Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-28-18, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
There is no doubt that the early season games between the "big 3" will tell us a lot. But we all know the "big 3" will be meeting again in the playoffs and those are the games that count. The bigger meaning for these early matchups are the Harbin points because none of them have cupcake schedules. Someone could get left out at the end. I for one, hope not. I want to see the big dogs go toe to toe come playoff time. Euclid and Solon could be in the mix to push for the region, but odds are it's the "Big 3" battling for the region Championship in the end.
Those early season games are incredibly important for playoff positioning. If Mentor starts the season 0-2, it puts a ton of pressure on them the rest of the season. Euclid/Solon (and to a lesser extent - Strongsville/Glenville) could challenge or even beat Mentor.

This might be the year that Euclid is a legitimate threat to win the region. They have improved each year under Rotsky. This year's team has a lot of talent. They are very capable of beating Mentor in the regular season. Last year's game was a shootout. Euclid has historically done very well at home against Mentor.
Old 07-28-18, 10:29 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Mentor has a very good schedule this year. Will be tough. Cardz is spot on. Euclid is loaded. They have a shot to break through. And strongsville should be much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-18, 10:39 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Those early season games are incredibly important for playoff positioning. If Mentor starts the season 0-2, it puts a ton of pressure on them the rest of the season. Euclid/Solon (and to a lesser extent - Strongsville/Glenville) could challenge or even beat Mentor.

This might be the year that Euclid is a legitimate threat to win the region. They have improved each year under Rotsky. This year's team has a lot of talent. They are very capable of beating Mentor in the regular season. Last year's game was a shootout. Euclid has historically done very well at home against Mentor.
I agree that Euclid has the talent to win it, but things that could prevent them in the end to winning it is:

1. being basically 1 dimensional. Even though they are good at running the ball, it's tough to win at D1 level when you are 1 dimensional. Not to mention, who is there QB? He will be a first year starter. And I know most of the big boys are also starting first year QB's.

2. Discipline/Undiscipline. Depending on how you look at it, they can make many mental mistakes. Those little things will cost you in big games.

3. Their seeding/playoff matchups would be huge. If they have to run a 3 game gauntlet of Stow, Mentor, Iggy/Eds, (or any combination of that), I don't think they have 3 perfect games in a row in them. (IMHO). And that is what it would take if the 3 in row matchups don't align for them.

4. Their lack of a kicking/punting game. Man that is so huge in the playoffs. Shorter fields, no FG's, all XP going for 2, always losing the field position game when it comes time to punt.
Old 07-29-18, 11:50 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree that Euclid has the talent to win it, but things that could prevent them in the end to winning it is:

1. being basically 1 dimensional. Even though they are good at running the ball, it's tough to win at D1 level when you are 1 dimensional. Not to mention, who is there QB? He will be a first year starter. And I know most of the big boys are also starting first year QB's.

2. Discipline/Undiscipline. Depending on how you look at it, they can make many mental mistakes. Those little things will cost you in big games.

3. Their seeding/playoff matchups would be huge. If they have to run a 3 game gauntlet of Stow, Mentor, Iggy/Eds, (or any combination of that), I don't think they have 3 perfect games in a row in them. (IMHO). And that is what it would take if the 3 in row matchups don't align for them.

4. Their lack of a kicking/punting game. Man that is so huge in the playoffs. Shorter fields, no FG's, all XP going for 2, always losing the field position game when it comes time to punt.
Game day coaching is what will beat Euclid. Rotsky may be able to bring in talent but he doesn't coach them up well. He is constantly out prepared and outmanaged on game days. One thing you will hear though is a ton of barking at players and many words used by the coaching staff that are not appropriate at the dinner table. I have never seen a high school coaching staff scream that no d of language and get away with it.
Old 07-29-18, 12:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Game day coaching is what will beat Euclid. Rotsky may be able to bring in talent but he doesn't coach them up well. He is constantly out prepared and outmanaged on game days. One thing you will hear though is a ton of barking at players and many words used by the coaching staff that are not appropriate at the dinner table. I have never seen a high school coaching staff scream that no d of language and get away with it.
That kind of behavior towards your players is unacceptable. Administration has to take full responsibility. Anyone that has ever watched Euclid play, has seen the child like antics and BS sideline behavior. Every ref knows it's coming and does nothing. That is a joke too. As the head coach, you are the example setter. And he is a horrible example setter. I'm surprised the kids don't just tie him to a tree and leave him there on every game day.
Old 07-30-18, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
That kind of behavior towards your players is unacceptable. Administration has to take full responsibility. Anyone that has ever watched Euclid play, has seen the child like antics and BS sideline behavior. Every ref knows it's coming and does nothing. That is a joke too. As the head coach, you are the example setter. And he is a horrible example setter. I'm surprised the kids don't just tie him to a tree and leave him there on every game day.
The Euclid admin is very aware of the language and behavior and they don't care. They want to see wins put up on the board. Rotsky will also get a hand full of kids into colleges and that will satisfy the admin. His antics are tolerated also because he has more power at the school than the AD and principals. He has accomplished this by getting the board of ed on his side. He basically has to answer only to them.
Old 07-30-18, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
The Euclid admin is very aware of the language and behavior and they don't care. They want to see wins put up on the board. Rotsky will also get a hand full of kids into colleges and that will satisfy the admin. His antics are tolerated also because he has more power at the school than the AD and principals. He has accomplished this by getting the board of ed on his side. He basically has to answer only to them.
I am just blown away by reading this. The inmate running the asylum. No wonder kids transfer. Reading this, and if it is all true, I know there is no way I would put up with him as the Head Coach for a son of mine. The moving vans would be on stand by! The entire Board should get ousted! Lack of character, ethics, and doing what is in the best interest of the kids is all missing. Tragic state of affairs in Euclid School District. (IMHO).

Last edited by bkmk1; 07-30-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 05:25 PM
All Yappi

You guys should start a thread on rotsky and Euclid. Both have nothing to do with Mentor.

Old 07-30-18, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

Does anyone have an updated depth chart for mentor and some backups to look out for in upcoming scrimmages ?

Old 07-30-18, 07:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
You guys should start a thread on rotsky and Euclid. Both have nothing to do with Mentor.

You are right. It started when it was about Mentor and the top teams in the region. But this is not the thread to be going into Euclid and Rotsky. My sincere apologies.
Old 07-30-18, 07:09 PM
All Ohio

I am very much pumped to see Eds at Mentor week 1. A classic matchup!
Old 07-30-18, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Next opponent preview is Medina: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com
Old 07-30-18, 09:08 PM
All Yappi

While we have seen it posted on this thread and I have heard rumblings if it as well, the News-Herald confirms that sophomore Ian Kipp will be the starting QB. I honestly expected a little competition, but if they know Kipp can handle it - best to leave Floriea at his position of strength.

It isnít unusual for Triv to start a promising sophomore at QB. Tanski, Trubisky, and Tatarunas all did. Those are some big careers to live up to. Hopefully Kipp can be another one of the greats at Mentor.
Old 07-31-18, 11:46 AM
Varsity

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While we have seen it posted on this thread and I have heard rumblings if it as well, the News-Herald confirms that sophomore Ian Kipp will be the starting QB. I honestly expected a little competition, but if they know Kipp can handle it - best to leave Floriea at his position of strength.

It isnít unusual for Triv to start a promising sophomore at QB. Tanski, Trubisky, and Tatarunas all did. Those are some big careers to live up to. Hopefully Kipp can be another one of the greats at Mentor.
Kipp is 6'-2", Floriea is 5'-10"...I'm sure that had some influence on Triv's decision.
Old 07-31-18, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post
Kipp is 6'-2", Floriea is 5'-10"...I'm sure that had some influence on Triv's decision.

Who knows? There are several factors for a coach in a position like this. Height is important, but how important? Lukeís older brother was relatively short and he had a great senior season at QB. Floriea is such a talented receiver, that was likely an important factor as well.
Old 07-31-18, 01:27 PM
Varsity

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Who knows? There are several factors for a coach in a position like this. Height is important, but how important? Luke’s older brother was relatively short and he had a great senior season at QB. Floriea is such a talented receiver, that was likely an important factor as well.
Talent is definitely the biggest consideration, but when your behind 6’-5” bookends in Jacoby and Samac, 4” is a big advantage. Only being a soph, there’s a good chance he’ll get a little taller. If Ian takes after his dad he may grow another 4-6".

Last edited by FightingCardinal; 07-31-18 at 04:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-02-18, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Here is my preview for Solon, Mentor's Week 8 opponent: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...on-week-8.html

I could see the Comets going anywhere from 5-5 to 9-1. If I had to make a prediction, I say this is a 7-3 football team and they squeak into the playoffs. If whatever happened at the end of last season lingers, Solon will have problems against Strongsville and maybe even Medina again...not to mention the strong teams on their schedule like Mentor, Euclid, and Stow. If they can figure out the QB position and get some better consistency on defense, they can play with and beat anyone on their schedule.
Old 08-04-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

Here is the skinny on Euclid: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...id-week-9.html

The Panthers, on paper, are the most talented opponent on Mentor's schedule. Their line will rival (or possibly surpass) St Ignatius and St Edward. Their top two skill level position players are better than any individual on Ignatius or Eds. Brandon Wright is a 6'3, 215-pound RB headed to Michigan State. We saw what receiver Dre'Von Lindsay (four TD's against Mentor last year) is capable of. Defensively, they have some talent - but last year they had trouble keeping some teams from going off.
Old 08-04-18, 11:49 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
cardzfan1234,

I really enjoy your reporting on Mentor's opponents...Obviously, a lot of time, effort and research went into your work.
Old 08-05-18, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Thanks, here is the final opponent preview on Elyria: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-18, 04:05 PM
All Yappi

According to Triv's interview from Cleveland.com, Brian Trobel sounds like a favorite to be the starting RB. I think Varney Spansel, also a junior, will be in the mix too. I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense use both backs on a regular basis. It made a difference last year in using Edmond and McDougal. Spansel got the most carries in garbage time last year, and made the most of it: 16 carries for 126 yards and 1 TD. Trobel had 9 carries for 60 yards on varsity last year. I imagine both were the regular JV backs.

Nick Saginario, a probable starter this season, is not on the roster. He would have been, at worst, the 12th offensive starter as he would have rotated in at RB and WR. A small, but speedy player.

Old 08-05-18, 04:17 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
According to Triv's interview from Cleveland.com, Brian Trobel sounds like a favorite to be the starting RB. I think Varney Spansel, also a junior, will be in the mix too. I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense use both backs on a regular basis. It made a difference last year in using Edmond and McDougal. Spansel got the most carries in garbage time last year, and made the most of it: 16 carries for 126 yards and 1 TD. Trobel had 9 carries for 60 yards on varsity last year. I imagine both were the regular JV backs.

Nick Saginario, a probable starter this season, is not on the roster. He would have been, at worst, the 12th offensive starter as he would have rotated in at RB and WR. A small, but speedy player.

Anyone know anything about Brian Trobel? Grade? Size? I thought Spansel would b the next starter.
Old 08-05-18, 04:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post
Talent is definitely the biggest consideration, but when your behind 6í-5Ē bookends in Jacoby and Samac, 4Ē is a big advantage. Only being a soph, thereís a good chance heíll get a little taller. If Ian takes after his dad he may grow another 4-6".
When Jake played QB a few years back, he got the job by default since Matt Eisworth quit football, thought he did an admirable job. From watching pregame last year, is was apparent the Kipp had a much stronger arm than Luke Floreia.
Old 08-05-18, 04:31 PM
All Ohio

No matter how good they are offensively, it will not matter unless they make a commitment to defense. A lack of defense has cost them two and possibly even three state titles. They have a ton of potential to be very lethal offensively but they have to be able to stop the other teams running game. I would have thought Triv would have figured this out after the first state title loss to H.D. then after the Moeller game in 2013 it should have been obvious. Now after last year's game where they got grinded up, it should be a top priority. If they learn how to stop the run and avoid the big pass plays, they could be special this year. It has to start and end on the defensive side.
Old 08-05-18, 04:36 PM
All American

Quote:

Don't particularly like the fact that the News Herald article is calling for Mentor to hopefully have "a season of retribution" -- the players are saying a "state championship, nothing else". I don't agree since that goal has never been attained and if they have a mediocre season, they look bad. Those thoughts and goals are better kept in the locker room.
Old 08-05-18, 05:35 PM
All American

Does anyone have the day/start time/place of all three scrimmages?
Old 08-05-18, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Don't particularly like the fact that the News Herald article is calling for Mentor to hopefully have "a season of retribution" -- the players are saying a "state championship, nothing else". I don't agree since that goal has never been attained and if they have a mediocre season, they look bad. Those thoughts and goals are better kept in the locker room.

High school athletics needs to be about more that winning a championship. I think they understand that. But I would expect nothing less than for Triv, the coaches, and players to have a mindset that winning it all is the goal on the field. Triv has had that mentality nearly every year since probably 2002. If you donít set the bar high, you want my meet it.
Old 08-05-18, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Does anyone have the day/start time/place of all three scrimmages?
News-Herald says 6pm start Friday at home against Jackson. Then on 8/17 at home against Chardon, start time is listed as 5:00. Not sure if the JV is starting at 5 and then varsity to follow. That is my hunch (and hope), but not sure.

Update/Edit: Cleveland.com says a 7pm start time for both scrimmages. Who knows?? My hunch is the time listed by the News-Herald is when the JV part of the scrimmage starts and the varsity will start approximately at 7.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 08-06-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 09:36 AM
Varsity

papride is on a distinguished road
Erie Cathedral Preps Schedule is showing a scrimmage against Mentor on Saturday, Aug 18th, 10:30AM in Erie. Is this true or has it changed?
Old 08-07-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by papride View Post
Erie Cathedral Preps Schedule is showing a scrimmage against Mentor on Saturday, Aug 18th, 10:30AM in Erie. Is this true or has it changed?

Not happening. Don't know how it got up on arbiter