Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 08-17-18, 07:51 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 637
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Octopus View Post
Don't let who is under center be your determining factor on attending the game. They are both interchangeable. Athletic, shorter, competitive kids with nice arms. There are many future D1 kids playing in this game to watch on both sides. Probably not at QB though.
I am definitely going Friday to Eds at Mentor and definitely going Saturday to Hoban at Ignatius (no matter who Hobans Qb is). 2 awesome matchups to start the season.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 08-18-18, 12:36 AM
Copley King Copley King is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-26-17
Posts: 126
Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Which one. There are 2. Hamm or Mick?
I promise you this, it will definitely be the sophomore starting at QB.....the one with the ring!!!! ��
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 08-18-18, 01:48 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Hightower, a junior at Eds, just transferred to Hoban. He is also a bball player.
He's only been there a week, but he's going right in the starting lineup.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 08-18-18, 08:12 PM
ArmChairCoach ArmChairCoach is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-09-17
Location: Vatican
Posts: 99
ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
Or the kid meets one of the exceptions.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 08-18-18, 09:15 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
Or the kid meets one of the exceptions.
He does, his father moved to a different county for employment reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 08-18-18, 09:36 PM
ArmChairCoach ArmChairCoach is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-09-17
Location: Vatican
Posts: 99
ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
He does, his father moved to a different county for employment reasons.
Perfect! Was just trying to comment to the post above mine about why OHSAA wouldnít enforce their own rules.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 08-19-18, 09:04 AM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Octopus View Post
Don't let who is under center be your determining factor on attending the game. They are both interchangeable. Athletic, shorter, competitive kids with nice arms. There are many future D1 kids playing in this game to watch on both sides. Probably not at QB though.
I wouldn't say they're interchangeable at this point, one has 15 varsity starts under his belt, the other zero. As we saw last year, that's not a great recipe for success vs a team like Iggy. They're going to load the box again and put it all on the young, inexperienced QB. Hoban's D will need to keep them in, but I don't think that unit is in nearly as good of a spot as they were week 1 last year. They have a long way to go. I'm a Hoban supporter, but I expect Iggy to win this rather decisively, unless they're just not sharp at all. I'm also of the opinion that getting it handed to them would be good in the long run for this particular Hoban team, as some of these kids might need a jolt of reality.

Last edited by Redwing; 08-19-18 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 08-19-18, 09:23 AM
Copley King Copley King is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-26-17
Posts: 126
Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I wouldn't say they're interchangeable at this point, one has 15 varsity starts under his belt, the other zero. As we saw last year, that's not a great recipe for success vs a team like Iggy. They're going to load the box again and put it all on the young, inexperienced QB. Hoban's D will need to keep them in, but I don't think that unit is in nearly as good of a spot as they were week 1 last year. They have a long way to go. I'm a Hoban supporter, but I expect Iggy to win this rather decisively, unless they're just not sharp at all. I'm also of the opinion that getting it handed to them would be good in the long run for this particular Hoban team, as some of these kids might need a jolt of reality.
Iggy's not looking all that great,they have the body's but not full of talent, Hoban has the edge when it comes to talent and the young knights are fearless, Iggy ain't Bama.... I think a lot of people are giving Iggy way to much credit, They did not look all that impressive at McKinley... If you know anything about these young Knights their winners,I wouldn't be surprised if a Defensive play doesn't wins the game for the knights ...24-14 Hoban

Last edited by Copley King; 08-19-18 at 09:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 08-19-18, 09:26 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,980
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
The real world (fatherís employment) doesnít work around sports seasons. The OHSAA has been consistent in verified moves for employment. It is what it Is.

The clown show part of the OHSAA is the suspension of one kid out of hundreds.
I'll readily plead ignorance to the strictures of the transfer rules. And I certainly have no knowledge of the family situation. But, in general, does a change of jobs from Cleveland to Youngstown in and of itself fall within the exception to allow an athlete to transfer to an Akron school without penalty? I can think of 100 factors that could readily explain the move. But my question is, "Is it necessary to show any additional factors?" Or is it simply enough for the family to say the father's employment got moved to Youngstown and we moved and want to send our child to, in this case, Hoban? I'm all for families sending their kids to the school of their choice. But I was wondering how broadly the exception is written, or are there other factors the family has to show OHSAA. I'm not even concerned what those factors could be in this case; not really any of my business. It's more of a general rule interpretation question.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 08-19-18, 09:43 AM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
Iggy's not looking all that great,they have the body's but not full of talent, Hoban has the edge when it comes to talent and the young knights are fearless, Iggy ain't Bama.... I think a lot of people are giving Iggy way to much credit, They did not look all that impressive at McKinley... If you know anything about these young Knights their winners...24-14 Hoban
It's pretty well known that their sophomore class is not your typical Iggy class, but they are still loaded with stud vets at both DE spots, LB and the secondary. If Hoban can score 24 on them without the aid of turnovers I will be very surprised. They are a work in progress on offense, with 5 new OL and QB spot that will probably rotate early in the year. I just think their experience on D trumps Hoban's experience on O, especially with the inexperienced QB.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 08-19-18, 09:50 AM
Copley King Copley King is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-26-17
Posts: 126
Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
It's pretty well known that their sophomore class is not your typical Iggy class, but they are still loaded with stud vets at both DE spots, LB and the secondary. If Hoban can score 24 on them without the aid of turnovers I will be very surprised. They are a work in progress on offense, with 5 new OL and QB spot that will probably rotate early in the year. I just think their experience on D trumps Hoban's experience on O, especially with the inexperienced QB.
Don't under estimate the young quarterback... But I totally understand your point and we'll see
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 08-19-18, 09:59 AM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
Don't under estimate the young quarterback... But I totally understand your point and we'll see
Hey, I hope Mick plays great, the oline opens holes and Hoban looks formidable, win or lose. Either way, this game will benefit them going forward no matter the outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 08-19-18, 11:43 AM
garydaddy1 garydaddy1 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Location: Davenport, Florida
Posts: 2,537
garydaddy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
1. I'm sure you feel just fine cause football is right around the corner!
2. "So serious"? I would say the only thing I am serious about when it comes to Yappi and HS football is getting on I90 and heading west to see awesome Ohio HS football games for the next 15 weeks!. And travel quite a ways to do it.
But it's worth every mile.
I wish I could do it, but my commute would be
a 1,000 road miles.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 08-19-18, 11:53 AM
garydaddy1 garydaddy1 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Location: Davenport, Florida
Posts: 2,537
garydaddy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I am definitely going Friday to Eds at Mentor and definitely going Saturday to Hoban at Ignatius (no matter who Hobans Qb is). 2 awesome matchups to start the season.
I'm jealous. Wish I could be at both games also.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 08-20-18, 06:21 PM
buckeye53 buckeye53 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-30-14
Location: The Sierra Nevada, NorCal
Posts: 679
buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Our local boys opened with a win last Friday night, so glad we’re playing ball !
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 08-20-18, 10:37 PM
hoban2020 hoban2020 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-31-13
Posts: 482
hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
Don't under estimate the young quarterback... But I totally understand your point and we'll see

To bkmk1, who asked the question about the possible suspension, I was with someone within the program this evening and I learned that the suspension rumor is real - apparently not a surprise to some posters who were dancing around it - and that the person who turned him in may be one of our our Yappi regulars. Intriguing, if true ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 08-20-18, 11:04 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
To bkmk1, who asked the question about the possible suspension, I was with someone within the program this evening and I learned that the suspension rumor is real - apparently not a surprise to some posters who were dancing around it - and that the person who turned him in may be one of our our Yappi regulars. Intriguing, if true ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They've known for months, the coaches addressed it with the entire team for the first time on Sat.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 08-21-18, 07:05 AM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 637
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
To bkmk1, who asked the question about the possible suspension, I was with someone within the program this evening and I learned that the suspension rumor is real - apparently not a surprise to some posters who were dancing around it - and that the person who turned him in may be one of our our Yappi regulars. Intriguing, if true ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update. But I still don't understand how OHSAA has jurisdiction over a student that played in some ALL-Star football game as an 8th grader. I would have thought the OHSAA is a governing body for 9-12 grades kids enrolled at schools playing an OHSAA sanctioned sport. Evidently not. It would be nice to here the explanation as to what he did wrong, and what rule he violated, and why OHSAA has any say in it. Without complete understanding and knowledge of what took place, it makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 08-21-18, 07:36 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 11,462
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I think some are assuming a school turned in a complaint. That need not be true.

In any event, it is a bad rule. OHSAA should have some real issues to pursue around the state. This one was probably pretty easy for them so they pursued it while they turn a blind eye at some pretty shady stuff that might require a little work.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 08-21-18, 08:54 AM
Copley King Copley King is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-26-17
Posts: 126
Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think some are assuming a school turned in a complaint. That need not be true.

In any event, it is a bad rule. OHSAA should have some real issues to pursue around the state. This one was probably pretty easy for them so they pursued it while they turn a blind eye at some pretty shady stuff that might require a little work.
Dumb petty rule.... And even more petty the person that turned in a 8th grader for playing a game.... Haters are everywhere at all levels....
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 08-21-18, 09:44 AM
hoban2020 hoban2020 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-31-13
Posts: 482
hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Hoban 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
The school does not know who their accuser is. Anything you have heard is rumor or speculation.

Bobby,

I believe you that they donít know for sure; however, I only know the true identities of about 5 people on Yappi and the name of the individual spoken last night and this personís Yappi posts would make total sense if he was the individual who reported the situation to OHSAA.

Oddly enough, through other studentsí names mentioned by my kids and this posterís messages over the years I know of this person (wouldnít recognize the guy). But the speculated name makes sense as someone who would report.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by hoban2020; 08-21-18 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 08-21-18, 10:05 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 11,462
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Two obvious signs that you may have an unhealthy interest in high school sports:
1) You break an OHSAA rule to gain a competitive advantage;
2) As a person not employed by a member school, you investigate and report a violation.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 08-21-18, 10:20 AM
Beachin Beachin is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 05-12-16
Posts: 7
Beachin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Thanks for the update. But I still don't understand how OHSAA has jurisdiction over a student that played in some ALL-Star football game as an 8th grader. I would have thought the OHSAA is a governing body for 9-12 grades kids enrolled at schools playing an OHSAA sanctioned sport. Evidently not. It would be nice to here the explanation as to what he did wrong, and what rule he violated, and why OHSAA has any say in it. Without complete understanding and knowledge of what took place, it makes no sense to me.
OHSAA is the governing body for athletics for member schools for grades 7-12. There are specific regulations for 7-8 and 9-12 grades. In addition to football regulations there are general sports regulations which players have to abide by. By looking at the regulations (7.4) and penalties (7.8), it looks like the maximum penalty could have been the whole ensuing season - which would have been his freshman year if this took place after the 8th grade football season was over - so I guess one game isn't too bad...
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 08-21-18, 10:35 AM
ArmChairCoach ArmChairCoach is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-09-17
Location: Vatican
Posts: 99
ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
What about baseball players that play in “all-star” showcases or b-ball “all-star” teams. Are they violators as well?
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 08-21-18, 10:46 AM
Beachin Beachin is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 05-12-16
Posts: 7
Beachin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
What about baseball players that play in ďall-starĒ showcases or b-ball ďall-starĒ teams. Are they violators as well?
Read 7.3 - different sports have different rules - football is out there on its own. I'm no expert, just reading it from the OSHAA website.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 08-21-18, 11:21 AM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Rules are rules, and petty is petty. It takes a very small man to turn in a kid for playing a game in 8th grade, and hopefully he's re-examining the priorities in his life. Should probably move high school sports down a notch or two.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 08-21-18, 12:11 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Iíve received PMs about this numerous times with this person you are accusing of reporting to OHSAA. Heís a big STVM supporter, but he is NOT a STVM admin. Therefore, since he is not a STVM admin, he has no say.

ONLY HS administrators can report people.
Call me a cynic, but I think they'll take intel from anyone. They don't have to reveal their sources, and I'm guessing they're not going to pass on an opportunity to flex any of their puny muscles when it comes to Hoban. I heard Tim Stried talking once about how investigations start, and he mentioned how they get left messages all the time from anonymous people.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 08-21-18, 01:05 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 11,462
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Makes me think of the people who call the PGA and USGA when they see a ball marked incorrectly or a ball move 1/16 of an inch on slow mo during a tournament.

While the OHSAA bylaws appear to make school officials "mandatory reporters", I don't see any prohibition on them taking reports from others. That being said, they should ignore such report much like the PGA and USGA opted to do. If the member schools don't have the stones to step up, they deserve whatever they get.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 08-21-18, 01:42 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 773
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Makes me think of the people who call the PGA and USGA when they see a ball marked incorrectly or a ball move 1/16 of an inch on slow mo during a tournament.

While the OHSAA bylaws appear to make school officials "mandatory reporters", I don't see any prohibition on them taking reports from others. That being said, they should ignore such report much like the PGA and USGA opted to do. If the member schools don't have the stones to step up, they deserve whatever they get.
Stried said while they don't usually act on any one piece of info they receive, if they have multiple tips come in on the same subject matter, their ears will perk up.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 08-21-18, 03:04 PM
the green fog the green fog is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 08-13-18
Location: Hoban
Posts: 126
the green fog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Can Hoban continue to cheat effectively and win another title ? Will be a tough climb this year .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Canton McKinley Bulldogs Football Season IUDOGS Football 621 10-22-18 08:03 AM
Hoban baseball 2018 MERKLE Baseball 24 05-02-18 03:25 PM
Prep Hoops Ohio (Rankings) Krasula24 Boys Basketball 3 02-01-18 08:54 AM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz