Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-17-18, 07:51 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Octopus View Post
Don't let who is under center be your determining factor on attending the game. They are both interchangeable. Athletic, shorter, competitive kids with nice arms. There are many future D1 kids playing in this game to watch on both sides. Probably not at QB though.
I am definitely going Friday to Eds at Mentor and definitely going Saturday to Hoban at Ignatius (no matter who Hobans Qb is). 2 awesome matchups to start the season.
Old 08-18-18, 12:36 AM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Which one. There are 2. Hamm or Mick?
I promise you this, it will definitely be the sophomore starting at QB.....the one with the ring!!!! ��
Old 08-18-18, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Hightower, a junior at Eds, just transferred to Hoban. He is also a bball player.
He's only been there a week, but he's going right in the starting lineup.
Old 08-18-18, 08:12 PM
Varsity

ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
Or the kid meets one of the exceptions.
Old 08-18-18, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
Or the kid meets one of the exceptions.
He does, his father moved to a different county for employment reasons.
Old 08-18-18, 09:36 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
He does, his father moved to a different county for employment reasons.
Perfect! Was just trying to comment to the post above mine about why OHSAA wouldnít enforce their own rules.
Old 08-19-18, 09:04 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Octopus View Post
Don't let who is under center be your determining factor on attending the game. They are both interchangeable. Athletic, shorter, competitive kids with nice arms. There are many future D1 kids playing in this game to watch on both sides. Probably not at QB though.
I wouldn't say they're interchangeable at this point, one has 15 varsity starts under his belt, the other zero. As we saw last year, that's not a great recipe for success vs a team like Iggy. They're going to load the box again and put it all on the young, inexperienced QB. Hoban's D will need to keep them in, but I don't think that unit is in nearly as good of a spot as they were week 1 last year. They have a long way to go. I'm a Hoban supporter, but I expect Iggy to win this rather decisively, unless they're just not sharp at all. I'm also of the opinion that getting it handed to them would be good in the long run for this particular Hoban team, as some of these kids might need a jolt of reality.

Last edited by Redwing; 08-19-18 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-19-18, 09:23 AM
All District

Quote:
I wouldn't say they're interchangeable at this point, one has 15 varsity starts under his belt, the other zero. As we saw last year, that's not a great recipe for success vs a team like Iggy. They're going to load the box again and put it all on the young, inexperienced QB. Hoban's D will need to keep them in, but I don't think that unit is in nearly as good of a spot as they were week 1 last year. They have a long way to go. I'm a Hoban supporter, but I expect Iggy to win this rather decisively, unless they're just not sharp at all. I'm also of the opinion that getting it handed to them would be good in the long run for this particular Hoban team, as some of these kids might need a jolt of reality.
Iggy's not looking all that great,they have the body's but not full of talent, Hoban has the edge when it comes to talent and the young knights are fearless, Iggy ain't Bama.... I think a lot of people are giving Iggy way to much credit, They did not look all that impressive at McKinley... If you know anything about these young Knights their winners,I wouldn't be surprised if a Defensive play doesn't wins the game for the knights ...24-14 Hoban

Last edited by Copley King; 08-19-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 09:26 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
The real world (fatherís employment) doesnít work around sports seasons. The OHSAA has been consistent in verified moves for employment. It is what it Is.

The clown show part of the OHSAA is the suspension of one kid out of hundreds.
I'll readily plead ignorance to the strictures of the transfer rules. And I certainly have no knowledge of the family situation. But, in general, does a change of jobs from Cleveland to Youngstown in and of itself fall within the exception to allow an athlete to transfer to an Akron school without penalty? I can think of 100 factors that could readily explain the move. But my question is, "Is it necessary to show any additional factors?" Or is it simply enough for the family to say the father's employment got moved to Youngstown and we moved and want to send our child to, in this case, Hoban? I'm all for families sending their kids to the school of their choice. But I was wondering how broadly the exception is written, or are there other factors the family has to show OHSAA. I'm not even concerned what those factors could be in this case; not really any of my business. It's more of a general rule interpretation question.
Old 08-19-18, 09:43 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
Iggy's not looking all that great,they have the body's but not full of talent, Hoban has the edge when it comes to talent and the young knights are fearless, Iggy ain't Bama.... I think a lot of people are giving Iggy way to much credit, They did not look all that impressive at McKinley... If you know anything about these young Knights their winners...24-14 Hoban
It's pretty well known that their sophomore class is not your typical Iggy class, but they are still loaded with stud vets at both DE spots, LB and the secondary. If Hoban can score 24 on them without the aid of turnovers I will be very surprised. They are a work in progress on offense, with 5 new OL and QB spot that will probably rotate early in the year. I just think their experience on D trumps Hoban's experience on O, especially with the inexperienced QB.
Old 08-19-18, 09:50 AM
All District

Quote:
It's pretty well known that their sophomore class is not your typical Iggy class, but they are still loaded with stud vets at both DE spots, LB and the secondary. If Hoban can score 24 on them without the aid of turnovers I will be very surprised. They are a work in progress on offense, with 5 new OL and QB spot that will probably rotate early in the year. I just think their experience on D trumps Hoban's experience on O, especially with the inexperienced QB.
Don't under estimate the young quarterback... But I totally understand your point and we'll see
Old 08-19-18, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Don't under estimate the young quarterback... But I totally understand your point and we'll see
Hey, I hope Mick plays great, the oline opens holes and Hoban looks formidable, win or lose. Either way, this game will benefit them going forward no matter the outcome.
Old 08-19-18, 11:43 AM
All World

garydaddy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. I'm sure you feel just fine cause football is right around the corner!
2. "So serious"? I would say the only thing I am serious about when it comes to Yappi and HS football is getting on I90 and heading west to see awesome Ohio HS football games for the next 15 weeks!. And travel quite a ways to do it.
But it's worth every mile.
I wish I could do it, but my commute would be
a 1,000 road miles.
Old 08-19-18, 11:53 AM
All World

garydaddy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am definitely going Friday to Eds at Mentor and definitely going Saturday to Hoban at Ignatius (no matter who Hobans Qb is). 2 awesome matchups to start the season.
I'm jealous. Wish I could be at both games also.
Old 08-20-18, 06:21 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Our local boys opened with a win last Friday night, so glad we’re playing ball !
Old 08-20-18, 10:37 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

To bkmk1, who asked the question about the possible suspension, I was with someone within the program this evening and I learned that the suspension rumor is real - apparently not a surprise to some posters who were dancing around it - and that the person who turned him in may be one of our our Yappi regulars. Intriguing, if true ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-18, 11:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
To bkmk1, who asked the question about the possible suspension, I was with someone within the program this evening and I learned that the suspension rumor is real - apparently not a surprise to some posters who were dancing around it - and that the person who turned him in may be one of our our Yappi regulars. Intriguing, if true ...

They've known for months, the coaches addressed it with the entire team for the first time on Sat.
Old 08-21-18, 07:05 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post

Thanks for the update. But I still don't understand how OHSAA has jurisdiction over a student that played in some ALL-Star football game as an 8th grader. I would have thought the OHSAA is a governing body for 9-12 grades kids enrolled at schools playing an OHSAA sanctioned sport. Evidently not. It would be nice to here the explanation as to what he did wrong, and what rule he violated, and why OHSAA has any say in it. Without complete understanding and knowledge of what took place, it makes no sense to me.
Old 08-21-18, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I think some are assuming a school turned in a complaint. That need not be true.

In any event, it is a bad rule. OHSAA should have some real issues to pursue around the state. This one was probably pretty easy for them so they pursued it while they turn a blind eye at some pretty shady stuff that might require a little work.
Old 08-21-18, 08:54 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think some are assuming a school turned in a complaint. That need not be true.

In any event, it is a bad rule. OHSAA should have some real issues to pursue around the state. This one was probably pretty easy for them so they pursued it while they turn a blind eye at some pretty shady stuff that might require a little work.
Dumb petty rule.... And even more petty the person that turned in a 8th grader for playing a game.... Haters are everywhere at all levels....
Old 08-21-18, 09:44 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Hoban 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
The school does not know who their accuser is. Anything you have heard is rumor or speculation.

Bobby,

I believe you that they donít know for sure; however, I only know the true identities of about 5 people on Yappi and the name of the individual spoken last night and this personís Yappi posts would make total sense if he was the individual who reported the situation to OHSAA.

Oddly enough, through other studentsí names mentioned by my kids and this posterís messages over the years I know of this person (wouldnít recognize the guy). But the speculated name makes sense as someone who would report.

Last edited by hoban2020; 08-21-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Two obvious signs that you may have an unhealthy interest in high school sports:
1) You break an OHSAA rule to gain a competitive advantage;
2) As a person not employed by a member school, you investigate and report a violation.
Old 08-21-18, 10:20 AM
Freshman

Beachin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for the update. But I still don't understand how OHSAA has jurisdiction over a student that played in some ALL-Star football game as an 8th grader. I would have thought the OHSAA is a governing body for 9-12 grades kids enrolled at schools playing an OHSAA sanctioned sport. Evidently not. It would be nice to here the explanation as to what he did wrong, and what rule he violated, and why OHSAA has any say in it. Without complete understanding and knowledge of what took place, it makes no sense to me.
OHSAA is the governing body for athletics for member schools for grades 7-12. There are specific regulations for 7-8 and 9-12 grades. In addition to football regulations there are general sports regulations which players have to abide by. By looking at the regulations (7.4) and penalties (7.8), it looks like the maximum penalty could have been the whole ensuing season - which would have been his freshman year if this took place after the 8th grade football season was over - so I guess one game isn't too bad...
Old 08-21-18, 10:35 AM
Varsity

What about baseball players that play in “all-star” showcases or b-ball “all-star” teams. Are they violators as well?
Old 08-21-18, 10:46 AM
Freshman

Beachin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
What about baseball players that play in ďall-starĒ showcases or b-ball ďall-starĒ teams. Are they violators as well?
Read 7.3 - different sports have different rules - football is out there on its own. I'm no expert, just reading it from the OSHAA website.
Old 08-21-18, 11:21 AM
All Ohio

Rules are rules, and petty is petty. It takes a very small man to turn in a kid for playing a game in 8th grade, and hopefully he's re-examining the priorities in his life. Should probably move high school sports down a notch or two.
Old 08-21-18, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Iíve received PMs about this numerous times with this person you are accusing of reporting to OHSAA. Heís a big STVM supporter, but he is NOT a STVM admin. Therefore, since he is not a STVM admin, he has no say.

ONLY HS administrators can report people.
Call me a cynic, but I think they'll take intel from anyone. They don't have to reveal their sources, and I'm guessing they're not going to pass on an opportunity to flex any of their puny muscles when it comes to Hoban. I heard Tim Stried talking once about how investigations start, and he mentioned how they get left messages all the time from anonymous people.
Old 08-21-18, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Makes me think of the people who call the PGA and USGA when they see a ball marked incorrectly or a ball move 1/16 of an inch on slow mo during a tournament.

While the OHSAA bylaws appear to make school officials "mandatory reporters", I don't see any prohibition on them taking reports from others. That being said, they should ignore such report much like the PGA and USGA opted to do. If the member schools don't have the stones to step up, they deserve whatever they get.
Old 08-21-18, 01:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Makes me think of the people who call the PGA and USGA when they see a ball marked incorrectly or a ball move 1/16 of an inch on slow mo during a tournament.

While the OHSAA bylaws appear to make school officials "mandatory reporters", I don't see any prohibition on them taking reports from others. That being said, they should ignore such report much like the PGA and USGA opted to do. If the member schools don't have the stones to step up, they deserve whatever they get.
Stried said while they don't usually act on any one piece of info they receive, if they have multiple tips come in on the same subject matter, their ears will perk up.
Old 08-21-18, 03:04 PM
Cooling Off

the green fog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Can Hoban continue to cheat effectively and win another title ? Will be a tough climb this year .