liston every week. Those numbers don't compute.
Uh, Alter is a south Dayton all-star team competing against public schools who must play the kids who live in their district. Uh kids come to Alter because they are great athletes or are very good students.
Old 07-18-18, 05:35 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, Alter is a south Dayton all-star team competing against public schools who must play the kids who live in their district. Uh kids come to Alter because they are great athletes or are very good students.
You may be right. However, there is nothing stopping a school district from going open enrollment and doing the same thing. Obviously if it works, why not do it, right?
Old 07-18-18, 05:50 PM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
^ now you are really losing it. You were whining Centerville shouldn't play Alter this year but now you have Centerville -14. Dude, make up your mind.

Spellcheck.......sorry!

Meant:

Firebirds favored over knights by 3

Knights favored over Elks by 14

Elks AD should have held out until the knights agreed to a 2nd game IMHO.
Old 07-18-18, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
You may be right. However, there is nothing stopping a school district from going open enrollment and doing the same thing. Obviously if it works, why not do it, right?
Uh open enrollment is up to each individual school board and each board can put restrictions on open enrollment. Uh it is not as simple as it seems. Uh taxes in each district and the availability of classroom space is huge.
Old 07-18-18, 06:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Agedjock is delusional and only sees the numbers and doesn't realize or admit to Alters recruitment of athletically inclined players from DI and DII schools including Fairmont and Centerville. If all 1000 or 1300 boys came out for football, which doesn't happen, then that would be relevant. The truth is, of the boys that attend Alter, probably 75-80% of them are there for athletics.

Old 07-18-18, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHSBirds99 View Post
Agedjock is delusional and only sees the numbers and doesn't realize or admit to Alters recruitment of athletically inclined players from DI and DII schools including Fairmont and Centerville. If all 1000 or 1300 boys came out for football, which doesn't happen, then that would be relevant. The truth is, of the boys that attend Alter, probably 75-80% of them are there for athletics.

Uh, I wonder how many D3teams in the state have 33 seniors on their roster? Uh or how many D1 teams have 33 seniors on their roster?
Old 07-18-18, 06:37 PM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Elks have 19 seniors on the roster this year
Old 07-18-18, 08:41 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
This year, Alter should be favored...and will likely win. But it still makes good sense for this game ( a local fan favorite ) to be played. Good for both teams.
Old 07-18-18, 08:52 PM
Varsity

HSFootballFan1972 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased1 View Post
Spellcheck.......sorry!

Meant:

Firebirds favored over knights by 3

Knights favored over Elks by 14

Elks AD should have held out until the knights agreed to a 2nd game IMHO.
It is a two year deal, but not specified when, in the next 5 years the second game will be played. I'm sure Domsitz will try to wait out the Harrison years...or try to get out of the second game completely.
Old 07-18-18, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
It's great the Alter vs. Centerville game is being played again! I'll give you all some history about the games between these two schools. I attended 3 of the Alter vs. Centerville games, in the 1965, 1966 and 1967 seasons.

Centerville and Alter played 4 games in the 1960s. Their first ever game was back in the 1964 season. This was Alter's first year as a high school, and didn't have a senior class. Centerville won that game 32-0.

The 1965 season game was a very different story. Alter had it's first senior class, and totally annihilated Centerville 38-0 at Fairmont HS stadium. I attended this game, and I lost a lot of bets to my neighborhood Alter buddies. Centerville even had a good team that season. They won the DSL title (Dayton Suburban League) and was ranked 7th in the Miami Valley. But Alter was ranked #1 in the Miami Valley, and the very next week, trounced a good Chaminade team in the final game of the season, 27-6.

I also attended the 1966 game, which was played at Centerville. You could have called this game the Mud Bowl! Wow, I remember one punt going high in the air, then plopping down around midfield and just stuck there, without even bouncing! This was being broadcast as the game of the week on Dayton radio, and I could hear those game announcers up in the booth just letting out a big laugh as the ball just stuck there in the mud. I believe Alter won in a shutout 18-0.

I also attended the 1967 game, which was also played at Centerville Stadium. The field was slick after rain had fallen, but it wasn't played in a mud bath like the previous season. I think Alter won 18-6 that season, with Centerville scoring a TD late in the game on a passing play to Dave Fox, who made an exceptional catch between two Alter defenders. I remember two Alter students who were walking by, with one of them saying, "Oh, they scored on us."
Old 07-18-18, 10:27 PM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Game on!

Centerville can win this game if Alter is without Bivens. There is no way the Elks are a 14 point underdog here. Alter will struggle more this year than people think because they will be forced to throw the ball more which is out of character for what they want to do with their offense. It reminds me of Zaire’s senior year except Bazelak doesn’t run as well.
Old 07-18-18, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

I think Alter usually broadcasts their games online, so probably this game will be. Anyone know for sure?
Old 07-18-18, 11:13 PM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_E_Woyote View Post
I think Alter usually broadcasts their games online, so probably this game will be. Anyone know for sure?
http://ohiosportsline.net/

Go Elks!
Old 07-18-18, 11:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk View Post
Great thanks. I would like to fly out from the west coast to see this game. I was in Marquette, Michigan last week for the memorial of my dad and visiting with relatives there. So I guess that will be my annual trip to the midwest this year.
Old 07-19-18, 05:02 AM
All American

Quote:

Name all the Alter players from Centerville and Kettering that did not go to a parochial school.
Old 07-19-18, 07:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Name all the Alter players from Centerville and Kettering that did not go to a parochial school.
Let me clarify, in Centerville and Fairmont school district.

Old 07-19-18, 08:09 AM
All American

Quote:
Alters recruitment of athletically inclined players from DI and DII schools including Fairmont and Centerville.
Name all the Alter players recruited from Fairmont and Centerville, which did not start their education in a parochial school?
Old 07-19-18, 08:22 AM
Freshman

ColumbusCatholic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Name all the Alter players recruited from Fairmont and Centerville, which did not start their education in a parochial school?

Well played sir!! I'll wait for their answer. I love the fact that they think Centerville and Fairmont own the players that go to Alter but live in the district
Old 07-19-18, 08:43 AM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusCatholic View Post
Well played sir!! I'll wait for their answer. I love the fact that they think Centerville and Fairmont own the players that go to Alter but live in the district
Alter has kids from multiple districts including Fairmont, Centerville, and Beavercreek which was a big factor in competitive balance. The % of boys that play football as compared to the overall boys enrollment is much higher than you see in public schools. Alter's success over the last 10 years has been that "success breeds success". Kids have been choosing to be part of a state championship contender which is no different than what happened at Wayne. If Centerville or Fairmont becomes a consistent state contender, they will have more kids moving into their districts too.
Old 07-19-18, 08:59 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Elk Strong I was specifically referring to King Arthur's post......nothing but crickets on a response so far
Old 07-19-18, 09:16 AM
All American

Well as I reflect, Alter was bumped up to D3 because, I assume, they had a number of players on the team that did not play in Alter's feeder program. I might be wrong, but I think that is what the competitive balance formula looks at. How many of these players "transferred" I do not know.

As far as I know, Alter does not recruit. I say that based on years of having my children attend Alter and being quite active in the football program. As Bull Strong states, Alter does attract kids (both in these communities as well as within the existing student body that would likely not play football) because of the success the program has enjoyed over the past 10 plus years. However, attracting is different from recruiting.
Old 07-19-18, 09:28 AM
All World

Ok, we will use your term...attract. Do they offer scholarships for players that may not be able to afford? Maybe student aid?

Old 07-19-18, 09:35 AM
All American

There is a voucher program that I believe most Catholic schools have but as far as I know, it isn't tied to athletics but instead merit.
Old 07-19-18, 09:38 AM
Varsity

SouthWestOhio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well as I reflect, Alter was bumped up to D3 because, I assume, they had a number of players on the team that did not play in Alter's feeder program. I might be wrong, but I think that is what the competitive balance formula looks at. How many of these players "transferred" I do not know.

As far as I know, Alter does not recruit. I say that based on years of having my children attend Alter and being quite active in the football program. As Bull Strong states, Alter does attract kids (both in these communities as well as within the existing student body that would likely not play football) because of the success the program has enjoyed over the past 10 plus years. However, attracting is different from recruiting.
Attracting and recruiting, only a slight difference. My guess is most of those players that did not play in the Alter feeder system did not play for Wee Elks either.
Old 07-19-18, 09:41 AM
All American

Attracting and recruiting are not even close to the same definition.
Old 07-19-18, 10:25 AM
Freshman

Quote:

I believe Alter has to list one feeder school. Anyone not from that one feeder school is added to CB. Even if every student from the non designated school traditionally goes to Alter......many look at the CB number and think that is strictly the number of recruited kids "stolen" from these public schools.....couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 07-19-18, 10:42 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusCatholic View Post
I believe Alter has to list one feeder school. Anyone not from that one feeder school is added to CB. Even if every student from the non designated school traditionally goes to Alter......many look at the CB number and think that is strictly the number of recruited kids "stolen" from these public schools.....couldn't be further from the truth.
That is correct and i assume the feeder is the grade school next door. Btw, McNick is at least one of the Catholic schools not offering vouchers. I kind of wish they did to be honest.