Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-19-18, 09:12 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
2018 West Jefferson Roughriders

First 7 on 7 is this Saturday at home vs North Union, Bloom Carroll and West fall. Who's going?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-18, 04:02 AM
All District

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
Didn't get to make it out yesterday and haven't heard anything just yet!
All I can say about wj this season is the team will go how far their
QB (Justin Williams) will take them!
They will be loaded at the RB position, should be fine at WR and the O-line and defense will come together.
2018 will be another one and done for a qb at wj but starting next season, we should start to see multiple year qb's for the riders.

2018 Schedule!

Date Opponent Result

8/24
7pm
Philo- H

8/31
7:00p
Ready-H

9/7
7PM
Greenon- A

9/14
7PM
Cedarville-H

9/21
Catholic Central-A

9/28
Fairbanks-H

10/5
7PM
Mechanicsburg-A

10/12
7pm
Northeastern-H

10/19
7pm
West Liberty-Salem-H

10/26
7pm
Triad-A

Last season, wj didn't play a team in the Max Preps top 300.
This season though, wj starts off with a Philo team, which will start off the season at #140.
Philo has made the post season the last few years as the lower seeds and have surprised a lot of higher seeds and they should field another good team this year as well.
Week 2, the wj @ Ready matchup is back on and head coach Brian Cross brings back a very young playoff team from last season ranked #287th this year.
Ready lost in the 1st round last year to eventual state champ, Wheelersburg.
Rival Mechanicsburg will be much improved this season coming off their 1st round loss last season.
The Burg returns 8 starters on both sides of the ball along with their QB and this season comes in ranked just slightly under #300.
West Liberty Salem- Dan McGill will return at the helm for what should be a much improved team as well for the tigers and they will be looking forward to doing nothing more but spoil senior night at wj and return the favor like wj did to them last year.
A dark horse to keep your eye on this year should be Triad.
The Cardinals, led by head coach Joe Cardinal, returns 19 starters this season including all their skill position players (QB, RB, WR, OL, & DL)
Last but not least, Fairbanks- The Panthers returns a crop of great players and a team that gave wj fits last year cause of their speed.
Look for more of the same thing from them this year.
Old 08-02-18, 04:23 PM
All District

WJfan4life is on a distinguished road
good luck Riders !!!!!!!
Old 08-02-18, 05:50 PM
All District

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
Wheelersburg will have some things to sort out early. But it looks like the Oline is bigger than last year. After losing everyone but the center, they are going to need time to gel. But if they can Give Salyers time to hit Holden and Mathews, look out. This is going to be a fun ride. Good luck to your Riders. I hope we get a chance to meet up in November.
Old 08-02-18, 06:06 PM
Freshman

jamiesgirlfor8yrs is on a distinguished road
We are very excited to get the season started! Go Riders!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-18, 03:31 PM
Freshman

Scrimmage Tuesday for Riders

Old 08-06-18, 04:49 PM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Who do the Riders play in their jamboree game??
Old 08-06-18, 05:05 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Who do the Riders play in their jamboree game??
Zane Trace

Old 08-07-18, 06:01 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Kind of surprised with how quiet the West Jeff thread has been. Are there any former huddlers on here? West Jeff threads were always very busy in those days.
Old 08-07-18, 07:03 AM
Varsity

Brutus SG is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure why that is. I know I am somewhat out of the loop now that the kids and the parents of the kids I knew or graduated with that I coached when they were little have graduated. I do not live in town or coach anymore and haven't for 6 years so I do not receive any information on how they look or what is coming up the pipe line to the high school. The information I would receive would be through Yappi. I'm sure W.J. will reload like they always do. They will have another dual threat quarterback, a good running game, and a tough d. But who knows.... Love this time of year. I'm also happy with what league they are in now. I was so happy when W.J. finally got back into a league (Mid State Cardinal) after being independent for awhile. Although, the bus trips we had to make to Liberty Union, Berne Union, Millersport, and Fisher Catholic were not as pleasant. But getting a W always made the bus trip a heck of a lot better. Love this small school conference!!!!
Old 08-08-18, 07:19 AM
Varsity

Any news on how the scrimmage with London went yesterday?
Old 08-08-18, 07:23 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus SG View Post
Any news on how the scrimmage with London went yesterday?
Went pretty good. We will have to tweak a few things but over all not bad.

Old 08-08-18, 09:08 AM
Varsity

a_raider32 is on a distinguished road
How well did they compete with London and Miami Trace?
Old 08-09-18, 07:22 AM
All District

They had no issue with Miami Trace. London was tougher and that Kj kid is the real deal at Running Back. He did break a couple runs. We were farther along last year than we were this year but I think that's to be expected. That being said there's definitely some very good talent out there. I'm sure coach will have them ready come game 1 in a tough match up against what has been a good Philo team, not to mention Ready week 2
Old 08-09-18, 08:20 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Is this West Jeff team expected to take a step back from last years? Looking at Ready's roster they have 10 seniors and 22 juniors listed, not sure how many are starters though.
Old 08-09-18, 09:45 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus SG View Post
I'm not sure why that is. I know I am somewhat out of the loop now that the kids and the parents of the kids I knew or graduated with that I coached when they were little have graduated. I do not live in town or coach anymore and haven't for 6 years so I do not receive any information on how they look or what is coming up the pipe line to the high school. The information I would receive would be through Yappi. I'm sure W.J. will reload like they always do. They will have another dual threat quarterback, a good running game, and a tough d. But who knows.... Love this time of year. I'm also happy with what league they are in now. I was so happy when W.J. finally got back into a league (Mid State Cardinal) after being independent for awhile. Although, the bus trips we had to make to Liberty Union, Berne Union, Millersport, and Fisher Catholic were not as pleasant. But getting a W always made the bus trip a heck of a lot better. Love this small school conference!!!!
I remember going to the last game WJ and FC played as MSL-Cardinal opponents (NOT the last meeting betweeen the two, but the one before that.. the one that had to be played over two days, notably featuring an 88 yard punt from our guy.) It was at WJ, and I am prompted to bring this up because of your comment!! I mean, I get it and so does everyone else. Opposite sides of 270, by a margin, with games on Friday evenings usually entailing very long distances and LOTS of bus time. Driving to Lancaster or Millersport probably felt like the drive to D.C. But, with the topic broached, so it goes: that game that I mentioned saw me win $20 against my cousin on a bet based on who got there first. He took I-70, I took 665. That stupid mofo from Perry County didn’t understand the idea of “rush hour traffic!” Left FC at the same time, and I beat him by 5 min.

Anyways, good luck to the Riders from WJ. Class program, and even when they might have had a few sour peaches at times, I always walked away from a WJ game as a player, coach or fan with a maroon and gold handshake. Don’t beat up too bad on our Marianist brethren down Springfield way, this year!

(P.S. - hey, since this is a WJ thread and given I have no personal contacts there, I figured I would pose this question: about three or so years ago, I met a guy from Hillard at a Pirates game. He told me there is (or, was?) a bar out near West Jeff that has lots of really high-end, impressive and overall pilgrimage-worthy memorabilia of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Does anyone know of this, as a real place? If so, what is the name/address? Thanks in advance, fellers.
Old 08-10-18, 09:22 AM
All Region

The only bar around West Jeff I know of is Maddens and I doubt that's it. I used to stop there every now and then when I was commuting to college in cbus. They have a few small bars in west Jeff but I've never been in them.
Old 08-10-18, 09:24 AM
All Region

You looking for Bobby Bonillia gear?? Lol jk. That 1990 NLCS was awesome tho!!
Old 08-10-18, 01:44 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
The only bar around West Jeff I know of is Maddens and I doubt that's it. I used to stop there every now and then when I was commuting to college in cbus. They have a few small bars in west Jeff but I've never been in them.
Maddens? Last I checked there was the Front Row, VFW, and the bar that caught fire which is called National Road Bar & Grille which was called Sidelines, and Drift Inn, and Rider Town Tavern... I better stop, I'm dating myself. The Drift Inn was when I was little. Then there was Strauss's Lounge, which turned to Peppers Lounge. Front Row was named many things. Just can't think of them. I can remember W.J. at one time had four bars, four pizza places, and 3 or 4 gas stations... LOL!!!!
Old 08-10-18, 03:05 PM
All District

Let's see, 3 gas stations. 2 traffic lights, 2 bars, 5 pizza joints a Subway and a McDonald's.
Old 08-10-18, 04:26 PM
All Region

Took my first date to Ann an Tony's and would stop in WJ from time to time when I worked my first job on 42 with a kid from WJ. Not often tho.
Old 08-10-18, 05:03 PM
All District

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesgirlfor8yrs View Post
Zane Trace

Nice pick up on the Jamboree game. Should be a cake walk. ZT had a regional final appearance a few years ago against Wheelersburg. Burg pummeled them and then got pummeled by ColdH2O the next week. Lol. They had another playoff birth the next year and made an early exit when Nelsonville-York took them to the wood shed. Good call on this one. Something the boys can build confidence on heading into week 1. Not saying they lack it, you can never have enough confidence.
Old 08-12-18, 12:52 PM
All District

Scrimmage with Bloom Carroll. West Jeff 3 to BC 0. Overall the boys looked good. Still plenty to work on. Looks like there's a few positions yet to be finalized and a couple key seniors that are hurt and not sure whether they make it back for the start of the season but still overall a good looking performance. Excited to begin the new season
Old 08-13-18, 11:08 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
Scrimmage with Bloom Carroll. West Jeff 3 to BC 0. Overall the boys looked good. Still plenty to work on. Looks like there's a few positions yet to be finalized and a couple key seniors that are hurt and not sure whether they make it back for the start of the season but still overall a good looking performance. Excited to begin the new season
We cant wait to see what this season holds for WJ!

Old 08-14-18, 03:32 PM
All District

Heard that this season might be a more run heavy offense by wj, maybe like 70-80% run?
Don't think they have a back like Inks, Mast or Ammen but I know Jones will be very good this year as a junior.
Old 08-14-18, 09:15 PM
All District

With 2 speedy tailbacks and also a fast QB I would say that's probably a safe bet. Not too mention this is probably the biggest offensive line for WJ that I can remember. I believe they average around 280 plus across the O-line. That being said though Justin Williams, the QB, does have a gun for an arm and Im sure Coach will utilize that as well. Much different team than last year though for sure.
Old 08-15-18, 12:22 AM
All District

If the O-line is that big, I'm trying to remember the last time that wj had an O-line that avg that big?
As long as they are not just big but no the fundamentals very well and are athletic will be special.
As of now, I'm planning on making the scrimmage Friday night if nothing else comes up!
Old 08-15-18, 11:48 AM
Junior Varsity

GoBucks15 is on a distinguished road
Definitely going to be a fun year and with me now living in Cincy I’m not sure how many games I will be at. I am for sure coming to the big ones. Excited to see what this team has in store. Last year was a memorable one and this year could be even more special! Go Riders.
Old 08-15-18, 02:53 PM
All District

WJfan4life is on a distinguished road
they are calling for rain for Friday night for the scrimmage game, hope it holds off. Go Riders !!!!!
Old 08-16-18, 02:47 PM
All District

$5.00 to get into the scrimmage game tomorrow night!