Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-09-18, 10:33 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOFBallFan View Post
Mentor is losing a lot of great players but donít under estimate the kids coming up! Some obvious studs in Senior class coming up and the Junior class has done nothing but win on all levels, undefeated the last 2 seasons in JV and Freshman. They will start 1-1 at very least, not afraid to say 2-0!
Hard to predict winning either of the first two games. Mentor has a lot of inexperience and question marks at many positions. Also, Iggy's and Ed's always are reloading with players from throughout Northeast Ohio. Mentor should be greatly improved by the end of the year and could be better suited to win a rematch with either team if they make the playoffs.
Old 06-18-18, 04:39 PM
All American

SuperD1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Also, Iggy's and Ed's always are reloading with players from throughout Northeast Ohio.

Itís funny that you never, or at least Iíve never heard Colerain fans whine about Moeller, X, Elder and LaSalle always reloading with kids from all over southwest Ohio.

A seat at the big boys table means you have to stop whining.

Edís and Iggy reload every year from a talented pool of CYO and some public transfer kids. Mentor reloads every year from one of the largest school districts in the state. Mentor is a contender just about every year. Very much so this year. At some point ala St edward in 2010 theyíre going to knock the lid off their title drought.
Give the NEOH BS a rest.
Old 06-18-18, 05:18 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
I think Mentor earned their seat at the big boy table the first time they knocked off St Edward and St Ignatius in consecutive playoff weeks.

That in mind, there is a super difference between whining and pointing out the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-18, 05:31 PM
All American

SuperD1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
I think Mentor earned their seat at the big boy table the first time they knocked off St Edward and St Ignatius in consecutive playoff weeks.

That in mind, there is a super difference between whining and pointing out the obvious.

Well then letís point out the obvious. Parents can choose to send their kids to Christian schools if they want to.
Old 06-18-18, 08:22 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
I understand and that is fine. But never will I ever be overly impressed by the successes of schools in those positions. Moreover I am sickened every time I read someone who calls out public programs as somehow inferior.

Old 06-22-18, 10:33 AM
All American

I never whined about private schools recruiting -- just stating facts. I have stated before that kids that go to those schools have to go there the entire year - not just the football season. It is a sacrifice to travel to that school from wherever they live, which includes leaving for school earlier and getting home later. I am NOT a supporter of separating the schools for the post-season. I love playing the best competition available.
Old 06-22-18, 10:41 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
This is good for Cleveland HSFB.

Now ditch glenville and put a GCL team on the schedule. Worst case scenario youíre still making the playoffs at 7-3.
The GCL schools and Cleveland area teams like Mentor, St. Ignatius, and St. Edward really need to find neutral sites in the middle of the state to make these matchups fair and feasible. A home game makes the travel too far and too long for the visitor.
Old 06-22-18, 10:43 AM
All American

Where is the St. Edward game being played? The News Herald said it was at St. Edward, but another schedule said it was at Mentor.
Old 06-22-18, 11:28 AM
Varsity

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Where is the St. Edward game being played? The News Herald said it was at St. Edward, but another schedule said it was at Mentor.
2018 at Mentor
2019 at St Eds
Old 06-22-18, 11:33 AM
Varsity

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
The only scrimmage on Arbiter right now is the middle one at home against Jackson on 8/10. They have been doing the multiple team scrimmage involving Kenston for a few years now, so I expect that to continue. The other team or two that joins has changed over the years. No clue about third scrimmage. Last year they scrambled for an out of state team. Not sure what they will get at this point. With Massillon off the regular season schedule, I would like to see a return with them as the final scrimmage.
Scrimmage at Chardon scheduled for Friday, August 17.
Old 07-13-18, 06:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOFBallFan View Post
At QB it’s either Florea or Kipp, probably Kipp but I know Florea really wants to play QB.

WR, don’t rule out Nolan Vernon and Justin Luke, both going to be Juniors.

On the Oline, looking at Jacoby and Samac at the tackles. Three preseason leaders for the other 3 spots are probably Byron Floyd (Junior) Platt (Senior) and Sam Williams (Senior). Floyd can play all 5 positions on the line and is probably best sized for Center at 6’1/2 240. However, Williams is undersized and will probably play Center. Platt has some injury issues so let’s hope he can get and stay healthy. So probably Floyd and Platt at the guards.

Nose tackle, Frank Schmidt (Junior) not sure who else would rotate in.

That’s all I got right now..
I heard Kipp is the QB and that he looked far and away the best in 7-on-7s. Floreia must be very disappointed but he is too valuable in the slot, where he will be counted on to have a big year. Only a junior, he could be the next big-time playmaker, following in the footsteps of first-team all-state selections Daugherty, Blizzard, and Shea.

Last edited by CardzFan1; 07-13-18 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I heard Kipp is the QB and that he looked far and away the best in 7-on-7s. Floreia must be very disappointed but he is too valuable in the slot, where he will be counted on to have a big year. Only a junior, he could be the next big-time playmaker, following in the footsteps of first-team all-state selections Daugherty, Blizzard, and Shea.
Floriea showed a lot of promise last season as a receiver. I expect him to be very successful at either position. We know what he can do in the slot. I would think Triv will allow both QB's to share reps in practice and during the scrimmage season. I'm sure there is a "favorite" in the eyes of the coaching staff right now, but I would like to think they will give both of these guys a shot. The biggest advantage to Floriea at QB would be the difference maker he can be running the ball behind that big and talented line. If there is nobody that can adequately replace the production he would bring at receiver, that has to be a consideration.
Old 07-18-18, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

Week 1 Opponent Preview (St Edward): http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com

I am going to attempt to bring back my pre-season opponent previews. Interesting to note that Mentor and St Edward have played eight times since 2003 (including six playoff games). The record is 4-4. Since that time, Mentor is also even (9-9) against St Ignatius. The definition of an even rivalry. Fifteen years ago, who'da thunk that Mentor would play 26 games against the premier programs in NEO and end up with a draw? Triv might not go down as a state championship winning coach when all is said and done, but what a job he has done. Beating St Edward and St Ignatius in back to back weeks in the playoffs on THREE different occasions is outstanding.

I'm looking forward to getting a shot at the Eagles again. It will be interesting to see how Mentor's reloaded offense performs against an Eagles defense that is also trying to replace the bulk of their impact players. Unfortunately, I missed last season's playoff game - which is the only Mentor/St Edward game I have missed.
Old 07-20-18, 02:13 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Arbiter for both Mentor and Chardon has the 3rd and final scrimmage being at Mentor now

What is the reason for this change ? Are we going to play them in Chardon next year or is it a one year thing?

It definitely said at Chardon for many weeks before

Old 07-20-18, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Arbiter for both Mentor and Chardon has the 3rd and final scrimmage being at Mentor now

What is the reason for this change ? Are we going to play them in Chardon next year or is it a one year thing?

It definitely said at Chardon for many weeks before

I have no inside knowledge, but I would be surprised if Chardon wanted to scrimmage Mentor a second time in 2019. Sure, this isn't a real game and doesn't do any damage to their playoff hopes to play up. But I would just assume that Chardon (and even Mentor) would prefer to use this final tune-up a little more appropriately if given opportunity.
Old 07-20-18, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

Week 2 Opponent Preview (St Ignatius): http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...us-week-2.html
Old 07-20-18, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

Originally it was at Chardon in 2018 and at Mentor in 2019. Wonder if Chardon pulled out of the 2nd game ?

Old 07-20-18, 06:34 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I know Mentor scrimmaged Erie Cathedral Prep last year at Mentor. Are they scrimmaging again this year at Erie Prep? If so: date, time, where? Thanks for anyone in the know for any info.
Old 07-20-18, 07:55 PM
All Yappi

Not scrimmaging prep. All at home it appears. Kenston , Massillon Jackson and Chardon

Old 07-21-18, 08:15 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Not scrimmaging prep. All at home it appears. Kenston , Massillon Jackson and Chardon

OK. Thanks. I was hoping Mentor was coming to Erie to scrimmage Prep. Would've been a good scrimmage to see as well as a good scrimmage for both teams to see good competition as well as to see what they need to work on.
Old 07-22-18, 08:55 AM
All American

Quote:
Floriea showed a lot of promise last season as a receiver. I expect him to be very successful at either position. We know what he can do in the slot. I would think Triv will allow both QB's to share reps in practice and during the scrimmage season. I'm sure there is a "favorite" in the eyes of the coaching staff right now, but I would like to think they will give both of these guys a shot. The biggest advantage to Floriea at QB would be the difference maker he can be running the ball behind that big and talented line. If there is nobody that can adequately replace the production he would bring at receiver, that has to be a consideration.
Kipp is also very fast. The difference that I saw last year was the difference in arm strength -- advantage Kipp. Maybe Floriea has gotten stronger and is helping his throwing. IMO, Kipp is like Tatarunas with foot speed. He will get better every year. Spansel and Saginario will help the QB with the running game.
Old 07-22-18, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Next opponent preview is Glenville in Week 3: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...eek-3.html?m=1
Old 07-23-18, 05:03 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The GCL schools and Cleveland area teams like Mentor, St. Ignatius, and St. Edward really need to find neutral sites in the middle of the state to make these matchups fair and feasible. A home game makes the travel too far and too long for the visitor.
You'd think universities like Capital, Ohio Dominican, and Otterbein would be licking their chops to be able to host games like these. It would be great marketing for their respective schools.
Old 07-24-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Next opponent preview is Strongsville, a team that has a real shot at a top 3 finish in the GCC. They have a senior class that was rolling teams (including Mentor) as freshman in 2015. That group had a lot of guys take their lumps on varsity as sophomores before having a bounce back season in 2017. I think they can go 7-3 this year and return to the playoffs.

http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...eek-4.html?m=1
Old 07-26-18, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

Next opponent preview is Brunswick: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...ck-week-5.html
Old 07-28-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

On Cleveland.comís State-wide coverage, Noah Potter was named the No. 5 player in Ohio in their top 101 player rankings. Mentor was selected No. 1 in all of Division I in their initial pre-season rankings.

The games will sort these rankings out. Three of Mentorís opponents, including the first two weeks against Eds and Ignatius, are in the top ten. So is Euclid. It will be a very challenging way to start the season.
Old 07-28-18, 05:49 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't do any favors to Mentor making them number one . IGGY and Ed's had motivation anyway obviously , but now? Mentor offense lost quite a bit ? Top talent up front but is it 6-7 guys or just a few? New QB ?

Everyone wants to knock off # 1 if even in one poll , but in this case it's a LOCAL one for the early season combatants . My guess is the Catholics get revenge .
Old 07-28-18, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

I'd say losing to Mentor in the playoffs is more motivation than a preseason poll where writers don't know half the rosters ...

Nobody cares about polls

Old 07-28-18, 07:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
On Cleveland.comís State-wide coverage, Noah Potter was named the No. 5 player in Ohio in their top 101 player rankings. Mentor was selected No. 1 in all of Division I in their initial pre-season rankings.

The games will sort these rankings out. Three of Mentorís opponents, including the first two weeks against Eds and Ignatius, are in the top ten. So is Euclid. It will be a very challenging way to start the season.
There is no doubt that the early season games between the "big 3" will tell us a lot. But we all know the "big 3" will be meeting again in the playoffs and those are the games that count. The bigger meaning for these early matchups are the Harbin points because none of them have cupcake schedules. Someone could get left out at the end. I for one, hope not. I want to see the big dogs go toe to toe come playoff time. Euclid and Solon could be in the mix to push for the region, but odds are it's the "Big 3" battling for the region Championship in the end.
Old 07-28-18, 08:08 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I noted that the obvious motivation was losing to the team . You really missed that? Oh I get it you wanted it on the record that Mentor kicked their azzes and won . I get it . I assumed that most who reside here knew that .

Just more motivation for the Catholics who Mentor kicked the crap out of LOL

Oh did I just unwittingly provide more bulletin board material for the aggrieved Catholics who got crushed by mighty Mentor ?? my bad sorry