Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Archives

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-11-01, 11:02 PM
All Yappi

Dog Corporation is on a distinguished road
Grit..if you have any extrra time to yourself on the weekend...you should check out the movie "Amistad"..it explains alot of what happened in what youre referring to..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-01, 11:14 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
PolarBear,

My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I think any one on here that is a parent can feel the pain and concern you have for your daughter. But you seem to be a strong individual and hopefully you are conveying that strength to your daughter and she will learn how to deal with the morons of this world.

Dog Corporation,

I have a question for you that will probaby stir a reaction from Junkie as well LOL

What is your opinon concerning the motion being debated in Congress that the US Gov't pay all African-Americans an amount of cash as a award for having ancestors who were enslaved in the US?

I am curious to see your viewpoint on this one.
Old 12-11-01, 11:37 PM
All Yappi

I dont think all African Americans are entitled to what you mentioned..But it reminds me of the Rosewood massacre in the early 1920's which blacks were burned out of the homes by whites in Florida..Now something like that is deserving of compensation because it was a small Black town that blacks built for themselves and did quite well..but I dont think all blacks are entitled to being paid as a result of slavery..but there are black families(which is a small percentage) that are still directly affected by such unfortunate incidents..There is a similar thing thats going on with Jews and the BMW motor co when Hitler enslaved Jews to produce equipment for the Germans like cars and Tanks etc in WW2..now there are Jewish people wanting compensation from BMW for the work done,and BMW is basically not acknowledging that some of it ever happened.I would rather see black people continue to work hard for things they need/want as my parents did and their friends etc..But I dont like to hear when some people feel they are owed something when you can easily work for it just as we all have to.Even if by some bizarre chance that people get paid,(which I HIGHLY doubt),it doesnt erase the fact that slavery happened..I feel it would accomplish nothing.

Last edited by Dog Corporation; 12-11-01 at 11:46 PM..
Old 12-12-01, 01:00 AM
All World

Location: North Canton's Fans are the best. No violence, no jeers, few boos, but just 100% dedicated to their team.
GritDog
Send a message via ICQ to GritDog Send a message via AIM to GritDog Send a message via Yahoo to GritDog
I have seen bits and parts of Amistad. It is a good movie. But it also proves the point that Junkie was trying to make: Whites weren't totally responsible.

Good movie.
Old 12-12-01, 08:02 AM
All Yappi

I never said that it wasnt..but it also proves that people were forcefully taken by whites as well..I never said whites were the only people that treated blacks bad Grit..So its not about Junkie being right,its again about me answering the question put forth to me...As I said before,I know what Junkie is trying to get at in terms of reverse discrimination Grit..I never denied that..MoeDude seems to be the only person who kinda understands what Im getting at. The majority of this thread has consisted of why is it good for some,but not others IN THIS COUNTRY..and I have shown proof as to why in many instances on here.Junkie and I have agreed to disagree on many things but do agree its not a perfect world not matter how many facts and figures we throw at each other..Just as you may want to throw something at me,I can do so as well,and this could go on forever..

Last edited by Dog Corporation; 12-12-01 at 08:18 AM..
Old 12-12-01, 08:15 AM
All World

BlackCat is on a distinguished road
Being that I am a racist, due to my Federal League affiliation, I feel I need to throw in my two cents.

If our government is responsible for atrocities committed 100 or more years ago, then I am waiting for my check from England for attacking my ancestors in the late 1700's.

You can't hold someone accountable for horriffic acts unless they actually committed them.
Old 12-12-01, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

MARK this down..I AGREE WITH JUNKIE on the issue of Native Americans..But the majority of blacks in this country are of African descent,with the next %of blacks being of Hispanic descent...But like I said before Junkie with the Jews, BMW has already compensated some Jews from WW2 for the work they did when enslaved by the Nazi's but there are more Jews that are saying what BMW compensated was hardly worth acknowledging.

http://www.gamla.org.il/english/arti...9/nov/win4.htm
Old 12-12-01, 09:06 AM

Dog Corporation,

Thanks for the reply on the compensation issue. I think you are right. In the Florida case I think some form of retribution should be made. But a carte blanche payment to all African/Americans over slavery is divisive and wrong.

I think it is even rediculous to consider. I admit, I don't know the history of this proposal but IMO it just looks like a bunch of jerks trying to get some free cash.

Junkie, we could start a whole new thread on the Native American issue. YOu talk about a race of pople who have been totally screwed over they are it. It's a shame what our government did to them and still are doing to them.
Old 12-12-01, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

Again, paying any group of enslaved people anything I still feel it wont heal any wounds.Money is not a healer,its a materialistic thing because a certain sum of money can last so long,and even may give you a better life,and I would feel guilty getting paid for someone else's hardships,my tribute to them would be to honor them by being the best that I can be by recognizing what they went through and take advantage of things they never could or werent allowed to do.But like I said if any group of people are paid anything,it still doesnt take away the fact that their ancestors went through heck.The thing is,is to never forget what people have done and went through in the past to put others in the position to succeed in this day and age..

Now in the Jews case,the Jews that survived that period I feel are worthy of compensation,because they were there and personally lived through that period...But I dont see how any sum of money would suddenly make things alright in some scases with people.Do you say "its about time you paid me for what my ancestors went through now we're even"...BS.
Old 12-12-01, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
On the issue of african-american vs. black, the part that I don't understand is, there are white people in Africa, if they came to this country I guess their PC race title would be European-American eventhough they aren't European or American. And if a black person from Britain moved to America, they would be called African-American eventhough they were not from Africa. Is it just me or does anyone else find that messed up.
Old 12-12-01, 12:27 PM
All World

Location: North Canton's Fans are the best. No violence, no jeers, few boos, but just 100% dedicated to their team.
GritDog
Send a message via ICQ to GritDog Send a message via AIM to GritDog Send a message via Yahoo to GritDog
I think that the fact of the matter is that no one will get compensation for anything. Blacks will not for being slaves. Japanese won't for being in internment camps. Jews won't for Hitler and Stalin. Latin Americans won't for Jennifer Lopez.

What happened at that time can't ever be changed and won't be compensated for.
Old 12-12-01, 12:48 PM
All World

GritDog
You know, just lightening it up.
Old 12-13-01, 03:24 PM
All World

GritDog
What are your opinions on how people view Arabic Americans after September 11th?

I must admit, I did feel something aweful towards them in the begining (though I shouldn't have), but those feelings subsided.

What do you all think?
Old 12-13-01, 03:46 PM

I can't make a totally educated stand on this one. I will say I don't think there is a solution. That part of the world has been in complete chaos for all time. They don't trust each other and depending on what period of time in history onefaction or the other has shown no mercy towards the other in trying to control that region.

I have only read a couple books about that region and from both of them I get the feeling it is a hopeless environment that has no clear cut solution.
Old 12-13-01, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

Thats a hard one..I know people are looking at all Arabs with a leering eye these days..I remember seeing a special on Channel 3 News(WKYC Cleveland)not too long ago, where they sent 2 Arab guys in full Arab tradional clothing around Cleveland(with a hidden camera)in the city(downtown),and caught on film what things people were saying as they walked by,and it was pretty sad in a sense the things people were saying,and of all places as well,they sent them to a Browns game where people were really brutal... One of the Arabs said "they can understand why Americans are on edge, but there wasnt this kind of paranoia after the Oklahoma City bombing"...I mean there were even links to the WTC disaster to a couple of Arab guys who resided here in Canton breifly before they caught them in Michigan.And I must say,Im a little leery as well,and I hate feeling that way,but Im not going to go out on a tirade trying to prove all Arabs are bad...And seeing the video tape today of Bin Laden and Co. laughing it up,it makes me feel that he has something else up his sleeve even though he's running for his life.
Old 12-13-01, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
People have their own "prejudices" not only against racial minorities/majorities. But people from a certain city, region, etcera sometimes get pigeonholed. Its just a fact of life, I don't think it'll ever really subside. Just my personal opinion.

Here's some quick prejudices in everyday life:

A girl who shows some skin: She's a h** because she dresses like that. In some cases maybe its so, but in some cases its the people that wish they could wear what the girl wears and look good in it, or the guys who wish they had a girl that looked like that but couldn't.

Preps are stuck up: Some are, but I have met and become friends with male and females who would be classified as "Preps". There are some who are jerks and are snobby, but most of them are just like any other person. Heck some classify me as one, just because of what i wear sometimes.

There's some more....
Old 12-14-01, 04:06 AM
All World

GritDog
Well, I am kind of glad to see that I am not alone, but it still sucks for me. I try to be as objective as possible. I work with all kinds of people in many different social classes (I work with schools) so I get a lot of diversity.. but I still can't help but feel uneasy about some of them.. I hate to admit it.
Old 12-14-01, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

I think everybody has their own "prejudices", it might not even be a racial thingie.

Here's some prejudices about certain schools:

Hoover: Preps
Massillon: Hilljacks
Lake: Amish (Yoder)
Jackson: Mama's boys/Daddy's girls
McKinley: Gangstas

Thats just some peoples prejudices, stereotypes!!
Old 12-14-01, 02:12 PM
All World

GritDog
I agree, but I always remember people telling me that Massillon people belonged in a Mental Hospital
Old 12-14-01, 05:57 PM
All Yappi

Grit,

I believe there are some who belong there LOL
Old 12-14-01, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Smile

I'm actually allword's wife and I'm not sure if I am doing this right or not. He told me about the thread and I found your post most interesting. Allworld and I have an 18 month bi-racial baby and I haven't encountered the same problems you have. Our marriage raised more havoc than our child did. Are you married? I find that the fact that we are married changes things a bit. I think people take it more seriously when the two parents are truley commited to one another. I think it is very unfortunate that you have had problems and are worried for your child. I feel that the sky is the limit for my son. He has the best of both worlds. He will experience life from both sides. I am sure there will be some speed bumps along the way but we ALL experience negative in our lives. Black or white. I am so proud of my black family, and I hope that my post will enlighten you and give you hope for your beautiful black daughter. Just remember her generation will be filled with bi-racial children. They will be a race of their own.
FWI- The first white person (group, actually) to perform at the Apollo Theater Was Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

Other than that, I really have nothing else to say in this thread, other than that I believe people (whites AND blacks) always have had problems with predudice. It's sad, but true.

Even with more information and more education on race, you still must factor in what people are brought up believeing. I'm not taking sides on this one, because I am literally ON BOTH SIDES. (Mainly because of my daughter....)

However, I have had white people say derogatory things in reagrds to my daughter or myself, and I have had black people do the same thing to me.

Actually, when Caitlin was 6 months old, I was Christmas shopping at Belden Village Mall with her and my father, and two black guys walked past us, looked at her, smirked, and muttered the phrase, "Look, a F****** half-breed..."

I have never seen my father so angry as he was then. He went over to them and told them "The child you just refferred to is my granddaughter. I don't appreciate what you just said, and I doubt very much that my daughter did either. I think you owe her an apology." (They apologized to me for talking about my daughter in that manner...)

This came from a man who was one of the most predudiced people I have ever known. Sure, in his case, people can change. But as a rule, it doesn't happen.

You believe what you were brought up to believe. If you want to know the truth, I am scared for my daughter. White people don't completely accept her, and neither do African-Americans. So what does that leave her?

So for all of you giving your "opinion" on "how things are", walk in her shoes for a day, then get back to me....

http://jackson.stark.k12.oh.us/purplebear.gif
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-15-01, 02:53 AM
Let's Go Bears!

PolarBear is on a distinguished road
Thanks Mrs. Allworld!

http://jackson.stark.k12.oh.us/purplebear.gif
Old 06-25-02, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

Since there have been other threads on this topic, I feel this was a pretty informative thread of discussion on the issue, so I will bring it from the dead....
Old 06-25-02, 11:21 PM

Dog Corp.

This was a good thread. I really enjoyed your posts and thought you and Junkie did a good job keeping the topic respectable. I sense that towards the end Junkie was even beginning to understand your point of view. I know I benefited a lot from reading your thoughts.

Some day I hope to meet up with you in person. I have always enjoyed your posts in all threads.
Old 06-26-02, 09:56 AM
All Yappi

I appreciate it MD..it was in a sense annoying that seemingly the same thread on race issues keeps popping up,so I brought this one back ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: