Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-27-18, 10:21 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Youth Sports

When I coached youth sports, always thought it was best that kids try to do their best and learn different spots and not pigeon hole players at certain positions. Where some coaches partly because they were lazy and did not want to put the time in to teach the less athletic kids just kept the same players at the same position also because their only concern was to win. Really who cares if you win a little league title or a pee wee football championship. More important that children learn some fundamentals and prepare them for H.S. than win some Youth championship. Personally think the children would learn a lot more if their was no score keeping at the youth level ( below Jr. High ).
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I think learning how to lose is an important life lesson. Keeping score is important. Even fathers playing sons keep score. Keeping score provides a standard for improvement. A goal to strive for. Natural human instinct.

Now if the little munchkin does end up on the wrong end of the score (they LOSE) then I would agree we probably can find better ways to motivate them then by calling them worthless or many of similar tactics I've seen live through little johnnies do.
Old 02-27-18, 12:21 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
The kids know the score. It's just not a big deal to them unless it's made so by the mini-Lombardi adults of the world.

Most important parts of youth sports.

1. Fun
2. Learning to work together as a team
3. Fun
4. Fundamentals of the sport
5-infinity. Fun

Last edited by queencitybuckeye; 02-27-18 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
If the kids are old enough to play sports, they are old enough to count the runs/goals/baskets/etc. to figure out who "won". Even if they aren't officially keeping score. I never understood the rationale behind not keeping score to be honest. Doesn't mean you make it the emphasis of the games at the younger ages though. I remember one time coaching T-Ball (which in our area was coach pitch for 4 pitches and then the Tee) someone from the other team hit a ground rule double. I told the other coach to have him run to second as it was a legit hit. Some people thought I was crazy for allowing the kid more than one base at a time. I thought they were crazy for not rewarding the kid for his nice hit and following the rules of the game. And don't get me started on the coaches that didn't want to take the kids off the bases when they were actually out....

As others have said, the key is to make it fun for the kids while teaching them them the basics appropriate for their age. And to see them improve from the beginning of the season to the end. Also, because you will always have a few kids that are just simply more athletic and understand the sport a little better, you try to find ways to get them exposed to facets of the game they don't have at their current level. For example, in coach pitch baseball you can't advance on passed balls. But at the next level up, you can. So when I coached, I tried to get some of those kids opportunities to be exposed to that by things we might do at practice or getting them opportunities to sub on teams in the next level up from us.
Old 02-27-18, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I think learning how to lose is an important life lesson. Keeping score is important. Even fathers playing sons keep score. Keeping score provides a standard for improvement. A goal to strive for. Natural human instinct.

Now if the little munchkin does end up on the wrong end of the score (they LOSE) then I would agree we probably can find better ways to motivate them then by calling them worthless or many of similar tactics I've seen live through little johnnies do.
Learning to deal with winning is easy. Dealing with losing is hard. It's good for kids to learn this and not protect them from it.

But yea, no need to demoralize them if they do lose. I had a good friend tell me his philosophy in youth sports one time and it makes sense. Practices are like normal days in school. You learn things, you practice things, you repeat things so they become habit. And then games are like tests....to see where you are and how well you learned from the practices. What is the point of yelling and screaming at them during the test. Either they know it or they don't at that point. Then you look at the test (game) results and use that for your next practices before your next test. It's a good strategy to use going into a season. It's tough to stick to all the time.

The greatest reward for me, as a former youth coach, was when players and parents from the prior year wanted to be on your team again.
Old 02-27-18, 01:18 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
If you don't win you lost. Teach all kids that. It's not ok to lose or you are loser. Everything should be a competition. Don't congratulate people that beat you, tell them they got lucky. Never admit defeat and never accept defeat.

I taught all the kids I coached that.

/woodcock
Old 02-27-18, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Old 02-27-18, 02:10 PM
All American

[QUOTE=Username1;6996570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Don't congratulate people that beat you, tell them they got lucky.

I taught all the kids I coached that.

Really ? Not that the other team maybe out worked your team, was better athletically or better coached. Or are you just being sarcastic.
Old 02-27-18, 02:14 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
I guess you didn't see the

/woodcock at the ends of my statement.

YouTube Mr. Woodcock
Old 02-27-18, 02:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I guess you didn't see the

/woodcock at the ends of my statement.

YouTube Mr. Woodcock
Copy that.
Old 02-27-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Every youth coach should be a Buttermaker
Old 02-27-18, 04:11 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
"The ambitious are criticized by those who have already quit!" In most cases I'd say it's safe to say bullies are quitters. Face up to them and eventually the bullying will stop. Instead, today parents are teaching their kids to be whiny little pest who need safe spaces and cuddly stuffed animals.
Old 02-27-18, 04:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
"Gooder on 3"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: