Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-06-18, 08:23 AM
All District

bagobones is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Brian's posts remind of the old E.F. Hutton stock/financial adds...Except when he speaks/comments...Nobody listens...
Don't be so hard on Brian. Remember, he did break the story on Yappi that Denzel Ward was fast.
Old 08-06-18, 04:46 PM
All Ohio

E-Town is on a distinguished road
From the Elyria Chronicle Telegram

http://www.chroniclet.com/high-schoo...-new-hope.html

Elyria recently hired a small school coach who took his team from 2 wins to 5 wins in only 3 seasons! Well, at least Elyria will have a new stadium for visitors to enjoy...and they have always had an awesome band.

I predict the new stadium will give the team a boost for the first half of the opener against Avon Lake and then its downhill from there to 0-10 for the season.
Old 08-06-18, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Elyria’s schedule doesn’t have many opportunities to win. Their “easy” non-conference game is against Avon Lake. Outside of Shaker, Elyria will be underdogs in all of the GCC games. They went 1-9 last year. Anything better than that will surprise me. Maybe with time the coach can get the athletes out there that can be difference makers. That is too bad about their star linebacker. Those are the kinds of issues you don’t see at Solon, Medina, Brunswick, etc.
Old 08-07-18, 07:17 PM
All District

Mike Gully is on a distinguished road
Different demographic, different kids, different issues.
Old 08-07-18, 08:42 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gully View Post
Different demographic, different kids, different issues.
I'm not trying to downplay the demographic aspect, but to me it's just an excuse, especially seeing that Lorain (granted it's now a significantly larger school since the merger) is exceeding what pretty much anybody envisioned despite having a lot worse demographics than Elyria (which half the population is for all intents and purposes suburban.) Though, I will acknowledge the LEL, especially in football, makes the path for winning games easier for Lorain than playing in the GCC.

Hopefully the new school/now stadium helps cultivate a winning culture. I have family ties to Elyria, right down the street from the stadium... so know about the demographic disadvantages, but also see some of the potential the school has athletically if it can get the kids to buy in.
Old 08-08-18, 04:56 AM
Junior Varsity

pgf1582 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Town View Post
From the Elyria Chronicle Telegram

http://www.chroniclet.com/high-schoo...-new-hope.html

Elyria recently hired a small school coach who took his team from 2 wins to 5 wins in only 3 seasons! Well, at least Elyria will have a new stadium for visitors to enjoy...and they have always had an awesome band.

I predict the new stadium will give the team a boost for the first half of the opener against Avon Lake and then its downhill from there to 0-10 for the season.
Why does every article mention how great Arno improved Wellington to 5-5? I wasn’t impressed by any of his teams there and he left them with an 0-10 team. He is now asking for 3-5 years of patience at Elyria. Good luck
Old 08-08-18, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

E-Town is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf1582 View Post
Why does every article mention how great Arno improved Wellington to 5-5? I wasn’t impressed by any of his teams there and he left them with an 0-10 team. He is now asking for 3-5 years of patience at Elyria. Good luck
The Chronicle always attempts a positive spin when writing about high school sports...it's frustrating at times, but at least they are consistent. In this case, there really is no way to spin the Arno hire. I'm guessing that the applicant pool was slim and he was the best option?

A good coach will do good things no matter what the demographic. Dave McFarland at Lorain has those kids believing in themselves and they play like they can compete/beat anyone. I wonder how Berea-Midpark would be doing in the SWC had they not pushed McFarland out?
Old 08-10-18, 02:04 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Figured I would put this in here since I alluded to middle school numbers from last year previously, and it's interesting (at least to me) to see how the middle school numbers are looking since it will have an effect on the varsity programs down the road.

Anyway, got the schedule for Claggett (Medina) and as I expected Strongsville went down to one 8th grade team (barely had enough for two 7th grade teams last year and should've really have only had one). Elyria is also down to one 8th grade team as well (from three 7th grade teams last year).

On top of that, was told that Brunswick also wanted to go down to one 8th grade team, but since both Strongsville and Elyria dropped down to one team each, they decided to stick with two teams to not create another open date to fill (Claggett still has one open that they are trying to fill ... Oct. 3). However, Brunswick isn't splitting the teams by school, they are combining all the kids and dividing them (expect them to load one of the teams and it will be an A-team and B-team situation .. I'm guessing each team will have 15-17 kids from going off what I saw last year.)

But next year, it sounds like Brunswick has already determined it will go down to one team for 8th.

I didn't pay attention to the 7th grade information or look at the schedule, but I'm guessing Strongsville and Elyria also went down to one team and Brunswick will also follow next year.

Bottom line, numbers are looking bleak considering the sizes of the schools we're talking about.

Medina seems to be bucking the trend. I didn't do a count, but estimate that Claggett's 8th grade team still is around 20-25 (had close to 30 last year) and it looks like the 7th grade team is also around 25 or so. I'm guessing Root, which went undefeated and won the GCC last year in 7th, is also around that 25-30 range. Not sure about the Root 7th, but there isn't any talk about considering consolidating teams.

Anyway, looks like starting next year, Medina will be the only GCC school on the westside that will field more than one middle school team at either grade level.
Old 08-10-18, 02:21 PM
All District

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Wow! Brunswick dressed 70 freshman three years ago and 55 the year after. Last years freshman team had pretty good numbers as well and was very good. I will be interested to see the middle school numbers once the games start but I would be surprised if the numbers are as low as you indicated here
Old 08-10-18, 02:37 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
Wow! Brunswick dressed 70 freshman three years ago and 55 the year after. Last years freshman team had pretty good numbers as well and was very good. I will be interested to see the middle school numbers once the games start but I would be surprised if the numbers are as low as you indicated here
I'm just going by what I was told. But I saw both 7th grade teams last year and South was in the low 20s and Willets only had 15. So, going by the usual attrition, I wasn't shocked to hear that they considered going to one 8th grade team this year. Doesn't sound like the 7th grade turnout was much better this year, but maybe I'm wrong, but the Medina coach I talked to seemed to indicate that there will only be five GCC westside schools next year in 8th (two Medina, Strongsville, Brunswick, Elyria).
Old 08-10-18, 04:07 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
I'm not trying to downplay the demographic aspect, but to me it's just an excuse, especially seeing that Lorain (granted it's now a significantly larger school since the merger) is exceeding what pretty much anybody envisioned despite having a lot worse demographics than Elyria (which half the population is for all intents and purposes suburban.) Though, I will acknowledge the LEL, especially in football, makes the path for winning games easier for Lorain than playing in the GCC.

Hopefully the new school/now stadium helps cultivate a winning culture. I have family ties to Elyria, right down the street from the stadium... so know about the demographic disadvantages, but also see some of the potential the school has athletically if it can get the kids to buy in.

Lorain is currently a competitive school with a lot of talent. When they first merged the schools they struggled. Elyria is experiencing a slump. Things will change. I also don’t expect Lorain to continue to be a 8 win 9 win team for the rest of time.
Old 08-10-18, 04:09 PM
All District

Anybody have any scrimmage info on west side GCC schools this weekend?
Old 08-11-18, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Trust me, Medina will make some noise in both football and basketball in the next couple years. A lot of people (myself included) have been saying that Medina is a sleeping giant for the past 10 years. Its finally coming. The talent and numbers at the MS/freshmenlevel is legit.

It likely won't be this year, or even next, but Medina will shed that country label soon (especially since they are doing a better job of keeping the Union Square area kids in the programs.)
I don't know about that....The class of 2018 was supposed to be one of the most athletically gifted classes ever for the boys teams and they were only able to get it done in soccer!

Also, the Union Square thing is a myth. Not many of those kids leave Medina, they end up being ineligible most times. The kids/athletes that are overlooked a lot of times are the ones coming out of St. Francis Xavier! Not many, but there are always 2-3 that perform well at some of the local catholic schools.

Tripp and Stockman are names you will always hear coming out of Medina.
Old 08-11-18, 01:06 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld View Post
I don't know about that....The class of 2018 was supposed to be one of the most athletically gifted classes ever for the boys teams and they were only able to get it done in soccer!

Also, the Union Square thing is a myth. Not many of those kids leave Medina, they end up being ineligible most times. The kids/athletes that are overlooked a lot of times are the ones coming out of St. Francis Xavier! Not many, but there are always 2-3 that perform well at some of the local catholic schools.

Tripp and Stockman are names you will always hear coming out of Medina.
The "being ineligible most of the time" is exactly what I'm referring to. Granted it's a small portion of the population, but there are a handful of kids from that area who I know for a fact the coaches (football and basketball) are being proactive in making sure they don't fall through the cracks.

It's actually a minor thing anyway because Medina has a ton of talent coming up (in both sports) even if you take out the Union Square area kids.

Btw, yeah Corey Tripp is going to be a monster (dropped 20-plus on Solon as a freshman). They got a lot coming up behind him (including a Stockman).
Old 08-21-18, 10:18 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
Do you know if Brunswick is fielding two 8th grade teams? A couple weeks, like I mentioned, they contemplated going to one but decided to stick with two. But I heard they may have changed course and decided to go down to one, but haven't confirmed that.

If so, Medina will be the only school with the numbers for two 8th grade teams. And sounds like both Medina teams retained most of their kids from 7th ... I think Claggett is down maybe two or three but I counted 26 at practice the other day.

Eastside GCC people, what's the situation over there? I'm gonna guess and say Mentor is the only one fielding multiple 8th grade teams as well.
Old 08-21-18, 10:24 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Eastside GCC people, what's the situation over there? I'm gonna guess and say Mentor is the only one fielding multiple 8th grade teams as well.

For the first time in many years, Mentor has less than three 8th grade teams. The district restructured the 6-8 into two buildings instead of three. Will make those middle school teams even stronger, but that also means less kids getting reps. Makes financial sense I am sure, but the move doesn’t help the depth of the football program.
Old 08-21-18, 11:50 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
For the first time in many years, Mentor has less than three 8th grade teams. The district restructured the 6-8 into two buildings instead of three. Will make those middle school teams even stronger, but that also means less kids getting reps. Makes financial sense I am sure, but the move doesn’t help the depth of the football program.
Could be worse. Elyria dropped from 3 teams to one. But yeah, it's tough seeing these teams getting cut down for exactly what you said. It means a dozen or so kids are gonna go from getting a ton of playing time to limited reps and another dozen or so may never see the field, especially since I'm assuming a school like Mentor has 40-plus kids on each MS team.

But at least Mentor and Medina are getting kids to play. The situation at Strongsville, for example, looks extremely bleak if their 7th grade numbers this year are what they were last year. They could be looking at fielding a total of 30 seniors and juniors combined in four to five years.
Old 08-22-18, 05:02 AM
All District

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Could be worse. Elyria dropped from 3 teams to one. But yeah, it's tough seeing these teams getting cut down for exactly what you said. It means a dozen or so kids are gonna go from getting a ton of playing time to limited reps and another dozen or so may never see the field, especially since I'm assuming a school like Mentor has 40-plus kids on each MS team.

But at least Mentor and Medina are getting kids to play. The situation at Strongsville, for example, looks extremely bleak if their 7th grade numbers this year are what they were last year. They could be looking at fielding a total of 30 seniors and juniors combined in four to five years.
Keep in mind that these schools also draw kids from the catholic elementary schools and the rec leagues. I know in Brunswicks case a decent percentage of the freshman rosters in any given year didn't play play for the middle school. You can will see 30-40 from the middle schools and another 20-25 from the other two sources.