Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-11-17, 12:31 AM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Mvac 2018

There isn't too many MVAC posters, but will update with any news, schedules etc.

2017 was the first year of the league, and it went about as expected with the top 3 far ahead of the rest of the pack (all running clocks in games against the other 5 league teams) and sharing the league crown.

T1. Western Reserve 8-3 (6-1)
T1. McDonald 8-2 (6-1)
T1. Springfield 7-3 (6-1)
4. Mineral Ridge 6-4 (4-3)
5. Waterloo 4-6 (3-4)
6. Lowellville 4-6 (2-5)
7. Jackson-Milton 2-8 (1-6)
8. Sebring 0-10 (0-7)

Last edited by kingpin2010; 12-11-17 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-17, 01:44 AM
All World

Here is schedules with a little preview for each team starting at the bottom:

Sebring: The big question will be does Sebring even field a team in 2018? The Trojans had a respectable 4-6 campaign in 2016 but barely had enough players to have a team in 2017, and they had one game that didn't end in a running clock (26 point loss to Lowellville).

1- Windham H
2- Southington A
3- Mathews A
4- Western Reserve H
5- Jackson-Milton A
6- Springfield A
7- Lowellville A
8- McDonald H
9- Waterloo H
10- Ridge H

Jackson-Milton: Coming off the 2 best season in school history and back to back playoff appearances the Jays had a rough 2017 with a coaching change and a drop to 2 wins. The Jays did have good numbers out and the playoffs are still fresh in their minds, I think JM will be in store for an improved 2018.

1- Southington A
2- Newton Falls H
3- Windham A
4- Springfield H
5- Sebring H
6- McDonald A
7- Waterloo A
8- Lowellville H
9- Ridge H
10- Western Reserve A

Lowellville: After the 0-9 2016 year, the rockets returned everyone and improved to 4-6. There will be some holes to fill this year and it'll be really telling to see if this program is really headed in the right direction.

1- Leetonia H
2- Windham A
3- Richmond Heights H
4- Ridge A
5- Waterloo H
6- Western Reserve H
7- Sebring H
8- Jackson-Milton A
9- Springfield A
10- McDonald A

Waterloo: The Vikings were the newcomers, not having been in the old ITCL. They are also the biggest school in the league. They were able to win some league games and had one of their best years in a while, but still were blown out by the 4 teams above them in the league.

1- Newton Falls H
2- Creatwood A
3- Conotton Valley A
4- McDonald A
5- Lowellville A
6- Ridge H
7- Jackson-Milton H
8- Western Reserve H
9- Sebring A
10- Springfield H

Mineral Ridge: Ridge in 2017 had their best team in a long time finishing 6-4 and came up just short of beating playoff bound Lisbon. That said they were a team predominantly of seniors and were blown out against the top of the league. This will be a telling year for the direction of the program.

1- Py Valley H
2- Lisbon H
3- Newton Falls A
4- Lowellville H
5- Western Reserve H
6- Waterloo A
7- McDonald A
8- Springfield H
9- Jackson-Milton A
10- Sebring A

Western Reserve: Coach Hake got this program rolling and they were the only MVAC team to earn a playoff berth in 2017 with an 8-3 mark. Reserve will have more rebuilding to do compared to the schools they tied for the league crown, losing their QB and top WR off an offense that struggled to score against the top teams it played. They do have a good building blocks in running back Gatrell and incredible numbers of participation

1- Columbiana A
2- East Palestine H
3- Cambridge Springs (PA) A
4- Sebring A
5- Ridge A
6- Lowellville A
7- Springfield H
8- Waterloo A
9- McDonald H
10- Jackson-Milton H

Springfield: Springfield surprised a lot with their nice run in 2016 going 9-3 and knocking off South Range and they had high expectations in 2017, but perhaps those expectations were a year earlier. The Tigers suffered big losses to graduation and got out of the blocks a slow 2-3, but turned around with an impressive 40-14 win over WR week 7 and just missed out on the post season. They return Brungard for his 3rd year under center and a talented back in Snyder for a great dual threat offense.

1- South Range H
2- Brookfield H
3- Columbiana A
4- Jackson-Milton A
5- McDonald H
6- Sebring H
7- Western Reserve A
8- Ridge A
9- Lowellville H
10- Waterloo A

McDonald: McDonald was about 1 foot and 10 seconds from being 10-0 last year, instead they finished 8-2 and were on the outside of the playoff picture. The good thing is they were a team with a tiny senior class and return 18/22 starters including a backfield that consists of1400 and 1100 yard rushers

1- Brookfield A
2- Columbiana H
3- Champion A
4- Waterloo H
5- Springfield A
6- Jackson Milton H
7- Ridge H
8- Sebring A
9- Western Reserve A
10- Lowellville H

Last edited by kingpin2010; 06-21-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 02:02 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Saw McDonald-Springfield, Lowellville-Sebring McKinley, and Mineral Ridge-Jackson-Milton.

Lowellville did rather well this year considering the 2016 campaign. Seemed to have found a bit of an offense. And won the games you expected them to be able to win. Still a far leap from the top teams in the league, though. Sebring hopefully can keep it together next year. They were undersized, undermanned, and facing goliath every game. Truth is, they seemed to execute well. it's just they had so many disadvantages, they couldn't overcome the basic issue. Not enough players and the players they had weren't good enough to take on some teams with bigger rosters. Their depth was a huge issue as games went on, as well.

IF Sebring can add some more bodies for depth and they keep working on the sound fundamentals, they might break into the win column. Or, lose a few and might not even be able to play.
Old 12-11-17, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
This league needs 1 more really solid team. Right now the top 3 aren’t budging to the foreseeable future.
Old 12-11-17, 12:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Saw McDonald-Springfield, Lowellville-Sebring McKinley, and Mineral Ridge-Jackson-Milton.

Lowellville did rather well this year considering the 2016 campaign. Seemed to have found a bit of an offense. And won the games you expected them to be able to win. Still a far leap from the top teams in the league, though. Sebring hopefully can keep it together next year. They were undersized, undermanned, and facing goliath every game. Truth is, they seemed to execute well. it's just they had so many disadvantages, they couldn't overcome the basic issue. Not enough players and the players they had weren't good enough to take on some teams with bigger rosters. Their depth was a huge issue as games went on, as well.

IF Sebring can add some more bodies for depth and they keep working on the sound fundamentals, they might break into the win column. Or, lose a few and might not even be able to play.
I hope they are able to field a team, those kids always play hard and respect the game and their opponents. That said, I do hope they are proactive in monitoring interest, and if it's looking grim to pull the plug early and give the other schools time to try and scramble to find a replacement.
Old 12-11-17, 12:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
This league needs 1 more really solid team. Right now the top 3 arenít budging to the foreseeable future.
Agree, but it's unlikely. Ridge is the only school in the league I could potentially see get traction, we'll see what this coach does rebuilding them. The schools outside the league that fit (Brookfield, Liberty, Columbiana) all are in leagues I doubt they'd leave. So it is what it is, just gotta schedule solid OOC games to make up for it.
Old 05-08-18, 12:59 AM
All World

All the schedules are complete, except WR week 3. Arbiter and maxpreps show a game against Linsly (WV) for Saturday 10/6, which obviously isn't correct since they will be playing Springfield the night before. Maybe it's just an error and they are playing Linsly the Saturday of week 3.

Last edited by kingpin2010; 05-08-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 06:32 AM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
Really have respect for Columbiana playing WR, McDonald and Springfield as out of conference games. If they win against these teams, they might be able to knock of EP in the EOAC.
Old 05-15-18, 10:54 PM
All World

A futures schedule update per arbiter is that McDonald will be hosting Crestview week 3 in 2019.
Old 05-16-18, 07:52 AM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
Really have respect for Columbiana playing WR, McDonald and Springfield as out of conference games. If they win against these teams, they might be able to knock of EP in the EOAC.
Clips definitely have a tough OOC schedule. Should help prep them for the better teams in the EOAC and hopefully the playoffs again. I've heard they added Manchester to their OOC schedule in 2019 and 2020.
Old 05-16-18, 10:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
Clips definitely have a tough OOC schedule. Should help prep them for the better teams in the EOAC and hopefully the playoffs again. I've heard they added Manchester to their OOC schedule in 2019 and 2020.
Manchester is always a tough program, and Columbiana will have to deal with their stud running back who's already getting D1 offers after his sophomore season last year. I do know the McDonald series has been extended past just a home and home, hopefully it becomes a week 2 mainstay.
Old 05-17-18, 05:49 AM
All World

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
What's the chances if Sebring does not field a team, that vacancy is filled with cross over games with EOAC teams on the respective dates coinciding with the EOAC losing Toronto? I know some in both leagues play in OOL currently, but I have wondered if this is a possibility.
Old 05-17-18, 06:39 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
What's the chances if Sebring does not field a team, that vacancy is filled with cross over games with EOAC teams on the respective dates coinciding with the EOAC losing Toronto? I know some in both leagues play in OOL currently, but I have wondered if this is a possibility.
This would work very well in my opinion. It is different than the old crossovers in the ITCL where much smaller teams were playing much larger teams. Some of the matchups would still be unfavorable, but, for the most part I think this would be a win/win for both leagues. I would love to see Lisbon and McDonald match up. Playing W. Reserve once in a while would be great. We have played some of the other teams in the past like Springfield, I would love it! Sebring is the issue, will they or will they not field a team. My guess is, they will, but may not finish the season. It could be like that for years.
Old 05-17-18, 07:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
This would work very well in my opinion. It is different than the old crossovers in the ITCL where much smaller teams were playing much larger teams. Some of the matchups would still be unfavorable, but, for the most part I think this would be a win/win for both leagues. I would love to see Lisbon and McDonald match up. Playing W. Reserve once in a while would be great. We have played some of the other teams in the past like Springfield, I would love it! Sebring is the issue, will they or will they not field a team. My guess is, they will, but may not finish the season. It could be like that for years.
Just for an idea, that scenario would put McD with EP on week 8, a respectable match up.
Old 05-17-18, 09:30 AM
All World

Haven't heard anything one way or the other about Sebring, so I'd assume that means they are fielding a team. As far as cross-overs if they do not have a team, I doubt there'd be any signed agreement between the leagues but most likely I'd imagine theyll look to each other to fill those dates unless it ends up with like Leetonia and Springfield. That said it looks like in 2019 the MVAC league schedule is getting shuffled
Old 05-17-18, 01:59 PM
All World

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Haven't heard anything one way or the other about Sebring, so I'd assume that means they are fielding a team. As far as cross-overs if they do not have a team, I doubt there'd be any signed agreement between the leagues but most likely I'd imagine theyll look to each other to fill those dates unless it ends up with like Leetonia and Springfield. That said it looks like in 2019 the MVAC league schedule is getting shuffled
Of course, the EOAC is a little concerned about Leetonia fielding a team. It will be interesting to see what the new coach gets out.

To be true Kingpin, I see both leagues looking to each other in the next 2 years, not so much as merger, but for games during the mid season. Both have similar size schools, a couple bigger D5, D6 schools, but mostly smaller D6 and D7.
Will be interesting in the next 2 years.
I know EP will continue the Salem series, they should have been playing each other for many years in the past as they were always 1 division different. Odd that Spaite never played Salem, his Clippers would be a good match up.
Old 05-22-18, 08:17 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
Former Niles and Youngstown east coach Brian Shanner joining Western Reserve this year. Kind of a interesting hire since I thought Hake was the quarterback coach.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/38242451/s...-reserve-staff
Old 05-23-18, 06:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
Former Niles and Youngstown east coach Brian Shanner joining Western Reserve this year. Kind of a interesting hire since I thought Hake was the quarterback coach.

I think in this day and age anytime a head coach can get a good, experienced assistant, he grabs him. Does not matter what position he coaches.
Old 05-24-18, 06:02 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post

Don't forget Hake was with Shaner at East
Old 06-21-18, 04:59 PM
All World

WR week 3 opponent according to the other thread will be a road trip to Cambridge Springs in Pennsylvania. No clue about them other than they finished 7-4 last year. Maybe some other posters can shed some light
Old 06-21-18, 05:03 PM
All World

Quote:
WR week 3 opponent according to the other thread will be a road trip to Cambridge Springs in Pennsylvania. No clue about them other than they finished 7-4 last year. Maybe some other posters can shed some light
Well, there is only 2600 residents in the boro.

PIAA District 10. Would be a D6 in Ohio. 146 boys.

Last edited by bulldog1974; 06-21-18 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 05:38 PM
All World

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Well, there is only 2600 residents in the boro.

PIAA District 10. Would be a D6 in Ohio. 146 boys.
Wait a minute, doesn't the PIAA and WPIAL use all 4 grades for enrollment count? If so, that would make Cambridge Springs a D7 under Ohio classifications.
Old 06-21-18, 07:28 PM
All World

No. PIAA uses the same count ohsaa does.

Cambridge Springs are also the Blue Devils. Team/school/town is called Spa by many as a nickname.

WR will win easily.
Old 06-21-18, 07:37 PM
All World

More info, they're 1A in PA, they played in a state title game 20 years ago.

Spa is part of Penn Crest School District which covers the rural areas of northern Crawford County. They're one of the high schools in the district, including Maplewood and Saegertown. They're easily the better of the three schools for football most years. There's been talk of consolidation for years but there's no agreement how to combine them. Their neighbors to the southwest consolidated from three schools in one district into Conneaut (Conneaut Lake, Conneaut Valley and Linesville). Most probably thought Penn Crest would consolidate first.
Old 06-22-18, 12:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
No. PIAA uses the same count ohsaa does.

Cambridge Springs are also the Blue Devils. Team/school/town is called Spa by many as a nickname.

WR will win easily.
Obviously you know more about them so I'll defer, but I did see they had a close game against Ferrell last year in the regular season and Farrell has had some really good teams the last few years, even winning state I think recently.
Old 06-22-18, 01:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Obviously you know more about them so I'll defer, but I did see they had a close game against Ferrell last year in the regular season and Farrell has had some really good teams the last few years, even winning state I think recently.
Part of the flaw in the PIAA playoffs. By the time Farrell played Spa, they knew they were the top seed in District 10 Class 1A. Had nothing to play for. Next week, rolled over Cochranton with ease, 62-0 to close out the regular season.

D10 Championship game rematch against Spa was 52-27 and it wasn't really that close. In the game that mattered, they obliterated them until they didn't need to keep up the pressure. It was 46-7 at the half.

Last year in D10 1A, there was only FIVE teams (Youngsville dropped football and co-oped with Warren). You had, in general order of ability: Farrell, West Middlesex, Cambridge Springs, Union City, and Cochranton. Sure, they can go up or down....

But, NO NORTHERN DISTRICT 10 TEAM has won a District 10 1A title since.... 2007 Mercyhurst Prep. Last northern public to win D10 1A?..... Cambridge Springs in 1996.

Mercer County, otherwise has dominated.

Since 1996, championships by team:

8 -- Sharpsville
6 -- Farrell
3 -- West Middlesex
2 -- (Hermitage) Kennedy Catholic
1 -- (Stoneboro) Lakeview
1 -- (Erie) Mercyhurst Prep

And to make that Farell 6 wins even more notable, Farrell has only been a member of District 10 since 2006. Formerly they were District 7 (WPIAL). A lot of border teams have jumped from one to the other. Slippery Rock, Wilmington, West Middlesex, and Farrell were all in D7 at one point or another).

And 2A, the southern domination is even worse. Mercer/Lawrence/Butler county teams haven't lost the District 10 to a northern school since 1993, when Northwestern beat Mercer, 7-6. Since then, other than Slippery Rock southeast of Mercer in Butler County, Mercer County schools dominated 2A over Crawford, Venango, Erie, and Warren counties.

10 -- (New Wilmington) Wilmington
5 -- (Hermitage) Hickory
5 -- Sharon
2 -- Slippery Rock (Butler Co.)
1 -- (Greenville) Reynolds
1 -- Grove City

Only in 3A and up does the Erie county schools really stand a chance. And higher up only because the largest school in Mercer County is now 3A (Grove City was 4A for a cycle, but played up to 5A with virtually everyone else to avoid Cathedral Prep).

Aside from all that, Spa is a decent team for their area. A small town, a rural area, that plays decent, fundamental football. They're doing well right now because their QB Noah Reisenauer (and yes, I have to look up the spelling every time), was really good. But he's graduated and I'm not sure if their replacement will live up to his standards this year. Either way, Western Reserve will probably come out like Farrell does, destroy them with their defense, and as they get further and further down, just pick them apart offensively.

Also, a note about PA schools, the size of the city has little indication the size of the population the district or attendance zone of a district may cover. Though Penn Crest is an oddball (one of only three multi-high school districts left in D10 with Crawford Central ((Meadville and Cochranton)) and Warren County (Warren, Youngsville, Sheffield, and Eisenhower)), the general idea of district alignments is a school is centered in a town, and then branches out in almost all directions until you run up to another school's district.

There's a small cluster around Sharon/Hermitage: Sharon, Hickory, Farrell, and Sharpsville. But then area schools such as West Middlesex, Wilmington, Mercer, Commodore Perry (no football), Grove City, Lakeview, Greenville, and Jamestown (no football). The only really 'odd' school is Reynolds, just south of Greenville, that just covers the area created from Camp Reynolds, a WWII installation that is long since gone. But, with the influx of people, this 'townless' area got their own school and covers the areas south and west of Greenville, in the middle of the county bordered by Hickory, Lakeview, Mercer, etc. Reynolds is probably the closest you'd find to a "local school district' the way Ohio sets them up covering the rural areas of a county in big chunks.
Old 06-24-18, 06:23 PM
All World

Ah ok that makes sense now that the regular season game wasn't for anything. Despite being just across the border don't really follow PA football, just know Farrel and Wilmington are usually really good. Going to be a long haul for WR and looks like they're only going to have 4 home games this year.
Old 07-05-18, 10:35 PM
All World

According to arbiter Western Reserve will be scrimmaging Hubbard, The eagles are always a very good D3-4 squad, should be a great learning experience for WR. McDonald will be scrimmaging South Range again. Good to see the top teams in the league scrimmaging successful bigger schools, will only help going forward!
Old 07-19-18, 09:56 PM
Varsity

TheBlueMan is on a distinguished road
Baring some kind of injury, McDonald should a multifarious type backfield with 3 backs getting over 1200 yards. QB seemingly is always an issue despite throwing very little. Looking at the schedule, something would have to go very wrong for them to lose more than 1 game in the first 10.
Old 07-20-18, 05:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueMan View Post
Baring some kind of injury, McDonald should a multifarious type backfield with 3 backs getting over 1200 yards. QB seemingly is always an issue despite throwing very little. Looking at the schedule, something would have to go very wrong for them to lose more than 1 game in the first 10.
I really doubt they get 3 guys to 1200. All 3 are talented enough, but there probably isnít enough touches to get there, especially since I doubt theyíll split evenly the carries. Cintron is the best runner and will get a good portion of the carries.

As far as the schedule there is definitely going to be some challenges. Springfield being the toughest, they return Brungard and Snyder. Columbiana returns their qb and weapons and they run an offense that McDonald struggled to stop last year. And obviously WR will be tough.